ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Wisconsin pbp/discussion

Fans should not get so worked up, IMO.
Fan is short for fanatic. I'm sure you know that. This isn't tennis or golf; in my opinion, the fans should always be worked up and participating in the event - engaged fans are a huge part of what makes the competition fun to watch and fun for the athletes. As long as fans abide by the university's code of conduct, who cares?! Carver Magic is a real thing and I love doing my part when I have the chance to be there.

FWIW, from my seat on the couch, Gomez took exception to Turk’s shoving and let him know it, and then it was the boo-birds in the stands that triggered his post-match response. One slob in the front row was really berating him as he walked by between the stands and the table, which of course facilitated continued sign language from Gomez.

A bookie once told me a gambler feels a loss to to a greater extent than the win. That is what keeps them coming back.

FWIW, from my seat on the couch, Gomez took exception to Turk’s shoving and let him know it, and then it was the boo-birds in the stands that triggered his post-match response. One slob in the front row was really berating him as he walked by between the stands and the table, which of course facilitated continued sign language from Gomez.

Oh come on slushy! You missed an important piece to what triggered the boo birds. After Turk nearly got the 3rd period Takedown, Gomez was on skates until the end.
You also missed Turk’s apologetic gesture at the end, as they shook hands.
Gomez has the same after match actions as your little Punk RBY. They both stalled their ass off and snuck out a slim victory.
You like trying to get us upset because you know we don’t put up with stalling. That’s ok though, We just smile every time we walk by Gable’s statue.

Fan is short for fanatic. I'm sure you know that. This isn't tennis or golf; in my opinion, the fans should always be worked up and participating in the event - engaged fans are a huge part of what makes the competition fun to watch and fun for the athletes. As long as fans abide by the university's code of conduct, who cares?! Carver Magic is a real thing and I love doing my part when I have the chance to be there.

Just stick to Penn State meets then. The geriatric golf claps will serve you well.
Don’t get me wrong — I’m all for raucous cheering, and I don’t mind the booing of bad sportsmanship. But to get so angry about the outcome of a competition to berate an athlete as he walks by is just sad, IMO.

If Gomez singled that guy out and gestured, then sure, different story. But it wasn’t what happened.

Reactions: PSUer1989
You like trying to get us upset because you know we don’t put up with stalling. That’s ok though, We just smile every time we walk by Gable’s statue.
Actually, I’ve always liked @sstark46 and wanted to share some perspective from a different vantage point, and I figured he’d be ok with that. I knew others wouldn’t, but that’s nothing new.

I agree Gomez stalled to ice the win.

Reactions: sstark46
Eierman’s hand seems to be really messed up. Last year he would’ve cradled the guy on the first TD but he bailed out of it
He was definitely struggling with some aspect on that left hand. At first, I thought he was just messing with the wrap. But later, it was obvious that he was experiencing discomfort. He was wrestling with one arm for a while in that match.

Mike

He was definitely struggling with some aspect on that left hand. At first, I thought he was just messing with the wrap. But later, it was obvious that he was experiencing discomfort. He was wrestling with one arm for a while in that match.

Mike

AgonizingMajorDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: PAHURDLER
Actually, I’ve always liked @sstark46 and wanted to share some perspective from a different vantage point, and I figured he’d be ok with that. I knew others wouldn’t, but that’s nothing new.

I agree Gomez stalled to ice the win.
Just so I have a clear understanding; You’re fine with the boo-birds in the stands, who triggered Gomez’s response because they don’t like stalling and poor sportsmanship?
However, there was one slob who berated him and that’s not ok?
I understand this opinion, and I am ok with it, if in fact my interpretation is correct?
From my perspective, when Gomez started with the “bird chirp” hand signal, as his hand is being raised and then all the way off the mat, continues as he shakes his coaches hand, all the way around his bench and down the walkway in front of multiple sections of fans, He’s looking to be berated by the time he reaches this slob.

Gomez celebrating beating iowas 3rd stringer. Classy
My thoughts exactly. Hope he gets his ass kicked at B10s and NCAAs. I know we have a little showtime from time to time but he went beyond that IMO. I'm not a mean person at all...not a mean bone in my body. But just the same that little devil that sits on all of our shoulders from time to time was hoping that someone would say F it and tackle his ass as he was walking back across CHA floor on his way to the tunnel doing his little jerking off motions with his hands.

Honestly, I don't think what Turk did was too egregious, and on second watch it appears he may have even given a little apology when shaking hands. I don't have a problem with Gomez doing what he did in reaction to Turk or to the boos; that's part of sports and Fandom.

What I take issue with is fans of other teams calling Turk a classless punk because of what he did while also giving Gomez a pass

Edit: I do also agree that it was in extremely bad taste if anyone was directing offensive / racial words directly to Gomez as he was walking back to the tunnel

Reactions: slushhead
Just so I have a clear understanding; You’re fine with the boo-birds in the stands, who triggered Gomez’s response because they don’t like stalling and poor sportsmanship?
However, there was one slob who berated him and that’s not ok?
I understand this opinion, and I am ok with it, if in fact my interpretation is correct?
From my perspective, when Gomez started with the “bird chirp” hand signal, as his hand is being raised and then all the way off the mat, continues as he shakes his coaches hand, all the way around his bench and down the walkway in front of multiple sections of fans, He’s looking to be berated by the time he reaches this slob.
So, I would imagine we could agree there is some acceptable level of interaction between the athletes and the fans. Boo the guy during the match for stalling, fine. Guy gestures while getting his hand raised — not my cup of tea, but that’s where things have gotten to nowadays, so fine. But when the athlete is off the mat, the little game should be over.

Maybe I’d feel differently if we were talking pro sports where heckling players is part of the entertainment one pays for, and maybe some playful banter with college athletes is ok, too. But Gomez was reacting to people the whole way down the line before he got to that guy, and the rage in the dude was just so pathetic given the subject. Just really sad to have so much anger over a wrestling match.

You guys know your guys better than me, but I was impressed with Ybarra. 3rd stringer, freshman, in his 5th match against a D1 opponent of his brief career. That was an AA and the 7th ranked guy that he lost to 4-0 and he darn near scored on him in what was only slightly not an even match.
Warner and Jaydin let guys hang around like that as well. Just because you don't get bonused on by an AA doesn't mean you knocked it out of the park. It means the other guy just didn't get on his offense. Again, when it comes to Ybarra I just wish he would let it fly and try things. And as I stated in a previous post, he might have had marching orders that told him to stay on the defense and not get bonused so who knows what to think...

Honestly, I don't think what Turk did was too egregious, and on second watch it appears he may have even given a little apology when shaking hands. I don't have a problem with Gomez doing what he did in reaction to Turk or to the boos; that's part of sports and Fandom.

What I take issue with is fans of other teams calling Turk a classless punk because of what he did while also giving Gomez a pass
Thanks, I see your point. And I missed Turk’s apologetic overture.

Reactions: sstark46
Iowa looked good.

Wisconsin kept some matches close, but not a single guy in their lineup wrestled with any aggressiveness or urgency. Even their top-8 ranked guys wrestling third-stringers never sniffed a major. Gomez was quite pleased with himself that he hung on for a 3-2 win. GI Joe with lifelike hair at 125 (don't recall his name) was happy to stand around in the 3rd when he had a 4-point lead on Ybarra. Weiler patted Assad on the butt with 2 seconds left after riding him the entire 3rd, as if it's the end of practice. Weird.

Ybarra looked better but, man, he's got a long ways to go.

DeSanto looked great.

Eirman wasted some time, as always, but came through.

Turk looked as good as I expected him to look, maybe better.

Young scored more than usual.

Marinelli scored early, looked good against an undefeated guy...and looked like he'd beat him 3 times out of 3,

Not sure Assad's gonna make the podium, but he looked decent.

Warner is Warner, but a nice takedown for the win.

Cass looked superb.

Nice to see all the Reiland shirts, and a good send-off for the seniors.
Concur with much of what you said, Tarp. WRT Assad, he just doesn't look confident out there much of the time, especially against some of his better opponents. Against Brooks last week Assad acted like he was beaten halfway through the first period. He's another guy I would love to see let it fly a bit more. He's got nothing to lose so he might as well risk it all. I certainly don't think he lacks the talent...

Can’t imagine where Austin got his attention seeking from. If you believe that really happened I have a Carver Suite to sell you.
So you are 100% certain this couldn't have happened? Gomez is fabricating accusations of a racial slur to get attention? Seems unlikely you can vouch for every and any comment that might have been made to him.

Warner and Jaydin let guys hang around like that as well. Just because you don't get bonused on by an AA doesn't mean you knocked it out of the park. It means the other guy just didn't get on his offense. Again, when it comes to Ybarra I just wish he would let it fly and try things. And as I stated in a previous post, he might have had marching orders that told him to stay on the defense and not get bonused so who knows what to think...
I think a couple things cause Jesse to not let it fly: He doesn't have that many offensive moves and he relies on slide-bys/reshots(a la Warner), and he's lacking to horsepower to move guys around enough to make moves like slide bys work.

One thing I know 100% percent for certain is that TnT are not sending him out there with a message of "be on the defense, don't get bonused".

Last edited:
So, I would imagine we could agree there is some acceptable level of interaction between the athletes and the fans. Boo the guy during the match for stalling, fine. Guy gestures while getting his hand raised — not my cup of tea, but that’s where things have gotten to nowadays, so fine. But when the athlete is off the mat, the little game should be over.

Maybe I’d feel differently if we were talking pro sports where heckling players is part of the entertainment one pays for, and maybe some playful banter with college athletes is ok, too. But Gomez was reacting to people the whole way down the line before he got to that guy, and the rage in the dude was just so pathetic given the subject. Just really sad to have so much anger over a wrestling match.
When the athlete is off the mat it needs to end for the athlete as well, Gomez shouldn’t be interacting for this amount of time. I do not condone the angry guys behavior.
I’d say we understand each other, nobody likes a poor sport.

Seems a little too on point.
Kid acts like a punk, then all the sudden mom comes on Twitter with "but they called my son a racial name!" Definitely does seem a little too convenient.

This should go without saying but I'll say it anyways for all the Nancy's out there, I obviously hope it isn't true and certainly don't condone racial slurs being tossed at athletes, or anybody for that matter.

If the slur was said, opposing fan bases need to remember that there were a solid 14,000 people there, that's a pretty big city where I come from, and everybody can think of at least one village idiot even in the smallest of towns, doesn't mean he represents the whole town.

So you are 100% certain this couldn't have happened? Gomez is fabricating accusations of a racial slur to get attention? Seems unlikely you can vouch for every and any comment that might have been made to him.
first, prove it happened. 2nd people fabricate shit all the time and mostly for attention

first, prove it happened. 2nd people fabricate shit all the time and mostly for attention
3rd, people tend to get pretty fired up when they have racial slurs hurled at them. Wasn't there and am not saying it happened, but also can't prove that it didn't. Those preaching here that "it could never happen" might want to pause for a moment.

Reactions: PSUer1989

Slush: I usually agree with much of what you say, but not in this case. If fans don't get so worked up we don't have 14,000 plus filling the seats in CHA. I want the fans to get worked up. Not saying the guy in the front row was correct in delivering the lip service, but damn I love that place!! I wish I could see every dual at CHA and watch those fans get so worked up every time out! :)

Iowa city is up there with one being on of the most liberal towns in America. You yell something like that out you are going to get attacked by other Iowa fans more than any other teams parents
Really? Have you ever been outside of Iowa? Have you visited almost any city in California, or Massachusetts, or Washington, DC? Do you know what liberal means?
Again, I'm not saying it happened, but I'm pretty sure no one here can PROVE it didn't.

3rd, people tend to get pretty fired up when they have racial slurs hurled at them. Wasn't there and am not saying it happened, but also can't prove that it didn't. Those preaching here that "it could never happen" might want to pause for a moment.
You make accusations you prove it, not the other way around. Until them done with the attention seekers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT