ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to Kirk

Hawkbaby

Team MVP
Apr 4, 2018
Just read transcript of Kirk’s press conference for title game. I have been very critical of Kirk this year and past ( offense , clock management , QB dev and choices). But we are very lucky to have him given the current state of College football given that Coaches are leaving left and right from major successful programs. Who are you going to get and for what price and guarantee . Brian has helped Kirk from a program update sense . Modernized. Brian also has a hate for our rivals. ISU, Nebraska , and Minnesota. Which has been good. He does not have the power with his dad or the acumen to change the offens though. Kirk is steadfast and has so much conviction in what he is doing it translates to his teams. Can’t imagine of many teams and other fans wish they had what we have had for last 20yrs plus. It does really doesn’t matter now how we got to this point. The big Ten Championship game. We are here! Nobody is giving us much of a chance. I wouldn’t be surprised if we won a slugfest . Harbuagh has his best team ever. He is Not a better coach than Kirk.

Just read transcript of Kirk’s press conference for title game. I have been very critical of Kirk this year and past ( offense , clock management , QB dev and choices). But we are very lucky to have him given the current state of College football given that Coaches are leaving left and right from major successful programs. Who are you going to get and for what price and guarantee . Brian has helped Kirk from a program update sense . Modernized. Brian also has a hate for our rivals. ISU, Nebraska , and Minnesota. Which has been good. He does not have the power with his dad or the acumen to change the offens though. Kirk is steadfast and has so much conviction in what he is doing it translates to his teams. Can’t imagine of many teams and other fans wish they had what we have had for last 20yrs plus. It does really doesn’t matter now how we got to this point. The big Ten Championship game. We are here! Nobody is giving us much of a chance. I wouldn’t be surprised if we won a slugfest . Harbuagh has his best team ever. He is Not a better coach than Kirk.

With as many shortcomings that we can point to with KF's system, he has equally positives that you can point to. #1 he isn't a scumbag like a lot of coaches out there and seems to actually care about his players and their actions outside of the football field.

I don't know how you could argue otherwise. He's less likeable sure, but his results are unequivably better.

Doesn't seem unequivocally better to me. I think Michigan and Iowa have the same number of conference wins during Harbaugh's tenure. Each team won one of our two head to head match-ups. Michigan was horrible in 2020 when the the Iowa game was canceled, so that would likely have made it 2-1 in favor of Kirk in head to head match-ups. All of that with Michigan having the traditional recruiting advantage over schools like Iowa.

Doesn't seem unequivocally better to me. I think Michigan and Iowa have the same number of conference wins during Harbaugh's tenure. Each team won one of our two head to head match-ups. Michigan was horrible in 2020 when the the Iowa game was canceled, so that would likely have made it 2-1 in favor of Kirk in head to head match-ups. All of that with Michigan having the traditional recruiting advantage over schools like Iowa.
Talking about whole body of work. Who has the better coaching resume?

They don't have to be, my point still stands. He's had success at the highest level of the sport.
None of that matters when we're talking about coaching in college. Should we compare how they were as assistant coaches and how they did in high school as well? Who cares? The only thing that matters is who is the better college coach.

None of that matters when we're talking about coaching in college. Should we compare how they were as assistant coaches and how they did in high school as well? Who cares? The only thing that matters is who is the better college coach.
I was responding to the blanket statement that Kirk is a better coach, so I looked at the whole body of work.

In full agreement with OP. When looking out over the dumpster fire that is the coaching landscape, Iowa is fortunate to have KF in the seat. I've had my frustrations with the program just like everyone else but it's just because I think the program has so much potential I want to see them take advantage of it. You can tell KF and the staff in general actually care about the kids. I have no inside knowledge or connections to the program but it seems genuine to me. Out here in PAC 12 land there's a lot of fake snake oil head coaches roaming the sidelines.

I was responding to the blanket statement that Kirk is a better coach, so I looked at the whole body of work.

No, you were the one who said that Harbaugh's results were unequivocally better, so I refuted that with relevant data of Harbaugh's college coaching results during his time at Michigan.

Leading a team to the Super Bowl in unequivocally better than Kirk's top achievement. Like I said, I used his whole body of work.
Using your logic, if Ferentz led a team to more than one Super Bowl he would then be the better coach? Would it matter what he did in college or does getting to the Super Bowl trump it all?

Leading a team to the Super Bowl in unequivocally better than Kirk's top achievement. Like I said, I used his whole body of work.

It is the college game that is relevant here. Plenty of examples of coaches that found great success in one arena but failed in the other. Nick Saban for example. If Harbaugh is somehow the pinnacle of coaches because he coached in a Super Bowl, then he has really under-performed at the college level. Harbaugh's college coaching resume doesn't make him clearly a better coach than Ferentz's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT