ADVERTISEMENT

My predictions for Iowa at Penn State

Haines goes no doubt he won't make 157 after this year. I can see Spencer pinning, Woods, Murin and Kennedy winning. RBY by major, Haines and Starocci winning and Brooks by major. That's 15-14 Iowa with 197 and Hwt remaining. If that happens it will be a great dual for the fans.

125: Lee pins Steen 0-6
133: RBY dec Teske 3-6
141: Woods dec Bartlett 3-9
149: Murin Dec Van Ness 3-12
157: Haines dec Siebrecht 3-12
165: Kennedy dec Facundo 3-15
174: Starocci dec Brands 6-15
184: Brooks dec Assad 9-15
197: Dean dec Warner 12-15
Hwt: Cass dec Kerk 12-18
Probably my best guess too, but for some reason I keep wanting to flip your 149 and 157 results.

Haines goes no doubt he won't make 157 after this year. I can see Spencer pinning, Woods, Murin and Kennedy winning. RBY by major, Haines and Starocci winning and Brooks by major. That's 15-14 Iowa with 197 and Hwt remaining. If that happens it will be a great dual for the fans.
Checking Starocci’s record I found he’s at least majored 9/10 matches. Five majors, and two TFs and Fs. So he’s getting it done.
Brooks had a loss, one regular decision , one major, and two TFs and Fs.

from a fanbase that thought Grothus could beat Ditka, i expected at least someone to have faith in Warner.

i think the match is a toss up.
Checked wrestlestat……….Ditka must have ducked cuz I don’t see the result. Grothus would have worked him from top.

• Haha
Reactions: TNTwrestle
I've got:

125 Lee FALL 6-0
133 RBY MDec 6-4
141 Woods Dec 9-4
149 Murin Dec 12-4
157 Haines Dec 12-7
165 PK Dec 15-7
174 Star MDec 15-11
184 AB MDec 15-15
197 Dean Dec 15-18
285 Cass Dec 18-18

Good guys win on criteria due to Spencer's pin
One thing I believe people overlook as a met progresses is as the score changes the goals might change.
If psu goes down 6-0, then 6-4 how will the next weight up adapt ? Will someone press and make a mistake ? Will this one or that one be tentative and leave themselves open?
It’s interesting and I could see your scenario play out .

I will take that Vak!!!! Most worried about Warner against Dean. If his knee is hurting? He has to stay off bottom and out of that Bow&arrow. That SOB will try and hurt him with that crap. He grabs toes twisting guys foot, not sure why no illegal calls? Warner better be ready! Get to a sit position and fight from there might be best bet?
If they wrap a pink ribbon around the knee and make Dean pinky swear not to bend it, Warner should be fine

125 Lee 6-0
133 RBY 6-6
141 Wood 9-6
149 Murin 12-6
157 Haines 12-9
165 Kennedy 15-9
174 Starrocci 15-13
184 Brook 15-17
197 Dean 15-20
HWT Cass 18-20

Lee over Steen - Fall 6-0 Not much needs to be said
RBY dec Teske - 9-3 6-3 Familiarity keeps it to a decision
Woods dec Bartlett 6-2 9-3 More capable offensively and gets a quick turn
Murin dec Van Ness 3-2 12-3 I'll take his experience but they are one in the same
Cobe dec Barraclough 8-5 15-3 Cobe is wrestling well and Barraclough is certainly beatable
or
Haines dec Cobe 8-6 15-6 I'll use the first one
Kennedy dec Facundo 6-4 18-3 I thought Kennedy looked good against Hamiti. No reason he can't
Starocci dec Brands 8-3 18-6 Brands hand fighting will keep it to a decision
Brooks maj dec Abe 11-3 18-10 Just better
Dean dec Warner 4-3 18-13 Warner not wrestling up to his standards
Cass dec Kerk 5-3 21-13 Cass will take it to him late. Kerk fades and/or quits like against Paris

Ya I said it. Most of the "toss-ups" I favored the Hawks - admittedly.

Am hoping they start at 141 and finish with Lee bumping up to 133 with the dual on the line. Would love nothing more than a super match between Lee and RBY!

I'm predicting a lot of boring matches. Iowa may only get 3-4 takedowns all night.

Lee WBF 6-0 - nothing needs to be said
RBY MD 6-4 - unless Teske does some next level stalling, there's no way this is a decision. Might be a TF
Real D 9-4 - gonna be a boring match. Won on riding time
Murin D 12-4 - another boring match. Murin gets a counter TD to win
Haines D 12-7 - this will probably be the most exciting match of the night. Haines in a wild one
Facundo D 12-10 - yet another boring match. Might be 1-1 and won in rideouts
Starocci MD 12-14 - Brands is going to stall and hope for a decision
Brooks MD 12-18 - same as above
Dean D 12-21 - boring match. Decided by an OT takedown
Cass D 15-21 - Like last year, the dual will be out of reach, and Cass wins

Why would you ever give up 5-6 points? That essentially makes up for a toss up loss. And 5 would be a disappointment.
Can you imagine the amount of grief our coaches would get if they put Lee out at 133?

Harris and Matthews are not favored against Steen and probably closer to giving up bonus then Teske is to RBY. Then Spencer’s chances for a pin, let alone a win, are significantly decreased.

Running out Ayala is even worse unless he doesn’t plan on redshirting ever. And if that is the case, he should have been in the mix at 133 all year.

Reactions: mcpat and IRONBIRD
Another thing that can help or hurt Teske is Big Bro syndrome since he and RBY probably got after it a lot in the room.
Hoping he is able to keep it much closer and have an opportunity to win. Kinda like Schriever vs desanto last year, except teske getting a takedown or near fall

I'm predicting a lot of boring matches. Iowa may only get 3-4 takedowns all night.

Lee WBF 6-0 - nothing needs to be said
RBY MD 6-4 - unless Teske does some next level stalling, there's no way this is a decision. Might be a TF
Real D 9-4 - gonna be a boring match. Won on riding time
Murin D 12-4 - another boring match. Murin gets a counter TD to win
Haines D 12-7 - this will probably be the most exciting match of the night. Haines in a wild one
Facundo D 12-10 - yet another boring match. Might be 1-1 and won in rideouts
Starocci MD 12-14 - Brands is going to stall and hope for a decision
Brooks MD 12-18 - same as above
Dean D 12-21 - boring match. Decided by an OT takedown
Cass D 15-21 - Like last year, the dual will be out of reach, and Cass wins
Could be.

25-9 huh? It could happen. But

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

• Haha
Reactions: jmadden1998
Can you imagine the amount of grief our coaches would get if they put Lee out at 133?

Harris and Matthews are not favored against Steen and probably closer to giving up bonus then Teske is to RBY. Then Spencer’s chances for a pin, let alone a win, are significantly decreased.

Running out Ayala is even worse unless he doesn’t plan on redshirting ever. And if that is the case, he should have been in the mix at 133 all year.
Oh Ayala is going into the portal next year, now what team could use a 125 lb, the NITS.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
Iowa definitely has a path to victory. It will be a great match and I can't wait to watch. They need to wrestle close to a perfect dual meet team effort-wise, but it's possible. Recently they haven't lived up to their ceiling, but they're sure due for a good night. Let's just hope everyone gives their best and it's a night wrestling fans can enjoy. The sad thing is it generates a lot of interest but really doesn't mean much in the big picture and what will likely happen in March, regardless of whether or not that's the best for the sport. Parity would be awesome for college wrestling.

If the dual starts at 125, then Iowa would have to probably have like 15 points after 165 to have a realistic chance. It would be interesting to see how Nelson and Assad wrestle if that’s the case. Are they just trying to keep it to a decision or are they letting it all go and taking chances?!? My heart and head have different answers. 🤦‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT