ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Game of Thrones Season 8 thread***

I wonder how much time passed from Jon killing Dany to the meeting at Dragon's Pit? I thought there was an implication of some fighting in between that time. I'm okay with the ending. It could have been better, but, all things have to end.

Probably about an episode 7 and 8 worth of time.

Did we even see the Dothraki after Dany was killed? Like my comment about the Unsullied loading up and going to Naath, what if they all didn't want to go? What if some of them were kinda mad about Dany being killed?
I know Missandei and Greyworm wanted to go to Naath, but does that mean they all follow Greyworm? And, did anyone tell the people of Naath, or ask their permission to show up? Who is going to accept all the Dothraki refugees? I assume the all went back to Esteros.

I'm pretty sure Naath is the island in the books with the toxic butterfly that kills outsiders. So Greyworm and Co. won't be loving Naath a whole lot.

That scene was truly terrible. If it was part of a blooper reel that the cast threw together as a prank and put on YouTube, it would have been legendary funny. Including it into the show was terrible.
Apart from that abomination, I have a couple questions. First, why do they still need the Night's Watch? The Wildlings are allies. The White Walkers are all gone. And, most significantly, the wall is in a different kingdom now. And for God's sake, the damn thing is melting anyway. Is King's Landing going to keep sending rapists and murderers to man a wall that won't be there? Eventually, Sansa will have had enough of being King's Landing's toilet.
Second, why bother keeping your promise to the Unsullied? As soon as they are over the horizon on their way to Naath, Bran could disband the Night's Watch and release all members from their vows.
I realize as a plot device this gets us the Jon-Ghost-Tormund reunion the fans want, but it doesn't really make any sense.
I suppose it will depend on what the cast wants to do but it was all being set up to come back 5-10 years down the road. Even Dany.

It was a bad season that just did not flow like the 7 prior. The surprises were very few, and mostly stupid. Best part of whole season was melting the throne. He should of just killed everyone else.

The season was NOT well written as you say. It fell off last season and was for worse this one.
The only hope is that they have good spin offs or continuation stories. They certainly did a good job of setting them up!

Reactions: noleclone2
The season was NOT well written as you say. It fell off last season and was for worse this one.
The only hope is that they have good spin offs or continuation stories. They certainly did a good job of setting them up!
Our only hope is George writes more material that they can adapt. Once they had to write on their own, things started to not make sense.

I'm pretty sure Naath is the island in the books with the toxic butterfly that kills outsiders. So Greyworm and Co. won't be loving Naath a whole lot.

I was just going to post this. Yet another blunder from the show's writers.

"A large species of butterfly on Naath is a carrier for a horrific disease that makes the flesh literally slough off of a man's bones, but the Naathi themselves are immune to it. For centuries, would-be foreign invaders would end up succumbing to the "butterfly fever", and the Naathi say none maintained a presence on the island for more than a single year."

Good luck, Grey Worm!

I was just going to post this. Yet another blunder from the show's writers.

"A large species of butterfly on Naath is a carrier for a horrific disease that makes the flesh literally slough off of a man's bones, but the Naathi themselves are immune to it. For centuries, would-be foreign invaders would end up succumbing to the "butterfly fever", and the Naathi say none maintained a presence on the island for more than a single year."

Good luck, Grey Worm!
The poison butterflies are in the book, but were never mentioned in the show. Kind of like how Maggy the Frog's prophecy in the book included the Valonqar, but the show didn't mention it. Mr. Too-Big-For-His-Britches Grey Worm will be fine on Naath.
The last season was 95% pandering and 5% logical story writing. I think George RR Martin gave D & D some very broad descriptions of where he intends to take the last two books, and they filled in the rest with fan service.

Reactions: h-hawk and GlenHawk
First the coffee, now a bottle of water.
It was all of them. The writers, producers and even actors. The acting was honestly flat and not really delivering in many cases, perhaps out of depression of what they had to act out. So not getting their crap out of shots is not surprising.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in business or in life in is losing momentum. I honestly think the extra long break was worse than the shorter season. Especially on the heals of a shortened season 7. They all lost their way.

The poison butterflies are in the book, but were never mentioned in the show. Kind of like how Maggy the Frog's prophecy in the book included the Valonqar, but the show didn't mention it. Mr. Too-Big-For-His-Britches Grey Worm will be fine on Naath.
The last season was 95% pandering and 5% logical story writing. I think George RR Martin gave D & D some very broad descriptions of where he intends to take the last two books, and they filled in the rest with fan service.

Davos did mention the butterflies when speaking with Missandei about Naath this season, but you're right in that he never mentioned anything about the poisonous ones specifically.

It's still just lazy writing.

Reactions: noleclone2
I haven’t done any research, but are the movies I’ve heard about a continuation of this story or are they set in a different era? Feels like they left shit wide open.

wqj5foe47fz21.jpg

It's a fictional TV show, not a documentary.

I mean, we could apply your standards to all epic fantasy stories I suppose:

Why wouldn't the orcs form a union due to horrible working conditions in the mines of Mordor?

If Superman could reverse the spin of the world to turn back time itself, why wouldn't he just do that every time a villain commits a world-threatening crime and kill him as a young child?

Why wouldn't the developers of the second Death Star bother to fix the pesky "one well-aimed munition from a relatively small fighter craft can blow up the whole goddamn thing" weakness?
It's the internet, you freaking fascist. It's okay to ask questions.

Reactions: torbee
Often times when I mow the lawn I have deep thoughts. Tonight was no different.
Did anyone see Jon stab Dany? It didn't appear so. I assume some Dothraki or Unsullied guard would have immediately ran up from the shadows and killed Jon. Did Jon just walk out and tell someone he killed Dany?
Dumb ass. Why wouldn't he just walk out and say, "The Queen announced an end to hereditary monarch, she told Drogon to melt down the symbol of oppression that the Iron Throne is, and then she got on Drogon and said she was going over to Essos to check on things there for a few days"...

Often times when I mow the lawn I have deep thoughts. Tonight was no different.
Did anyone see Jon stab Dany? It didn't appear so. I assume some Dothraki or Unsullied guard would have immediately ran up from the shadows and killed Jon. Did Jon just walk out and tell someone he killed Dany?
Dumb ass. Why wouldn't he just walk out and say, "The Queen announced an end to hereditary monarch, she told Drogon to melt down the symbol of oppression that the Iron Throne is, and then she got on Drogon and said she was going over to Essos to check on things there for a few days"...
This would have been entirely antithetical to Jon's character.

Reactions: pezhawk

Maybe this is why they just vanished after Danaery's Hitler speech. D&D realized they painted themselves into yet another corner. Still can't figure out how Danny's army of Unsullied and Dothraki grew to a similar number to the number she brought to Westeros. I mean she still had pretty much the same army even after the battles of the Long Night, getting ambushed by Euron and the battle for Kings Landing?

Maybe this is why they just vanished after Danaery's Hitler speech. D&D realized they painted themselves into yet another corner. Still can't figure out how Danny's army of Unsullied and Dothraki grew to a similar number to the number she brought to Westeros. I mean she still had pretty much the same army even after the battles of the Long Night, getting ambushed by Euron and the battle for Kings Landing?

From what I recall from the earlier seasons, those Dothraki like to procreate

tumblr_mw7fe2wxNa1r00543o3_250.gif

Well, stabbing the Queen seems a little out of character, too.
Not really if you look at his track-record. He knew it was right, did it, and thanks to a short season from db double d's we didn't see him own up to it...because they were over it, and Star Wars is waiting.

"There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books," Martin wrote. "So if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...new-books-will-be-different-from-show-finale/

Reactions: B_U_C_K_Y
I have to give tulley props he tried to take the throne for himself.
That was embarrassingly bad. With them giggling and him clumsily hitting his sword like a 3 stooges skit during what was supposed to be one of the pivotal scenes in got history really pissed me off. It went downhill real fast after Jon killed Dany.

Reactions: torbee
At least they didn't go with Samwell's idea and had the first election in history. Because I thought that was really where they were going.

Oh...and I think somewhere in this thread, I called Brann as King a while ago. Maybe not. But I know I mentioned it a few times to others. Didn't think so after Episode 3 though.

Why was Arya even on the stage with them? Hell even Davos and Brienne? We get that they were important, but they're not lords paramount. They were put up there as cheesy fan service.
They could've kept all of the principles, I just think they should've had a larger group and clearer delineation of the factions. They should've had the sigils displayed more prominently. Each group gets one vote the Starks shouldn't get 3 or whatever they got. I have to think Dorne and the iron islands would plead for independence.
Additionally they should've given Greyworm and Jon more agency. I think there are ways to explain why he didn't execute Jon and Tyrion. I can imagine that the unsullied and dothraki are in a pretty bad situation without Dany and Drogon and that they aren't really interested in trying to rule King's Landing and may want to leave. I can imagine Jon saying he deserves execution and perhaps somebody pointing out that the people of Westeros won't except it so they need another solution and proposing exhile to the North in exchange for allowing the invading army to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80 and torbee
Every episode ranked by Sarah Hughes of The Guardian. It's a long read, but, if you are in this thread to begin with you don't fear spending some time on reading.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/21/every-game-of-thrones-episode-ranked

Meh. I think she is intentionally trying to be controversial by having 66% of Season 8's episodes in the top 25. That is ridiculous.

Here is a good list using rotten tomatoes scores:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/caseyrackham/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-rankings-rotten-tomatoes

This fan ratings on IMDB is brutal!!!!:

display

Last edited:
Meh. I think she is intentionally trying to be controversial by having 66% of Season 8's episodes in the top 25. That is ridiculous.

Here is a good list using rotten tomatoes scores:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/caseyrackham/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-rankings-rotten-tomatoes

This fan ratings on IMDB is brutal!!!!:

display
What is interesting is that the scores for many episodes not backed by original source material are better than those backed by source material. Season 6 had two 9.9s whiles there were only two 9.9s in the first five seasons combined. Season 7 has the second highest average score with 9.2, just behind season 4 with 9.33. Then it went to hell in a hand basket in season 8.

What is interesting is that the scores for many episodes not backed by original source material are better than those backed by source material. Season 6 had two 9.9s whiles there were only two 9.9s in the first five seasons combined. Season 7 has the second highest average score with 9.2, just behind season 4 with 9.33. Then it went to hell in a hand basket in season 8.

It seems like they went out of their way to not give the audience ANYTHING it was hoping for.

Varys just stands there and burns and dies.

The Hound and Mountain resolution? Meh

Jamie just decides to go rogue at the end and goes back to help the most evil person in earth.

How Cersei died? Horrible. I mean...she actually got what she wanted at the end.

Arya kills virtually no one after Episode 3.

Bronn of the Blackwater just magically reappears at the end acting silly.

John Snow gets banned after doing what everyone wanted. I mean, the only person who wanted him punished was Greyworm and he left for Naath.

The Dragon leaves.

Tyrion simply makes a lateral move to Hand of the King...again.

They should have taken their time and given each side story their own episode and used the last two episodes for the War with the Dead and killing Cersei. They were really onto something with Hound and Arya riding together again and Cersei cutting the girl's head off. There could have been some real justice handed out.

Reactions: Lone Clone
It seems like they went out of their way to not give the audience ANYTHING it was hoping for.
to play devil's advocate:

Varys just stands there and burns and dies. Yes, after trying to poison Dany and failing. He was caught and there was no way around his execution.

The Hound and Mountain resolution? Meh I thought that was a pretty cool scene

Jamie just decides to go rogue at the end and goes back to help the most evil person in earth. After knowing humanity was safe, he had to follow his heart.

How Cersei died? Horrible. I mean...she actually got what she wanted at the end. She wanted to live and save her baby so she did not get what she wanted.

Arya kills virtually no one after Episode 3. People were complaining she became a killing goddess after training with a stick in the dark and now people complain she didn't kill enough.

Bronn of the Blackwater just magically reappears at the end acting silly. Agreed.

John Snow gets banned after doing what everyone wanted. I mean, the only person who wanted him punished was Greyworm and he left for Naath. With the new order, his lineage is irrelevant and perhaps a threat to the people wanting to fall back to the old way of doing things. Out of sight out of mind.

The Dragon leaves. There was nothing there for Drogon anymore.

Tyrion simply makes a lateral move to Hand of the King...again. Not sure why that is a bad thing.

I wanted him to have a little something more up his sleeve. He should have been the last man standing, IMO. He always knew what people were doing before they knew it. Remember when Dumbledore clapped his hands and and Fawkes helped him escape arrest? I was thinking something dramatic like that. But he just stood there, like all of the other unimportant characters and fried. I don't know. Seems like they could have done a little more with that.

Rewatched the final episode last night. Wasn't going to but it was on so gave it a shot. The first half of the episode was really good. Once the scene with Jon killing Dany and Drogon torching the Iron Throne and leaving with Dany's body was over the show fell off a cliff. It's almost like it was two different shows and the people who did the second half were Jr. High film students. Starting with the scene in the pits everything just got laughably ridiculous and made no sense.

My biggest issue with the show was the treatment of Jon Snow. I'm fine with where his character ended up, I'm not fine with how he got there. So while they are having this stupid meeting, at least Tyrion told Grey Worm twice that they had no say in Jon Snow's fate and all GW could say is "shut up, you are our prisoner". Okay, all of Westeros nobles are there and nobody brings up the fact that Jon Snow is actually Targ/Stark and the rightful heir to the throne? He killed a woman who burned KL to the ground and was actually a usurper since he has a better claim to the throne? None of this comes up? They talk about letting the King (Bran) decide his fate, Jon is the King you morons! You don't think that when the Iron Islands and Dorne learn the entire story, that Jon is the true heir, bent the knee not knowing he was the true heir, and did so in order to defeat the NK, and then killed Dany for her destruction of KL and realizing she was unfit to rule as she planned on bringing more death and destruction to Westeros, you think that after learning all that they would still want him punished? No way. They would have lined up behind him. The entire story surrounding Jon's fate was just screwed up, and it didn't help that Jon just sat there and didn't assert his claim, though it would have been out of his character to do so.

A better conclusion at that meeting would have been for the Westerosi to tell Grey Worm that he is holding the rightful heir to the throne prisoner and that there will be war if he is not released. Once Jon is released and given the throne he abdicates it and HE comes up with solution of the nobles choosing a leader as that is what Dany wanted, to break the wheel and a new way of doing things. Jon then chooses to go north of the wall and live with the Freefolk so he is no longer a point of controversy and that he feels he doesn't deserve to rule after all that has happened. It should have been his choice to turn it down, and it would have been a nod to that other Targ earlier in the show who chose the Nights Watch over the throne.

IMO, they completely bungled Jon Snow's story, he was THE GUY, the focal point of the story and in the end he was idiot Grey Worm's prisoner and his family threw him under the bus, again.

Rewatched the final episode last night. Wasn't going to but it was on so gave it a shot. The first half of the episode was really good. Once the scene with Jon killing Dany and Drogon torching the Iron Throne and leaving with Dany's body was over the show fell off a cliff. It's almost like it was two different shows and the people who did the second half were Jr. High film students. Starting with the scene in the pits everything just got laughably ridiculous and made no sense.

My biggest issue with the show was the treatment of Jon Snow. I'm fine with where his character ended up, I'm not fine with how he got there. So while they are having this stupid meeting, at least Tyrion told Grey Worm twice that they had no say in Jon Snow's fate and all GW could say is "shut up, you are our prisoner". Okay, all of Westeros nobles are there and nobody brings up the fact that Jon Snow is actually Targ/Stark and the rightful heir to the throne? He killed a woman who burned KL to the ground and was actually a usurper since he has a better claim to the throne? None of this comes up? They talk about letting the King (Bran) decide his fate, Jon is the King you morons! You don't think that when the Iron Islands and Dorne learn the entire story, that Jon is the true heir, bent the knee not knowing he was the true heir, and did so in order to defeat the NK, and then killed Dany for her destruction of KL and realizing she was unfit to rule as she planned on bringing more death and destruction to Westeros, you think that after learning all that they would still want him punished? No way. They would have lined up behind him. The entire story surrounding Jon's fate was just screwed up, and it didn't help that Jon just sat there and didn't assert his claim, though it would have been out of his character to do so.

A better conclusion at that meeting would have been for the Westerosi to tell Grey Worm that he is holding the rightful heir to the throne prisoner and that there will be war if he is not released. Once Jon is released and given the throne he abdicates it and HE comes up with solution of the nobles choosing a leader as that is what Dany wanted, to break the wheel and a new way of doing things. Jon then chooses to go north of the wall and live with the Freefolk so he is no longer a point of controversy and that he feels he doesn't deserve to rule after all that has happened. It should have been his choice to turn it down, and it would have been a nod to that other Targ earlier in the show who chose the Nights Watch over the throne.

IMO, they completely bungled Jon Snow's story, he was THE GUY, the focal point of the story and in the end he was idiot Grey Worm's prisoner and his family threw him under the bus, again.

This man gets it. Thank you for taking the time to post it all. I feel exactly the same. Jon Snow is the reason this story happened. He is literally Ice and Fire. And they treated his lineage as a plot point to push Dany over to the Mad Queen.

I was actually kind of waiting for this.

Keep in mind, without the luxury of Martin's POV chapters, we have NO IDEA what Bran's/3ER's motivation is nor did we ever hear what the Night King's true motivation was.

I also found it interesting that the Small Council meeting was totally BAU - meaning there could be some subtext that despite all the bloodshed, fire and fury, all that has happened is that the "game" has been reset at square 1.......

In the book, the Night King is a legend and doesn't even exist in it's show form

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT