ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Valentine AP POY over Hield

EZ2BJZ

HR All-American
Feb 28, 2002
Anyone else surprised? I am.

Not that I think Valentine is undeserving. It's just, IMO, there was no one who came close to what Buddy Hield did this year.

Reactions: Tunadog
Don't you mean Denzel Washington? ;)
denzel-washington-ap-tweet1.png

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/mich...ngton-not-denzel-valentine-player-of-the-year

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
I'm not surprised by it.. All hield did was get buckets.. Valentine average 5 more assist a game and 2 rebounds., so voters look to see if a guy was a great team player or a ball hog..

If you take either off the team, both teams aren't going to be especially good (well maybe MSU fares better off, and makes their usual 7 seed final four run). But I agree Hield did so much more. He was almost as effective as Curry was at Davidson.

I have no problem with Valentine, but would have no problem with Hield either. Counting the buckets from assists, Valentine generated more scoring and rebounded better. Shooting percentages are slight edge to Hield, but very close. Teams were obviously very close in overall season performance, with the crazy upset tainting the Spartans.

Valentine 19.2 ppg, 7.5 rebs, 7.8 assists, 46% FG, 85% FT, 44% 3ptFG
Hield 25.4 ppg, 5.7 rebs, 2.0 assists, 50% FG, 88% FT, 46% 3ptFG

Most votes were likely cast before post season?

When MSU was talked about being a likely 1 seed and even overall 1 seed, very few at that point would have had a problem with DV over BH.

It's convenient to now say they got it wrong following MSU imploding vs MTSU. I have no problem with DV winning it when you consider full context.

Also, you got to see what impact DV and his absence had on MSU during the season.

Reactions: Clifford C. Clavin
Anyone else surprised? I am.

Not that I think Valentine is undeserving. It's just, IMO, there was no one who came close to what Buddy Hield did this year.
That's ridiculous. But then again, the AP coach of the year is Self, so there's that; I'll be a bit surprised if he's the Big XII COY.

That's ridiculous. But then again, the AP coach of the year is Self, so there's that; I'll be a bit surprised if he's the Big XII COY.

He wasn't. That went to Tubby Smith whose team finished 7th but went to the dance. It's called doing more with less and I was surprised the vote went that way......usually goes to the league champion coach.

Most votes were likely cast before post season?

When MSU was talked about being a likely 1 seed and even overall 1 seed, very few at that point would have had a problem with DV over BH.

It's convenient to now say they got it wrong following MSU imploding vs MTSU. I have no problem with DV winning it when you consider full context.

Also, you got to see what impact DV and his absence had on MSU during the season.

Exactly. I don't know how you can compare seasons (just compare their stats) and have a problem with this either way it went. Very even. Probably slight edge to Valentine statistically.

He wasn't. That went to Tubby Smith whose team finished 7th but went to the dance. It's called doing more with less and I was surprised the vote went that way......usually goes to the league champion coach.
I understand the doing more with less, but part of being a good coach is being able to recruit more than less. Other than a team making a huge turnaround from the prior year or having a great year despite uncontrollable things like injuries, etc., the coach who wins the title should most often be the coach of the year imo. I'm not a KU fan, but I'd have no problem with Self being the big 12 coach of the year the last 12 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT