ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson is back

I think one will go up instead of 2 sitting.
I think PK will be the odd man out. Even if PK beats Arnold I don’t think he beats Brands for 174. I also don’t think he beats Caliendo at 165 or beat either Brands or Arnold if he tries to go up to 184. It sucks. One of Brands or Arnold will be at 184 this year just not full size til BIGS

Reactions: el dub
I think PK will be the odd man out. Even if PK beats Arnold I don’t think he beats Brands for 174. I also don’t think he beats Caliendo at 165 or beat either Brands or Arnold if he tries to go up to 184. It sucks. One of Brands or Arnold will be at 184 this year just not full size til BIGS
PK vs Gabe will be a match, if Cali goes down to 57 (I’ll wait before penciling in Teemer) the lineup becomes much easier to map out.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not sure why most here are completely writing off Angelo as our 184 this season. If you've been paying attention the last few years the elite HS kids are all competing with D1 guys out of the gate and this kid is incredibly strong already and has been on a weight routine since he was in elementary school.

Not sure why most here are completely writing off Angelo as our 184 this season. If you've been paying attention the last few years the elite HS kids are all competing with D1 guys out of the gate and this kid is incredibly strong already and has been on a weight routine since he was in elementary school.
Very true - he’s a monster talent

i think the issue is really about his being big enough to wrestle 184 effectively, versus his actually being DI ready. By many accounts, currently, he would be more likely to make 165 than to wrestle 184...

This couldn't be any more of an Iowa/Brands situation.
true GIF by Shock Top

i think the issue is really about his being big enough to wrestle 184 effectively, versus his actually being DI ready. By many accounts, currently, he would be more likely to make 165 than to wrestle 184...
He said he doesn’t like big weight cuts. I would feel better about him at 165/174 as true freshman. I’m sure he could make the stand as freshman at 184, but he and we have higher goals for his four years than that.

As an individual 74 probably is a lot better for him, for the team him at 84 seems a lot better. But I’m still not sold on a super senior with a year off being the same guy.

Reactions: kkhawk and eb05
I think most feel he will need another year to fill out into a full size 184. It wasn’t long ago that he wrestled 165. Most could be wrong.

I think most feel he will need another year to fill out into a full size 184. It wasn’t long ago that he wrestled 165. Most could be wrong.
That is where I'm mentally as well. Dude is jacked and is the youngest of a pack of hellions, I'd venture to guess Angelo at 184 in 2025 > Nelson at 184 in 2025. As the youngest in a bunch of hellions myself I am pretty confident Angelo can handle 184 this year and be very likely on the podium at bare minimum. Just a hunch but it certainly does complicate things with Gabe with regard to N Brands. Let the best man win I guess. Nelson could end up being great depth this year as he can slide in 74/84 and presumably challenge for the podium at either weight.

Man we sure do know how to mess something up. There is a reason Arnold is not in Happy Valley and believe me it’s something very similar to what is happening with him right now. I was ecstatic when I found out Nelson was coming bac but not so much now!! 174 will have O’Toole, Hmmiti and Devos. Not to mention Haines or Facundo. 184 has Keck and maybe Plott for Nelson. Going from a real good chance at wrestling on Saturday night to at best a 40/60 chance. Then you upset one of the best recruits in the country on top of it. Just don’t understand the thought process behind this one. But I guess that’s why I am a fan and not the coach. LOL

Man we sure do know how to mess something up. There is a reason Arnold is not in Happy Valley and believe me it’s something very similar to what is happening with him right now. I was ecstatic when I found out Nelson was coming bac but not so much now!! 174 will have O’Toole, Hmmiti and Devos. Not to mention Haines or Facundo. 184 has Keck and maybe Plott for Nelson. Going from a real good chance at wrestling on Saturday night to at best a 40/60 chance. Then you upset one of the best recruits in the country on top of it. Just don’t understand the thought process behind this one. But I guess that’s why I am a fan and not the coach. LOL
I really appreciate your take above and feel the some way. Hopefully Nelson is messing with us concerning the weight he’s competing at next season. If not, I’m really hoping Gabe has improved enough to beat him. This is where the xtra two months of wrestling last season could have helped GA get over the hump and ready to dominate this upcoming year.

At the very least, if Gabe gets beat out by Nelson for 174, he needs to man 184 and have Angelo redshirt. Plugging him in somewhere is better than having him waste a year on the bench. PSU is one of the few programs that can afford to have blue chip guys ride pine after their redshirt year. Also, with all the blue chip guys piled up there, I’m sure Cael figures out what weight they are going and who is redshirting when, to maximize the number of those top guys in the lineup. This 174/184 situation needs to be ironed out way before the season, so a smaller guy has time to put on good weight. At PSU, Star would probably be better off going up one weight class, but since Barr is coming off redshirt, they suggested he go 197. This is similar to the Gabe/Nelson situation. Pk may be the odd man out unless Caliendo cuts to 157, and the Teemer to Iowa rumor is just that.

I really appreciate your take above and feel the some way. Hopefully Nelson is messing with us concerning the weight he’s competing at next season. If not, I’m really hoping Gabe has improved enough to beat him. This is where the xtra two months of wrestling last season could have helped GA get over the hump and ready to dominate this upcoming year.
My first reaction was that Nelson must be messing with us but after watching the interview I came away thinking he sincerely wants to go 174 and let the best man win. I would guess if PK or Gabe win the spot, he would go to 184 and try to win that spot over Ferrari and Riggins.

• Sad
Reactions: vhsalum
True or complete sarcasm? I can see it both ways depending on the time of day
100% true. He was right across the road on the sidewalk from where I work. Lots of traffic there so he had all the attention he wanted. Looked like a complete clown wearing only his tight spandex shorts and gold necklace while running, doing pushups, and what I assume was his attempt at shadow boxing. Cats freaking weird.

100% true. He was right across the road on the sidewalk from where I work. Lots of traffic there so he had all the attention he wanted. Looked like a complete clown wearing only his tight spandex shorts and gold necklace while running, doing pushups, and what I assume was his attempt at shadow boxing. Cats freaking weird.
Surprised he’s still in Iowa city. Maybe still wants on the team, or nowhere else to go

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT