ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry

Imar is a great kid from all accounts. But some of the same people on here that said *s defensive style wasn't a fit with TNT should also consider that Imar is not exactly an Iowa style offensive machine.

Is it entirely possible he brought the Illinois guys over again and they gave him a shirt?

I have been under the impression there was a rift between Perry and our coaches. Apparently not.

Is it entirely possible he brought the Illinois guys over again and they gave him a shirt?

I have been under the impression there was a rift between Perry and our coaches. Apparently not.

If there was a rift then the former seems pretty bizarre.

i saw somewhere on the internet they had an Imar interview and he was doing a clinic at an IOWA HS and he said he loved it. it was obviously the hotbed of high school as to what he was used to. he said the entire Iowa experience was really great with all of the enthusiasm for wrestling and the passion that everyone had in Iwoa for wrestling. he made no mention of transferring but he was a level headed down to earth kid who was very well spoken and spoke highly of Iowa. i would love to see him wear the black and gold ...but realistically see it as quite a long shot !

I disagree.
I agree with your disagreement.

I'd actually say IMar very much is an Iowa-style offensive machine. He's racked up a ton of bonus points over his career, and his style has always been defined by an attacking offense.

I'm surprised by that characterization. It makes me wonder if we're talking about the same guy, because IMar has always been all about offense. Now, if you want to bring up Jesse Delgado, Illinois' highly successful but often-stalling 125-pounder, I'd see the point there. I honestly wonder if we're confusing IMar with Delgado here, because I've never seen IMar described as non-offensive in his style.

Mind you, I have absolutely nothing against Delgado, and he's certainly a crafty wrestler with a ton of talent. While his style drove Iowa fans nuts, especially over his last couple of years, there's no doubt that he's talented as heck, and I have no doubt he'd be a great workout partner for our guys. Imagine a guy like Spencer getting to choose between Gilman, Clark, McDonough, and Dennis, and Delgado, for any given workout. That's a lot of NCAA and freestyle accolades right there.

A quick stat check shows IMar scored bonus points in 22 out of his 31 wins this year. I'd think TNT would be alright with that.
Can't argue with those stats. He's been known in his career to hang out during tough matches and score late. He's acknowledged as much during interviews. I personally like him and think he'll be a great get for any program. But sometimes I watch people on here criticize someone like * for something they're willing to overlook in someone else. That was all.

I agree with your disagreement.

I'd actually say IMar very much is an Iowa-style offensive machine. He's racked up a ton of bonus points over his career, and his style has always been defined by an attacking offense.

I'm surprised by that characterization. It makes me wonder if we're talking about the same guy, because IMar has always been all about offense. Now, if you want to bring up Jesse Delgado, Illinois' highly successful but often-stalling 125-pounder, I'd see the point there. I honestly wonder if we're confusing IMar with Delgado here, because I've never seen IMar described as non-offensive in his style.

Mind you, I have absolutely nothing against Delgado, and he's certainly a crafty wrestler with a ton of talent. While his style drove Iowa fans nuts, especially over his last couple of years, there's no doubt that he's talented as heck, and I have no doubt he'd be a great workout partner for our guys. Imagine a guy like Spencer getting to choose between Gilman, Clark, McDonough, and Dennis, and Delgado, for any given workout. That's a lot of NCAA and freestyle accolades right there.
Don't forget TnT

Reactions: Chuck C
I find it funny that the people of the state you feel just recently discovered wrestling are the same people your pinning your hopes on to save Hawkeye wrestling. Hopefully your coaches are up to the task in showing Kem, Lee, Murin, Young and the other PA wrestlers your praying shows up there the skills and techniques to get it done.
I remember the days when you were not a douche. I guess that was 3 screen names ago, can we get some mods on here to see if we can ban this clown once again.

I'm actually somewhat embarrassed of some of the posters on this board. In what universe do any of you think Mark Perry is better head assistant than Terry Brands? Terry Brands was pretty important in landing the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Someone please tell me what the Hype of Mark Perry is? Illinois was going to be the next UCLA basketball when he got there. They had a certain upswing early and since? That is correct, they fell back into place where they always have been.

If someone can prove me wrong please do!!! Has always seemed like a decent coach that would only coach a few of his athletes (the best ones) and let the rest flounder. Since we are on the topic. Has anyone seen him in the corner when one of his kids don't do good or something goes wrong? He has consistently just got up and walked out of wrestlers corners!

Now, I'm not saying he wouldn't be good in a club role of some sort and that isn't my point. My point being some of you on here thinking he should be on staff and Terry should go to the club! That is the most ridiculous notion in the world. Unless someone can give me some stats of how Mark Perry has turned a program around since he has been there?

Reactions: oldparatroop
If there was a rift then the former seems pretty bizarre.

Agreed. That was more of a general comment and really about my own impression. Not so much about the sentiment in this thread about him "potentially" (applying the term loosely) being on staff. I didn't get the feeling they were buddies so overall it is interesting that he's been spending time here. Or maybe I was just very wrong.

I'm actually somewhat embarrassed of some of the posters on this board. In what universe do any of you think Mark Perry is better head assistant than Terry Brands? Terry Brands was pretty important in landing the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Someone please tell me what the Hype of Mark Perry is? Illinois was going to be the next UCLA basketball when he got there. They had a certain upswing early and since? That is correct, they fell back into place where they always have been.

If someone can prove me wrong please do!!! Has always seemed like a decent coach that would only coach a few of his athletes (the best ones) and let the rest flounder. Since we are on the topic. Has anyone seen him in the corner when one of his kids don't do good or something goes wrong? He has consistently just got up and walked out of wrestlers corners!

Now, I'm not saying he wouldn't be good in a club role of some sort and that isn't my point. My point being some of you on here thinking he should be on staff and Terry should go to the club! That is the most ridiculous notion in the world. Unless someone can give me some stats of how Mark Perry has turned a program around since he has been there?

You do understand that this is not about replacing Terry but getting one more guy like Perry on staff in addition to Terry. It does not matter what title they hold as long as they can corner guys and recruit for the college team. If they put Mark in charge of HWC, does that mean one of the best freestyle coaches in Terry in the country cannot coach guys? No. Just filling squares.

1431390.jpeg

Nobody wants Terry to go anywhere, he's the best freestyle coach in the nation. I think people believe he would be best suited as the HWC freestyle coach which the staff has expressed they would like a full-time coach for. This would allow Iowa to bring in another talented coach (Mark Perry) and take the load off some of the current staff. Couldn't do it before because of $ hopefully that's changing.

Perry is well established as an excellent recruiter. From there, you can't hold him responsible for an entire program. He's not the head coach and it isn't a program rich in tradition. But, just to note, they have had 2 AAs each of the last two years in the middle weights including IMar twice, Brunson and Rodrigues. He's probably doing something right.

As for replacing Terry, I hate to speak for others but I think that comes from the believe that Terry has more love and appreciation for freestyle vs. collegiate wrestling and it's a role he might enjoy more. I could be wrong. However, unless something has changed drastically in the past few weeks, I don't think the HWC supports it's own coach at this point in time.

I remember the days when you were not a douche. I guess that was 3 screen names ago, can we get some mods on here to see if we can ban this clown once again.

If pointing out that
Yeah because wrestling was invented in 2011 and we didn't ram it down your throat for 30+ years before that.

I hear that a lot on this and other sites. I know that I started following PS wrestling, and many other PSU sports much more starting in 2011, and it wasn't bc of Cael (he just made it fun!) It was the introduction of the BTN2Go app. I live out of state and following (much less watching) PS non-revenue sports before that was near impossible. PA has always had a proud wrestling tradition... at PSU, as well as Lehigh, Clarion, Edinboro, etc.. I can think of 8 DI teams in PA and are probably forgetting some. It just irks Pennsylvanians to hear Iowa fans talk as if they have a monopoly on tradition...

Reactions: lionlover
Really?! You can say whatever you want. I thought a forum was for DISCUSSION- an exchange of ideas, opinions etc. I read an opinion, and gave an opinion. You are missing out on a lot with that mentality...

The issue most have is every discussion about Iowa wrestling seems to evolve into a PSU debate. It shouldn't be that way. Iowa fans are going to make offhanded comments about PSU that their fans aren't going to like. That's part of life. Our PSU visitors seem to lack the ability to let such statements slide off their backs and instead it CONSISTENTLY becomes a massive thread hijack.

For instance, this thread is about Mark Perry and Iowa wrestling. A comment about PSU doesn't need to be elaborated on. Know where you are. Know the subject at hand. Resist the temptation to take what's in your head and put it on the board.

If someone can prove me wrong please do!!! Has always seemed like a decent coach that would only coach a few of his athletes (the best ones) and let the rest flounder.
Since we are on the topic. Has anyone seen him in the corner when one of his kids don't do good or something goes wrong? He has consistently just got up and walked out of wrestlers corners!

At Illinois you have Mark Perry, Heffernan and another assistant and some obscure volunteer. At Iowa you have the Brands, a bunch of guys hanging around, a well established HWC, and a rabid fan base. I don't think Perry has done too bad of a job. To put the lack of a top 5 program on Perry's shoulders seems a bit unfair.

At Illinois you have Mark Perry, Heffernan and another assistant and some obscure volunteer. At Iowa you have the Brands, a bunch of guys hanging around, a well established HWC, and a rabid fan base. I don't think Perry has done too bad of a job. To put the lack of a top 5 program on Perry's shoulders seems a bit unfair.

Since 2014, they have more titles than we do and the same amount of champs (Delgado, IMar) (Ramos, Clark). Your point is well taken...Perry/M* with Brands getting guys to Iowa is a helluva lot easier than getting guys to Illinois.

Reactions: lionlover
To me IMar is way more real than Taylor. Everything that comes out of Taylor's mouth sounds like he is pushing Cael's agenda, even a couple years out from college. I liked imar even when he was thrashing our guys.

Many of their former wrestlers are petty whiners much like their fans. Taylor is no different. Two days after Nationals, he was whining about the Te'Shan Campbell transfer to Ohio State and tweeted this:

How is there a transfer the day after the NCAA's, A kid isn't allowed to talk to another school w/o release.. Pitt released day NCAA ended?

What's the legality of this process. Extremely curious.. release/ transfer/ eligibility is not easy. And all in 1 day!?

Since 2014, they have more titles than we do and the same amount of champs (Delgado, IMar) (Ramos, Clark). Your point is well taken...Perry/M* with Brands getting guys to Iowa is a helluva lot easier than getting guys to Illinois.

Getting two guys to produce is much different than getting an entire team to produce. If any one of our coaches spent all their time with two guys I think the result would be the same. Trying to win every single year as a team is much different than having the same number of national champions in the same amount of time. You can make the argument that other schools have had more national champions than Iowa since 2014. But they aren't trying to win nationals every year. Whether Iowa is winning titles or not they are still trying to win them. The same can't be said for 90% of the country.

I'm not saying Perry is a bad coach, I'm just saying taking Terry out of his role is not the answer. Bringing Perry in isn't the silver bullet despite how great people think he is. (So if Iowa turns the corner it will be because Perry came to Iowa) i can see the headlines already

Getting two guys to produce is much different than getting an entire team to produce. If any one of our coaches spent all their time with two guys I think the result would be the same. Trying to win every single year as a team is much different than having the same number of national champions in the same amount of time. You can make the argument that other schools have had more national champions than Iowa since 2014. But they aren't trying to win nationals every year. Whether Iowa is winning titles or not they are still trying to win them. The same can't be said for 90% of the country.

I'm not saying Perry is a bad coach, I'm just saying taking Terry out of his role is not the answer. Bringing Perry in isn't the silver bullet despite how great people think he is. (So if Iowa turns the corner it will be because Perry came to Iowa) i can see the headlines already

You seem to be missing the argument. No one wants to remove Terry, or quite frankly ANYONE from the coaching staff. They want to ADD Perry. With some HWC tweaking, it could be possible. Who cares if titles change as long as all the coaches are happy with their salaries and can still have the exact same access to their athletes. To me, that scenario is a win/win!

If pointing out that

I hear that a lot on this and other sites. I know that I started following PS wrestling, and many other PSU sports much more starting in 2011, and it wasn't bc of Cael (he just made it fun!) It was the introduction of the BTN2Go app. I live out of state and following (much less watching) PS non-revenue sports before that was near impossible. PA has always had a proud wrestling tradition... at PSU, as well as Lehigh, Clarion, Edinboro, etc.. I can think of 8 DI teams in PA and are probably forgetting some. It just irks Pennsylvanians to hear Iowa fans talk as if they have a monopoly on tradition...

Actually my comments were in response to your first post on this thread:

Because competing against all that winning can be a bitch...

That's just you being a tool for no reason. Which has become your M.O. You used to actually contribute, but those days are long gone. PSU success is kind of like drinking too much, your fan bases true colors finally come out.

sounds as if Perry and Delgado for sure to HWC.. IMar in a tough situation due to eligibility but worst case scenario he joins HWC after this year. And yes, I would very much think we are back in play for Mejia especially with Teasdale out.

Not to get anyone hope up but Imar is definitely graduating this semester. There was an interview last week where he stated after NCAAs he got straight to work because he had to finish classes to graduate.

sounds as if Perry and Delgado for sure to HWC.. IMar in a tough situation due to eligibility but worst case scenario he joins HWC after this year. And yes, I would very much think we are back in play for Mejia especially with Teasdale out.
Mejia would have to sit a year and lose a year if not given a release. I don't think he comes to Iowa. Pretty sure $ was the reason he decided to decommitt, but yes more may be available now that Teasdale is no longer in the mix. If IMart comes does that mean Marinelli sits next year?

So basically would be diverting Perry and his CA recruiting pipeline from Champaign to Iowa City? Sounds like a good deal.

How long before future success is diminished by others due to a double recruiting class?

Reactions: DirkTang1
i saw somewhere on the internet they had an Imar interview and he was doing a clinic at an IOWA HS and he said he loved it. it was obviously the hotbed of high school as to what he was used to. he said the entire Iowa experience was really great with all of the enthusiasm for wrestling and the passion that everyone had in Iwoa for wrestling. he made no mention of transferring but he was a level headed down to earth kid who was very well spoken and spoke highly of Iowa. i would love to see him wear the black and gold ...but realistically see it as quite a long shot !

He did a camp in conjunction with High Altitude on April 23 at SEP.
http://www.highaltitudewrestling.com/camps/national-champ-wrestling-camps/

Mejia would have to sit a year and lose a year if not given a release. I don't think he comes to Iowa. Pretty sure $ was the reason he decided to decommitt, but yes more may be available now that Teasdale is no longer in the mix. If IMart comes does that mean Marinelli sits next year?

He would lose his redshirt year but could still do opens

correct, but there's a chance that he is questioning what's left at Illinois.

Maybe IMart and Kaleb Young could each bump up a weight to 74 and 84 respectively? If not, Marinelli, Young or Kemdawg would be the odd man out.

Maybe IMart and Kaleb Young could each bump up a weight to 74 and 84 respectively? If not, Marinelli, Young or Kemdawg would be the odd man out.
Young even bulked up will likely be a small 174. If Imar comes over, either AM or KY ride the pine imo.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Actually my comments were in response to your first post on this thread:

That's just you being a tool for no reason. Which has become your M.O. You used to actually contribute, but those days are long gone. PSU success is kind of like drinking too much, your fan bases true colors finally come out.
I give up. I made one post- the "all that winning" was not me. I was observing how the BTN network and app has increased the opportunity to follow my school's teams. I am sure it helped Iowa fans in other sports as well...

Many of their former wrestlers are petty whiners much like their fans. Taylor is no different. Two days after Nationals, he was whining about the Te'Shan Campbell transfer to Ohio State and tweeted this:

How is there a transfer the day after the NCAA's, A kid isn't allowed to talk to another school w/o release.. Pitt released day NCAA ended?

What's the legality of this process. Extremely curious.. release/ transfer/ eligibility is not easy. And all in 1 day!?
Taylor trying to expose other teams for possibly pushing the rules recruiting wise is laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT