ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Coach Riley on Starting Football

Mohawkeye

HR Legend
Jun 13, 2002
Kind of surprised he is taking a cautious approach because, you know, Oklahoma.

“In my opinion, we need to bring them in as late as we possibly can before we play a season,” Riley said. “Every day early that we bring them in is a day we could have gotten better. It’s a day we could’ve learned more about the virus. It’s a day PPE maybe gets better. It’s a day closer to a vaccine. It’s a day that our testing equipment and testing capabilities get better, and it’s just not worth it.

“All this talk about these schools wanting to bring players back on June 1 is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard,” Riley said. “And so we’ve got to be patient. We’ll get one good shot at it, to bring them back at the right time when we’re prepared and know as much about this as we possibly can.”

Check out this article from News-Leader:

MSU football's Week 1 opposing head coach calls June return of athletes 'ridiculous'

https://www.news-leader.com/story/s...oach-calls-june-return-ridiculous/5196704002/

Kind of surprised he is taking a cautious approach because, you know, Oklahoma.

“In my opinion, we need to bring them in as late as we possibly can before we play a season,” Riley said. “Every day early that we bring them in is a day we could have gotten better. It’s a day we could’ve learned more about the virus. It’s a day PPE maybe gets better. It’s a day closer to a vaccine. It’s a day that our testing equipment and testing capabilities get better, and it’s just not worth it.

“All this talk about these schools wanting to bring players back on June 1 is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard,” Riley said. “And so we’ve got to be patient. We’ll get one good shot at it, to bring them back at the right time when we’re prepared and know as much about this as we possibly can.”

Check out this article from News-Leader:

MSU football's Week 1 opposing head coach calls June return of athletes 'ridiculous'

https://www.news-leader.com/story/s...oach-calls-june-return-ridiculous/5196704002/

I would say the state of OK has demonstrated a whole hell of a lot more of the values I was raised with in Bettendorf than the state of IA lately. Rather cheap shot at the whole state in your opening sentence.

I don't "know" Oklahoma, tell me more! God does everything have to be a conspiracy theory?

I’m sure all conferences are having zoom meetings with their head coaches and AD’s on a regular basis as Kirk said he just got off a zoom meeting with the B1G when he did the Dan Patrick show a couple weeks ago.

All of this is very fluid and they will bring back players when they feel it is right to do so. I think players will be in a better place by coming back and getting into a normal routine - mentally, physically, nutritionally, and from a healthcare standpoint. Those players will be tested once if not multiple times a day with that many players in the football complex spread out at the same time.

Those players stand to be a test model for how to do things right in preparation for the fall when school is back in session (God willing) and hopefully playing football (even more God willing and able).

This is the new normal in doing things differently. Get used to it.

His audience isn’t you, me, or the lamppost. His audience is recruits and this is going to backfire if other schools start practice and their athletes get drafted over Oklahoma players due to them not practicing

I say, let's go. June 1st is a good date.
Like it or not, haters, the world will go on whether you want to join in or not.
And if you're not ready, that is perfectly fine. It's your choice. Take your time.
But most of us are ready.
The virus will get to everyone eventually.
The whole social distance and stay home thing was just to slow the outbreak down so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed. and they're not, nor will they be at this point.
So, let's try to save our small businesses and our income sources before it's too late.

Like it or not, haters, the world will go on whether you want to join in or not.
And if you're not ready, that is perfectly fine. It's your choice. Take your time.
The whole social distance and stay home thing was just to slow the outbreak down so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed. and they're not, nor will they be at this point.
So, let's try to save our small businesses and our income sources before it's too late.
seriously dude who the hell are you to think you should tell them when to get playing the most physical game around. Get real.....
we are still short on PPE people still can't get tested that are clearly sick and don't know why they are sick. The delay has done little because politicians are freaking worthless.

but yes let's send these kids to practice so we can save small business. Rolleyes......

Reactions: TailgateTom
Exactly, because losing a business is final. Someone dying because of the virus, isn't.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Personally, I think anyone that is over the age of 18 should be able to decide for themselves when they reopen their business, when they want to return to work, whether or not they want to go into these small businesses that have reopened, or whether or not they want to show up and play football this fall. It's called the right to choose, and each individual who chooses to self quarantine or take their chances resuming their life has that right under the constitution. I mean, I am 56 and diabetic, I know every day what can happen by going outside. I can catch the Corona virus, or I could get killed going to work in a car accident, but I make my own choice and I alone am responsible for the outcome. So, if coaches and players want to go June 1st or this fall, let them go. Those who don't feel safe can stay home, it's there choice. No one self quarantining is going to be infected by people choosing to go on with their life, it's pretty hard to infect someone who is locked at home. LOL . Life is a risk. ;) I know I know, some here will think I am uncaring, or insensitive, so have at it. ;)

His audience isn’t you, me, or the lamppost. His audience is recruits and this is going to backfire if other schools start practice and their athletes get drafted over Oklahoma players due to them not practicing

Given that he is at Oklahoma I would say nobody should lose any sleep or shed any tears for the Sooners.

Personally, I think anyone that is over the age of 18 should be able to decide for themselves when they reopen their business, when they want to return to work, whether or not they want to go into these small businesses that have reopened, or whether or not they want to show up and play football this fall. It's called the right to choose, and each individual who chooses to self quarantine or take their chances resuming their life has that right under the constitution. I mean, I am 56 and diabetic, I know every day what can happen by going outside. I can catch the Corona virus, or I could get killed going to work in a car accident, but I make my own choice and I alone am responsible for the outcome. So, if coaches and players want to go June 1st or this fall, let them go. Those who don't feel safe can stay home, it's there choice. No one self quarantining is going to be infected by people choosing to go on with their life, it's pretty hard to infect someone who is locked at home. LOL . Life is a risk. ;) I know I know, some here will think I am uncaring, or insensitive, so have at it. ;)

Spot on. Couldn’t agree more. Healthy young men want football to be there distraction from this and if I was still playing, I’d want to get to IC and be with my teammates to start preparing for the upcoming season.

Spot on. Couldn’t agree more. Healthy young men want football to be there distraction from this and if I was still playing, I’d want to get to IC and be with my teammates to start preparing for the upcoming season.
I come from a military family, my sister did 24 in the Navy, my son and I served in the USAF, so I equate these 18-21 year old kids to the kids joining the military. Enlistment is optional, and each and every kid that joins knows when they enlist that they could be called to battle at any time. So, I am all for personal choice on both sides. If someone doesn't feel safe, stay home, but let the others go on with their lives if they so choose. It seems to also depend on which news people watch as to how bad the virus is. One network makes it out to be the plague, while another says the death rate is vastly overblown. Anyway, let the people decide, not the government. ;) So if all the teams in the BiG want to play, and their players want to play, let them sign waivers and play.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
I would say the state of OK has demonstrated a whole hell of a lot more of the values I was raised with in Bettendorf than the state of IA lately. Rather cheap shot at the whole state in your opening sentence.
Settle down, I live in Missouri and it was just a little good-natured ribbing of our neighbor state. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I come from a military family, my sister did 24 in the Navy, my son and I served in the USAF, so I equate these 18-21 year old kids to the kids joining the military. Enlistment is optional, and each and every kid that joins knows when they enlist that they could be called to battle at any time. So, I am all for personal choice on both sides. If someone doesn't feel safe, stay home, but let the others go on with their lives if they so choose. It seems to also depend on which news people watch as to how bad the virus is. One network makes it out to be the plague, while another says the death rate is vastly overblown. Anyway, let the people decide, not the government. ;) So if all the teams in the BiG want to play, and their players want to play, let them sign waivers and play.
Thank you for your family members and your service to our country! A friend of mine who did over 30 yr’s as a US Marine (elite sniper shooting unit..said one of 12 selected) who is connected “in the know” (said had to move several times because of his rank/intel under previous administrations ie NSA) ..not joking. Told me yesterday a friend of his in CA committed suicide 2 wk’s ago (informed by deseased man’s mom) that his “death certificate” was marked as covid 19, that the hospital was receiving $: $19 K if death certificate had covid 19 and $39 K if patient had both covid 19 & on was on a ventilator. I need to ask him again (I forgot what he said) but there’s another specific criteria where the hospital is getting $100 K! Said Bill Gates is trying to come out with a vaccine, said in all actuality it’s unlikely to pass for consumer use however if it does..stay as far from it as possible! Said he doesn’t care about you nor I but the return $ on his team’s experiment. Said yes NYC/NJ, San Francisco, Seattle and other metropolitan ares that were points of destination from & to China were affected however most of america not the case. Said majority of deaths are: direct contact with someone “compromised”, someone with pre conditions and or elderly. Said the numbers being reported by WHO & CDC have been inflated! Just thought i’d share some perspective on reality not politics!

Can you imagine how great it would be if we lived in a free society where grown adults could make their own decisions to work or play sports despite whatever risk without government interference? I mean, at this point CTE is many times as dangerous to healthy 18-22 year olds as COVID, maybe the government should just ban athletics forever. Maybe we should all hide in our houses depending on government scraps to survive until no-one ever dies of anything again.

Thank you for your family members and your service to our country! A friend of mine who did over 30 yr’s as a US Marine (elite sniper shooting unit..said one of 12 selected) who is connected “in the know” (said had to move several times because of his rank/intel under previous administrations ie NSA) ..not joking. Told me yesterday a friend of his in CA committed suicide 2 wk’s ago (informed by deseased man’s mom) that his “death certificate” was marked as covid 19, that the hospital was receiving $: $19 K if death certificate had covid 19 and $39 K if patient had both covid 19 & on was on a ventilator. I need to ask him again (I forgot what he said) but there’s another specific criteria where the hospital is getting $100 K! Said Bill Gates is trying to come out with a vaccine, said in all actuality it’s unlikely to pass for consumer use however if it does..stay as far from it as possible! Said he doesn’t care about you nor I but the return $ on his team’s experiment. Said yes NYC/NJ, San Francisco, Seattle and other metropolitan ares that were points of destination from & to China were affected however most of america not the case. Said majority of deaths are: direct contact with someone “compromised”, someone with pre conditions and or elderly. Said the numbers being reported by WHO & CDC have been inflated! Just thought i’d share some perspective on reality not politics!
Your source is completely accurate, number are grossly inflated, the state of Colorado admitted it today and had to revise death numbers. It’s a money grab for federal dollars.

Your source is completely accurate, number are grossly inflated, the state of Colorado admitted it today and had to revise death numbers. It’s a money grab for federal dollars.
Yes thank you. What’s sad is some others either won’t believe because they only buy into mainstream media (for the most part excluding Fox) or it goes against their political agenda!?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
EXACTLY!

So much bullcrap in this thread it makes me sick. Those of you passing along this crap should be ashamed. Thank GOD the majority of posters on this site know that you are fill of shit.

Reactions: nelly02
So much bullcrap in this thread it makes me sick. Those of you passing along this crap should be ashamed. Thank GOD the majority of posters on this site know that you are fill of shit.
Please explain yourself?

Well, since you are scared you have every right to stay inside your house and hide. Every other adult should be able to make decisions for themselves, if they want to live their lives you have no right to overrule them.
I am not doing that. You are trying to force others to do your bidding by making them play sports or work with the public.

Please explain yourself?
He can’t, he believes what he’s told despite all evidence that is clearly pointing
I am not doing that. You are trying to force others to do your bidding by making them play sports or work with the public.
How? By supporting people’s right to make their own decisions? Ok...... stay in your basement. It’s safe there.

Lots of "so and so's brother who is connected...", etc. There is enough GOOD information out there that is counter to this innuendo. Anyone with a brain knows this is crap. That's it for me.
GOOD infto like Colorado ADMITING they were fudging COVID numbers and then going back and reducing them by 30%? Or that if you look at the statistics by age if your under 65 years old the odds of COVID being fatal is about 0.05%, basically the same as type A flu? Come on BB! What you got? Give me some real numbers and facts, not your weak feelings.

Last edited:
Lots of "so and so's brother who is connected...", etc. There is enough GOOD information out there that is counter to this innuendo. Anyone with a brain knows this is crap. That's it for me.
My response is with all due respect because 1.) I don’t know you from Adam, 2.) people have different beliefs based on their life experiences & endocrination however at some point our GOD given conscience (which we all have) will surface to warn us right from wrong..truth vs lie!? Where do you get your info..is it cnn, msnbc? Unfortunately your reply tells me your content in following the status que avoiding truth. In due time we’ll all see the truth (maybe even “mainstream” media will cover) believe me this pandemic is NOT about covid 19..there’s a darker script occurring. My buddy/friend has done 30 yr’s in special military environment few could even imagine, choosing to sacrifice his life (along with many others). Now my source who I see about every day, did not have to share any info..actually he keeps a lot to himself but for whatever reason opened up! I don’t care if you believe me or not because in time the truth will be known by all! Take care my friend..God bless.

GOOD infto like Colorado ADMITING they were fudging COVID numbers and then going back and reducing them by 30%? Or that if you look at the statistics by age if your under 65 years old the odds of COVID being fatal is about 0.05%, basically the same as type A flu? Come on BB! What you got? Give me some real numbers and facts, not your weak feelings.
Try Snopes. They are pretty reliable for dispelling bullcrap info.

This is just regurgitating QAnon bullshit. Just google it and you'll see what I mean. Same old same old. I can't believe some of you are so gullible as to fall for this over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
That’s some high level conspiracy misinformation.

Try Snopes. They are pretty reliable for dispelling bullcrap info.

This is just regurgitating QAnon bullshit. Just google it and you'll see what I mean. Same old same old. I can't believe some of you are so gullible as to fall for this over and over again.
I ask for real numbers and stats to support your statements and the best you can do is reference Snopes? You can’t even make an articulate argument.

I have a suggestion. Let's try to stick to sports from now on. I am going to follow this and ignore the noise that is covering up the sports conversation. I hope we see Fall football but I will understand if it isn't possible.

It would be ridiculous to not have fall football. At the very least include no fans. The average age of covid related death is in the early 80s. Most states now have over 50% of deaths occurring in nursing homes, not including nursing home patients dying at the hospital.

The comment about Colorado was essentially true. The state did revise down their numbers by 20%, after review finding many weren't caused by covid. The democrat governor spoke to that this weekend, stating that the CDC numbers were well overstated in his state.

The risk for a college age athlete dying from covid is less than car accidents or drowning.

Last edited:
It would be ridiculous to not have fall football. At the very least include no fans. The average age of covid related death is in the early 80s. Most states now have over 50% of deaths occurring in nursing homes, not including nursing home patients dying at the hospital.

The comment about Colorado was essentially true. The state did revise down their numbers by 20%, after review finding many weren't caused by covid. The democrat governor spoke to that this weekend, stating that the CDC numbers were well overstated in his state.

The risk for a college age athlete dying from covid is less than car accidents or drowning.
But that’s not the main issue at all. The main issue is whether you can keep playing football and contain the spread of COVID to those who are at a MUCH higher risk of dying. Personally, I think it can be done with caution, but let’s not confuse the mortality rate of 20 year old healthy adults with the real risk of spreading the disease to the over 50 crowd, where the mortality rates are much higher.

Also, there have been some concerning non lethal complications developing in the younger crowd: strokes, heart and kidney failure.

And there can be no question that COVID19 deaths have been, on the whole, vastly undercounted as opposed to over counted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT