ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like winning a Team Title just became much harder

So you dont feel either of the two will AA. I disagree and feel either of the two will depending on who gets the nod but your opinion is fair enough. And to be honest, of the 3 you mention, I think Facundo is least likely to AA. We can revisit this down the road when all is said and done. Also, I think you all are underestimating Joe Lee a bit. I think 157 is a better weight for him and if healthier than last year he will surprise. Another we can revisit at a later time..
Being from MI, I have watched a LOT of Facundo. That along with how PSU develops upper weights, I gave him a low AA status.

As far as 149 or 157 goes, you are basically telling me I should just pick them to AA because they are going to PSU? What about the actual wrestlers themselves should make me predict it? Bartlett admittedly struggled adjusting to 149 and what have we seen so far from Van Ness at the DI level to pick AA status before the season even starts?

I mean, I get it that PSU has been a juggernaught, but don't you think your glasses are a bit tinted being a PSU fan?

Reactions: Grip220 and el dub
Being from MI, I have watched a LOT of Facundo. That along with how PSU develops upper weights, I gave him a low AA status.

As far as 149 or 157 goes, you are basically telling me I should just pick them to AA because they are going to PSU? What about the actual wrestlers themselves should make me predict it? Bartlett admittedly struggled adjusting to 149 and what have we seen so far from Van Ness at the DI level to pick AA status before the season even starts?

I mean, I get it that PSU has been a juggernaught, but don't you think your glasses are a bit tinted being a PSU fan?
Huh? I dont care who you predict to win or do well. Im just giving my prediction just as you did. And if you are wrong youll say you were wrong just as I would. But really though, not sure how we are to predict this team race anyway if we are to just leave freshman out of the equation. Ya know, since we havent really seen them ON THE MAT yet.

Huh? I dont care who you predict to win or do well. Im just giving my prediction just as you did. And if you are wrong youll say you were wrong just as I would. But really though, not sure how we are to predict this team race anyway if we are to just leave freshman out of the equation. Ya know, since we havent really seen them ON THE MAT yet.
It's not that we haven't seen them on the mat yet. It's that we have. Bartlett wasn't great last year and SVN was taking losses to mid-ranked high schoolers a couple months ago. AAing is hard dude. PSU fans were very confident Robby Howard would AA last year too, at a weak weight no less. How did that work out?

It's not that we haven't seen them on the mat yet. It's that we have. Bartlett wasn't great last year and SVN was taking losses to mid-ranked high schoolers a couple months ago. AAing is hard dude. PSU fans were very confident Robby Howard would AA last year too, at a weak weight no less. How did that work out?
Bartlett was a 141 true freshman thrown into the 149 spot halfway through year. Im confident if hes there this year (which i dont think he will be) that he will do much better. Ill stick with my prediction, one of the two will AA this year. You can go ahead and lean towards MSUs 1-2 prediction. And before I go, I'll also say he's off on Kem and Warner. Neither in my opinion reaches the finals this year. As for overall Iowa individual champs, I see no more than 1.

Last edited:
Bartlett was a 141 true freshman thrown into the 149 spot halfway through year. Im confident if hes there this year (which i dont think he will be) that he will do much better. Ill stick with my prediction, one of the two will AA this year. You can go ahead and lean towards MSUs 1-2 prediction. And before I go, I'll also say he's off on Kem and Warner. Neither in my opinion reaches the finals this year. As for overall Iowa individual champs, I see no more than 1.
A PSU fan expects PSU to exceed expectations and Iowa to underperform? Groundbreaking stuff my man.

So Cael didnt develop those freshman champs and AAs? They already came in AA good? So then its settled. Bartlett and Van Ness came in AA good. So lets chalk one of two up as one while we are predicting this years team race.
He continues to get top ranked kids every year he gets kids out of high school that are college ready! Do I think he is the best recruiter in the land yes!

Reactions: Spoons and TarpHawk
Gilman was already built in Iowa! He was a silver medalist before he got to penn st. So he took bronze in the Olympics! Then won worlds against lesser competition. The gold and silver medalist weren’t there. He should have won worlds as he did

Ya but, Cody taught Gilman how to pull on that guy's head in the finals. Never seen that before.

Happy Valley is a hot mess. Cael really grasping at straws with these weirdo transfers. Mr anti vax and Sideshow Suriano. PSU looking weak and desperate.

I get that your schtick is to crap on all things PSU, but this isn't your best work...

Reactions: el dub
The last 2 seasons, Kemerer's only lost 2 times, once each season. Those losses were to Hall and Starocci, respectively. He also beat both wrestlers. With that in mind, who exactly is Kemerer going to lose to in a round before the Finals?

When it comes to Warner, I don't have any issues with you disagreeing. The best he has done is finish 4th so far, so saying he won't make the Finals is more than fair. But, excepting Ferrari, who would you say is clearly better at 197? I would agree that he could lose to Bonaccorsi, Darmstadt, Dean, Elam or Brucki. But, I would have a hard time picking any of them in a 1 off match...

The last 2 seasons, Kemerer's only lost 2 times, once each season. Those losses were to Hall and Starocci, respectively. He also beat both wrestlers. With that in mind, who exactly is Kemerer going to lose to in a round before the Finals?

When it comes to Warner, I don't have any issues with you disagreeing. The best he has done is finish 4th so far, so saying he won't make the Finals is more than fair. But, excepting Ferrari, who would you say is clearly better at 197? I would agree that he could lose to Bonaccorsi, Darmstadt, Dean, Elam or Brucki. But, I would have a hard time picking any of them in a 1 off match...
I believe if Kem is on the same side of the bracket as Lewis or Starocci, he will not make the finals. I could also see a guy like Hidlay or Labs beating him. Hell...maybe even someone like Turley. I think Kem is done getting better and he hasn't exactly had an easy time staying healthy. As for Warner, he's gonna have a brain fart somewhere during the first few rounds. To me its almost inevitable. And if he's on same side as Ferrari then I say he will most certainly not reach the finals. And you've already named another 5 or 6 he could lose to and I think the chances of one of them (if not someone else like Braxton Amos) beating him is somewhat high.

• Haha
Reactions: Chips28
A PSU fan expects PSU to exceed expectations and Iowa to underperform? Groundbreaking stuff my man.
I havent even stated what I think PSU would do this year so not sure where you get that. Also, I cant ever remember correctly predicting they will have as many or more national champs than they actually end up with. If anything, I'm usually more on the pessimistic side of things when it comes to PSU. But if you'd like to know and since I already said I think Iowa has no more that 1 champ this year, I think PSU will have 2...3 at best. And if I were to guess, you...an Iowa fan is probably thinking that sounds about right.

I believe if Kem is on the same side of the bracket as Lewis or Starocci, he will not make the finals. I could also see a guy like Hidlay or Labs beating him. Hell...maybe even someone like Turley. I think Kem is done getting better and he hasn't exactly had an easy time staying healthy. As for Warner, he's gonna have a brain fart somewhere during the first few rounds. To me its almost inevitable. And if he's on same side as Ferrari then I say he will most certainly not reach the finals. And you've already named another 5 or 6 he could lose to and I think the chances of one of them (if not someone else like Braxton Amos) beating him is somewhat high.
Wow. Does Kem even have a chance to AA in your fantasy world?

Hidlay has wrestled kem multiple times and was never close to beating him in high school and college. And labs isn’t close to kem either. However 74 is gonna be crazy this year. Think kem gets his title this year. Reminds of his senior season in high school. Always the brides maid until senior season

Penn st still has a ton of work to do at 49, 57 and 65. Jmo

I am still 50/50 on the Suriano rumor being true but if he does come it will be with one thing in mind - a national championship at 125 denying Spencer as a likely 4xer. IMO Spencer is the GOAT 125 until proven otherwise. Cael preps guys for nationals better than anyone, hands down. Not to mention whom better to train with for Spencer if not Gilman? If the xfer becomes true will be worth the price of admission for all fans.

For those bitching about transfers, I tend to agree, I don't like it. Suriano should have been in blue and white all along.

As for 'Penn St still has a ton of work to do at 49, 57 and 65.'

I feel quite confident:
149 - Bartlett or SVN - Check, 10-15+ more points.
157 - Lee - a wash, I'll need to see the results with my own eyes first.
165 - Facundo - Check 5-15 more points.

125 - Steen - ill give him 2-5 pts - gratuitous admittedly
197 - Dean or Beard at least +5 points more.
4 champs - I wouldn't rule it out but if so I say it's not the same 4, how's that for a prediction.

Let's just hope the injury bug hits neither squad and we head to nationals in full health and no CV BS, fully loaded. A great year to look forward.

PS - how about that picture of Cassi all jacked up, impressive!!! Can't wait to see him vs Paris.

As for Marinelli, my honest opinion, he howevers around #1 deservedly so Nov-Bigs, but his body breaks down in mid March. I don't think his body can manage the toll of a long season and the intensity of the tourney. My suggestion, lineup impact aside, he should go up a weight and not fight the cut all year.

Last edited:
Great fit at PSU. Gilman and Suriano in the same room competing for the same World title in the future and maybe the same Olympic Team--that will go well:) That will be well regarded. I think Suriano is cutting too much weight at 125. Making the weight 3-days in a row at Nationals will be tough and not good for Nick. If he comes back I would imagine he should go the same weight he won when he was dominate in a tough weight class. I don't have any information, but would find it odd.

I am still 50/50 on the Suriano rumor being true but if he does come it will be with one thing in mind - a national championship at 125 denying Spencer as a likely 4xer. IMO Spencer is the GOAT 125 until proven otherwise. Cael preps guys for nationals better than anyone, hands down. Not to mention whom better to train with for Spencer if not Gilman? If the xfer becomes true will be worth the price of admission for all fans.

For those bitching about transfers, I tend to agree, I don't like it. Suriano should have been in blue and white all along.

As for 'Penn St still has a ton of work to do at 49, 57 and 65.'

I feel quite confident:
149 - Bartlett or SVN - Check, 10-15+ more points.
157 - Lee - a wash, I'll need to see the results with my own eyes first.
165 - Facundo - Check 5-15 more points.

125 - Steen - ill give him 2-5 pts - gratuitous admittedly
197 - Dean or Beard at least +5 points more.
4 champs - I wouldn't rule it out but if so I say it's not the same 4, how's that for a prediction.

Let's just hope the injury bug hits neither squad and we head to nationals in full health and no CV BS, fully loaded. A great year to look forward.

PS - how about that picture of Cassi all jacked up, impressive!!! Can't wait to see him vs Paris.

As for Marinelli, my honest opinion, he howevers around #1 deservedly so Nov-Bigs, but his body breaks down in mid March. I don't think his body can manage the toll of a long season and the intensity of the tourney. My suggestion, lineup impact aside, he should go up a weight and not fight the cut all year.
Not bad. I do believe they will be better at 49. 57 not so much. 165. People are giving way to much credit to an unproven!! Matt lee has a lot to say for 65!! And 65 is loaded again this year. Give penn st aa like most are. I don’t see it.

I am still 50/50 on the Suriano rumor being true but if he does come it will be with one thing in mind - a national championship at 125 denying Spencer as a likely 4xer.
It'll add to the legend of Spencer Lee for sure. Suriano coming back to PSU and training specifically to take down a hobbled Spencer Lee, and still unable to get it done.

It'll add to the legend of Spencer Lee for sure. Suriano coming back to PSU and training specifically to take down a hobbled Spencer Lee, and still unable to get it done.
So, he’s permanently hobbled now? Is that the wrap?

Reactions: Chips28
KemDawg is the best wrestler at the weight. If the finals are officiated according to the rule book, your guy can not stall the way he did and he loses! That is the fact and everyone saw it very clearly. It is a big problem with our sport and the FS push out rule has to be installed! I am sure teams like IOWA would be all in favor of it, but most teams, including yours, will continue to vote it down!!!

Great fit at PSU. Gilman and Suriano in the same room competing for the same World title in the future and maybe the same Olympic Team--that will go well:) That will be well regarded. I think Suriano is cutting too much weight at 125. Making the weight 3-days in a row at Nationals will be tough and not good for Nick. If he comes back I would imagine he should go the same weight he won when he was dominate in a tough weight class. I don't have any information, but would find it odd.
from what i've heard, it will be a pure mercenary trip for suriano. he won't be there long term. i've seen some suggest he might move out the week after ncaas.

Reactions: MVPFAN
from what i've heard, it will be a pure mercenary trip for suriano. he won't be there long term. i've seen some suggest he might move out the week after ncaas.
Ego is a hell of a thing isn’t it. I get the idea of being competitive but at some point the hubris starts shinning through.

Anyway, the best thing to do with a mercenary is to take him out. Iowa has the right guy at 125 with the right ammo to do just that.

That’s my thought. I wouldn’t expect him to wrestle in any events except B1Gs and nationals.

School, who needs it. He will enroll because he has to, but I wouldn’t expect him to pass a class. Similar to a one and done bball player. Once they pass 1st semester classes they don’t need school anymore.

Ego is a hell of a thing isn’t it. I get the idea of being competitive but at some point the hubris starts shinning through.

Anyway, the best thing to do with a mercenary is to take him out. Iowa has the right guy at 125 with the right ammo to do just that.
Don't all elite athletes have an ego? What great athlete doesn't want to leave a legacy? He missed out on his chances at Olympic gold because of covid. What's the next best thing? Avenging an NCAA finals loss to a legend while denying him 4 titles and possibly securing a team title on top of it. It's not a personal thing. By all accounts the families are friends. Just like Dake was friends with Taylor. These guys are chasing greatness.

Frankly, it would be pretty lame if a guy as good as Suriano didn't believe he could beat Spencer. What kind of mentality would that be?

KemDawg is the best wrestler at the weight. If the finals are officiated according to the rule book, your guy can not stall the way he did and he loses! That is the fact and everyone saw it very clearly. It is a big problem with our sport and the FS push out rule has to be installed! I am sure teams like IOWA would be all in favor of it, but most teams, including yours, will continue to vote it down!!!
I have to agree with this. Many PSU fans berated Hidlay up and down in the Brooks match and Brooks was able to win the match WITHOUT a takedown due to the stall calls. Kemerer had no such luck and finally forced a bad position in OT. I don't know what anyone sees from that match that would make them ignore the one before and automatically call for Starocci over Kem, let alone others knocking him off beforehand.

To be CRYSTAL CLEAR, Kemerer is 26-2 the last 2 seasons without having a single scare beyond the 2 losses(Hall and Starocci). Of the 2 he lost to, he won DECISIVELY against them as well. I just don't see how you ignore the last 2 years and act like he is going to get passed by. Starocci pulled off a completely tactical lock down to keep Kemerer off his legs early and was benefitted by the refs not penalizing him. That is a blueprint that won't age well. To win again he will need to open up a bit and create offense which also plays very well into Kemerer's strength.

Out of anyone on the Iowa roster, Michael NEVER gets the amount of credit he deserves from non-Iowa fans...

So Andrew Long minus the substance abuse etc.
Eh not really. Andrew Long wasn't an intended mercenary. They thought they'd have him all 3 remaining years. Not comparable and I don't think there's anything wrong with what Cael is doing with Suriano. If it were up to him, he would have never left. He, like Brands, has a responsibility to maximize team potential. If Suriano wants to come, he has to take him. It would be like the Brands brothers telling Eierman to take a hike when he came calling.

I’ll give dark horse for 97 if healthy hoschlag form uni could make deep run. Only happens if he’s healthy. Hoschlag top game is rolling he would be dangerous matchup for anyone

Reactions: Grip220
Eh not really. Andrew Long wasn't an intended mercenary. They thought they'd have him all 3 remaining years. Not comparable and I don't think there's anything wrong with what Cael is doing with Suriano. If it were up to him, he would have never left. He, like Brands, has a responsibility to maximize team potential. If Suriano wants to come, he has to take him. It would be like the Brands brothers telling Eierman to take a hike when he came calling.
Carl new suspended Long had a limited shelf life. Anyone who claims otherwise is kidding themselves. When Iowa brings a national champ transfer in at semester for nothing more than team points then it can be compared to Iowa. Your comparison to Jaydin is pretty insulting to him. He came to Iowa because he felt it would make him the best he could be and was not a lightly taken decision. Suriano's motivation is getting paid NIL money and an ego driven "vision quest" to deny Spencer a 4th title which he would already have if not for 2020 getting cancelled. It's interesting when he had no title of his own 125 was too hard to make and went 133.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT