ADVERTISEMENT

My predictions for Iowa at Penn State

I think your math is solid. I’m a psu fan so I see it similar but differently. I think 141,149 are very important for Iowa and maybe not as solid as an Iowa fan might think.
If psu wins those two which some think are pretty solid for Iowa it’s going to be a long night for Iowa.
As for 157 and 165 PSU has a shot at those two weights. But we will see , and again if that 15 points is actually greater for Iowa they’re in great shape. With the flip side pointing the other way .

Spencer wrestles 125.. dual score most likely 6-4 going into 141
Spencer 133.. Ayala bonus at 125 , so worst case, split first two weight and 4-3 going into 141 OR Spencer wins and 7-0 or 8-0 going into 141

Is it worth the risk for Spencer to bump up to face RBY?

Spencer 133.. Ayala bonus at 125 , so worst case, split first two weight and 4-3 going into 141 OR Spencer wins and 7-0 or 8-0 going into 141

Drake looses a shirt if he wrestles. If Spencer wrestlers 133 we lose 125. Spencer will not be wrestling 133, it makes no sense for him or the team.

No

Either way it is not happening lol.

If Penn State fans and wrestling media want a super match so bad why isn't there any talk of RBY bumping to 41 to wrestle Real? Makes as much sense as Spencer bumping to 33. I'd love to see that match and I think Real would have a pretty good shot.
Again, this is a team sport, not some UFC pay per view event. No one is moving out of their normal class for some kind of rating hype.

Reactions: Creek Side
If Penn State fans and wrestling media want a super match so bad why isn't there any talk of RBY bumping to 41 to wrestle Real? Makes as much sense as Spencer bumping to 33. I'd love to see that match and I think Real would have a pretty good shot.
You guys were the ones saying Spencer would take 133 if he wanted. This is his chance. Deep water at 33 especially after the iowa-penn st dual.

Reactions: el dub
If Vegas issued an over/under line for this match, and it was PUS - 7 1/2 ? If so, how would you bet?

Wtf are you babbling about? Really? Because deep down, I don’t get that feeling. But I do see us starting the dual with 6….
It could be a PSU guy getting caught…maybe that’s what he’s feeling. Seems there’s always a surprise when these two teams get together. My guess tho? It’ll be Warner getting decked. Lol

It could be a PSU guy getting caught…maybe that’s what he’s feeling. Seems there’s always a surprise when these two teams get together. My guess tho? It’ll be Warner getting decked. Lol
No. Dude (a Hawk fan?) is fealing like an Iowa guy is getting decked. That’s some chicken shite right there, imo.

Btw, I don’t think your 125 pounder is getting caught. (But SL will probably win by pinfall.)

Reactions: Grip220
Seriously? KYb jelly is not on the same planet as SL for 1. TWOOO) Woods would take him to the Woodshed!!! Maybe you all should go re-watch jellies matches with top competitors! It is always a "bob n weave" stall play the edge affair. If the dang REFs called the matches by rule, he would lose most of them!

Seriously? KYb jelly is not on the same planet as SL for 1. TWOOO) Woods would take him to the Woodshed!!! Maybe you all should go re-watch jellies matches with top competitors! It is always a "bob n weave" stall play the edge affair. If the dang REFs called the matches by rule, he would lose most of them!
Who in the heck besides Iowa fans are talking about guys bumping to scrap?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Who in the heck besides Iowa fans are talking about guys bumping to scrap?
No one that I know of, it reminds me of comic book fans arguing that Batman could beat wolverine, LOLOL!
This is big-time college sports with the big 10 team race on the line in the NCAA championships, they’re not gonna screw around with the lineup to placate fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: aije and el dub
Since we have all the PSU folks over here & we're all being squirrely. I have an honest question regarding your football coach. This may belong on another board but seems to have some relevance since James Franklin has been sitting mat side @ some of the home meets and I'd guess he'll likely be where he's visible, again on Friday night.

Franklin's been reminding me of someone or some thing for quite some time but I could never quite put my finger on it until it dawned on me last Friday...
Do you think Franklin looks like the Patrick character from SpongeBob SquarePants?

Just curious if you have similar thoughts or see the resemblance.

Since we have all the PSU folks over here & we're all being squirrely. I have an honest question regarding your football coach. This may belong on another board but seems to have some relevance since James Franklin has been sitting mat side @ some of the home meets and I'd guess he'll likely be where he's visible, again on Friday night.

Franklin's been reminding me of someone or some thing for quite some time but I could never quite put my finger on it until it dawned on me last Friday...
Do you think Franklin looks like the Patrick character from SpongeBob SquarePants?

Just curious if you have similar thoughts or see the resemblance.
Nah, Carleton from The Fresh Prince.

Reactions: Bones Malone
If Haines goes, I predict it will be the most entertaining match of the night.
I would be very surprised if he didn’t go a Friday. You can tell Carl “I have ideas or something” regarding what his lineup should look like.

I would be very surprised if he didn’t go a Friday. You can tell Carl “I have ideas or something” regarding what his lineup should look like.
The only way I see Haines not going is if Cael was feeding us b.s. about him not being a 157 for very long. If Cael and Levi agree he could make 157 again next year, I believe it's probable they would keep him in redshirt.

Last edited:
You guys were the ones saying Spencer would take 133 if he wanted. This is his chance. Deep water at 33 especially after the iowa-penn st dual.
It's not on Spencer to back up internet predictions. If Spencer made a claim he could take 133 and it wasn't an idiotic move from a team perspective then you have something to talk about. RBY is the only participant to comment on the matter.

Reactions: artradley and mcpat
Can you imagine the amount of grief our coaches would get if they put Lee out at 133?

Harris and Matthews are not favored against Steen and probably closer to giving up bonus then Teske is to RBY. Then Spencer’s chances for a pin, let alone a win, are significantly decreased.

Running out Ayala is even worse unless he doesn’t plan on redshirting ever. And if that is the case, he should have been in the mix at 133 all year.
The only way it makes sense to bump Spencer is if they start at 141 and 25/33 is last, which is why that was suggested. If Iowa is, say, down by 4-6 after 141-HWT, then they can't just "take the split" and need both weights to win, then the only path to victory is to hope the 125 backups can beat Steen, which is certainly not a given but not as unlikely and anyone other than Spencer beating RBY, either, and then have Spencer beat RBY in the showdown for the ages to close out the match. Neither of those wins is better than a 50-50 shot, but sending out the natural lineup (i.e. Spencer at 125 and Teske at 133) all but guarantees a split of the matches and not more than a 3 point gain.

141 Woods MD 4-0
149 Murin dec 7-0
157 Haines dec 7-3
165 Kennedy dec 10-3
174 Star dec 10-6
184 Brooks dec 10-9
197 Dean dec 10-12
HWT Kerk dec 10-15

If that's the score going into 125, what do you do? The only path to victory is beating RBY...

The other scenario is if the match is out of hand and Spencer himself wants the match to cement his legend status. Consider this (if everything goes wrong):

141 Woods dec 3-0
149 SVN dec 3-3
157 Haines dec 3-6
165 Facundo dec 3-9
175 Starocci MD 3-13
184 Brooks MD 3-17
197 Dean dec 3-20
HWT Kerk dec 3-23

125 and 133 are completely irrelevant to the outcome and Spencer wants a shot at RBY. Do you give it to him?

All of this is contingent on starting at 141, which itself is highly unlikely.
As much as I (and every other wrestling fan in the country) would love to see a Spencer-RBY battle of the titans, I know it's not going to happen, but there are some really narrow circumstances where it would make sense.

RBY-Real is not nearly the national attraction that RBY-Spencer is. RBY and Spencer are the top two contenders for the Hodge this year. Plus, PSU 125 and Iowa 133 are the lowest ranked spots in either of the two lineups, and they are slated to go against the other team's Hodge candidate, making for two all but predetermined matches rather than the most epic regular season battle in years.

Plus, Real needs to worry about Bartlett. Unlike PSU 125 and Iowa 133, Bartlett is a top 5 wrestler himself.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Drake looses a shirt if he wrestles. If Spencer wrestlers 133 we lose 125. Spencer will not be wrestling 133, it makes no sense for him or the team.
Not arguing, just asking...but I have read lately that there is a PSU grappler who is on the verge of using a year of eligibility due to having wrestled in 5 matches so far, I think. Whatever the number is...can a D1 wrestler now wrestle some matches in a year without forfeiting his shirt?

If so, then wouldn't it be plausible for Drake to wrestle one v. PSU and still not use a year of eligibility?

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I don't see it as a good idea to bump up mid-season for one match, even though it is Spencer Lee and I do think he would prevail. Can we have one match at say...129? :) It would draw some eyeballs, that's for sure. :)

Not arguing, just asking...but I have read lately that there is a PSU grappler who is on the verge of using a year of eligibility due to having wrestled in 5 matches so far, I think. Whatever the number is...can a D1 wrestler now wrestle some matches in a year without forfeiting his shirt?

If so, then wouldn't it be plausible for Drake to wrestle one v. PSU and still not use a year of eligibility?

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I don't see it as a good idea to bump up mid-season for one match, even though it is Spencer Lee and I do think he would prevail. Can we have one match at say...129? :) It would draw some eyeballs, that's for sure. :)
I asked the same question earlier. The answer is that the 5 match rule only applies to first year redshirts. Since Ayala wrestled last year, he is not afforded the 5 appearances to keep the shirt and just one would require burning it.

Levi Haines is the PSU wrestler you are referring to. He was still in high school last year (but wrestling unattached for NLWC), so this is his first year in a college program.

Maybe - but I could also see Kerk getting worked over in the 3rd and getting turned there too. Anything is possible in the upper weights. Who knows, maybe Abe goes back to his freshman year headlock? ;)

Reactions: IRONBIRD
The only way it makes sense to bump Spencer is if they start at 141 and 25/33 is last, which is why that was suggested. If Iowa is, say, down by 4-6 after 141-HWT, then they can't just "take the split" and need both weights to win, then the only path to victory is to hope the 125 backups can beat Steen, which is certainly not a given but not as unlikely and anyone other than Spencer beating RBY, either, and then have Spencer beat RBY in the showdown for the ages to close out the match. Neither of those wins is better than a 50-50 shot, but sending out the natural lineup (i.e. Spencer at 125 and Teske at 133) all but guarantees a split of the matches and not more than a 3 point gain.

141 Woods MD 4-0
149 Murin dec 7-0
157 Haines dec 7-3
165 Kennedy dec 10-3
174 Star dec 10-6
184 Brooks dec 10-9
197 Dean dec 10-12
HWT Kerk dec 10-15

If that's the score going into 125, what do you do? The only path to victory is beating RBY...

The other scenario is if the match is out of hand and Spencer himself wants the match to cement his legend status. Consider this (if everything goes wrong):

141 Woods dec 3-0
149 SVN dec 3-3
157 Haines dec 3-6
165 Facundo dec 3-9
175 Starocci MD 3-13
184 Brooks MD 3-17
197 Dean dec 3-20
HWT Kerk dec 3-23

125 and 133 are completely irrelevant to the outcome and Spencer wants a shot at RBY. Do you give it to him?

All of this is contingent on starting at 141, which itself is highly unlikely.
As much as I (and every other wrestling fan in the country) would love to see a Spencer-RBY battle of the titans, I know it's not going to happen, but there are some really narrow circumstances where it would make sense.
We don't have a guy who can beat Steen unless we burn Ayala's red shirt. So forget about it. I would like to think Ybarra could beat him but he's not looked good this year and has been up at 133.

We don't have a guy who can beat Steen unless we burn Ayala's red shirt. So forget about it. I would like to think Ybarra could beat him but he's not looked good this year and has been up at 133.
Burning Ayala's shirt is definitely stupid, so that's not going to happen, but what about the scenario (albeit very highly unlikely) that they do start at 141 and are down by 5 with 125 and 133 left? You have to win both weights to win. Do you think Teske has a better chance to beat RBY than one of the JVs beating Steen? I would answer no, so if you were confronted with that, I'd bump Spencer to give you the best chance to beat RBY and take my chances with a JV vs Steen. Again, I realize that just starting at 125, there is no chance at all that they alter the lineup, but in the given this hypothetical, it would make sense IMO.

Burning Ayala's shirt is definitely stupid, so that's not going to happen, but what about the scenario (albeit very highly unlikely) that they do start at 141 and are down by 5 with 125 and 133 left? You have to win both weights to win. Do you think Teske has a better chance to beat RBY than one of the JVs beating Steen? I would answer no, so if you were confronted with that, I'd bump Spencer to give you the best chance to beat RBY and take my chances with a JV vs Steen. Again, I realize that just starting at 125, there is no chance at all that they alter the lineup, but in the given this hypothetical, it would make sense IMO.
why would cael agree to start at 141?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT