ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I feel like Ben has the larger name appeal. People only know max as “Ben Askrens brother”
1. Ben is unhire-able as a HC.

2. That won't matter when he's building relationships, has a relationship with AWA and has a really good head for the job. Max actually had a real major and speaks fluent Mandarin.

Reactions: el dub and wahlberg
I feel like Ben has the larger name appeal. People only know max as “Ben Askrens brother”

I think Max is the engine behind their club. We don't hear from him because he's probably too f-ing busy to be a regular on FRL.

Ben has always struck me as a guy that has all the answers...for everyone else. This doesn't make him a bad guy or even a bad coach but as far as moving his pot into the middle, sacking up to be a college coach, and proving his brilliance? Don't think it will ever happen. Too much has to happen and that won't be on his terms.

The short term concern is staying ahead of everyone not named PSU.

Do that, then aim for #1.

Current team doesn't look like a top 3 squad to me.

Reactions: Muscles1989
I'm fairly confident that Cael could hold his own with other coaches, and yes Iowa might not be the second best every year but They're right in the pack. I don't see any clear number 2. I'd have to go back and check Gable's years, but was there a clear second place team then? When dynasties happen the team at the top seems to suck up all the recruits, mainly because they're the obvious top team. Until something knocks off the top team like retirement or some huge earth shaking scandal, it doesn't change.
We need Cael to retire at 47 like Gable did. I don’t think we will be so lucky. It all about attracting a big name coach to bring in the recruits. The only name on the list put up that might be able to do that is DT. Askren might pull a few Wisconsin kids, but he is a relative unknown. His brother is a much bigger name, but even he is old enough that kids may not know him if not for his involvement with flo.

You are saying they are the best job, do most people think so? OSU has great resources too. Cornell has some handicap with Ivy league restrictions, but that seems like a good job too. A fan base IMO over estimates their appeal as a coaching decision. I see this with PSU football and even worse with Notre Dame football. Past history is something the fan base loves, but it doesn't always equate to making it a better destination.
With Iowa’s resources, fan base, attendance numbers (home and away) and tradition, yes. I don’t see that specific combo with Cornell or Ohio State. Maybe I am bias, I guess.

Reactions: vhsalum
Then it's a matter of showing them they are important to the program and that you are committed to helping them reach their goals.

All coaches and teams should be doing the above. What separates coaches is the extra stuff. Not money but time. I just read an article from a week after nationals this year where Cael held a two day clinic on Long Island. That's the real recruiting. Recruiting for tomorrow because some future stud will probably be in those sessions and when they are a junior they are already sold.

Therein lies the problem. Telling them is one thing; showing them is another.

Top ten, even top 30 recruits envision Olympic medals. What in today's landscape convinces kids that Iowa gives them their best chance to reach their goals?

The HWC has one bullet to spend this weekend. If Spencer comes up short, what leverage will TB have when he talks to guys like Blase and Jax F?

spencer is not getting Iowa blue chippers any time soon regardless what he does. that narrative is already written.

you might get Parco though

honestly that’s crazy regarding the spencer narrative.

i’m with you regarding your tweet.

as it applies to parco , i just don’t know how much sense it makes to bring in one year rentals when there is zero chance of a team title anyways. for what, a better chance at 2nd?

at some point there has to be development so let’s just see if our guys can make a jump to be on parco’s level. rathjen was right there close to his tier last year and doesn’t have the mileage on him that parco does so he could definitely close the gap.

honestly that’s crazy regarding the spencer narrative.

i’m with you regarding your tweet.

as it applies to parco , i just don’t know how much sense it makes to bring in one year rentals when there is zero chance of a team title anyways. for what, a better chance at 2nd?

at some point there has to be development so let’s just see if our guys can make a jump to be on parco’s level. rathjen was right there close to his tier last year and doesn’t have the mileage on him that parco does so he could definitely close the gap.

I agree, Parco = Franek IMO. Maybe a few extra points at NCAAs, but no long-term benefit.

Let Michigan throw $$$ at 2nd/3rd place. What will they do in 2 years when they run out of 'super seniors'.

Reactions: eb05
Yes, spend money in pursuit of second place.

If you're 100 points out of first, and you're not second...or third...or fourth...yes, spend money in pursuit of second place.

Studs elevate the caliber of the program. Studs set the expectations.

No one is catching PSU for the next 5+ years. Chase them, for God's sake. More finalists. More champs. (Did I say "more" champs? LOL.)

You need to consistently score 100 points before you can consistently score 150. Do what's necessary to hit the first mark and people may start to have more confidence in your ability to someday hit the second.

I disagree. Starting with Kemerer, I think their recruiting approach changed substantially. I also don't see ANY hole whatsoever. Your premise implies they are going backwards under Tom and that is just flat out laughable...

What I do see is the mountain rising with PSU constantly climbing near the top and Iowa not quite able to figure out how to climb fast enough to keep the pace, let alone catch up. Meanwhile everyone else is consistently below Iowa and may have a year or 2 where they catch or slightly pass Iowa to only either fall all the way down or be lucky enough to be caught by their safety harness quite a ways down...
I think I missed this earlier—since Kem how have they done? How many top 10 p4p has Brands successfully brought in and successfully developed? I’m not saying we’re going backward, I’m saying we’re spinning our tires and PSU has easily lapped us.

what i mean is, elite recruits aren't going to go to iowa in droves JUST b/c of Spencer. we'd already have seen it if that were the case.
How much actual recruiting does Spencer even do right now? Between rehabbing his myriad injuries and training for OTTs, I suspect he doesn't have much extra time left over at the moment. I feel like Spencer could be a recruiting tool for Iowa, but he needs to be used as such for it to make a difference. Having Brent Metcalf telling recruits "You know Spencer Lee once wrestled here" isn't going to move anyone's needle, but having Spencer actually out on the trail meeting kids himself might.

6. Schwab - first and only hawk I would put on this list - only because I trust his assistants. Still a little too attached to how hard/intense everything has to be.

You trust Randy Pugh? I'm always astounded he's still on staff there. Schwab has just not been successful enough and has the same issues with injuries and burnout as Brands. That said, would be proud to have him as my coach. Absolute class and high effort guy.

Reactions: vhsalum
You trust Randy Pugh? I'm always astounded he's still on staff there. Schwab has just not been successful enough and has the same issues with injuries and burnout as Brands. That said, would be proud to have him as my coach. Absolute class and high effort guy.

Agreed. But yes. Both Roper and Pugh seem to do a good job.

Pugh is very good.
Yes, Pugh is a good coach, but he's a complete A hole if he doesn't get a recruit, he thinks he's going to get or really wants. He was recruiting one of my high school guys pretty hard a few years back. My guy gave a verbal elsewhere. Randy called me on the phone and dropped a crap load of F bombs and everything else in the conversation. At the end of the phone call, he said I'm going to keep recruiting him, he hasn't signed yet. I told him I wasn't going to promote him or UNI in anyway. I haven't given him the time of day since then.

Yes, Pugh is a good coach, but he's a complete A hole if he doesn't get a recruit, he thinks he's going to get or really wants. He was recruiting one of my high school guys pretty hard a few years back. My guy gave a verbal elsewhere. Randy called me on the phone and dropped a crap load of F bombs and everything else in the conversation. At the end of the phone call, he said I'm going to keep recruiting him, he hasn't signed yet. I told him I wasn't going to promote him or UNI in anyway. I haven't given him the time of day since then.

that sounds about right nicolas cage GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT