ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Yes, he will be commissioned upon graduation next month. Not sure of details though on what role he plays militarily while continuing to compete. This is rare but not unprecedented (usually football).

Reactions: el dub
No idea, but I'm not the one so desperate to hire a former Penn State or Missouri wrestler to head the Hawkeye program. Some of those other names might be good, but I seriously doubt that any of those few guys would take the job.

This is a tough predicament because Hawk fan expectations are always through the roof (like beating Carl in a few years), and the current available college-level coaching talent is largely unproven at this level.

My only guess is to wait until after the Olympics, and add Spencer Lee to the assistant coaching staff, then see what happens. That's a multi-year process at best.
Once Spencer joins the staff, the clock on Tom’s career is at most 3 years.

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF
well......................good or bad?

Alirez will be in the portal soon.

Michigan and Iowa have already offered $500k

Teemer is being pushed to go into the portal. iowa could have alirez, parco, teemer, caliendo - back to back to back to back

Hendrickson has been offered $400k from okiest. Michigan is coming after him hard as well.
How in the hell am I suppose to work the rest of the day?

Teemer is being pushed to go into the portal. iowa could have alirez, parco, teemer, caliendo - back to back to back to back

Hendrickson has been offered $400k from okiest. Michigan is coming after him hard as well.
3/4 chub the rest of the day

• Haha
Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Am I the only one who finds it odd that a psu guy has so much to say about the direction of the Iowa coaching staff?
Am I the only one who finds it odd that an Iowa guy has no comment about the direction of the Iowa coaching staff if scenario A happens? That's why they call it an internet foum.

The first thread on this forum is about Carter Storocci and PSU, so LOL at your question.

Reactions: andegre and el dub

and then Nasir Bailey at 133 right 😂

The point of my posts are not to JUST compare them to everyone else. It is to point out how weak minded the argument is that says, "We are Iowa, we should just be the best because we are Iowa" without realizing you ARE better than everyone but PSU and PSU is the best DYNASTY of all time in DI wrestling.

Even then, I still have said over and over that I have no issue with fans wanting and even expecting more. My issue is more about all the flat out blame on Brands and the ridiculous "fixes" many come up with that are either pipe dreams or, worse, have no substantive evidence they would even do as well as Brands, let alone better.

To be crystal clear, ANYONE short of Sanderson at Iowa would be this far behind PSU right now. In fact, I am not sure ANYONE would have as many titles as Brands has going up against Sanderson. That is the entire point...
How about, "We are Iowa. We should be capable of consistently scoring 100 points at NCAAs, regardless of how many points Penn State scores."

For whatever reason, Tom has not been able to do that. He's only done it 4 times in 17 seasons, the same as Zalesky in 9. Gable did it 16 times in 21 seasons. So we know it's possible. That's a problem that has nothing to do with Penn State.

We're not performing to our potential. That's the concern.

How about, "We are Iowa. We should be capable of consistently scoring 100 points at NCAAs, regardless of how many points Penn State scores."

For whatever reason, Tom has not been able to do that. He's only done it 4 times in 17 seasons, the same as Zalesky in 9. Gable did it 16 times in 21 seasons. So we know it's possible. That's a problem that has nothing to do with Penn State.

I have no issue with 100 points, on a relatively consistent basis, being the goal. BUT, it is important to point out that actually DOES become harder the more points PSU scores. When they are filling up top 3 spots in 7-8 weight classes and pumping out 5-6 Finalists, they are monopolizing most of the room to score those type of points.

Mind you, TEN 6th place finishes score roughly 85-90 points without bonus. Even TEN 5th place finishes could technically fall short of 100. So, when pointing to Gable, how many other teams scored over 100 during those seasons? How many by the same team?

Look, I get that Iowa needs to do MORE. I 100% agree. I just think Covid was a HUGE destructive factor that derailed serious momentum that Brands had going. Now, he needs to adapt and focus on some of the glaring Iowa weaknesses in finishing/scrambling as well as find a way to at least consistently distance themselves in recruiting from everyone but PSU.

Simply put, I am more in the middle. I am not running around saying Brands is doing a great job. But, I also do not think he is doing a terrible job. I think what PSU has done is beyond incredible and it is unfair to try to compare anyone to it. PSU is basically "Young Sheldon (Cooper)" wrecking the bell curve and essentially knocking everyone else's grades down....

This would be a great line up. Are Parco & Teemer a package deal? I was hoping to see Caliendo at 157 and Kennedy at 165. Love to see Kennedy get an AA

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
184 - Brands/Ferrari - 4th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th

The failure to get guys on top of the podium is directly related to the failure to consistently get over 100.

This would be a great line up. Are Parco & Teemer a package deal? I was hoping to see Caliendo at 157 and Kennedy at 165. Love to see Kennedy get an AA

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th
I don't think there is ANY chance at Alirez. My understanding is he stayed "home" in Colorado because he LOVES being close to his family. I am not sure even a Brinks truck full of 100's gets him to leave...

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th
If Iowa brings in Parco and Teemer, Kennedy could still get an AA. Just not at Iowa. LOL.

I don't think there is ANY chance at Alirez. My understanding is he stayed "home" in Colorado because he LOVES being close to his family. I am not sure even a Brinks truck full of 100's gets him to leave...
Yeah, I would be shocked if Alirez moved on, but stranger things have happened, so we'll see, I guess.

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th
Pk has had two opportunities to get that AA.

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th
Zach Galifianakis Yes GIF

I have heard that about Alirez, but I also know that Hendrickson had no intention of leaving AF, but $400,000 can make you rethink things.
For football guys this may not seem like a lot, because they have so many professional leagues besides the NFL, but for wrestlers, it is life changing. Hard to turn $50,000 down, let alone $400,000, if true.

125 - Drake - 1st
133 - Transfer??
141 - Alirez - 1st
149 - Parco - Top 4
157 - Teemer - Top 4
165 - Caliendo - top 2
174 - Arnold - 6th
197 - Glazier - round 12
HWT - Kueter - 8th
ARNOLD will be wrestling for a title if no issues with injury! Kueter will be better then 8th IF he wrestles?
Put AJ at 197, and we take out F*** st.!!!!

I have heard that about Alirez, but I also know that Hendrickson had no intention of leaving AF, but $400,000 can make you rethink things.
For football guys this may not seem like a lot, because they have so many professional leagues besides the NFL, but for wrestlers, it is life changing. Hard to turn $50,000 down, let alone $400,000, if true.
Hendrickson has to leave AF if he wants to wrestle this year. He would be getting a 1 year deferment of his service to wrestle somewhere else.

ARNOLD will be wrestling for a title if no issues with injury! Kueter will be better then 8th IF he wrestles?
Put AJ at 197, and we take out F*** st.!!!!
The reality, of course, is that with Alirez unlikely to move, Parco/Teemer could go anywhere, and AJ more likely to be incarcerated than wrestling, it's much more likely Iowa gets shut out next year than wins against PSU.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that an Iowa guy has no comment about the direction of the Iowa coaching staff if scenario A happens? That's why they call it an internet foum.

The first thread on this forum is about Carter Storocci and PSU, so LOL at your question.
Sorry man, I just find it really odd a psu fan spends so much time. here.
Are you here to defend and answer all questions about psu?
There could be a thread or multiple threads on your wrestling forum about Iowa wrestling, but I would never know, because I don't go there. I stick to the Iowa wrestling forum, because I'm a Iowa wrestling fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT