ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry

ok say its true where does "Bull" wrestle or does he sit another year?
I believe all this is talk about joining HWC and not U of Iowa.

I don't believe it, but if true IMO Sorensen might be odd man out.

Getting two guys to produce is much different than getting an entire team to produce. If any one of our coaches spent all their time with two guys I think the result would be the same. Trying to win every single year as a team is much different than having the same number of national champions in the same amount of time. You can make the argument that other schools have had more national champions than Iowa since 2014. But they aren't trying to win nationals every year. Whether Iowa is winning titles or not they are still trying to win them. The same can't be said for 90% of the country.

I'm not saying Perry is a bad coach, I'm just saying taking Terry out of his role is not the answer. Bringing Perry in isn't the silver bullet despite how great people think he is. (So if Iowa turns the corner it will be because Perry came to Iowa) i can see the headlines already

I am not saying it would happen, but if Perry did come to Iowa and they started winning titles shortly after that, you can bet that would be the headline and probably deservedly so. Do not get me wrong. I am not saying it would happen, but what is wrong with admitting that something has to change or be added to the mix to get the Hawks winning multiple titles year in and year out.

I think everyone is of the belief that the Hawks are just one little thing away from being dominant again. They sure train like they are banging on the door to another run of titles. I am not saying Perry is it, but he or someone like that may be the spice that makes the meal go from tasting good to being a gourmet dish. (the analogy just came to me- is it profound or silly?)

A couple big donors to the HWC may also be the spice that is needed.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Can't argue with those stats. He's been known in his career to hang out during tough matches and score late. He's acknowledged as much during interviews. I personally like him and think he'll be a great get for any program. But sometimes I watch people on here criticize someone like * for something they're willing to overlook in someone else. That was all.

A few more stats re Imar - his results vs Iowa:

2014-15

157 - #5 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #15 Michael Kelly (IA), 21-6
157 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. Mike Kelly (IA), 16-5

2015-16

157 -- #1 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA), 21-5

2016-17

165 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. #9 Alex Marinelli (Unat. IA), 14-5

Like several others, I disagree with your assessment of Imar. I think the opposite... he is an offensive machine. The relatively few times he's not, it's typically against a very high quality opponent e.g. Nolf, Vincenzo. Metcalf had close matches at times (e.g. vs Palmer) but I wouldn't conclude Metcalf wasn't offense minded because of that.

Imar coming to HWC, if it happens, would be a huge boost. He is a decent guy and blue ribbon wrestler... may be a world or Olympic team member some day. It could also help with a connection to CA's vast talent pool. I'd love to see it happen.

A few more stats re Imar - his results vs Iowa:

2014-15

157 - #5 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #15 Michael Kelly (IA), 21-6
157 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. Mike Kelly (IA), 16-5

2015-16

157 -- #1 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA), 21-5

2016-17

165 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. #9 Alex Marinelli (Unat. IA), 14-5

Like several others, I disagree with your assessment of Imar. I think the opposite... he is an offensive machine. The relatively few times he's not, it's typically against a very high quality opponent e.g. Nolf, Vincenzo. Metcalf had close matches at times (e.g. vs Palmer) but I wouldn't conclude Metcalf wasn't offense minded because of that.

Imar coming to HWC, if it happens, would be a huge boost. He is a decent guy and blue ribbon wrestler... may be a world or Olympic team member some day. It could also help with a connection to CA's vast talent pool. I'd love to see it happen.
Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
HWC needs a 74kg
IMar would fit in great at Iowa!

Actually my comments were in response to your first post on this thread:

That's just you being a tool for no reason. Which has become your M.O. You used to actually contribute, but those days are long gone. PSU success is kind of like drinking too much, your fan bases true colors finally come out.
For no reason? Look, I understand the fragile psyche here....I really do, but it's hard to spare you guys from certain things I say when so many of your fans like to insinuate that Cael and PSU are cheating. The sport is having a hard time as it is keeping Division 1 schools from dropping its programs and generating fan interest. Your buddy's are doing nothing to help the sport by calling it "dirty". I'm sorry... they just aren't...

For no reason? Look, I understand the fragile psyche here....I really do, but it's hard to spare you guys from certain things I say when so many of your fans like to insinuate that Cael and PSU are cheating. The sport is having a hard time as it is keeping Division 1 schools from dropping its programs and generating fan interest. Your buddy's are doing nothing to help the sport by calling it "dirty". I'm sorry... they just aren't...
and P$U is doing such good things for the sport by hand picking the elite of the elite recruits and building an up and down lineup of top ten pfp kids.
Just one of those kids (Suriano, Mark Hall, Nick Lee, Berge, etc...) could be a program changer at up and coming programs. My beef isn't that these kids didn't go to Iowa, it's that they went to a powerhouse that don't need them to contend. A place where a blue chip will ride the pine for a year or two where instead they could be turning a fringe program around.
Look at what Seth Gross is doing for Bono at SDSU. That's good for the sport.
If I'm an AD contemplating my wrestling program, the thought of recruiting a top stud from my own backyard than losing him with a simple phone call from Carl is defintely in the back of my mind.

and P$U is doing such good things for the sport by hand picking the elite of the elite recruits and building an up and down lineup of top ten pfp kids.
Just one of those kids (Suriano, Mark Hall, Nick Lee, Berge, etc...) could be a program changer at up and coming programs. My beef isn't that these kids didn't go to Iowa, it's that they went to a powerhouse that don't need them to contend. A place where a blue chip will ride the pine for a year or two where instead they could be turning a fringe program around.
If I'm an AD contemplating my wrestling program, the thought of recruiting a top stud from my own backyard than losing him with a simple phone call from Carl is defintely in the back of my mind.
What Cael is doing should push other programs to get better not sit around hoping the NCAA brings in UNICEF to help them figure out how to treat the sport as a charity and divvy up talent. Tom said it best, "we need to get better" when asked about recruiting. He was right. And to be honest, I think they did just that. It is Caels job to do the very best that he can and win. If he doesn't do that he would eventually be replaced. Should there be more parity in the sport? Yes....absolutely. Is it Caels job to make sure there is? You and I both know the answer to that one..

Reactions: lionlover
I am not saying it would happen, but if Perry did come to Iowa and they started winning titles shortly after that, you can bet that would be the headline and probably deservedly so. Do not get me wrong. I am not saying it would happen, but what is wrong with admitting that something has to change or be added to the mix to get the Hawks winning multiple titles year in and year out.

I think everyone is of the belief that the Hawks are just one little thing away from being dominant again. They sure train like they are banging on the door to another run of titles. I am not saying Perry is it, but he or someone like that may be the spice that makes the meal go from tasting good to being a gourmet dish. (the analogy just came to me- is it profound or silly?)

A couple big donors to the HWC may also be the spice that is needed.

Saying that one person is going to be the difference is like saying Iowa is going to win because Spencer Lee signed. Like I said earlier.. there will be an uptick because of Perry. There was an uptick at Illinois when he went there, then what happened? You can give him the credit when they were on the rise but when they fell off it's not his fault. He's not the head coach so the demise or fall back to earth of Illinois isn't on him. Doesn't work that way. Early when he was at Illinois the Iowa/Illinois dual was a scrap. They damn near beat Iowa when he first got there. Now not so much. All I'm saying is one person isn't the savior to a program.

Curious to get everyone's (message board rumor adjusted, of course) 1-10 scores of how likely they think following things are to happening.

Perry to HWC
Perry to Iowa (as Assistant)
IMar to Iowa (this year)
IMar to HWC (future)
PD3 to Iowa
PD3 to HWC

Name/score your own hypothetical:

Reactions: KentuckyMudFlapIII
Actually my comments were in response to your first post on this thread:

That's just you being a tool for no reason. Which has become your M.O. You used to actually contribute, but those days are long gone. PSU success is kind of like drinking too much, your fan bases true colors finally come out.
GTFOH!!! your not welcome here. I would just like to read a post on our board without some JA from PSU f***ing it up.

Curious to get everyone's (message board rumor adjusted, of course) 1-10 scores of how likely they think following things are to happening.

Perry to HWC
Perry to Iowa (as Assistant)
IMar to Iowa (this year)
IMar to HWC (future)
PD3 to Iowa
PD3 to HWC

Name/score your own hypothetical:

1 unlikely - 10 likely
Guessing...

Perry to HWC 7
Perry to Iowa (as Assistant) 2
IMar to Iowa (this year) 1
IMar to HWC (future) 9
PD3 to Iowa 1
PD3 to HWC 2

I would just like to read a post on our board without some JA from PSU f***ing it up.
You guys keep saying that yet it's one of your knuckleheads that first brings up PSU in many threads. It happened in this one and it happened again in the #I recruiting thread. To be honest it happens a lot. Surely you know that right? ....right?

Pretty much what everyone said about Gable and Iowa for 20 years.

You guys keep saying that yet it's one of your knuckleheads that first brings up PSU in many threads. It happened in this one and it happened again in the #I recruiting thread. To be honest it happens a lot. Surely you know that right? ....right?

In this very thread, Spooner gave the sage advice below. You would be wise to consider it.

"The issue most have is every discussion about Iowa wrestling seems to evolve into a PSU debate. It shouldn't be that way. Iowa fans are going to make offhanded comments about PSU that their fans aren't going to like. That's part of life. Our PSU visitors seem to lack the ability to let such statements slide off their backs and instead it CONSISTENTLY becomes a massive thread hijack.

For instance, this thread is about Mark Perry and Iowa wrestling. A comment about PSU doesn't need to be elaborated on. Know where you are. Know the subject at hand. Resist the temptation to take what's in your head and put it on the board."

I would have never seen his post if you hadn't quoted it. Ignore is a great feature...jus' sayin'
I used to get a chuckle out of people and the use of the ignore feature until I sat down and really thought about it. Society more and more needs their "safe space" to keep from having to hear things they disagree with or God forbid become offended. Not sure why I thought a wrestling message board should be somewhat different.

In this very thread, Spooner gave the sage advice below. You would be wise to consider it.

Iowa fans are going to make offhanded comments about PSU that their fans aren't going to like. That's part of life. "
Point taken! I'll make one quick comment and leave you all to your "safe space". I find it interesting that you all feel you shouldn't be subject to the "part of life" that exposes you to negative comments and things you disagree with. As I alluded to in a previous post, the ignore feature seems to be a vital element to this board...and although I never really understood why one one need to use it I certainly do now. I apologize for being so insensitive.

Just so you know, to every other person on this planet, when the name Penn State comes up the first thought is PEDOPHILE. I'm sorry... it just is... And that will never change. So, take your I'm greater than thou crap back to Rapey Valley.
Isn't like 12 guys in a frat at PSU being charged with the death of another student because of hazing?

I get that, but I bet some of the following things weren't around back in Gables days....

Flowrestling
Trackwrestling
Young Guns Wrestling Club
"insert name" wrestling club x 100
Who's Number 1
Super 32
Beat the Streets

etc...

I would love to know how many NCAA wrestling programs existed 20 yrs ago compared to today.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Point taken! I'll make one quick comment and leave you all to your "safe space". I find it interesting that you all feel you shouldn't be subject to the "part of life" that exposes you to negative comments and things you disagree with. As I alluded to in a previous post, the ignore feature seems to be a vital element to this board...and although I never really understood why one one need to use it I certainly do now. I apologize for being so insensitive.

Come on JTS...you act as if fan sites are not territorial. How many of these guys do you see posting over on BWI on a regular basis? If someone is the least bit critical of Cael or your wrestlers, they get dogpiled not to mention the criticism of Iowa wrestling. Difference is, our guys don't go to your board and read whats being said and report it on a regular basis. To be honest, most don't give a damn.

For the record, I do this all the time using the "ignore" feature. If we all did it, the knuckleheads would disappear.
I think the above message bears repeating. The board is a real pleasure to read when it's not cluttered with negative, counterproductive stuff. You limit your reading to reasonable, constructive offerings and filter out the baloney. It also helps you steer clear of getting bogged down in trivial arguments with folks who just want to bring you down. Plus, consistent with human nature, when Iowa haters find that they no longer get a rise out of Hawk fans because everyone has them on "ignore", they'll cease to get a kick out of trying to annoy Iowa fans and go away.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I used to get a chuckle out of people and the use of the ignore feature until I sat down and really thought about it. Society more and more needs their "safe space" to keep from having to hear things they disagree with or God forbid become offended. Not sure why I thought a wrestling message board should be somewhat different.

OK, I'm sorry I'm responding to this, and I won't again after this.

I don't need a "safe space" from anyone. I'm just tired of PSU jerkoffs coming on our board and trolling and looking for some sort of validation of their greatness. There are several good posters from BWI that come on here and add to the discussions with dignity. You, sir, are not one of them. I was mistaken earlier, I didn't have you on ignore because a couple times you posted something useful and I was giving you a chance, but not anymore. I have never gone on your site and trolled it, and I won't in the future (however distant) when we're back on top, but in the meantime, I won't be seeing the garbage you want to post. I 'm not ignoring you because we disagree, but because you're a ______ (add your own expletive, I won't lower myself).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT