ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Roster

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Sebolt kids that have been overworked since third grade.

ALL have had injuries (from overtraining).
Come on—that Sebolt combination duck under/slideby works great in college, right? In defense of Sebolt, I think all clubs have kids who overwork their bodies. He didn’t make them travel 4 nights a week.

I don't know much about this subject but I do think you should stop pretending Sebolt didn't produce an NCAA finalist last season.
A friend from my high school years has a son that is in Sebolt's club currently. He said his son loves it there. He laughed when I asked if Sebolt over trains his kids. I guess it's all a matter of perspective

A friend from my high school years has a son that is in Sebolt's club currently. He said his son loves it there. He laughed when I asked if Sebolt over trains his kids. I guess it's all a matter of perspective
Some people say Bassett and his 5am workouts aren't a good thing. But Bo believes that's what made him who he is today. It's all a mentality. It's wrestling kids get hurt. When a kid who didn't train "hard" gets hurt nobody says a word. When a kid gets hurt who trained at a club people say train "hard" then that's the reason. Do whatever works for you and don't give a F**K what others say.

Someone correct me if Im wrong here, but is it going to look like this:
125: Petersen
133: Ayala
141: Block
149: Parco
157: Teemer
165: Caliendo
174: Arnold
184: Brands
197: Buchanan
HWT: Kueter
It's going to look very much like you posted except for one miss. Angelo at 84. Brands may try Arnold but won't get him in the lineup there either.

Reactions: Retro Hawk
It's going to look very much like you posted except for one miss. Angelo at 84. Brands may try Arnold but won't get him in the lineup there either.
So you are saying Brands at 74 and Angelo at 84?

Last edited:
So you are saying Brands at 74 and Angelo at 84?
I think Ferrari and Arnold are better than Brands which is saying a lot. All are defensive wrestlers, Brands has a lot of horsepower but so do these young men. Ferrari beats him with counter moves and Arnold beats him with his explosiveness in the 3rd period. Who knows, maybe Angelo decides a red shirt is good and he did say he would do what TnT decide is best.

Dan Gable overtrained and all of his Iowa & Olympic teams were overworked.

It sure didn’t work out very well did it?
Well, here we are…. That was a different time when hard work was mostly what it took to succeed. But those days are over, eh?

Dan Gable overtrained and all of his Iowa & Olympic teams were overworked.

It sure didn’t work out very well did it?

You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine.

There’s a difference between training extremely hard when you are 19 years old and training year round extremely hard when you are 9 years old.

I’ve witnessed Sebolt practice with kids, I’m not a fan and never will be.

He ain’t much different than his dad.

Reactions: vhsalum
I think the issue is that kids are coming into college with a lot more miles on their wrestling odometer compared to Gable's day if only because there is a lot more opportunity and specialization. Not only are these kids doing it all around, they are doing it much more. For example, if you look at the total wins record for Iowa high school, all of the wrestlers have 190 plus matches and only one or two of them started their career in the 90s but ended up finishing in the early 2000s. The rest are 2010s and on. Nobody is on there from the 80s. Some of these kids have 225 matches.

Barry Davis was a 3 timer and wrestled a total of 109 matches in h.s. In college, he wrestled 170+. Not that he's the rule...just an example. Now it seems the inverse is true. Also, the style has changed...more scrambling=more injuries.

Iowa has changed the way it trains. Maybe someone like @Multi-Hawk can explain it better but each guy has a training plan which includes dietary needs tailored to them based on their physiology, work/rest cycle etc. It's not just wrestling until there is blood.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that kids are coming into college with a lot more miles on their wrestling odometer compared to Gable's day if only because there is a lot more opportunity and specialization. Not only are these kids doing it all around, they are doing it much more. For example, if you look at the total wins record, all of the wrestlers have 190 plus matches and only one or two of them started their career in the 90s but ended up finishing in the early 2000s. The rest are 2010s and on. Nobody is on there from the 80s. Some of these kids have 225 matches.

Barry Davis was a 3 timer and wrestled a total of 109 matches in h.s. In college, he wrestled 170+. Not that he's the rule...just an example. Now it seems the inverse is true. Also, the style has changed...more scrambling=more injuries.

Iowa has changed the way it trains. Maybe someone like @Multi-Hawk can explain it better but each guy has a training plan which includes dietary needs tailored to them based on their physiology, work/rest cycle etc. It's not just wrestling until there is blood.
I dont think this is accurate. I have been told over and over again that TnT train their wrestlers so hard that it directly causes injuries during matches and ruins their careers. One time they trained their guy so hard it caused him to tear his ACL while he was in high school even

I think the issue is that kids are coming into college with a lot more miles on their wrestling odometer compared to Gable's day if only because there is a lot more opportunity and specialization. Not only are these kids doing it all around, they are doing it much more. For example, if you look at the total wins record for Iowa high school, all of the wrestlers have 190 plus matches and only one or two of them started their career in the 90s but ended up finishing in the early 2000s. The rest are 2010s and on. Nobody is on there from the 80s. Some of these kids have 225 matches.

You are spot on. Our bodies are just like a car… you only get so many miles. Guys didn’t specialize at the age of six, wrestling year-round in Gable’s era of wrestling or coaching.

Reactions: Spoons and el dub
Think he’s referring to Inthecircle’s response to HawkMachine.
Correct. Acuhawk is also correct. I went round and round with Hawkeye Mass during the Spencer Lee/Ayala drama at Soldier Salute. I’ve had him on ignore ever since. This is my interpretation, I can’t speak for Acuhawk.

Methods have certainly changed, for the better. I’ve been to football coaching clinics in the past and the downside to one sport specialization is the constant wear and tear on the same joints and muscles. Back when Davis wrestled athletes were more likely to be in multiple sports, prior to college, typically leading to fewer injuries. I do appreciate the more holistic training regimen and the way weight cutting is managed.

I am not a fan of all the scrambling, it’s boring and leads to so many reviews. The bad thing about reviews is the extra blows guys get. If freestyle rules were in place wrestlers would be back to their feet much sooner. Push out points might eliminate scrambling as well. How would leg laces be called, Probably PD?

Reactions: acuhawk and el dub
Yes, I'm very interested to see if there will be increased performance/strength from this.

Is Ybarra really going to be out 125? Just never been impressed with him on college level. Probably a great room guy but not a starter.

Is Ybarra really going to be out 125? Just never been impressed with him on college level. Probably a great room guy but not a starter.
Shouldn't Cruz be higher on the depth chart than Ybarra? Cruz was a much more heralded recruit, although he was 113/120 in high school, and I think size/strength was his sticking point for NCAA wrestling. He's had a couple years to workout and grow into 125, so he should be better, I guess.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT