ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

lotta questions in that psu lineup though. only four starters are back at the same weight.

Lilledahl True Frosh - agree that he is very good. I'd have him about the same. just sayin'. true frosh ya never know.
SVN's health
Kasak up two weights. idk that penciling him in at Top 5 is where I'd have him considering his 3rd place at 141 last year was totally unexpected. but maybe.
Haines up two weights or Facundo who has been solid but not spectacular
Star at new weight and one with Keck
Cochran unproven or True Frosh Mirasola

if Iowa gets their ducks in a row (i'm on the "Teemer-stays-at -ASU" side at this moment in time), they could be threatening.

Considering that Iowa wrestling had a $1.27M deficit in 2023 for the university, I'd say that all future spending needs to be through boosters. If they can pony up $4M a year, why not?

"The men’s basketball program collected more than $5 million in media rights and ended with a $4.33 million surplus. Wrestling and women’s basketball have local radio rights deals totaling $150,000, a key reason why those sports’ expenses were $4.4 million (women’s basketball) and $1.27 million (wrestling) over income."

Sounds like wrestling didn't get any revenue credit for the B1G money that came in.
You do realize the university doesn't pay nil, right?

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
You do realize the university doesn't pay nil, right?
You do realize my post didn't say they did. In fact, my post was only to point out that ZERO additional support will come out of the U of Iowa for scholarships, so everything that's done beyond the current university support is on boosters, whether it be new scholarships or NIL.

lotta questions in that psu lineup though. only four starters are back at the same weight.

Lilledahl True Frosh - agree that he is very good. I'd have him about the same. just sayin'. true frosh ya never know.
SVN's health
Kasak up two weights. idk that penciling him in at Top 5 is where I'd have him considering his 3rd place at 141 last year was totally unexpected. but maybe.

if Iowa gets their ducks in a row (i'm on the "Teemer-stays-at -ASU" side at this moment in time), they could be threatening.
Kasak was 3rd at 149.

SVN's health

PSU only had four starters back at the same weight last year as well, and had four new guys in the lineup, and we all know how that turned out so not sure we should let that keep us up at night. I guess Cael has a plan!

What have you heard lately about SVN's health?

You do realize my post didn't say they did. In fact, my post was only to point out that ZERO additional support will come out of the U of Iowa for scholarships, so everything that's done beyond the current university support is on boosters, whether it be new scholarships or NIL.
Theyll be ok. Between boosters and tv revenue they aren't gonna go hungry unlike a lot of average Joe's.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Look guys sounds like Buch is on board and Teemer is at least 50/50 maybe more like 70/30 on board but if this lineup can’t give psu all they want I would be shocked.
Cruz: ???
Ayala: Top 3
Block: Low AA-rd of 12
Parco: Top 3
Teemer: Top 3
Cali: Top 3
Arnold/PK: Top 5 or 6
Brands: Top 3
Buch: Top 3
Big Ben: AA
Top 3’s all have pretty damn good shots at finals and even winning it.
It would be such horrible irony if the hole in our line up to compete is 125.

If we can’t get guys in for the long haul, we need mercenaries to be competitive until we can get guys in for the long haul.
I don't understand why people don't see that NIL and transfer portal is college athletics and it is not about wrestling. Some understand, el dub, looks like you get it, but some fans are ignorant to the point of no common since. And I think just haters in general. Which, is bs in that we should ALL be for the betterment of the team.

First of all. We have long haul guys. Ayala, Block, Schiever, Siebrect, Ratche, Cruz, Caliendo, Brands, Kennedy, Keuter, Hill, Ferrari, Petersen, etc. All line up guys that have either been recruited or transferred in early on. And all are top tier guys. Some a match from AA, some a match from top of the podium. However, equal time for the program is invested in BOTH recruiting HS guys and their development, and also being aware of portal guys and making that a part of the process, AS ALL TEAMS CAN AND DO.

The top teams are working the portal no different then Iowa. And for the top teams, no roster spot is given. PSU had Facundo and Bearclough and brought in Messinbrink. They had Beard and brought in Max Dean. ISU had Paniro Johnson and brought in Chittum and Erchmendia. OSU had Number 1 recruit freshman Carrol and brought in a one year Nat Champ contender in Wyatt H.

So, we are doing the same thing as allowed and as other followed. And yet, our fans sit around and yap about lack of development in our guys?? You think Cael developed Messinbrink? He walks in and competes for a national title Day 1. These kids are coming in out of HS with hundreds of world level matches and are ready to compete Day 1. We have a former HAWK club director on FB complaining about our lack of development??? Are we blind? I'm sorry, but get your head out of your ass and get it into the era of todays college wrestling. Gable, my own idol, it was a different era, and you could take a guy in that era and have them be a Jesse Witmer and pull him in his final season and win a title. When has that happened now?? Any team.

PSU has built a program people want to be a part. So has OSU, OSU, Michigan, Cornell, hell, maybe even the bums in Ames. Iowa has built and continues to build on a great product/environment that kids want to be a part of. Our staff, our tradition, our NIL, our facilities. Our great Carver atmosphere. Hell that alone can be enough for a guy who has been wrestling in front of 2,000 fans and as he matures sees a chance to wrestle in Carver.

Either way, HATS OFF IOWA STAFF!! Keep bring them in! And don't worry about the guys bitching that bitch to bitch!

Look guys sounds like Buch is on board and Teemer is at least 50/50 maybe more like 70/30 on board but if this lineup can’t give psu all they want I would be shocked.
FFS please let us have Arnold in the lineup full time at his weight this year.

Doesn’t matter who we have at 141. Too much top talent returns

PSU only had four starters back at the same weight last year as well, and had four new guys in the lineup, and we all know how that turned out so not sure we should let that keep us up at night. I guess Cael has a plan!

What have you heard lately about SVN's health?
true. true. im not saying psu fans should be shaking in their boots. just that there are questions to be answered.

Reactions: el dub
I just want the best 10…and I want to be able to easily beat anyone not named PSU come NCAAs.
100%. I think GA is in there. I may be remembering wrong but way back in the day watching Iowa wrestling there was never the question of will the Steiners go today, will the Brands go today, will Joe go today, will Lou go today, will Rico go today, will Lincoln go today, etc etc etc. Seemed like every time you dialed up Iowa for one of its duals, it was the same lineup of studs, the best on the roster, every time unless there was a major injury or something. Nowadays it seems like we're lucky if we see that best, full-strength lineup more than one or two duals throughout the season. Maybe guys are getting injured at a higher rate today. Maybe I'm in fact remembering wrong. But it really sucks consistently seeing backups take the mat at one or more spots in nearly every dual.

If one year rentals that are not even NCAA champs are getting paid $500K then I might be for colleges dropping wrestling and the US going to club freestyle. That is hard to say but this is getting ridiculous. I am not sure I buy it either. That means if I have a team of 8 top placers then we are spending 4 million a year?
It would be interesting to know, outside the transfers, how much the returning guys are getting in NIL.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks are pushing $3-3 1/2M as a team.

Reactions: el dub
100%. I think GA is in there. I may be remembering wrong but way back in the day watching Iowa wrestling there was never the question of will the Steiners go today, will the Brands go today, will Joe go today, will Lou go today, will Rico go today, will Lincoln go today, etc etc etc. Seemed like every time you dialed up Iowa for one of its duals, it was the same lineup of studs, the best on the roster, every time unless there was a major injury or something. Nowadays it seems like we're lucky if we see that best, full-strength lineup more than one or two duals throughout the season. Maybe guys are getting injured at a higher rate today. Maybe I'm in fact remembering wrong. But it really sucks consistently seeing backups take the mat at one or more spots in nearly every dual.
Not disagreeing with you. But to be fair (and unlike vhsalum, I was there, lol), we had late-season wrestle-offs between Martin and Terry Brands (Brands wrestled a late Okie State dual), Martin and Zaputil the following year, and some split time between All-American Streicher and up-and-comer Terry Steiner before that dust was settled. But all in all you are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT