ADVERTISEMENT

Jen Pawol is set to be MLB's first female umpire.

Ahem.......

Cosmo Kramer High Quality GIF

For players too

Hell, let's just turn it into a simulation. We don't need actual games played by imperfect humans.
why use thermostats, or thermometers to regulate heat? Or speedometers to gauge speed? just go by feel. Why use a tape measure? why use a fuel gauge on your dash? Figure it out by math. why use clocks to tell time? why use phones to communicate? Why use cars or planes to travel? just walk or take a sail boat. why use electricity to power your home? why use xray or MRI to detect medical issues? why use film or television for entertainment? why even televise games? why show replays? If you want to see games show up and use your imperfect human eyes

why use thermostats, or thermometers to regulate heat? Or speedometers to gauge speed? just go by feel. Why use a tape measure? why use a fuel gauge on your dash? Figure it out by math. why use clocks to tell time? why use phones to communicate? Why use cars or planes to travel? just walk or take a sail boat. why use electricity to power your home? why use xray or MRI to detect medical issues? why use film or television for entertainment? why even televise games? why show replays? If you want to see games show up and use your imperfect human eyes

TOS2x03.png

Nomad

Sterilize Biological Imperfections

Why not robot players?

Impressive. It's no small feat to get into professional baseball as an umpire, let alone at the age she began. And then to be on the cusp of making it to MLB, at age 47 no less, is really cool.

I have a friend who went to a "MLB Umpire Camp" with the thought of possibly becoming an ump. His eval said he was very good, but to old. He was in his 30's at the time.

Impressive. It's no small feat to get into professional baseball as an umpire, let alone at the age she began. And then to be on the cusp of making it to MLB, at age 47 no less, is really cool.

I have a friend who went to a "MLB Umpire Camp" with the thought of possibly becoming an ump. His eval said he was very good, but to old. He was in his 30's at the time.
I've been grinding for almost 40 years and my last eval was "lacks focus and discipline, doesn't work up to potential, and overall unsatisfactory." But that was my quarterly evaluation from my teacher wife.

• Haha
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

I also have a friend who went through the process. Was in the system for 10 years, got through triple A but since nobody was retiring after his 2nd year in triple A he was told "Thanks, but your window is closed. Good luck to ya!". His evaluations were all good enough to get chosen to go to the majors. It's a really tough career to get into and requires a large amount of luck to get a break.

I also have a friend who went through the process. Was in the system for 10 years, got through triple A but since nobody was retiring after his 2nd year in triple A he was told "Thanks, but your window is closed. Good luck to ya!". His evaluations were all good enough to get chosen to go to the majors. It's a really tough career to get into and requires a large amount of luck to get a break.
Did your friend ever get a shot to "sub" at the MLB level? My buddy would get the occasional call from Cedar Rapids to do a Kernals game if they needed a sub ump. Wasn't very often, and he enjoyed it even if it was a two man crew.

Reactions: lucas80
Man to female, or female to male?
I know you have issues with transgender women especially in sports, but I think this kind of comment doesn't really reflect your claim of wanting to protect women from unfair competition. I know it's a joke, but making these kind of comments about cis women doesn't further your cause.

Did your friend ever get a shot to "sub" at the MLB level? My buddy would get the occasional call from Cedar Rapids to do a Kernals game if they needed a sub ump. Wasn't very often, and he enjoyed it even if it was a two man crew.
I think he did a few times. When I say "friend", he's someone I know through work so I don't know every detail about it. It was just easier saying friend than trying to explain everything.

Human error by the athletes is part of the competition. Errors by officials screw players

Wrong. Human error is just part of the game. Human being the key element.

It amazes me how people are willing to let machines do everything. People just get fatter and lazier. Like Wall-E.

Wrong. Human error is just part of the game. Human being the key element.

It amazes me how people are willing to let machines do everything. People just get fatter and lazier. Like Wall-E.
A bad call on a strike(called a ball) almost cost the Cubs the 2016 world series....participants make errors...the rule keepers shouldn't . Speaking of fatter and lazier, there need to be more stringent standards on officials athletic ability

A bad call on a strike(called a ball) almost cost the Cubs the 2016 world series....participants make errors...the rule keepers shouldn't . Speaking of fatter and lazier, there need to be more stringent standards on officials athletic ability

Im fine with that. No one call decides a WS in a 7 game series and it very seldom happens.

Replay has ruined the pace of play in all sports. VAR in soccer is a disaster.

Im fine with that. No one call decides a WS in a 7 game series and it very seldom happens.

Replay has ruined the pace of play in all sports. VAR in soccer is a disaster.
It did in 1985 in my benefit, but when Santana looked at strike 3 from Kyle Hendricks, and still ****ing ended up on base, resulting in Lester coming in and about blowing it...I wanted the umps eyes plucked out.

It did in 1985 in my benefit, but when Santana looked at strike 3 from Kyle Hendricks, and still ****ing ended up on base, resulting in Lester coming in and about blowing it...I wanted the umps eyes plucked out.

Its just a break of the game. Computers are not the answer to every problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT