ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa @ Wisconsin game thread*****

objective results say Fran is not better in BTT or B1G wins. The fact that Fran has never made a sweet16 is pertinent----he doesn't play defense and teams that don't play defense do not make sweet 16s. 36 years is a long time.

Alford started after a missed year of recruiting--the cupboard was mostly bare. . Fran started with two future All B1G players to be on the roster.---Devny marble and Gatens. ISU coach just turned around a team with worse record than what FRan inherited. It isn't an impossible job to follow a lickliter.

Alford is a chitty coach. Fran is nothing special because he refuses to address his own shortcomings. He hasn't figured out that defense is important. He plays his favorites, two of them happen to be his kids

Fran is not going anywhere, but without any pressure, he runs the program like he is reliving his own B-ball college career through his two boys
Take a deep breath after that and Fran > Alford

Wisky played far and away the better game, all-around. Iowa took at least two or three dozen absolutely awful shots, couldn't rebound and was definitely out-coached. Agree Connor shouldn't play. We were predicted to lose, and did- looking awful in the process.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Wisky played far and away the better game, all-around. Iowa took at least two or three dozen absolutely awful shots, couldn't rebound and was definitely out-coached. Agree Connor shouldn't play. We were predicted to lose, and did- looking awful in the process.
Neat

Anyone else watch Josh O's 3 point play a few times? The badger player's head snapped back with such gusto that I had to watch it again. And again. A small measure of revenge and my favorite play of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: unoHawkeye
Tom Davis syndrome possibly. I was a staunch defender of him and look at what that firing did for us. Nothing, set us back decades. Fran is the equivalent of Dr Tom now..
His results aren't even Dr. Tom though... they've had some fun teams and gotten high in the rankings to only just fall apart consistently and do absolutely nothing in the tournament. I really don't think Alford set the Hawks back decades... he definitely got the ball rolling at the end of his tenure and then Lickliter happened. I like Fran, I think he pulled Iowa out of a very shitty position, but he's hit his ceiling.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
His results aren't even Dr. Tom though... they've had some fun teams and gotten high in the rankings to only just fall apart consistently and do absolutely nothing in the tournament. I really don't think Alford set the Hawks back decades... he definitely got the ball rolling at the end of his tenure and then Lickliter happened. I like Fran, I think he pulled Iowa out of a very shitty position, but he's hit his ceiling.
Dr Tom achieved his success with Ravlings players besides his 1999 sweet 16 farewell. This was supposed to be a rebuild year we lost 4 starters for ****s fakes. Feckless Idiots here.

• Haha
Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
Dr Tom achieved his success with Ravlings players besides his 1999 sweet 16 farewell. This was supposed to be a rebuild year we lost 4 starters for ****s fakes. Feckless Idiots here.

It's been 12 years though man and he hasn't won anything. What did he do with those 4 starters? Not win the Big10 and get embarrassed in the 2nd round of the tourney. This is his program, there's no excuses.. the man has not managed to win anything noteworthy in that period of time. It's not like he's 2 years in and doesn't have his recruits... this is the program he has built and it has been the definition of average.

Again.. lifelong Cincinnati Bengals fan... the guy is Marvin Lewis... just good enough to not get fired.

It's been 12 years though man and he hasn't won anything. What did he do with those 4 starters? Not win the Big10 and get embarrassed in the 2nd round of the tourney. This is his program, there's no excuses.. the man has not managed to win anything noteworthy in that period of time. It's not like he's 2 years in and doesn't have his recruits... this is the program he has built and it has been the definition of average.

Again.. lifelong Cincinnati Bengals fan... the guy is Marvin Lewis... just good enough to not get fired.
Perhaps he has this season and next in my book.

Perhaps he has this season and next in my book.
WAT.jpg

Glad I went to bed at half time. I feel very refreshed this morning. With Fran coaching there’s no reason to watch any more games and I certainly understand why nobody goes to the games.

Glad I went to bed at half time. I feel very refreshed this morning. With Fran coaching there’s no reason to watch any more games and I certainly understand why nobody goes to the games.
Wish I would have done the same. Now I’m just tired physically and tired of this basketball team

Alford was sent packing for mediocre results

Alford vs Fran:

Alford win 1 or 2 B1G ten tourney tites and finished 2nd once.....Fran has never made the finals in 11 years.
Alford had a sweet16 at SW Missouri state, Fran has zero sweet16s in his 36 year career
Fran is now below 0.500 in B1G play.... I believe Alford had a same or better B1G record, certainly he did
after you throw in BTT results.

Fran is okay. He's needs to embrace defense. He has to want to improve. I don't see that side of him.
I'd say the Big Ten is far tougher, from top to bottom, than it was when Alford was at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT