ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Brown in Transfer Portal

moondog24

HR MVP
Oct 31, 2009
Pac-12 6th man of the year, Redshirt Sophomore 6' 11" Jordan Brown of Arizona just decided to enter the transfer portal. With the lack of experience inside, he would be worth a long look to see if he would be interested in joining the Hawks. He averaged just under 10 points a game and had a big game against USC going against an NBA lottery pick.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Pac-12 6th man of the year, Redshirt Sophomore 6' 11" Jordan Brown of Arizona just decided to enter the transfer portal. With the lack of experience inside, he would be worth a long look to see if he would be interested in joining the Hawks. He averaged just under 10 points a game and had a big game against USC going against an NBA lottery pick.
I’m feeling pretty good with Rebraca, Josh O, and Mulvey for bigs unless he had strong interest in the Hawkeyes, same with EJ Uno, who has had some interest in the Hawks but how hard to pursue another Big is a question for the staff

You’re right, sub .500 in the league next year. We would be more competitive in the YMCA league.
If that is the way you feel, then I hope you stop watching Iowa basketball. You may be right, but you really have no idea as you have no idea how the younger players will develop. I think that there is some talent on this team and am looking forward to how they develop. This may not translate into this team being over 500 in the league, but I do guarantee that they would destroy your YMCA team.

Fran opted to be selective or passive in the portal-- only time will tell. When Gonzaga takes Bolton from ISU and Baylor takes a D-2 guy, it's clear that coaches with deep March run experience place a different value on transfers. Fran gets no free pass from me next year, so he better get the team in the tournament. If he doesn't then he clearly didn't evaluate his talent properly and failed to bring in the necessary pieces in a bumper crop year for the portal.

Using Fran's logic, he didn't need anybody to replace JW so we must have that guy on the roster. Jbo's return negates CJ's departure, so we are good there. Rebraca, Mulvey, Josh = Garza. You can't look at this any other way IMO based on Fran's decisions.

That would require the person coaching the team to actually do something.

This is a stupid statement. Just because you may not agree with someone’s actions, does not mean they are not doing something. Fran is compensated very well for what he does, but I have no doubt that he puts a lot of work into coaching the team. A coach does not take four different teams to the NCAA tournament without being a hard worker.

Has McCaffery actually stated that he is done looking for this year or are we just allowing posters on this forum to make that decision for him?

I doubt Fran is hanging out at Aldi's waiting for the produce to get marked down, so I don't expect you will run into him.
That's funny. Made me think that I did run into Johnny Orr once at a HyVee in Des Moines...coaches do actually eat.

Has McCaffery actually stated that he is done looking for this year or are we just allowing posters on this forum to make that decision for him?
I believe that comment was made based on counting scholarships and believing they are all accounted for. Fran's not famous for "Creaning" players at this time of year to make another open up.

Of course not,.. McCaffery is never very public about what his intentions might be..

Fran opted to be selective or passive in the portal-- only time will tell. When Gonzaga takes Bolton from ISU and Baylor takes a D-2 guy, it's clear that coaches with deep March run experience place a different value on transfers. Fran gets no free pass from me next year, so he better get the team in the tournament. If he doesn't then he clearly didn't evaluate his talent properly and failed to bring in the necessary pieces in a bumper crop year for the portal.

Using Fran's logic, he didn't need anybody to replace JW so we must have that guy on the roster. Jbo's return negates CJ's departure, so we are good there. Rebraca, Mulvey, Josh = Garza. You can't look at this any other way IMO based on Fran's decisions.

You can chalk it all up to Frans poor roster management. One of his weakest areas in coaching is managing his roster. The youth on Iowa's roster is talented but needa time. Fran didn't even come close replacing the scoring Iowa is losing from Garza and Weiskamp. Bohannon can shoot but he is one of the worst defenders in the B1G. Add Connor to that list of worst defenders in the B1G. CJ could shoot and play atleast average D so not so sure Fran even replaced CJ.

One of Frans biggest blunders going into next year could be lack of true B1G ready post players. It's going to force Keegan to play most of his minutes at the 4 and 5 when he projects as a wing in the pros. At the 3 I could see Keegan being one of the best wings in the conference and avg somewhere around 15ppg 6rpg and 45%fg, 37% 3pt. At the 4 and 5 Keegan will be starved of offense for chunks of the game. Sucks that Patricks best position is also the 3.

Fans need to ready themselves for the strong possibility of Keegan leaving after next year. If Fran continues to play Keegan out of position and Keegan continues to project as a first round pick as a wing it would be wise of Keegan to bolt and begin developing in the pros at the 3.

You can chalk it all up to Frans poor roster management. One of his weakest areas in coaching is managing his roster. The youth on Iowa's roster is talented but needa time. Fran didn't even come close replacing the scoring Iowa is losing from Garza and Weiskamp. Bohannon can shoot but he is one of the worst defenders in the B1G. Add Connor to that list of worst defenders in the B1G. CJ could shoot and play atleast average D so not so sure Fran even replaced CJ.

One of Frans biggest blunders going into next year could be lack of true B1G ready post players. It's going to force Keegan to play most of his minutes at the 4 and 5 when he projects as a wing in the pros. At the 3 I could see Keegan being one of the best wings in the conference and avg somewhere around 15ppg 6rpg and 45%fg, 37% 3pt. At the 4 and 5 Keegan will be starved of offense for chunks of the game. Sucks that Patricks best position is also the 3.

Fans need to ready themselves for the strong possibility of Keegan leaving after next year. If Fran continues to play Keegan out of position and Keegan continues to project as a first round pick as a wing it would be wise of Keegan to bolt and begin developing in the pros at the 3.

In our 4 and 5 out offense of positionless basketball, I guess I don't see that being a factor. If he gets the 5 matched up on him, how will they possibly defend him?

Keegan leaving early and projecting to be a first round pick. Did I miss something. The kid is good but NBA early good after next year? I don’t think so.

Iowa won't make it to the tournament next season.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Keegan leaving early and projecting to be a first round pick. Did I miss something. The kid is good but NBA early good after next year? I don’t think so.
If he does he will be drafted on almost only potential.

It is the potential they see because he showed skills that are perfect for stretch 4 in the NBA. But these early projections always change and are of course depending on Murray taking steps forward next year.

Reactions: jasonrann
Hes showed up on someone's mock draft as a late first rounder.

Defensive versatility is one of the most sought after traits for the nba.

Guys who can defend the perimeter and the rim are hot commodities.

It is the potential they see because he showed skills that are perfect for stretch 4 in the NBA. But these early projections always change and are of course depending on Murray taking steps forward next year.

If he improves at all over last year, he will be a lot to handle. Put a little bit of good weight on him and let the kid do his thing. I can't wait until next season.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
I believe that comment was made based on counting scholarships and believing they are all accounted for. Fran's not famous for "Creaning" players at this time of year to make another open up.

Assuming Wieksamp is gone, Fran could still sign one more guy since Bohannon's scholarship won't count against the limit of 13.

Anybody else read the title and think it was J-bo in the portal? That would have been the perfect fitting for the state of this off season!

If he improves at all over last year, he will be a lot to handle. Put a little bit of good weight on him and let the kid do his thing. I can't wait until next season.
Hardest thing for him to adjust to will probably be the attention he sees. Without Garza down low to worry about and having a year of film to scout Murray teams will be paying a lot more attention to him and he will have to figure that out and adjust. That is why I think a lot of times you don't see a huge jump from Freshman to Sophomore year. But the good thing about Murry is he does a lot of little things as well so he can still get put backs and find a lot of other easy buckets even if he is struggling in other ways to score.

Hardest thing for him to adjust to will probably be the attention he sees. Without Garza down low to worry about and having a year of film to scout Murray teams will be paying a lot more attention to him and he will have to figure that out and adjust.

This is where twin brother Kris comes in...

Hardest thing for him to adjust to will probably be the attention he sees. Without Garza down low to worry about and having a year of film to scout Murray teams will be paying a lot more attention to him and he will have to figure that out and adjust. That is why I think a lot of times you don't see a huge jump from Freshman to Sophomore year. But the good thing about Murry is he does a lot of little things as well so he can still get put backs and find a lot of other easy buckets even if he is struggling in other ways to score.
If people pay too much attention to him, they're going to pay in other ways. While Luka was an incredible asset, IMHO, the offense got bogged down at times, other guys standing around, etc. With guys like Joe T, Ulis, Perkins, Kris M and Patrick on the floor more, there should be much more slashing. Keegan can find those guys or kick to Bohannon for a 3. I like it. More movement and quick passing will create different opportunities.

Reactions: Isaac Jacobs

How can you blame Fran for roster management when athletes are able to leave basically any time they want now? And really have been for a number of years. While you can throw plenty of crap at the NCAA for its rules, the new extreme flexibility for athletes will make it nearly impossible to plan a roster for more than a year or two at a time. And two years is probably pushing it.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT