ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Drake was around 145 this time last year as well and made the cut. He's earned the right to compete at whatever weight he's the most healthy at. I do worry about the strength factor up at 133 but his motor should be revved up not having to pull so much weight this season.

Reactions: sdvike
Whenever someone says, so and so isnt going to be 125 again, I just laugh. We heard every year how Matt McD wasnt going to be 125, but yet somehow someway he made 125 EVERY year and wrestled there his entire career.

I swear, some of you are just blind to reality and deductive reasoning. Jesuroga was class of 2023 and didn’t really let anyone know for sure his plans until very late in that recruiting cycle.

At that time Iowa had Lee still going and Ayala waiting in the wings with all indications he was going to be the heir apparent at 125 for the time being. Still, Iowa went and grabbed Cruz, who was still about the best available in the transfer portal around that weight and they locked in arguably the best recruit at the weight from the class of 2025.

WTF more were they supposed to have done? More importantly, how? Mind you, by the time they truly knew what the situation was with Jesuroga, it’s not like Ayala didn’t go 125 the next season, nor were there a ton of great little guys sitting readily available from the 2024 class….

I've been critical of the Brands recent work, but I would cosign this. I don't think this particular issue was really foreseeable. Now the scrambling at the middle weights right now....

Buchanan would be a huge get.
Whenever someone says, so and so isnt going to be 125 again, I just laugh. We heard every year how Matt McD wasnt going to be 125, but yet somehow someway he made 125 EVERY year and wrestled there his entire career.
Difference was - McD wanted to stay at 125. He never really wavered from it. And Ramos was at 133

I've been critical of the Brands recent work, but I would cosign this. I don't think this particular issue was really foreseeable. Now the scrambling at the middle weights right now....

Yup. Can't really fault Brands here. I thought ayala was a career 125. And Jesuroga a 133. He was cutting his brains out to make 120.

This is a case of @smalls103 trying to sabotage Iowa just like Mineo does when Iowa is close to getting a transfer. Another reason why any Iowa fan who gives him money is a moron.
It's weird, either Iowa is the only program out there using $$$ to land transfers, or there's some other reason these dweebs only mention dollar figures when reporting on Iowa.

I swear, some of you are just blind to reality and deductive reasoning. Jesuroga was class of 2023 and didn’t really let anyone know for sure his plans until very late in that recruiting cycle.

At that time Iowa had Lee still going and Ayala waiting in the wings with all indications he was going to be the heir apparent at 125 for the time being. Still, Iowa went and grabbed Cruz, who was still about the best available in the transfer portal around that weight and they locked in arguably the best recruit at the weight from the class of 2025.

WTF more were they supposed to have done? More importantly, how? Mind you, by the time they truly knew what the situation was with Jesuroga, it’s not like Ayala didn’t go 125 the next season, nor were there a ton of great little guys sitting readily available from the 2024 class….
No, just no.

Willie can keep dropping numbers, right or wrong this is what college athletics has become.

Let the kids know, thanks for the free advertising!

What a ridiculous post. Jesuroga hung it up in November 2022. Iowa is the #1 lightweight room in the country with 1.5 years to remedy and the best they were able to do was Cruz. That would have always been a fail but in the age of NIL and the portal this is an epic one.

Accusing others of being blind and insulting their reasoning skills while making a post like that is pure comedy.

Reactions: BGon4ND
If this is true, Adam Fellers is going to have a cow. He’s been adamant about going hard building up the RTC rather than going for expensive rentals.

Oh no! Not Adam Fellers!!! Has anyone checked in with Brodie Ambrose and Jake Kerr???

(Not that there isn't sensibility to that opinion.)

Yup. Can't really fault Brands here. I thought ayala was a career 125. And Jesuroga a 133. He was cutting his brains out to make 120.
I totally agree with you.

Also, I love the people who think TnT should have just gone out and got another guy. Do they think these guys grow on trees? Do they think you just place an order like on Amazon and it shows up at your door? You have a small pool of potential candidates and they do not all work out. Some are busts and perform way below their hype. Also, they have ideas of their own as to what they want to do and where they want to do it.
That being said, does anyone know how Jesuroga is doing in the Seal program? Is life treating him well? Is he happy? Fulfilled? I would love to hear how things are going for him, if anyone knows.

What a ridiculous post. Jesuroga hung it up in November 2022. Iowa is the #1 lightweight room in the country with 1.5 years to remedy and the best they were able to do was Cruz. That would have always been a fail but in the age of NIL and the portal this is an epic one.

Accusing others of being blind and insulting their reasoning skills while making a post like that is pure comedy.
Says the guy saying there wasn't any realistic smoke in regards to Teemer or Buchanan. Your schtick gets old at times. Again, my key question was was who were they supposed to get, how and when? Please enlighten us, Oh Grand Master, on exactly who was available when they were actually certain Jesuroga was done and how exactly they were supposed to figure out a 125 need over 2 years later when Lee was there and Ayala was waiting to take over.

Instead of trying to just hurl insults, use facts. Instead of just saying, "We are Iowa, it should just magically happen!", actually give us a few reasonable answers as to how...

If this is true, Adam Fellers is going to have a cow. He’s been adamant about going hard building up the RTC rather than going for expensive rentals.

he’s right but i will say if you are going to throw a bag at parco then you might as well do it for teemer and buchanan too. i may not agree that it’s the best use of these funds but at least there will be a competitive team race now.

Is Iowa interested in improving their RTC? I feel like $1 million could help the HWC a lot more than buying 2 semester rentals for the college team.
That’s a great question. Something I’d like to know the answer to as well. Iowa has plenty of money if these rental offers are true. But I’m starting to wonder how many people want to go to Iowa.

No new RTC athletes, only one PFP recruit for 2024 and 2025. The HWC was supposed to be strong after the championship team graduated. Almost all of them have moved on, and the ones that stuck around didn’t qualify for the trials other than Lee obviously.

Reactions: BGon4ND and vhsalum
he’s right but i will say if you are going to throw a bag at parco then you might as well do it for teemer and buchanan too. i may not agree that it’s the best use of these funds but at least there will be a competitive team race now.
Competitive team race with who?

Reactions: BGon4ND
Have you ever worked in a business where employee compensation numbers are public information? Of course not genius.
I have for more than 35 years. Trust me, it only helps who pays the most and those trying and able to increase theirs. Sucks to be the one who pays less and can't manage an increase. All you end up doing is training their future employees. Kind of like the current NIL system. If Iowa can be that big dog, posting the numbers, if in fact true, will not hurt them. How they manage the discontent of their other wrestlers is another story.

Reactions: tiltman and vhsalum
I have for more than 35 years. Trust me, it only helps who pays the most and those trying and able to increase theirs. Sucks to be the one who pays less and can't manage an increase. All you end up doing is training their future employees. Kind of like the current NIL system. If Iowa can be that big dog, posting the numbers, if in fact true, will not hurt them. How they manage the discontent of their other wrestlers is another story.
Discontent of other wrestlers is the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT