ADVERTISEMENT

********Official Illinois vs. Iowa Game Thread********

I think calling him "wide open" is an exaggeration. He had a defender on him with his hand up. Still probably would've had a better chance of going in than Gesell's shot though.

4 years into college career he should have some understanding of who has the hot hand and enough self-awareness to know it's not him. Would be interesting in seeing Gessel's career stats for last four minutes of of each half versus his career game stats.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
LIke Fran on personal level, but you can't call losing to Illini anything but a choke...just like losing to Penn State last year. Recruit player's with balls and some offensive game.

But can we?
This is like the Penn St. game except we haven't had a real lead. At some point the "these guys are playing out of their mind" theory has to be replaced with the "Iowa has not defense"
The defensive scheme is all on Fran. How many times do I have to say it, Fran can NOT coach and the last four minutes of the game are the most awful. Consider yourself warned in about 30-40 minutes if we are not up by 10 points then
Absolutely agree. We have some of the worst interior defense in the conference and it seems like people have figured out that if they sprint back defensively Iowa will either force an early jumper or dribble to the end of the clock and take a late jumper. No inside scoring aside from Uthoff cuts.

I don't recall a worse half for Clemmons in his career. My gawd he was awful. Can anyone confirm his stats? My guess is 0-6 and 4 turnovers

4 years into college career he should have some understanding of who has the hot hand and enough self-awareness to know it's not him. Would be interesting in seeing Gessel's career stats for last four minutes of of each half versus his career game stats.

Yep, we know his FT shooting late in games is not good.

The defensive scheme is all on Fran. How many times do I have to say it, Fran can NOT coach and the last four minutes of the game are the most awful. Consider yourself warned in about 30-40 minutes if we are not up by 10 points then
you are wrong fran can coach and coach well. you are right just not the last 4 minutes. And his feel for who is and who isn't playing well might be one of the worst in major college sports.

I agree with you

I think calling him "wide open" is an exaggeration. He had a defender on him with his hand up. Still probably would've had a better chance of going in than Gesell's shot though.

As hot as Pete is, that option was a no brainer. Actually, Pete could be 0-15, with all 5 defenders hanging on him and a better option shooting then Mike Gesell......ever.

HIs career stats are 8.1 ppg with mediocre shooting percentages from field, 3pt line, FT line. Not like Gesell excels shooting the ball. Why have him take the last shot.

HIs career stats are 8.1 ppg with mediocre shooting percentages from field, 3pt line, FT line. Not like Gesell excels shooting the ball. Why have him take the last shot.

Mediocre is kind, he'll have a future in masonry with how big of a bricklayer he is.

30/35 pts by Uthoff/Jok. Woody 1/2 and Maverick Morgan 4/5. I think I'd take Maverick Morgan line

Jok was 10 feet away wide open in 3pt territory waiting for the pass.
Must have seen something I didn't see. Iowa runs awful offense at the end of the half and game. It is a team effort, not just Mike. Mike often gets in a position where there is contact, but officials won't give the call at the end of a half. Fran really does need to figure out something new.

I think if we keep rebounding and start taking care of the ball we'll be just fine. Grizzly with some nice hussle, a nice play by Wags and Uhl to generate turnovers.

Bummer to feel relieved we are only down to the mighty Illini by two at half. Boy have my expectations changed in 3 weeks.

So Illannoy isn't going to miss any 3 pointers this half.

Doesn't matter if/how we win today. Jok/U will only combine for 30 tomorrow and Purdont blows us out.

jesus christ play anyone other than sapp or woody. I love sapp but he and woody are not giving us anything right now. Even if you do pull this game out 4 games 4 days......

If the Illini keep hitting at this rate, it won't matter how many point Jok scores.

Put Williams in to contest their threes and Wagner because he's athletic enough to play perimeter defense.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
More of the same half-ass help D. Iowa loves to get stuck in between actually helping and staying with the shooter. Just face guard the shooters. No help.

Please stop playing zone and stop hedging the pick 30ft from the hoop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT