ADVERTISEMENT

questioning Beth Goetz's decision to fire the OC

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
I have a question for y'all. I think it is safe to say almost everyone agrees we need a new offensive coordinator to improve not only this stagnant offense but to improve our recruiting. I think Beth's firing of Brian mid-season may have been a knee jerk reaction. The firing of Brian is easy, a good athletic director would have an action plan in place for the overall improvement for Iowa football which is difficult. In my opinion, if we don't have a new OC this month, the mid season firing ( or making it public) doesn't make sense. Iowa, unlike Nebraska has the whole month of December to practice. Would a good athletic director waste all the valuable practices in December running the same stagnant offensive system with a offensive coordinator who will not be there next year? I think if there is a mid-season fire a good athletic director would have taken the steps to use this valuable to start implementing a new offense unless a new offensive scheme can just be learned during spring ball. I guess my point is, I believe we judge Beth's performance on her action plan to replace Brian rather then just the firing of Brian. The firing of Brian was easy, let's see how good Beth is at the difficult part of her job. I hope she doesn't waste December.

She threw Kirk under the bus with the timing of it. The time to address it was after the last game when Brian's contract was over and stipulations were not met. You then allow Kirk to hire who he wants for next season. As it is now Kirk could and maybe should say see ya to everyone and leave on unfortunate terms.

She threw Kirk under the bus with the timing of it. The time to address it was after the last game when Brian's contract was over and stipulations were not met. You then allow Kirk to hire who he wants for next season. As it is now Kirk could and maybe should say see ya to everyone and leave on unfortunate terms.
That’s 100 percent on Kirk. Don’t give him an out for a situation he created and refused to fix for far too long.

Beth did what she had to.

Kirk was not going to fire his son and there’s a very very strong chance Brian comes back for 2024 playing the “injury” card

Kirk has been around the game long enough to know HE is the one who needs a plan when things go off schedule. Unfortunately we’ve seen how he adapts to change within games playing….he doesn’t.

Kirk will hire from within and it’ll be announced in mid February like other hires

KF threw himself under the bus and his son in front of it

Kirk isnt allowed to hire who he wants for next season?

He is, I worded it wrong. That is the correct time for him to make the hire, on his own.
I guess i dont see how that time for him to make that hire changes by the timing of BF being let go.

Might have a point if Goetz didnt let BF finish out the season, tho

I have a question for y'all. I think it is safe to say almost everyone agrees we need a new offensive coordinator to improve not only this stagnant offense but to improve our recruiting. I think Beth's firing of Brian mid-season may have been a knee jerk reaction. The firing of Brian is easy, a good athletic director would have an action plan in place for the overall improvement for Iowa football which is difficult. In my opinion, if we don't have a new OC this month, the mid season firing ( or making it public) doesn't make sense. Iowa, unlike Nebraska has the whole month of December to practice. Would a good athletic director waste all the valuable practices in December running the same stagnant offensive system with a offensive coordinator who will not be there next year? I think if there is a mid-season fire a good athletic director would have taken the steps to use this valuable to start implementing a new offense unless a new offensive scheme can just be learned during spring ball. I guess my point is, I believe we judge Beth's performance on her action plan to replace Brian rather then just the firing of Brian. The firing of Brian was easy, let's see how good Beth is at the difficult part of her job. I hope she doesn't waste December.
WASTE DECEMBER???!!! Are you kidding, this offense is not going to all of a sudden going to pour out 450 yards in a bowl game unless we get matched up with a no-defense Big 12 team.

I know Kirk is busy but he should already have his new OC "promised" the job but maybe not a contract signed or at the least his few top choices contacted.

Beth did this so that the Kirk could get this done NOW and she may have been pushed to. The athletic dept can reach out to the agents of Kirk's top picks, I suppose the job opening has to be posted, but

NOw it is up to Kirk to get it done. Spring ball and beyond will be the time for the new OC to work

I have a question for y'all. I think it is safe to say almost everyone agrees we need a new offensive coordinator to improve not only this stagnant offense but to improve our recruiting. I think Beth's firing of Brian mid-season may have been a knee jerk reaction. The firing of Brian is easy, a good athletic director would have an action plan in place for the overall improvement for Iowa football which is difficult. In my opinion, if we don't have a new OC this month, the mid season firing ( or making it public) doesn't make sense. Iowa, unlike Nebraska has the whole month of December to practice. Would a good athletic director waste all the valuable practices in December running the same stagnant offensive system with an offensive coordinator who will not be there next year? I think if there is a mid-season fire a good athletic director would have taken the steps to use this valuable to start implementing a new offense unless a new offensive scheme can just be learned during spring ball. I guess my point is, I believe we judge Beth's performance on her action plan to replace Brian rather then just the firing of Brian. The firing of Brian was easy, let's see how good Beth is at the difficult part of her job. I hope she doesn't waste December.
Beth shouldn’t have an action plan to replace Brian. That’s up to the head coach. Beth shouldn’t have had the OC reporting to her. That’s why she said that she didn’t want to be in the position to manage a football assistant coach. It’s done and good for her.

I think if the OC wasn’t the son of the 25-year head coach, Brian would have been told to pack his bags when the announcement was made.

We should have moved on immediately with an interim play-caller. Anyone on staff could have stepped in and performed just as ‘good’

And if she had waited until the team was 10-3 Kirk points to injuries and a great record with an appearance in the championship game. She did the right thing.

Big time college football coaches outgrow the program. They become the program if they are there long enough which is what we have seen at Iowa in both Hayden and Kirk. Great coaches who became bigger than the program and when that happens it is great until it isn't. Once it isn't the problems really become huge because no one will stand up to them. Paterno was the same. Bobby Bowdin. Etc etc etc.

I think if the OC wasn’t the son of the 25-year head coach, Brian would have been told to pack his bags when the announcement was made.

We should have moved on immediately with an interim play-caller. Anyone on staff could have stepped in and performed just as ‘good’
I would agree with that. Fire him then. Why announce and wait until the end of the season?

I would welcome his departure.

Uh, no.
The AD's plan requires rectifying the mess created by her incompetent predecessor. She did that.
The head coach is the one who should have been working on the OC replacement since it was announced that Brian wasn't returning. He's had a long time to do something in that regard. If nothing's been done that's entirely on Kirk.
The one scenario that the AD would need to get involved again is if Kirk doubled down on his nepotistic tendencies and planned to name another family member as the OC. Then she should absolutely step in with a veto.

If KF tries to promote from within, BG has to take the reigns and tell KF they are going national with a search, visit with a list of high level candidates, start with Ryan Grubb (follows by PSU OC that was fired for scoring 37 points a game) with an open check book and freedom to run the offense like Phil has to run the D. Add head coach in waiting status when KF is ready to retire if that’s what it takes to get him to Iowa.

If KF doesn’t like it, he created this offensive mess and can retire anytime he wants. It’s time for the AD to take back control of the football program. Love KF and all he has done for Iowa football but he doesn’t see his failures on the offensive side of the ball and refuses to fix them.

...Kirk has been around the game long enough to know HE is the one who needs a plan when things go off schedule. Unfortunately we’ve seen how he adapts to change within games playing….he doesn’t.

Kirk will hire from within and it’ll be announced in mid February like other hires
That's what we want / need. An OC who recruited a QB (Hill) for a Big10 program and promoted him to KF to transfer here... or one who puts an OL on the field that can't sustain a block, has footwork similiar to the QB, doesn't have a replacement for one OL that false starts 3x in a championship game.......

If KF tries to promote from within, BG has to take the reigns and tell KF they are going national with a search, visit with a list of high level candidates, start with Ryan Grubb (follows by PSU OC that was fired for scoring 37 points a game) with an open check book and freedom to run the offense like Phil has to run the D. Add head coach in waiting status when KF is ready to retire if that’s what it takes to get him to Iowa.

If KF doesn’t like it, he created this offensive mess and can retire anytime he wants. It’s time for the AD to take back control of the football program. Love KF and all he has done for Iowa football but he doesn’t see his failures on the offensive side of the ball and refuses to fix them.
He can pack up his office… or someone can do it for him.. its his choice.

That's what I'm afraid of and I think a good Athletic director would have put a plan in place to ensure that didn't happen

It’s not on her to get the replacement OC, it’s on Kirk. That much was made clear back at the press conference for Brian’s contract not being renewed. If he doesn’t handle the transition well that’s solely on Kirk. No one else.

What action plan does Goetz need? It isn’t her job to find a new OC. It is Kirk’s job!

KF should have already known BF wasn’t coming back next year. Everyone knew that. BG was only doing what everyone wanted her to do then someone leaked it. Blame the staff for how awful the offense is and putting everyone in this situation. Also, blame Barta and other U of I leadership. BG should be the last person getting blame.

Knee jerk??? This is year 3 of pathetic offense. KF has had two years to do his "year end evaluation" and make corrections. He has failed to make any corrections. I think Beth gets kudos on two issues: 1) firing BF 2) having the nads to do it before she's named full time AD. Doing it mid stream could risk her being named full time AD.

Knee jerk??? This is year 3 of pathetic offense. KF has had two years to do his "year end evaluation" and make corrections. He has failed to make any corrections. I think Beth gets kudos on two issues: 1) firing BF 2) having the nads to do it before she's named full time AD. Doing it mid stream could risk her being named full time AD.
Point 2 shows everyone that it wasn’t her decision. It came from above, she was just the one in charge of communicating it.

They need to start recruiting Kaleb Brown, Leshon Williams, and Kaleb Johnson not to leave and every tight end offensively. Anyone else that wants to leave offensively is fine.
This! .. and Cade. Get Marco all the reps until Cade is healthy and we’ll be fine either way.

Point 2 shows everyone that it wasn’t her decision. It came from above, she was just the one in charge of communicating it.
I keep seeing people make this kind of idiotic statement as if it means something significant. The athletic director works for the president. It has gotten do skewed across the country that somehow saying an athletic director reports to the president isn't just common sense. Athletics needs to be reigned in if there truly is confusion surrounding any of this

WASTE DECEMBER???!!! Are you kidding, this offense is not going to all of a sudden going to pour out 450 yards in a bowl game unless we get matched up with a no-defense Big 12 team.

I know Kirk is busy but he should already have his new OC "promised" the job but maybe not a contract signed or at the least his few top choices contacted.

Beth did this so that the Kirk could get this done NOW and she may have been pushed to. The athletic dept can reach out to the agents of Kirk's top picks, I suppose the job opening has to be posted, but

NOw it is up to Kirk to get it done. Spring ball and beyond will be the time for the new OC to work
I think December is more about getting extra practices… would have been nice to get new coordinator in to work with guys during this important, extra practice time that many teams with new OCs don’t get… Brian being here for the bowl game is no way shape or form helps this team. They should have had if set that he was out after CCG… it’s a crap sandwich right now

You completely disrespected KF and his tenure, should have happened today not midseason. Dumb and ridiculous… and served no purpose.
It silenced the "fire Brian" chants in Kinnick and got the media to stop talking about nepotism at Iowa, both of which were toxic to the brand. It also sent the message to undecided recruits and current players that change was coming and reminded Kirk that Iowa football isn't a family business that he is the owner of....all big positives

The only benefit of waiting was to postpone Kirk being pissy about it til the end of the season. Prioritizing the appeasement of a man who has repeatedly shown his family and his ego are more important than what is best for the program would be "dumb and ridiculous"

Nice work Barb and Beth

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT