ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Grades

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
125- A+ good fall. Lee is good on top. Not a whole lot we didn’t already know here.
133- C Glynn was pretty outmatched here and never came close to finishing but his motor was there in the third and he rode him pretty good. He needs to find some offense, but I wasn’t completely discouraged by this match.
141- B Turk showed a lot of fight. If he could do what he does in the first 20 seconds of each match for longer he would easily be the starter. He still needs a lot of work on bottom but he impressed me with how close the score was. Ref seemed pretty quick on the homer side for stall calls in this match.
149- B+ Sorensen didn’t look bad at all but didn’t hardly take a shot. You aren’t gonna beat Zain if you don’t shoot to score. This grade may be influenced by what I saw him do in the dual last year as a comparison.
157- B Kem looked slow and unimpressive here. This should’ve been 5 or 6. Micah teched this clown. Somebody said Kem might not have gone today so maybe he was feeling a little stuffy or his knee was sore. Idk.
165- A+ looks like I was right in my poll earlier for first loss! Bull came out composed and never let the deficit phase him. Bull looked good.
174- F Gunther’s first ranked opponent and he wasn’t prepared. Only get to grade what I see. If he got cradled in the 3rd it might not have been an F but the :30 we got to see wasn’t good.
184- F belly out man. Should have been out there to limit bonus. See 174. Although I was expecting 6 so not as disappointed.
197- D- Wilcke quit. He’s regressing to the mean like I said last week. Had no fight in this match. Didn’t get pinned at least. Upped his grade from F
285- C- Stoll didn’t wrestle very well at all. Down 1 and no shot?! What’s the difference between losing by 1 or 3? Didn’t try to get any body locks. Not sure what he was doing in neutral. Even that shot wasn’t his and he didn’t try to finish very well.

Ref was bad from 125-157 but I thought he was just fine after intermission.

Great- Lee, Marinelli
Good- Turk, Kem
OK- Glynn, BS, Stoll
Bad- Gunther, Bowman, Wilcke

I need a beer(S) after watching that junk.

HOW DO YOU NOT RECRUIT 133 & 174?!?!?!?!

How do you not have a lil heart at 97? Sorry Cash but you’re too talented for that level of effort.

Reactions: Czech Hawk
Lee - A+, When one thing didn't work, he used something else.
Glynn - C, Outmatched.
Turk - B, Showed some fight, got that last take down.
Sorenson - B, Kept Zain from his first bonus point match.
Kemerer - B+, I think he looked tentative, maybe due to health. Was that knee brace bigger?
Marinelli - A, Yes, probably A+, but scored off of Joseph's bad move, taken down multiple times, but excellent fundamentals! I know he wouldn't give himself A+.
Gunther - F, Don't be a moron and get pinned by a cradle.
Bowman - F, Don't be a moron and get pinned by a cradle from Bo.
Wilcke - F-, No guts. Got taken down under 10 seconds for the major. Why on God's earth would I want to watch him at 184 next year? Give me a reason. And "It's better than watching Bowman" is not acceptable.
Stoll - D, Pull the accursed leg in and don't go to your gut.

Lee - A+, When one thing didn't work, he used something else.
Gunther C, Outmatched.
Turk - B, Showed some fight, got that last take down.
Sorenson - B, Kept Zain from his first bonus point match.
Kemerer - B+, I think he looked tentative, maybe due to health. Was that knee brace bigger?
Marinelli - A, Yes, probably A+, but scored off of Joseph's bad move, taken down multiple times, but excellent fundamentals! I know he wouldn't give himself A+.
Wilcke - F-, No guts. Got taken down under 10 seconds for the major. Why on God's earth would I want to watch him at 184 next year? Give me a reason. And "It's better than watching Bowman" is not acceptable.
Stoll - D, Pull the accursed leg in and don't go to your gut.
I know you meant Glynn at 133, but I agree with your views.

125- A+ good fall. Lee is good on top. Not a whole lot we didn’t already know here.
133- C Glynn was pretty outmatched here and never came close to finishing but his motor was there in the third and he rode him pretty good. He needs to find some offense, but I wasn’t completely discouraged by this match.
141- B Turk showed a lot of fight. If he could do what he does in the first 20 seconds of each match for longer he would easily be the starter. He still needs a lot of work on bottom but he impressed me with how close the score was. Ref seemed pretty quick on the homer side for stall calls in this match.
149- B+ Sorensen didn’t look bad at all but didn’t hardly take a shot. You aren’t gonna beat Zain if you don’t shoot to score. This grade may be influenced by what I saw him do in the dual last year as a comparison.
157- B Kem looked slow and unimpressive here. This should’ve been 5 or 6. Micah teched this clown. Somebody said Kem might not have gone today so maybe he was feeling a little stuffy or his knee was sore. Idk.
165- A+ looks like I was right in my poll earlier for first loss! Bull came out composed and never let the deficit phase him. Bull looked good.
174- F Gunther’s first ranked opponent and he wasn’t prepared. Only get to grade what I see. If he got cradled in the 3rd it might not have been an F but the :30 we got to see wasn’t good.
184- F belly out man. Should have been out there to limit bonus. See 174. Although I was expecting 6 so not as disappointed.
197- D- Wilcke quit. He’s regressing to the mean like I said last week. Had no fight in this match. Didn’t get pinned at least. Upped his grade from F
285- C- Stoll didn’t wrestle very well at all. Down 1 and no shot?! What’s the difference between losing by 1 or 3? Didn’t try to get any body locks. Not sure what he was doing in neutral. Even that shot wasn’t his and he didn’t try to finish very well.

Great- Lee, Marinelli
Good- Turk, Kem
OK- Glynn, BS, Stoll
National championship for Iowa

125: A - he's good
133: D - we're outmatched... by Cory Keener
141: B - good effort; F to Brands for not going with Happel. Turk does not have the skill set to score us points
149: C - when he explodes off bottom he got out. The other times he didn't and got ridden.
157: C - major is weak at that spot
165: A - I felt he was the better wrestler prior to the big move, just got caught. The finish proves it.
174: C - whatever, it's Hall; I agree going with Gunther
184: C - whatever, it's Nickal
197: D - pull the shirt
HWT: C - Stoll is just too limited offensively

My only changes are
Glynn a C+. I think he beats Keener in a rematch.
Sorensen C+. Gotta shoot to score. He’s better than he show tonight.
Kem gets a B-. A tech could have been had easily. I see no reason to ride him when he never was close to turning him the whole match.

125- A+ Nasty!

133- C+ Glynn tries hard but he just does not have any one area in his game that gives you hope for wins. Average on top and bottom, can get to a leg but can't finish. Has no turns or big moves.

141- B, he compteted. He took a highly favored guy down 2x.

149- B due to toughness of opponent and the fact he was the only one to hold him to a decision all year.

157- B Have to get 5 or 6 there.

165- A Great job competing the whole match and making his own break.

174- F This is not Jr. high and high school where people should be getting pinned in cross face cradles that easy.

184- F See 174

197- D Wilke not competing, just in survivor mode. The last TD was pathetic. If you are in the lineup you better compete!

285- This is the match to complain about Stoll for all the dip sticks who were complaining earlier this year with no clue. He should not be losing to Nevils. Not sure why he flopped to his belly when he had the leg. Not sure where his lock was. Not sure what the hell his plan was. He self critiqued about looking bad vs Coon. Sammy this was absolutely a way worse look that that.

I cannot give Lee an A for that match.

As a fan I would much prefer him to play with his food before he eats it. I hardly got to enjoy that. In addition, we fans got no additional info on his 3rd period issues. Should we be concerned or not? What are we to discuss RE Lee until his next match. Lee is awesome. Everybody agrees. Next thread. Color me disappointed.

125- A+ Nasty!

133- C+ Glynn tries hard but he just does not have any one area in his game that gives you hope for wins. Average on top and bottom, can get to a leg but can't finish. Has no turns or big moves.

141- B, he compteted. He took a highly favored guy down 2x.

149- B due to toughness of opponent and the fact he was the only one to hold him to a decision all year.

157- B Have to get 5 or 6 there.

165- A Great job competing the whole match and making his own break.

174- F This is not Jr. high and high school where people should be getting pinned in cross face cradles that easy.

184- F See 174

197- D Wilke not competing, just in survivor mode. The last TD was pathetic. If you are in the lineup you better compete!

285- This is the match to complain about Stoll for all the dip sticks who were complaining earlier this year with no clue. He should not be losing to Nevils. Not sure why he flopped to his belly when he had the leg. Not sure where his lock was. Not sure what the hell his plan was. He self critiqued about looking bad vs Coon. Sammy this was absolutely a way worse look that that.
Best grades I've seen.

Reactions: Exo

Great- Lee, Marinelli
Good- Turk, Kem
OK- Glynn, BS, Stoll

Great point about the ref. When he called the potentially dangerous on Lee the announcers were both in shock. I thought, OMG, it's going to be a long night with this guy. But like you said, I thought he settled in and did a good job.

125: A. Looked great and didn't dick around at all...serious business!
133: C. Not much to comment on...our guy just looked outclassed. Like LAX said, good motor, but just not enough game. This weight worries me going forward next year and maybe beyond...we've got nothing (unless perhaps Murin can get skinny).
141: B. Most offense I've seen from Turk. If he was like that every match I would think he would be the starter all year.
149: B. Good defense when Zain was trying to turn him but no offense. It was almost like he had his marching orders to move around a lot, smack Zain in the head whenever possible, and don't get turned.
157: C. Thought Kem never showed a sense of urgency at all. Perhaps he was under the weather as he just didn't look like himself. Most of the time when he knows he can dominate his opponent he shoots, releases, shoots, releases, and somewhere along the way feigns a release and attempts a turn. Tonight it was shoot, ride for a while, shoot, ride for a while. He never looked like a TF or pin was even a consideration.
165. A. This was the upset that I predicted, but I certainly didn't think it would go like this. I bet Joseph never tries one of those body to body power throws on Alex again. Good to see Alex get this win. He's slowly climbed the rankings and now I'm curious to see if any of the rankings will put him in front of IMAR...
174: F. Looked like he got used to Kaleb Young going in against the big dogs, with Gunther taking on the 2nd tier guys, and tonight Gunther acted like he was up against a 2nd tier guy and got his ass handed to him quick. Wish Young could gain some weight so he could be more competitive and become the guy at 74.
184: F. It's almost like he twisted his body in the correct fashion for Bo to get the cradle. I mean that seemed way too easy. I expected the pin, but not in 47 seconds.
197: F. He hasn't looked good since the Midlands. No offense and no attitude. I think he's got the goods, but he isn't bringing the goods to these duals. I'm predicting 3 wins at NCAAs, one in the championship bracket and two in the consolation bracket. He's really got to find his offense and quit waiting around for the other guy to push the action.
285: C/D. Still looks flat, which is why I predicted he would lose. At the Midlands he almost MD'd Jennings; last week he didn't even get a TD against the guy. And against Coon, Tanner Hall, Derek White, and then Nevills tonight, he just looked flat...not a lot of energy, not a lot of attitude, etc. Perhaps he's playing it safe and waiting until March to let it fly...I'm not sure. But he just doesn't seem to be himself. If he keeps this "play it safe, keep it close" game, I could see him finishing 6th or 7th in the B10s and putting himself in a bad position WRT the NCAA brackets. He needs to start taking some risks and finding that offense. Zero TDs in 3 of his last 4 outings...not good.

Reactions: gprsox and IAROY
Critics D-.

Well if we don't critique and discuss our team and our wrestlers, what the hell should we do with this forum? If we want to talk about how awesome our families are or what we made little Johnny and Suzie for dinner tonight we go to Facebook, but if we want to talk Iowa wrestling, we come here. So here we are discussing and critiquing our Iowa Hawkeyes. :)

Great- Lee, Marinelli
Good- Turk, Kem
OK- Glynn, BS, Stoll
Still too kind. More like A-F-F-C-B-A-F-F-F-C.

Reactions: BrittleBoned
I'm surprised people graded Turk as high as they did. He can't wrestle hard for 7 minutes. He's a poor mat wrestler, has one shot and has poor defense from his feet. He was lucky not to get majored. I don't think happel is necessarily the answer but at this point I would go with him him over Turk

Last edited:
I need a beer(S) after watching that junk.

HOW DO YOU NOT RECRUIT 133 & 174?!?!?!?!

How do you not have a lil heart at 97? Sorry Cash but you’re too talented for that level of effort.
We’ve recruited 133. You know the story. Gross, Teasdale, Renteria. Minus some big-time bad breaks, we have a stud at 33.

2 cents-
I would give Turk a little lower then most just because I think he should have won.
I hope Brandon just lets it all hang out in March.
I do believe Kemdog is not 100% and is holding back he is going to shock us at Natty’s
Anyone giving Lee or Da Bull less than A+ is a Moran..:cool:
I like Sam a lot I think he can beat anyone not named Snyder but he has got to go get it.
The rest no comment.

It’s pretty clear, neither Gunther or Bowman are the answer for next year. Wilcke - he needs get that burning desire to win. He has the talent, just lacking the trigger and urgency. I hope it’s not heart - if so .. that sucks bad

Reactions: gprsox
In my unqualified opinion, I think the most biggest disappointment of the night was 285. I understand it's a whole different sport up at that weight but we didn't even attempt an offensive move in the last 30" while losing.

We will unequivocally be relying on him in March and outside of getting lucky at Midlands vs Hall I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe he will finish as high as many predict. Right now low end AA seems accurate.

In my unqualified opinion, I think the most biggest disappointment of the night was 285. I understand it's a whole different sport up at that weight but we didn't even attempt an offensive move in the last 30" while losing.

We will unequivocally be relying on him in March and outside of getting lucky at Midlands vs Hall I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe he will finish as high as many predict. Right now low end AA seems accurate.
Boring as hell match.

You guys are being too hard on Cash. He's one of the few that went the distance with Rasheed this year.
I think with Cash it’s been more about his demeanor on the mat and what appears to be a lack of self-confidence. Although (in my humble opinion he’s undersized and would fit better at 184) I don’t question his physical ability, I simply wish he would “let the fur fly” so to speak and go out and wrestle with confidence. I think his biggest hurdle is mental and that is often revealed on the mat.

I wasn’t disappointed with him losing last night. I was frustrated that he appeared to concede the match when the whistle blew.

Just my two cents.

I'm surprised people graded Turk as high as they did. He can't wrestle hard for 7 minutes. He's a poor mat wrestler, has one shot and has poor defense from his feet. He was lucky not to get majored. I don't think happel is necessarily the answer but at this point I would go with him him over Turk
The BTN angle sure made it look like Turk was standing straight up in nuetral. I couldn’t believe how he never bent his knees, like he was trying to bait Lee to shoot and try to dunk him. But I’ve never seen any funk out of him. How can a guy be D1 and not be in a stance that has any defensive positioning?

Reactions: CCAHawkeye
I think with Cash it’s been more about his demeanor on the mat and what appears to be a lack of self-confidence. Although (in my humble opinion he’s undersized and would fit better at 184) I don’t question his physical ability, I simply wish he would “let the fur fly” so to speak and go out and wrestle with confidence. I think his biggest hurdle is mental and that is often revealed on the mat.

I wasn’t disappointed with him losing last night. I was frustrated that he appeared to concede the match when the whistle blew.

Just my two cents.
And I think a lot of the confidence issues relate to the fact that he knows he's an undersized 197. His insufficient size for 197 is glaringly obvious.

Reactions: shobart
IF we have a bona-fide AA at 184 already, Iowa doesn't sniff Pat Downey. That relationship dies at the first phone call.

That's the biggest problem, IMO.

Maybe we do/did with Wilke. Pull the shirt on Warner and let him have his growning pains an by March he is rolling with the likes of Rasheed.

Just my two cents.

Cash looked scared of Shak, kind of comical. But then again I was scared of his cradle just watching on BTN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT