ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa

I hope this is a joke because we literally have 6 scholarship receivers on the roster
Keegan Johnson - Hasn’t really played this season. Our best receiver.
Charlie Jones - Production now speaks for itself.
Tyrone Tracy- Productive player, got passed over last year
Arland Bruce - Swiss Army knive. Can do a lot of things.
Nico - Great slot guy.
I’d say that’s a pretty stacked receiver room not even taking into account someone like Brecht.

It's Petras...I'm telling you...he saw Petras on that bootleg take off and slide instead of going out of bounds and he knows Petras has another year of eligibility. Petras is moving to RB and KF is going to start him next year. Raphael then decommits.

Reactions: ewc128 and crstuff
There is a positive here. Sure...Kendrick may be gone...but we do have four good backs and all them have a ton of eligibility. The other positive...There are two seniors in the mix on the OLine...Plumb and DeJong...neither is at the top of the group. We have 7-8 guys that should improve this year...and be much better next. Then again...I thought that for this year...and these guys haven't looked good. Barnett may feel his seat getting hot.

Nico - Great slot guy.
I’d say that’s a pretty stacked receiver room not even taking into account someone like Brecht.
Tracy and Jones are gone 😂 they decided the hell that is West Lafayette was better than playing in our pathetic excuse for an offense

A. So it begins.....

B. Our trash offense/offensive philosophy/offensive coordinator.........coupled with negative recruiting and other enticements..........cost us a recruit (they will say)

Amirite?...... ;)

Reactions: HawkGem10
Tracy and Jones are gone 😂 they decided the hell that is West Lafayette was better than playing in our pathetic excuse for an offense
Hence, why we had a good receiving room when they were both here in December 2021. My point being losing a four star running back is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it. Position rooms can change super fast.

Nico - Great slot guy.
Keagan Johnson is a really good athlete, but when you say that the receiver room is stacked and describe Keagan as our best receiver, there is a huge disconnect. Keagan may end up being a very good receiver but he is not today. We don't really have any really good receivers on the roster today. We have Ragaini who is slow of foot and dropped a ton of passes last year and a bunch of guys who have yet to prove themselves as good B1G receivers. That's just the reality that we face today. The best receiver on the team was Jones and after that a group of guys that we hope will develop into something better.

Hence, why we had a good receiving room when they were both here in December 2021. My point being losing a four star running back is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it. Position rooms can change super fast.
Good by our standards maybe. Still below average for a P5 school

Keagan Johnson is a really good athlete, but when you say that the receiver room is stacked and describe Keagan as our best receiver, there is a huge disconnect. Keagan may end up being a very good receiver but he is not today. We don't really have any really good receivers on the roster today. We have Ragaini who is slow of foot and dropped a ton of passes last year and a bunch of guys who have yet to prove themselves as good B1G receivers. That's just the reality that we face today. The best receiver on the team was Jones and after that a group of guys that we hope will develop into something better.
I disagree. No doubt Charlie was one of our best receivers. But there was a reason Keegan rose to the top as a freshman. He made big plays to win us games ( bubble screen against Minnesota) as did Charlie.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I suppose this is disappointing.
I brought this up in the other thread. With all the schools in Fla, only 1 offered, and that was South Florida.
A lot passed on a young man in their own backyards.

Move on.
The most likely reason is NOW after his strong start, those teams that weren't offering are reaching out to him from his home state - which is probably what he wanted all along. It happens all the time.

Also, with NIL and Transfer Portal, fans need to understand you are going to see a lot of of things that we haven't seen before and a lot more movement by players from ALL teams. Just the way it is unless they make some adjustments to the Portal and NIL.

A smart, young RB is going to understand that while the OL is poor now, most of the guys getting time are young and getting reps/playing time and that Iowa is definitely a more "friendly" offense to RB's than WR's.

Reactions: unclesammy and BXY
The most likely reason is NOW after his strong start, those teams that weren't offering are reaching out to him from his home state - which is probably what he wanted all along. It happens all the time.

Also, with NIL and Transfer Portal, fans need to understand you are going to see a lot of of things that we haven't seen before and a lot more movement by players from ALL teams. Just the way it is unless they make some adjustments to the Portal and NIL.

A smart, young RB is going to understand that while the OL is poor now, most of the guys getting time are young and getting reps/playing time and that Iowa is definitely a more "friendly" offense to RB's than WR's.
Or he's been watching the program he'd previously committed to and its offense, HC, and OC that are as dynamic as a Wet Wipe and just said, 'nope.'

I think the more plausible reason is because our offense sucks
That's exactly it, and anybody who tries to spin it otherwise is being less than objective.

Maybe even those folks who blasted Charlie Jones and Tyrone Tracy can see the pattern. Until Iowa develops an offense, you'd have to question the judgment of anyone who signs on if they have any other option. Ferentz Family Offensive Football is reaping what it has sown.

Imagine what would happen if Proctor and X (although he plays defense) were to join these fellas who aren't willing to go down with this ship.

Spoken like a true homer.

Yeah, I’m sure a recruit is going to analyze our offensive line.

Or he's been watching the program he'd previously committed to and its offense, HC, and OC that are as dynamic as a wet wipe and just said 'nope.'
Maybe but he already saw that and committed ... so that doesn't make much sense. He's a FL kid that wasn't getting FL love and now had a huge start to the season and probably wants to play that out. That is probably why his recruitment is "open" and not flipping to another school immediately.

Maybe but he already saw that and committed ... so that doesn't make much sense. He's a FL kid that wasn't getting FL love and now had a huge start to the season and probably wants to play that out. That is probably why his recruitment is "open" and not flipping to another school immediately.
As bad as the O was last year and the year before is nothing compared to how limp it is this year. Previous years have been bad, but this year's offense has literally turned Iowa into a national laughingstock.

I disagree. No doubt Charlie was one of our best receivers. But there was a reason Keegan rose to the top as a freshman. He made big plays to win us games ( bubble screen against Minnesota) as did Charlie.
Keagan dropped a lot of passes last year. He dropped one again Saturday. His PFF ranking had him outside the top 500 I believe. Charlie Jones is 5th right now.

Iowa seems to have an aversion to recruiting portal players. I don't have the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure Iowa is dead last in number of in-coming portal transfers among all B10 teams. It is fairly easy to draw a correlation between that and the current dreadful situation with the offense.

I do beleive that bringing in a large number of transfers is not the best strategy for Iowa. However, glaring needs at WR and QB were not adeqetely addressed and the price of that failure will be paid this season.

Reactions: Macbride79
Spoken like a true homer.

Yeah, I’m sure a recruit is going to analyze our offensive line.
Typical response from a true delusional crybaby. I can't help it you lack the ability to utilize common sense and see the gray areas of things like most adults. You don't think the coaches talk about stuff like that to recruits when they are on visits, etc? No, you are too busy screaming at the clouds to "Fire Kirk" so that we Iowa can immediately be a National Title Contender with a new, dynamic coach.

Iowa - like all teams - lose commits all the time for a multitude of reasons. Acting like every time is because of one reason is is how little kids and slack-jawed low-IQ people think.

You don't think it's possible that kids in FL don't grow up dreaming of playing for programs like FL, FSI, and Miami or SEC schools down there the way guys like Graves and Proctor might dream of playing for Iowa?

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
I think folks are putting too much faith in retaining our top offensive talent next year. Charlie Jones was the guinea pig of what happens after leaving and is having a ton of success; combine that with NIL and it’s not a good combo.
I figured Kirk would survive the “racism” scandal because he’s mastered the art of giving the media nothing. I’m not so sure about the offensive ineptitude stigma. I have a feeling there’s going to be a mass exodus of wide receivers after the season. Since Kirk has no exit strategy with Brian and no real way of generating excitement for the stale Iowa offense, get ready for a slew of 2-star WR commits from South Dakota with the occasional Coe College transfer.

Typical response from a true delusional crybaby. I can't help it you lack the ability to utilize common sense and see the gray areas of things like most adults. You don't think the coaches talk about stuff like that to recruits when they are on visits, etc? No, you are too busy screaming at the clouds to "Fire Kirk" so that we Iowa can immediately be a National Title Contender with a new, dynamic coach.

Iowa - like all teams - lose commits all the time for a multitude of reasons. Acting like every time is because of one reason is is how little kids and slack-jawed low-IQ people think.

You don't think it's possible that kids in FL don't grow up dreaming of playing for programs like FL, FSI, and Miami or SEC schools down there the way guys like Graves and Proctor might dream of playing for Iowa?
You don't think having consecutive years of 120+ ranked offense had an impact on his decision?

That’s some funny stuff!

Please show me in my post that you responded to where I said “fire Kirk.”

I can’t help it if you refuse to see that Iowa’s offense is a national laughingstock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT