ADVERTISEMENT

questioning Beth Goetz's decision to fire the OC

She threw Kirk under the bus with the timing of it. The time to address it was after the last game when Brian's contract was over and stipulations were not met. You then allow Kirk to hire who he wants for next season. As it is now Kirk could and maybe should say see ya to everyone and leave on unfortunate terms.
Another guy pretending he knows how everything went down. Refreshing.

I have a question for y'all. I think it is safe to say almost everyone agrees we need a new offensive coordinator to improve not only this stagnant offense but to improve our recruiting. I think Beth's firing of Brian mid-season may have been a knee jerk reaction. The firing of Brian is easy, a good athletic director would have an action plan in place for the overall improvement for Iowa football which is difficult. In my opinion, if we don't have a new OC this month, the mid season firing ( or making it public) doesn't make sense. Iowa, unlike Nebraska has the whole month of December to practice. Would a good athletic director waste all the valuable practices in December running the same stagnant offensive system with a offensive coordinator who will not be there next year? I think if there is a mid-season fire a good athletic director would have taken the steps to use this valuable to start implementing a new offense unless a new offensive scheme can just be learned during spring ball. I guess my point is, I believe we judge Beth's performance on her action plan to replace Brian rather then just the firing of Brian. The firing of Brian was easy, let's see how good Beth is at the difficult part of her job. I hope she doesn't waste December.
She did what should have been done a year prior. A new OC mid season couldn't implement a new offense this year. Hire a good one in December and have them ready to start implementing it as soon as the bowl is over. I know they can't practice til spring but they can watch film and review the new offense until then.

It silenced the "fire Brian" chants in Kinnick and got the media to stop talking about nepotism at Iowa, both of which were toxic to the brand. It also sent the message to undecided recruits and current players that change was coming and reminded Kirk that Iowa football isn't a family business that he is the owner of....all big positives

The only benefit of waiting was to postpone Kirk being pissy about it til the end of the season. Prioritizing the appeasement of a man who has repeatedly shown his family and his ego are more important than what is best for the program would be "dumb and ridiculous"

Nice work Barb and Beth
Goddamn good post! So logical. Right up my alley.

You completely disrespected KF and his tenure, should have happened today not midseason. Dumb and ridiculous… and served no purpose.
The disrespect was done by KF to Iowa football fans and the university. In his heart of hearts, he knew his son never had any business being OC from day one. KF couldn't pass up the opportunity of having $Millions more flowing into the Ferentz bank accounts.

WASTE DECEMBER???!!! Are you kidding, this offense is not going to all of a sudden going to pour out 450 yards in a bowl game unless we get matched up with a no-defense Big 12 team.

I know Kirk is busy but he should already have his new OC "promised" the job but maybe not a contract signed or at the least his few top choices contacted.

Beth did this so that the Kirk could get this done NOW and she may have been pushed to. The athletic dept can reach out to the agents of Kirk's top picks, I suppose the job opening has to be posted, but

NOw it is up to Kirk to get it done. Spring ball and beyond will be the time for the new OC to work
If the athletic department needs to reach out to Kirk’s top picks they can probably just walk down the hall and poke their head in their office. I’d be willing to bet that next OC already lives in Iowa City.

You completely disrespected KF and his tenure, should have happened today not midseason. Dumb and ridiculous… and served no purpose.

Bad take. They just scored zero points in B1G title game and disrespected Phil Parker/the entire defense/fan base.

Getting rid of BF made it clear to KF that he has to get off his ass and improve the offense and get out of his comfort zone.

If KF is too stupid/stubborn to actually make some changes with the new OC, then the remaining years on his contract are going to be full of fan discontent. Even BF/KF when the look at the product they put on field have to realize they screwed up. IF KF were to resign...so be it. He's old enough and his offenses have become so bad that it is hard to recruit anyway,

10 win season and a division title. That's what the Ferentzi would be parroting right now to justify keeping Biff around despite not meeting expectations. I have no doubt in my mind Barta wouldn't have done it all, and the The Familia would be trying to strong arm this interim AD. They lost a trophy game to a shit team at home in a perfect display of the nuclear winter the offense has devolved into. Kudos to Goetz for using that window of bye week to say enough is enough before the defense beat another block of shitty teams and FerentzCo could act like it was because of Brian.

He is, I worded it wrong. That is the correct time for him to make the hire, on his own.
BG basically didn't waste time and let him know mid-season that he could start looking for a new OC for 2024, as well as a new gig for his boy. Sounds better than stringing them along until this week and then giving the axe. Sound like she did KF, BF and Hawkeye nation a favor.

It had to be done during the season in front of the media so KF couldn’t quietly make his pitch during the off season silence to say BF deserved another year due to all the injuries as the reason why the offense is so terrible. He likes the walls up so the outside doesn’t know or hear anything so control his narrative. Thank God the Pres and Board made the decision to fire him and Beth carried out the message.

Brian as of today should be done as a coach at Iowa. If he is still coaching through the bowl that is poor leadership on both Kirk and Beth. In todays game the bowl is about building towards the future. You have NIL, the transfer portal and coaching decisions all happening this month that will play a huge part into next years success. Iowa has a lame duck offense and a lame duck coach running the offense. The wrong approach now could tank next season.

Brian as of today should be done as a coach at Iowa. If he is still coaching through the bowl that is poor leadership on both Kirk and Beth. In todays game the bowl is about building towards the future. You have NIL, the transfer portal and coaching decisions all happening this month that will play a huge part into next years success. Iowa has a lame duck offense and a lame duck coach running the offense. The wrong approach now could tank next season.
This is 100% true. They need to can Brian right now. Hire an offensive coordinator and QB coach and try and salvage the best pieces of the offense and then hit the portal extremely hard.

The only thing I regret about BGs decision is that she didn't hand Kirk a check for his buyout and send him packing. While Kirk has done a lot for Iowa, the game has clearly past him by and the BIG is going to get much harder with the West Coast teams coming in. Without an offense, and we won't have a dynamic offense as long as Kirk is micro managing it, we are going to get left in the dust and fall into obscurity. As it is we can't recruit QB/WR talent. This is the year we really need a complete overall in order for the program to remain relevant.

Reactions: destro72
Budmayr is going to be the OC and absolutely nothing will change. I have already accepted it.
If this turns out to be true (and very well may be), I can't wait to hear the narratives from our KF fellators about how he is really committed to improving this offense. IMO, this kind of hire just basically says that he doesn't care; just riding it out until he can pass Woody or whoever he is chasing for the Big Ten wins record.

Beth shouldn’t have an action plan to replace Brian. That’s up to the head coach. Beth shouldn’t have had the OC reporting to her. That’s why she said that she didn’t want to be in the position to manage a football assistant coach. It’s done and good for her.
This is the perfect answer! The head coach should be the one in command and responsible however, in place was son of the head coach who posted the worst statistics of all the NCAA teams. I really would have preferred the Ferentz family to resolve the issue before Beth had to step in. Brian should have pursued other options earlier and by his own choice to save face for everyone.

Last edited:
We all know the firing needed to happen but President Wilson was the one who made it happen mid season. Goetz is the one who gets the praise.
Do you think Wilson was pressured by the regents, or was it solely her call? Perhaps the nepotism angle got to be too much.

Do you think Wilson was pressured by the regents, or was it solely her call? Perhaps the nepotism angle got to be too much.
Are you new here? The Ferentz Fellators have been pushing the "Wilson and the Regents made the decision; Goetz is just the messenger" narrative from the very beginning.

Blood is always thicker than water. How many of you would fire your son? I’m sure you’ll respond by saying you wouldn’t hire your son. But if your son was on your payroll, I bet most of you wouldn’t fire him.

Budmayr is going to be the OC and absolutely nothing will change. I have already accepted it.
6a71f5a1578194902d228fdb09133cc05846a39528edd6eb6d1baa30051c7ca7_1.jpg

They skirted the nepotism law by making Brian report directly to the AD. It was always a sham. So much so, that Brian's contract for this season was designed to give him a backdoor raise while presenting itself as holding him accountable. Don't kid yourself, the decision to retain Brian was always Kirk's under Barta.

All Goetz did was treat their lie as the truth. Brian was her direct report. The decision to retain him was hers alone. Sorry Kirk, but your criticism of the firing/timing is tantamount to a confession that you always controlled Brian's fate, and still feel you should.

She threw Kirk under the bus with the timing of it. The time to address it was after the last game when Brian's contract was over and stipulations were not met. You then allow Kirk to hire who he wants for next season. As it is now Kirk could and maybe should say see ya to everyone and leave on unfortunate terms.
What we dont know is what precipitated it... not sure something wasnt leaked, forcing her hand. That or Brian went off on someone... not that he would ever go off on someone..SMH

They skirted the nepotism law by making Brian report directly to the AD. It was always a sham. So much so, that Brian's contract for this season was designed to give him a backdoor raise while presenting itself as holding him accountable. Don't kid yourself, the decision to retain Brian was always Kirk's under Barta.

All Goetz did was treat their lie as the truth. Brian was her direct report. The decision to retain him was hers alone. Sorry Kirk, but your criticism of the firing/timing is tantamount to a confession that you always controlled Brian's fate, and still feel you should.
Work Yes GIF by Offline Granny!

Blood is always thicker than water. How many of you would fire your son? I’m sure you’ll respond by saying you wouldn’t hire your son. But if your son was on your payroll, I bet most of you wouldn’t fire him.
This wasn’t some private business and Kirk is paying brian directly. This was a complete and utter failure in every aspect by Kirk. It’s too bad he has tarnished his legacy by dying on the hill that was his dipshit, incompetent son.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT