ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Stuns Illinois without Ayala..

Tough fade away shot for Illinois misses ... Illinois foul. Not the bonus. Another Illinois foul with 17.1 seconds left.

Maryland 2 FTs. Illinois layup (down 3). Maryland calls timeout on the inbound play. 8.8 seconds left.

Dang Cryin had a good look there to tie. I'm fully in the camp to foul when up 3 now before they shoot.

Sorry Illini fan, but............. YES TERPS!!!

tenor.gif

How do you get trounced at home by Michigan and Iowa, but also win at Wisky and Illinois?

I agree with others on here. I am just not impressed with the Illini. If the Hawks lose to them, it will be because we beat ourselves. Good grief, guard the three, double COCKburn (this will easily make him a non factor) and make Dusumu go left...BOOM. No one else on that team is going to win the game for them. They do really get up for the Hawks though, so I am sure it will be a good game, but we just have to play our game and we should be fine. But, it is the BIG so if we don't they can beat us and there would be no shame in losing to them at their place. Glad they lost tonight though.

Reactions: KcTo
I agree with others on here. I am just not impressed with the Illini. If the Hawks lose to them, it will be because we beat ourselves. Good grief, guard the three, double COCKburn (this will easily make him a non factor) and make Dusumu go left...BOOM. No one else on that team is going to win the game for them. They do really get up for the Hawks though, so I am sure it will be a good game, but we just have to play our game and we should be fine. But, it is the BIG so if we don't they can beat us and there would be no shame in losing to them at their place. Glad they lost tonight though.

they are a tough team to figure out. When at their best, they are very, very good. The other night they outscored Northwestern 53-13 in the second half. Northwestern is decent, and they made them look like the JV. But when the Illini are not good, they are not good. When these teams play each other matters. I guarantee Illinois mentally thought it would be a cakewalk after seeing Iowa drill them and Ayala wasn't playing. They play flat, then the game is close and they miss some shots. Illini losing today was good news for Iowa's conference title chances. Let's see if Iowa can pile up 4-5 more in a row.

I will say, Frazier got hurt and missed the 2nd Half, that hurt them, especially in the last minutes.

Reactions: Hawkman34
they are a tough team to figure out. When at their best, they are very, very good. The other night they outscored Northwestern 53-13 in the second half. Northwestern is decent, and they made them look like the JV. But when the Illini are not good, they are not good. When these teams play each other matters. I guarantee Illinois mentally thought it would be a cakewalk after seeing Iowa drill them and Ayala wasn't playing. They play flat, then the game is close and they miss some shots. Illini losing today was good news for Iowa's conference title chances. Let's see if Iowa can pile up 4-5 more in a row.
the mental part of the game is very underrated.

in Iowa's minds, at Minny, they thought they had the game wrapped up with a 7 pt lead w/ 44 seconds to go.

You gotta show up for each game.

For all 40 minutes.

the mental part of the game is very underrated.

in Iowa's minds, at Minny, they thought they had the game wrapped up with a 7 pt lead w/ 44 seconds to go.

You gotta show up for each game.

For all 40 minutes.

Iowa did have the game won at Minnesota. Iowa didn't let up, really. Iowa showed up and played. Trailed in the second half and played great to get the lead. Minnesota hit a bunch of shots, and Joe T misses 2 free throws, Carr hits a 3 and it's tied.

The best part of Iowa's Big 10 season so far has been how good overall their effort level has been for each conference game. The bench bailed Iowa out at Maryland, but Iowa now has 5 Big 10 wins, with 4 of those by at least 15 points. All of those wins against good teams. That is impressive.

Iowa did have the game won at Minnesota. Iowa didn't let up, really. Iowa showed up and played. Trailed in the second half and played great to get the lead. Minnesota hit a bunch of shots, and Joe T misses 2 free throws, Carr hits a 3 and it's tied.

The best part of Iowa's Big 10 season so far has been how good overall their effort level has been for each conference game. The bench bailed Iowa out at Maryland, but Iowa now has 5 Big 10 wins, with 4 of those by at least 15 points. All of those wins against good teams. That is impressive.

I would only argue that Joe T has to focus & get his mind right in the closing seconds when he steps up to the FT line in pressure situations.

In the Minny game, if he makes just 1 of 2, Iowa wins and Iowa is undefeated in conference play. Instead, the players were completely pissed off in how that game ended.

I hope they learned their lesson now & won't have to learn it again in the National Championship game. ;)

I would only argue that Joe T has to focus & get his mind right in the closing seconds when he steps up to the FT line in pressure situations.

In the Minny game, if he makes just 1 of 2, Iowa wins and Iowa is undefeated in conference play. Instead, the players were completely pissed off in how that game ended.

I hope they learned their lesson now & won't have to learn it again in the National Championship game. ;)
The great coaches always said that there are some benefits from having a loss or 2 going into the tournaments...

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT