ADVERTISEMENT

Mulvey redshirting

He's the 4th big in the rotation--he wasn't going to get any minutes anyways. This is total speculation, but I'd assume that he will graduate this year and then be moving onto another school come the spring. And as a transfer, he's a lot more valuable with 2 years of eligibility as opposed to 1.

He's the 4th big in the rotation--he wasn't going to get any minutes anyways. This is total speculation, but I'd assume that he will graduate this year and then be moving onto another school come the spring. And as a transfer, he's a lot more valuable with 2 years of eligibility as opposed to 1.
Those were my exact thoughts.

Reactions: amahawk
Makes sense to save the eligibility, get his degree, drop down to a level more appropriate to his skill level.

I thought he would transfer last spring.
Maybe he will benefit from yet another year of practice and lifting but not playing in games cannot be great for development either besides taking away the joy of competing.
Good luck to Riley.

I thought he would transfer last spring.
Maybe he will benefit from yet another year of practice and lifting but not playing in games cannot be great for development either besides taking away the joy of competing.
Good luck to Riley.
Hopefully this is just to make it easier for him to transfer next year because he'll still be 3rd string if not.

I just think that he isn’t strong enough yet and gets moved off the block by stronger players. Taking a redshirt this year will be good for Riley and next season, whether he is here or moves on seems like a good thing for everyone. My hope is he gets stronger and better conditioned and comes back next season ready to show everyone what he can do. He seems like a good teammate. Sometimes bigs develop slower

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
D1 Basketball can give 15 scholarships. Realsistically, after the first 10 who cares who gets one? If I was going to take a chance on one between 11-15 developing late it would be on a 7 footer. Assuming of course he wants to be here and is working at getting better.

D1 Basketball can give 15 scholarships. Realsistically, after the first 10 who cares who gets one? If I was going to take a chance on one between 11-15 developing late it would be on a 7 footer. Assuming of course he wants to be here and is working at getting better.
*13 scholarships. It's only 15 for the women.

I hope that’s right

Men get 13, Women get 15 - look it up.
How many full scholarships does D1 basketball get?

NCAA Division I

Division I women's basketball programs are limited to 13 full tuition scholarships, while the men's programs are capped at 15 full ride scholarships. That means only 13 women and 15 men will receive Division I basketball scholarships in any given year.

Men get 13, Women get 15 - look it up.
How many full scholarships does D1 basketball get?

NCAA Division I

Division I women's basketball programs are limited to 13 full tuition scholarships, while the men's programs are capped at 15 full ride scholarships. That means only 13 women and 15 men will receive Division I basketball scholarships in any given year.

Each Division 1 men’s basketball program can award 13 full athletic scholarships. These scholarships, called headcount scholarships, cover all college costs, including tuition, housing, books, etc. After the 13 scholarships have been handed out, additional athletes can walk on to the team, but aren’t eligible for athletic aid.

Each Division 1 women’s basketball program can award 15 headcount scholarships. Division 1 basketball scholarships are full rides and cover all college costs, including tuition, housing, books, etc. After the 15 scholarships have been awarded, additional athletes on the team and considered walk-ons and aren’t eligible to receive athletic aid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT