ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma football player Spencer Jones gets his ass beat in

I realize it's all fun and games watching somebody get their ass whooped but there are some real teaching moments here. Like the story in the post above about the big guy accidentally killing somebody in a fight and going to prison. If you are trained in combat sports and know you can handle yourself and probably have the upper hand in an altercation, just because you can whoop ass doesn't mean you should do it. In fact, it's probably more your responsibility to avoid conflict because of what you are capable of doing.

It's your right to defend yourself if someone assaults you. Oklahoma has a stand your ground law. Jones is lucky he wasn't killed.

It's your right to defend yourself if someone assaults you. Oklahoma has a stand your ground law. Jones is lucky he wasn't killed.
Show me the assault he was responding to. You mean that little shove on the shoulder that the other guy gave? Yeah, good luck with that. Like the video shows, there was no imminent threat, could have retreated to the exit, oh, and he ended up knocking out and crushing the face of the wrong guy. Hope he enjoys prison.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Show me the assault he was responding to. You mean that little shove on the shoulder that the other guy gave? Yeah, good luck with that. Like the video shows, there was no imminent threat, could have retreated to the exit, oh, and he ended up knocking out and crushing the face of the wrong guy. Hope he enjoys prison.

How do YOU measure the force required for an assault? What standard do YOU use, and how would you apply it in a situation like that?

Don't you know that Finance85 is from the mean streets? He doesn't think laws actually apply here. Just whatever sandbox rules he wants to have.

You must have access to more video than what I saw. I didn't see the exit to confirm it was a retreatable option or what occurred earlier that caused the bloody nose.

And just to clear things up medically, I suspect that the “injury requiring surgery that almost cost him his eye” was an orbital floor fracture. Otherwise called a blowout fracture and most commonly results from a punch to the face.

While to say he almost lost his eye is accurate, if he had what I suspect he did, that chance was very low. They mention repairing his orbit which nearly confirms my suspicions.

The chance of losing the eye all depends on what his globe(eye) looked like. I suspect it was just fine. Now to be more clear, these kinda injuries can be serious though as they can result in what’s called a dysconjugate gaze and if the orbital wall is not repaired it can result in double vision. Which for a kick holder would be ‘career’ ending.

So seems he made a bad choice.

Last edited:
Now I really don't believe it. If it was Ed Horton that would have been the Royce Alger, Rico Chiparelli, Marty Kistler, Brad Penrith, and Kevin Dresser, and Duane GoldMan Years. I don't see Ed Horton intimidating Alger, GOldman, and Kisler. If it was off season Goldman (who was National Champ) weighed around 215. I knew Alger..he was batshit crazy...no way he'd back down. I don't believe the story. The Iowa wrestlers, especially in those years, were quite trouble. I'm not saying Ed Horton wouldn't hold his own. But I am convinced those wrestlers in that time period would never back down. Goldman would have Horton in an arm-bar in about 15 seconds. Not buying it.
Well there was the time Alger tried legit MMA
and got his elbow broke so…..

You continue to falsely insinuate that the video starts at the beginning of the encounter. The dude already has a bloody nose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
The irony is your statement here also applies to the MMA trained guys. In fact, it's like I have to quote SpiderMan here, "with great power comes great responsibility." The simple fact these guys were trained in combat sports means they shoulder a greater burden of responsibility here.

Do I think the OSU football players got what was coming to them? Yes, maybe. The comeuppance was pleasing to witness but then it quickly crossed the line. That second dude got his head supplexed into the wall, you could see his body go limp and the guy was on top of him just pummeling his head as the video cut out. That guy was totally defenseless and was getting his face beat in. The first guy wasn't even the one hit initiated contact with shove and was was struck with blows to the head first, taken down, choked out, and pummeled to the head.

All I'm saying is that from a legal perspective what happened here was felony assault and it is all on camera. The MMA guys were trained in combat and knew going into the altercation what they were capable of doing. They had access to the door and could have retreated. Instead they ask which guy do you want and start the attack. Then, once gaining the upper hand in the fight, continue to inflict harm on opponents who were rendered defenseless.

You can say those guys got the ass whooping they deserved. Probably. But we live in a civilized society with laws. Those MMA guys aren't just going to go to county jail, they'll be going to state prison for up to 10 years once the DA is done with them.
This is so wrong it’s embarrassing. So the football players aren’t trained in combat? You serious? What is football if not combat?

Read up on stand your ground. Then come back.

You continue to falsely insinuate that the video starts at the beginning. The dude already has a bloody nose.

And morons like you seem to keep ignoring the guy who received the first punches did not touch anyone else first. Jail time MMA douchers.

And morons like you seem to keep ignoring the guy who received the first punches did not touch anyone else first. Jail time MMA douchers.

How do you know what happened before that video started recording?? You have no clue if your statement is true or not.

How do you know what happened before that video started recording?? You have no clue if your statement is true or not.

With all the evidence we have, ball holder didn't hit anyone first. Keep making up whatever you want to make yourself feel better.

This is so wrong it’s embarrassing. So the football players aren’t trained in combat? You serious? What is football if not combat?

I was a defensive end in college. Pass rush was my specialty, crushing QBs was my passion.

I was not in any shape or form trained in combat.

I was a pretty big scary dude. I would have gotten my ass kicked by the vast majority of people who actually knew how to fight.

Plus this guy was a WR and placeholder.

With all the evidence we have, ball holder didn't hit anyone first. Keep making up whatever you want to make yourself feel better.
Based on what we have seen, his friend made first contact. MMA was looking away when pushed so he probably believed it was him. Justifiable conclusion in my book.

And we only have a fraction of the evidence, dipshit. Your definitive statements make you a fool.

Do I know if fb guy hit anybody first? No.

Do you know that he didn’t? No.

Reactions: torbee
Jebus. 7 pages now debating this. Someone needs to start a poll on predicted legal consequences to the two hobbits, if any.

You're wrong. There was a threat, the FB guy in his face and then you don't put your hands on another person. The FB players showed no sign of retreating and the shove is a sign of being aggressive. There's no way he's going to prison. The DA will stay out of it and let them "fight" it out with lawsuits. In the end it will be nothing but a learning experience for both.

Reactions: Chuck C and ghost80
I was a defensive end in college. Pass rush was my specialty, crushing QBs was my passion.

I was not in any shape or form trained in combat.

I was a pretty big scary dude. I would have gotten my ass kicked by the vast majority of people who actually knew how to fight.

Plus this guy was a WR and placeholder.
Sure but to pretend that the football player is going to successfully argue in court that he was outmatched seems kind of silly. Of course this is Oklahoma football so there’s that.

Reactions: SB_SB
And we only have a fraction of the evidence, dipshit. Your definitive statements make you a fool.

Do I know if fb guy hit anybody first? No.

Do you know that he didn’t? No.

I would say we have a large majority of the evidence. Sorry you sucked so bad at football that you are apparently jealous of a D1 ball holder. I wAs A big ScArY DE durrrrr

I would say we have a large majority of the evidence. Sorry you sucked so bad at football that you are apparently jealous of a D1 ball holder. I wAs A big ScArY DE durrrrr

Then please explain why the guy starts with a bloody nose before kicking that other guy’s ass.

And just to clear things up medically, I suspect that the “injury requiring surgery that almost cost him his eye” was an orbital floor fracture. Otherwise called a blowout fracture and most commonly results from a punch to the face.

While to say he almost lost his eye is accurate, if he had what I suspect he did, that chance was very low. They mention repairing his orbit which nearly confirms my suspicions.

The chance of losing the eye all depends on what his globe(eye) looked like. I suspect it was just fine. Now to be more clear, these kinda injuries can be serious though as they can result in what’s called a dysconjugate gaze and if the orbital wall is not repaired it can result in double vision. Which for a kick holder would be ‘career’ ending.

So seems he made a bad choice.
Consider who made that claim: His attorney.

Jebus. 7 pages now debating this. Someone needs to start a poll on predicted legal consequences to the two hobbits, if any.
My prediction is they get charged with Aggravated Assault & Battery due to the extent of the injuries inflicted. Will be looking at up to 5 years in prison and/or a fine. Probably end up pleading down but that will be up to the DA. This has gotten very public and the video is pretty graphic. A DA might see no reason to take a plea.

Here's the statute. I've highlighted the relevant parts.

§21-646. Aggravated assault and battery defined. A. An assault and battery becomes aggravated when committed under any of the following circumstances: Oklahoma Statutes - Title 21. Crimes and Punishments Page 165 1. When great bodily injury is inflicted upon the person assaulted; or 2. When committed by a person of robust health or strength upon one who is aged, decrepit, or incapacitated, as defined in Section 641 of this title. B. For purposes of this section “great bodily injury” means bone fracture, protracted and obvious disfigurement, protracted loss or impairment of the function of a body part, organ or mental faculty, or substantial risk of death.

Also, below is the self-defense statute.

§21-643. Force against another not unlawful, when - Self-defense - Defense of property.

3. When committed either by the person about to be injured, or by any other person in such person's aid or defense, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against such person, or any trespass or other unlawful interference with real or personal property in such person's lawful possession; provided the force or violence used is not more than sufficient to prevent such offense;

While to say he almost lost his eye is accurate, if he had what I suspect he did, that chance was very low. They mention repairing his orbit which nearly confirms my suspicions
Nearly lost his eye is what the attorney said. He had the procedure done in an outpatient center. I have not idea what happened because I saw a single video clip. We have no idea what transpired before the fight. The correct thing to do in this situation is to simply walk away. Even if provoked..walk away. If it was a sucker punch then the guy will likely get in trouble. He aint going to prison...might serve jail time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT