ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

A college program can't have multiple guys at a weight class scoring points, which your point total for AWA would have.
I know how tournament scoring works. You’re missing the point. 10 years ago what was Wisconsin prep wrestling? Next to nothing. Enter AWA. This year Wisconsin natives were second to Pennsylvania. The Askren’s are producing results. Next year they’ll have more with the Mirasola’s and Aiden Sinclair coming in.

I know how tournament scoring works. You’re missing the point. 10 years ago what was Wisconsin prep wrestling? Next to nothing. Enter AWA. This year Wisconsin natives were second to Pennsylvania. The Askren’s are producing results. Next year they’ll have more with the Mirasola’s and Aiden Sinclair coming in.
I would love to see AWA guys coming to Iowa. Definitely one of the top clubs in the country.
Just not a fan of the AWA scored more points than Iowa comparison.

Reactions: grapplefann
I would love to see AWA guys coming to Iowa. Definitely one of the top clubs in the country.
Just not a fan of the AWA scored more points than Iowa comparison.
Well if they were all in the same team Probly could have happened anyway….

First time I met him I had a hawkeye wrestling hoodie and he was less than engaging :)

I can't stress enough how great his folks were. Kids were great too. Kudos to the whole family.
I don't believe you. sorta.

I've always found EVERY New Jersey-ian to be an acquired taste. They're good people, strong family values... but not sure i would ever call them "salt of the earth" types.

I don't believe you. sorta.

I've always found EVERY New Jersey-ian to be an acquired taste. They're good people, strong family values... but not sure i would ever call them "salt of the earth" types.
Haha. Love it. If I recall correctly, Frank's parents aren't NJ natives and are originally from Ohio.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
The point of my posts are not to JUST compare them to everyone else. It is to point out how weak minded the argument is that says, "We are Iowa, we should just be the best because we are Iowa" without realizing you ARE better than everyone but PSU and PSU is the best DYNASTY of all time in DI wrestling.

Even then, I still have said over and over that I have no issue with fans wanting and even expecting more. My issue is more about all the flat out blame on Brands and the ridiculous "fixes" many come up with that are either pipe dreams or, worse, have no substantive evidence they would even do as well as Brands, let alone better.

To be crystal clear, ANYONE short of Sanderson at Iowa would be this far behind PSU right now. In fact, I am not sure ANYONE would have as many titles as Brands has going up against Sanderson. That is the entire point...
Nailed it, nothing wrong with aspiring to be the best, but there usually is just one best at one time. And once these dynasties get rolling quick fixes won't put you on top.

What else do you think is out there?
No idea, but I'm not the one so desperate to hire a former Penn State or Missouri wrestler to head the Hawkeye program. Some of those other names might be good, but I seriously doubt that any of those few guys would take the job.

This is a tough predicament because Hawk fan expectations are always through the roof (like beating Carl in a few years), and the current available college-level coaching talent is largely unproven at this level.

My only guess is to wait until after the Olympics, and add Spencer Lee to the assistant coaching staff, then see what happens. That's a multi-year process at best.

I’m pretty sure I could coach the team to a trophy with a team of top 10 pfp wrestlers. Get some bodies on the coaching staff that those kids want to come be around and wrestle for and the “coaching” part will take care of itself.
Is that the only reason that Carl's teams are winning? ;)

boom GIF
24 hours since this post. What’s the deal?

No idea, but I'm not the one so desperate to hire a former Penn State or Missouri wrestler to head the Hawkeye program. Some of those other names might be good, but I seriously doubt that any of those few guys would take the job.
You should take off your Hawk colored glasses. When Iowa decides to hire a new coach it should be whoever knocks there socks off. Iowa alum or not. Right now the only possibilities seem to be Ramos or Bill Zadick that would have a possible resume as alums that are in favor.

And if Iowa called any high calibre coach and gave them the right pitch it would seem like it would be hard to turn down.
This is a tough predicament because Hawk fan expectations are always through the roof (like beating Carl in a few years), and the current available college-level coaching talent is largely unproven at this level.

My only guess is to wait until after the Olympics, and add Spencer Lee to the assistant coaching staff, then see what happens. That's a multi-year process at best.
I think it would be highly unlikely that Spencer is on staff while he’s still competing which he said he’d like to do through the next cycle at least. So unless they are developing a succession plan not gonna happen. And as much as he’s a great wrestler he’s done nothing to show that he’s capable of being the next transformative coach at the highest level.

Thank God no one was this shortsighted back in 1974.
Big difference between Iowa State (1974) and Penn State (2024), and big difference between DT and Gable. Iowa State wasn't completely dominating then like Penn State is now. And U. of Iowa wasn't even in the same title conversation in the early seventies. You say I'm short-sighted. I say I'm realistic, and that some of you are grasping at straws. We'll see how this plays out.

Reactions: savage84
You should take off your Hawk colored glasses. When Iowa decides to hire a new coach it should be whoever knocks there socks off. Iowa alum or not. Right now the only possibilities seem to be Ramos or Bill Zadick that would have a possible resume as alums that are in favor.

And if Iowa called any high calibre coach and gave them the right pitch it would seem like it would be hard to turn down.

I think it would be highly unlikely that Spencer is on staff while he’s still competing which he said he’d like to do through the next cycle at least. So unless they are developing a succession plan not gonna happen. And as much as he’s a great wrestler he’s done nothing to show that he’s capable of being the next transformative coach at the highest level.
That was a "guess", not a prediction. I'm not saying that it has to be an Iowa alum. Just has to be someone who can do the job. DT can't beat a Cael-coached Brooks, and he won't out-coach or out-recruit a Cael-coached PSU team either.

Reactions: LIV4GOD and MSU158
Him losing to Brooks this weekend has little to do with what he could do as a recruiter or coach. I’m not even in the side that says cut the Brands loose. With that said if Iowa was going for a wholesale change there is one name that would be at the top of the list and it’s Taylor.hes one of the most dynamic and dominant college wrestlers there’s ever been. He checks every box there is to be a great head coach. Multiple national championships, multiple world and Olympic medals and he’s been in one of the two most dominant programs ever. The only thing he’s lacking is D1 coaching experience. With that said that was what was required 20 years ago. The high level academy experience is the new assistant coach experience.

Tony Ramos would crush it.

that's not an endorsement to fire TNT

but Ramos would, indeed, crush it when the regime change comes.

Tony Ramos would crush it.

that's not an endorsement to fire TNT

but Ramos would, indeed, crush it when the regime change comes.
Chicago connection, been working the east coast at Carolina. Learning from Koll a big help with administrative stuff. Would be a decent succession plan.

Reactions: el dub
Big difference between Iowa State (1974) and Penn State (2024), and big difference between DT and Gable. Iowa State wasn't completely dominating then like Penn State is now. And U. of Iowa wasn't even in the same title conversation in the early seventies. You say I'm short-sighted. I say I'm realistic, and that some of you are grasping at straws. We'll see how this plays out.

Um…wouldn’t thinks mean that Iowa should be even MORE open to someone from PSU? And ISU had won 4 of the previous 5 NCAA team titles when Iowa hired Gable. That’s still domination.

Anyway…the point is that being so adamantly against someone from a different college is, sad to say…idiotic at best. Imagine if PSU had the same philosophy? 😂

You trust Randy Pugh? I'm always astounded he's still on staff there. Schwab has just not been successful enough and has the same issues with injuries and burnout as Brands. That said, would be proud to have him as my coach. Absolute class and high effort guy.
You would dog on Randy Pugh. You are such a dum dum. Do you not follow along, pay attention dip shit. Who do you think coached up Drew Foster, Lujan, Keck, the 184/197 pounder from LaPort City that came out of nowhere and got 3rd a few years back. Look at the track record of AA’s from 165-197 at UNI. Shit Simma made the blood rd this year. Who do you think coaches those guys. You could easily argue Randy is the bright spot on the UNI staff. Spooner I truly believe you were a pumpkin pusher in HS.

You would dog on Randy Pugh. You are such a dum dum. Do you not follow along, pay attention dip shit. Who do you think coached up Drew Foster, Lujan, Keck, the 184/197 pounder from LaPort City that came out of nowhere and got 3rd a few years back. Look at the track record of AA’s from 165-197 at UNI. Shit Simma made the blood rd this year. Who do you think coaches those guys. You could easily argue Randy is the bright spot on the UNI staff. Spooner I truly believe you were a pumpkin pusher in HS.

No idea who coached them, or care. I do know that due to first hand, personal experience that I don't care for the guy.

Lee Roper deserves quite a bit of credit in this area.

Reactions: johnyt9
How much actual recruiting does Spencer even do right now? Between rehabbing his myriad injuries and training for OTTs, I suspect he doesn't have much extra time left over at the moment. I feel like Spencer could be a recruiting tool for Iowa, but he needs to be used as such for it to make a difference. Having Brent Metcalf telling recruits "You know Spencer Lee once wrestled here" isn't going to move anyone's needle, but having Spencer actually out on the trail meeting kids himself might.
Brent coaches at IA St.😳

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Yes, the rumor is Jax to Okie State. But you have to realize there are about 10 other extremely good wrestlers that Iowa could be starting to build a relationship with. Joey & Fred Bachmann, Landon Sidun, Keanu Dillard, Melvin Miller, Chase Karenbuaer, Mario Hutcherson, Sam Herring, Austin Johnson who are all top PA kids coming up. You can even look in NY at Cam Howard. I would almost bet a lot of these kids who are currently 8th-10th graders have some sort of relationship with other top schools right now, but is Iowa building that relationship with them is the question?
Chase Karenbauer’s sister is at Iowa and on the gymnastics team. Hope for some family pull there

Um…wouldn’t thinks mean that Iowa should be even MORE open to someone from PSU? And ISU had won 4 of the previous 5 NCAA team titles when Iowa hired Gable. That’s still domination.

Anyway…the point is that being so adamantly against someone from a different college is, sad to say…idiotic at best. Imagine if PSU had the same philosophy? 😂
I didn't say "not open to to someone from another college" You moved that bar. I implied not open to some on that list. At least this idiot can read. ;)

Look we all want more success here. Can we please just let this play out. One way or another, it will play out, if only because the new-ish AD will not want further decline, and she will make some changes whether TnT (or any of us) want that or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
I disagree. We have enough intensity at the moment on our coaching staff. We need new school additions, not old school, imo.
Please explain this new school. Yoga & massage? ;)
I think we all can guess what you mean, but I'd like to hear it. More attention to technique and more modern training techniques? Less intense workouts? More emphasis on the mental aspects?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT