ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Someone should have an interview with Tom and ask straight out. WTF is the plan for next year and moving forward???

Has Tom given any interviews at the end of the season? I saw a 2 min one at the end of nationals. Have there been any interviews since then? Do coaches not have required interviews at the conclusion of seasons?

Reactions: gprsox
Honest answer? I DO NOT THINK ANYONE would be competing any better with PSU right now and I DO NOT see anyone that would do any better any time soon. The hard truth is this is a PSU thing WAY MORE than an Iowa thing.

On top of it all, PSU has the best team EVER in DI history the same time that ONLY the state of Iowa investigates colleges for gambling. No matter what ignorant, "what if denying" arguments that were used, Iowa was the CLEAR 2nd best team behind the best team OF ALL TIME this year.

If you flat out compare Iowa to just PSU, yes, they fail. But, guess what? So does EVERYONE else and so would they if they were coaching at Iowa.

Finally, that DOES NOT mean I do not believe there are plenty of areas where I believe the Brands are deficient in. I absolutely believe there should be changes in coaching emphasis on positions and strategy. I also lean towards assistant coaching changes to bring in those that are better at coaching in those areas. I simply WON'T go down the road of saying all this is Brands failing when I realize how much of it is really just SANDERSON having incredible success...

You keep comparing Iowa to "EVERYONE ELSE". We have more resources, more tradition, etc. Iowa shouldn't be compared with everyone else.

You keep comparing Iowa to "EVERYONE ELSE". We have more resources, more tradition, etc. Iowa shouldn't be compared with everyone else.
The point of my posts are not to JUST compare them to everyone else. It is to point out how weak minded the argument is that says, "We are Iowa, we should just be the best because we are Iowa" without realizing you ARE better than everyone but PSU and PSU is the best DYNASTY of all time in DI wrestling.

Even then, I still have said over and over that I have no issue with fans wanting and even expecting more. My issue is more about all the flat out blame on Brands and the ridiculous "fixes" many come up with that are either pipe dreams or, worse, have no substantive evidence they would even do as well as Brands, let alone better.

To be crystal clear, ANYONE short of Sanderson at Iowa would be this far behind PSU right now. In fact, I am not sure ANYONE would have as many titles as Brands has going up against Sanderson. That is the entire point...

Reactions: bourbon n blues
To be crystal clear, ANYONE short of Sanderson at Iowa would be this far behind PSU right now. In fact, I am not sure ANYONE would have as many titles as Brands has going up against Sanderson. That is the entire point...

That's an unprovable claim.

My issue with the Tom and Terry is that they had momentum with Kem, Spencer, Marinelli, the Young Guns / PA to Iowa pipeline, the three ring binder ("now we know what we need to do"). and now we're going backwards with little hope in sight. Tom talked about the culture change with Kem and now we're bringing in AJ Ferrari. Tom talked about driving through the night to recruit Kemerer. Is he still putting in that work?

The failure to develop national champs is a problem. If we're not winning as a team, a program like Iowa should at least be able to develop national champs routinely and the Brands have failed badly at that.

Times have changed as well and middle school/high school kids don't know or relate to who the Brands' were as wrestlers.

Has Tom given any interviews following the season? Has he publicly given the fans or potential recruits any reason to be optimistic about the program?

That's an unprovable claim.

My issue with the Tom and Terry is that they had momentum with Kem, Spencer, Marinelli, the Young Guns / PA to Iowa pipeline, the three ring binder ("now we know what we need to do"). and now we're going backwards with little hope in sight. Tom talked about the culture change with Kem and now we're bringing in AJ Ferrari. Tom talked about driving through the night to recruit Kemerer. Is he still putting in that work?

The failure to develop national champs is a problem. If we're not winning as a team, a program like Iowa should at least be able to develop national champs routinely and the Brands have failed badly at that.

Times have changed as well and middle school/high school kids don't know or relate to who the Brands' were as wrestlers.

Has Tom given any interviews following the season? Has he publicly given the fans or potential recruits any reason to be optimistic about the program?
Wouldn’t hate for tnt to be run the show but turn over power/ day to day to a few big names teens can relate to. Outside of SL who else is a name kids wanna flock to wrestle around. Mstar or Telford? Not a chance. Shiny window less rooms aren’t gonna do it

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
Wouldn’t hate for tnt to be run the show but turn over power/ day to day to a few big names teens can relate to. Outside of SL who else is a name kids wanna flock to wrestle around. Mstar or Telford? Not a chance. Shiny window less rooms aren’t gonna do it
Agree...there isn't any youth or high schooler that have ever heard of MStar or Telford and neither accomplished elite level stuff when they competed.

In Iowa's case, stubbornness is not a positive attribute.
They gotta do something different or the trend continues.

Agree...there isn't any youth or high schooler that have ever heard of MStar or Telford and neither accomplished elite level stuff when they competed.

My problem with Tom is that we are not getting the results we want, and nothing is being changed. There is no staff shakeup, recruiting is not getting better, results are not getting better, injuries are not getting better. If he is doing many different things behind the scenes I am not seeing it. It seems to me like Tom is the type of person to double down and do what they already do but just work harder.

Unfortunately Tnt have gone from determined to stubborn. The difference being that in one case you do everything you can to reach a goal and in the other you ignore things that can help you reach the goal.

boom GIF

booming a high schooler committing to rutgers on an iowa wrestling board thread about the transfer portal would be something
I’ve seen a lot of “BOOMS” on my wrestling twitter today all in regards to Gibson, I don’t think it matters as his stock has steadily fallen since middle school but that’s all I was referring to.

And he's not changing. He keeps saying he will, but doesn't. And has proven it again this offseason. and honestly, I think its just time. He's too stubborn and refuses to do what it takes. It's time to let someone else. Someone who's at least willing to TRY and catch Carl with some willingness to change. I'd go in this order:

1. DT - the bestest choice, would immediately get our recruiting to PSU levels.

2. Max Askren - He's going to Wisconsin next year and we can't let him. Pay him what he wants so that we're getting AWA AND PNL kids. I'm listening to Mitchell Mesenbrink on a podcast and he said the culture at AWA is the same at PSU

3. JB - it's probably a no, but at least kick the tires

Now... the less sexy candidates that are at least up-to-date on wrestling in today's world.

1. Tony Robie - he's doing an excellent job at a not-blue blood spot

2. Neil Erisman - is going to work his freaking tail off

3. Pat Pop - seems to suffer from the late season swoon, so i'm less bullish on him than in years past

4. Frank Molinaro - from the PSU system, is doing a pretty good job as an assistant at ASU

5. Ayres - recruited REALLY WELL at a hard school, understands how to lighten the load.

6. Schwab - first and only hawk I would put on this list - only because I trust his assistants. Still a little too attached to how hard/intense everything has to be.
Frank was my neighbor for a few years. I think he will stay in AZ for a while and shoot to be Zeke's replacement. His wife is from here too and it would be tough to pull them away. Not sure he has a fondness for the Hawks. BTW- his parents are salt of the earth people are just great folks.

I think Max is the engine behind their club. We don't hear from him because he's probably too f-ing busy to be a regular on FRL.

Ben has always struck me as a guy that has all the answers...for everyone else. This doesn't make him a bad guy or even a bad coach but as far as moving his pot into the middle, sacking up to be a college coach, and proving his brilliance? Don't think it will ever happen. Too much has to happen and that won't be on his terms.
Besides, I doubt that Ben will ever coach at Iowa, a program he loves to criticize. That's not to say that he doesn't know wrestling, or make some good points sometimes. As Chief suggests, there's a lot more to being a title-contending D1 wrestling coach than there is to running a successful club.

Unfortunately Tnt have gone from determined to stubborn. The difference being that in one case you do everything you can to reach a goal and in the other you ignore things that can help you reach the goal.
Feels that way to me as well. If there is a plan, they aren't sharing it. The natives are getting restless.

Reactions: Trapper85
Frank was my neighbor for a few years. I think he will stay in AZ for a while and shoot to be Zeke's replacement. His wife is from here too and it would be tough to pull them away. Not sure he has a fondness for the Hawks. BTW- his parents are salt of the earth people are just great folks.
I thought that Frank (the tank) was a hawk hater.

Reactions: kkhawk
Besides, I doubt that Ben will ever coach at Iowa, a program he loves to criticize. That's not to say that he doesn't know wrestling, or make some good points sometimes. As Chief suggests, there's a lot more to being a title-contending D1 wrestling coach than there is to running a successful club.
Respectfully I used to feel this way but I think guys like Taylor and Askren would have almost 0 learning curve. These clubs are businesses and they are without a doubt successful. Either they are coaching these kids up to being contenders from day 1 on campus or they are recruiting them to their clubs. Pick your poison both desirable traits. And by the way AWA scored more points than the hawks did this year at nationals.

And he's not changing. He keeps saying he will, but doesn't. And has proven it again this offseason. and honestly, I think its just time. He's too stubborn and refuses to do what it takes. It's time to let someone else. Someone who's at least willing to TRY and catch Carl with some willingness to change. I'd go in this order:

1. DT - the bestest choice, would immediately get our recruiting to PSU levels.

2. Max Askren - He's going to Wisconsin next year and we can't let him. Pay him what he wants so that we're getting AWA AND PNL kids. I'm listening to Mitchell Mesenbrink on a podcast and he said the culture at AWA is the same at PSU

3. JB - it's probably a no, but at least kick the tires

Now... the less sexy candidates that are at least up-to-date on wrestling in today's world.

1. Tony Robie - he's doing an excellent job at a not-blue blood spot

2. Neil Erisman - is going to work his freaking tail off

3. Pat Pop - seems to suffer from the late season swoon, so i'm less bullish on him than in years past

4. Frank Molinaro - from the PSU system, is doing a pretty good job as an assistant at ASU

5. Ayres - recruited REALLY WELL at a hard school, understands how to lighten the load.

6. Schwab - first and only hawk I would put on this list - only because I trust his assistants. Still a little too attached to how hard/intense everything has to be.
Some of these guys would never, and many are poor choices for Iowa. We're talking making a real run at the Nit machine within a few years. Not going to happen from this list.

I’m pretty sure I could coach the team to a trophy with a team of top 10 pfp wrestlers. Get some bodies on the coaching staff that those kids want to come be around and wrestle for and the “coaching” part will take care of itself.

Respectfully I used to feel this way but I think guys like Taylor and Askren would have almost 0 learning curve. These clubs are businesses and they are without a doubt successful. Either they are coaching these kids up to being contenders from day 1 on campus or they are recruiting them to their clubs. Pick your poison both desirable traits. And by the way AWA scored more points than the hawks did this year at nationals.
A college program can't have multiple guys at a weight class scoring points, which your point total for AWA would have.

Reactions: grapplefann
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT