ADVERTISEMENT

Mulvey next game?

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
I know he's redshirting but he's got some games to play. Wouldn't it make sense to dress him against Purdue as another big to foul Edey?

Freeman is the best interior defender on the team, regardless. He’s a physical player and I’m curious as to how well he matches up. Hope he gets lots of minutes because Krikke is going to get torched.

Iowa is going to have to double Edey on post touches all game on Monday. One thing that helps Northwestern is that trapping post touches is a part of their every day defensive scheme, so everyone is really good at knowing where the rotations need to come from and how to scramble out of it. Iowa doesn't do as much of it, so it'll be interesting to see how some of the young guys in particular are at rotating and scrambling. Last year when we played them, I actually thought our defense on Edey was pretty solid--only limited him to 14 points and forced 17 TOs overall--however, our rotations and scrambling wasn't as sharp as it needed to be and some guys went off for 3. Bottom line is that in order to beat Purdue, some of that is going to come down to PU missing some shots--the very nature of Edey forcing doubles means that someone is always open.

Iowa is going to have to double Edey on post touches all game on Monday. One thing that helps Northwestern is that trapping post touches is a part of their every day defensive scheme, so everyone is really good at knowing where the rotations need to come from and how to scramble out of it. Iowa doesn't do as much of it, so it'll be interesting to see how some of the young guys in particular are at rotating and scrambling. Last year when we played them, I actually thought our defense on Edey was pretty solid--only limited him to 14 points and forced 17 TOs overall--however, our rotations and scrambling wasn't as sharp as it needed to be and some guys went off for 3. Bottom line is that in order to beat Purdue, some of that is going to come down to PU missing some shots--the very nature of Edey forcing doubles means that someone is always open.
Interesting dilemma. I like the idea of speeding up the game to make him run, run, run. If there is a way to do that without giving them tons of open looks from 3? I am thinking the full court press could work against us by slowing the game down, into more of a half court affair. Ugh.

I'd rather they just let him get his points than giving up open 3s. Iowa is going to have to win with offense.

Thats what NW did......
Did you watch the game? NW doubled Edey every time he touched it--that's what their defensive identity is, they always trap post. Purdue had a lot of open looks from 3, they just missed a lot of them. Lance Jones in particular probably missed 5 wide open looks.

Did you watch the game? NW doubled Edey every time he touched it--that's what their defensive identity is, they always trap post. Purdue had a lot of open looks from 3, they just missed a lot of them. Lance Jones in particular probably missed 5 wide open looks.
No I didn't. Sorry to get you all up in arms though, lol... Just figured when I saw the box score and they said Edey had 35 and 14 rebounds and the Boilers couldn't make anything from outside, they must have gone that route. Once again though sorry to misinform, and get you all upset though......

No I didn't. Sorry to get you all up in arms though, lol... Just figured when I saw the box score and they said Edey had 35 and 14 rebounds and the Boilers couldn't make anything from outside, they must have gone that route. Once again though sorry to misinform, and get you all upset though......
Not up in arms, just telling you that you were incorrect in your assumption. It's pretty weird to comment on a post that something happened as a fact when you didn't actually watch that happen lol. Sometimes box scores are misleading.

I know he's redshirting but he's got some games to play. Wouldn't it make sense to dress him against Purdue as another big to foul Edey?
You have 10 games before a medical redshirt is out of the question. A regular redshirt is burned as soon as you enter a game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Thank you very much, I appreciate your support!
I'm not really supporting you, your short sightedness is a little premature. Riley has skills and one thing you can't teach in basketball is height and he has height and is long. He hasn't shown anything in his last 2 years at Iowa that he's a waste of space. When he's had the opportunity to play, he runs the floor, has good hands, sets screens, and makes his free throws when fouled and if it wasn't for him, Iowa would not have taken down Michigan last year at home.
Just because he hasn't seen playing time in his first 2 years, hay you and others can assume all the negatives you want. but I see a player that along with Freeman and Dembele can provide defense that all you Iowa fans have bitched about Fran not providing much of, so no, I don't agree with your opinion at all of Riley Mulvey, and until Riley Mulvey exhausts his eligibility at Iowa or Fran points him in another direction, I'm going to support him like he supports his teammates from the bench during the Iowa games....again have a nice life!

Last edited:
Obligatory ... :)

2822f7b5b56219a193469c4df9c6bc2f.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT