ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa

Iowa seems to have an aversion to recruiting portal players. I don't have the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure Iowa is dead last in number of in-coming portal transfers among all B10 teams. It is fairly easy to draw a correlation between that and the current dreadful situation with the offense.

I do beleive that bringing in a large number of transfers is not the best strategy for Iowa. However, glaring needs at WR and QB were not adeqetely addressed and the price of that failure will be paid this season.
True but they also lose less than those other teams as well. So they aren't going to the portal to get people and they aren't losing as many.

I agree that bringing in a lot of transfers is not ideal for a program like Iowa. We all know they are a developmental program. They have a "type" they recruit that they believe in. They want a certain personality and traits that the kids coming in will work hard, be mentally strong, put in their time, be coachable, and be willing to put in their time knowing that in 3-5 years, they are going to be MUCH better players (most of the time) and they will have a chance to go to the NFL over most other programs. That is probably why they will lose less people to the portal as well compared to most teams.

That isn't going to work for all recruits and transfers and Iowa rewards putting in the time and work.

Iowa fans act like they don't understand this by now. They might not love the approach all the time but it has been pretty successful. Iowa rewards loyalty, hard work, and coachability.

Relying heavy on transfers is walking a very thin line that can easily go sideways. To me, that is more for programs that don't believe in their ability to coach up and develop players. For a program like Iowa, where guys put in their time and expect to earn playing time, bringing in a bunch of transfers would probably have a more large-scale negative effect in the long run.

That being said, QB is definitely a position that probably deserved a look into the portal - and realistically we have no idea if they did put feelers out there

As for WR, I don't really agree - Jones left in June really f'd Iowa because he did it when most guys had already landed on teams. So they were counting on Jones to be back. Add in to injuries to KJ, Ragaini, Vines, and Brecht - when I am sure they were counting on all of them to be in play for the start of the season - you are talking about Iowa losing 5 of their top 6 WR's they were counting on in June going into the the season. I'm not sure how anyone could have predicted all that happening.

You don't think having consecutive years of 120+ ranked offense had an impact on his decision?
He doesn’t have a clue anymore than anyone else does why the kid de-committed. While the points owen raised are valid, to completely dismiss the notion Iowa’s putrid offense—and the national headlines it made in addition to all the social media laughter—couldn’t possibly be a swaying factor in the kid’s decision is having your head so far up Kirk’s ass that the lump in his throat is really your nose.

You don't think having consecutive years of 120+ ranked offense had an impact on his decision?
It could have ... but it could have been other things as well. Do you not think he knew what the Offense was last year when he committed in the early summer? You don't think being a FL guy who wasn't getting love in FL but is blowing up in a huge way to start the year and possibly hearing from those programs now might have impacted his decision?

My point is the same whiners that say the same thing ALL THE TIME don't seem to comprehend there might be OTHER factors involved. It might come out is was the offense but to not even think it could have been other reasons is what doesn't make sense.

My guess is he is going to land in a P5 program in FL or in the SEC.

He doesn’t have a clue anymore than anyone else does why the kid de-committed. While the points owen raised are valid, to completely dismiss the notion Iowa’s putrid offense—and the national headlines it made in addition to all the social media laughter—couldn’t possibly be a swaying factor in the kid’s decision is having your head so far up Kirk’s ass that the lump in his throat is really your nose.
I didn't say that couldn't be the reason. It could. I am pointing to people who act like it couldn't be some of the other reasons I laid out. He knew what the Offense was in previous years before he committed. It's not like Iowa RB's don't get plenty of opportunities to tote the rock.

I didn't say that couldn't be the reason. It could. I am pointing to people who act like it couldn't be some of the other reasons I laid out. He knew what the Offense was in previous years before he committed. It's not like Iowa RB's don't get plenty of opportunities to tote the rock.
I agree with you. No one knows for sure other than the kid and whomever he’s been honest with.

Still, the Iowa offense is killing recruiting.

Iowa’s offense took a nosedive after he committed. Was 88th in 2020. Since he committed it was 124th in 2021, and is dead last and a national joke so far in 2022.

So I would counter that he did not know how bad the offense would be.

Did he decommit because of that, or some other reason? Only he knows. But it is obvious to anyone but a blind homer that Iowa’s offense is harming recruiting.

Thanks Kirk and Brian….great job!

As I said I don’t blame any of them….actually if my kid was a skill position player on the Hawkeye team right now besides SP I would be advising him to hit the road. Look at Charlie Jones….the Iowa offense is where skill careers go to die.

Thanks Kirk and Brian….great job!

As I said I don’t blame any of them….actually if my kid was a skill position player on the Hawkeye team right now besides SP I would be advising him to hit the road. Look at Charlie Jones….the Iowa offense is where skill careers go to die.
And sadly, if it weren’t for injuries, Charlie Jones would still be second on the depth chart behind Nico Ragini had he chosen to stay at Iowa.

On offense, if you don’t have the Ferentz union card, you don’t play.

Hmmmm…a 4* running back decommits from the LAST PLACE offense (by a wide margin) in the country….I certainly can’t figure that one out.

It could have ... but it could have been other things as well. Do you not think he knew what the Offense was last year when he committed in the early summer? You don't think being a FL guy who wasn't getting love in FL but is blowing up in a huge way to start the year and possibly hearing from those programs now might have impacted his decision?

My point is the same whiners that say the same thing ALL THE TIME don't seem to comprehend there might be OTHER factors involved. It might come out is was the offense but to not even think it could have been other reasons is what doesn't make sense.

My guess is he is going to land in a P5 program in FL or in the SEC.
I agree it could be any number of things. Its just hard to believe an offense trajectory that is going backwards (plus all the negative press in media, etc.) the last few years wasn't part of that decision making

Getting future recruits with this offense will definitely be a factor. Of course iowa will always get the kids that fit iowa culture ... appreciate hard work, mentality strong...and all the other traits you mentioned in your previous post. But that only gets you so far, especially in this new era of recruiting

Has nothing to do about the offense. It's all about the NIL money that Oregon is going to throw at him.

Hmmmm…a 4* running back decommits from the LAST PLACE offense (by a wide margin) in the country….I certainly can’t figure that one out.
Just wait until after the season, Outrage Roy, when the receiving room becomes depleted from transfers and the roster gets filled with guys that look like they were stolen from a list of employees at Starbucks and the Pottery Barn.

I think folks are putting too much faith in retaining our top offensive talent next year. Charlie Jones was the guinea pig of what happens after leaving and is having a ton of success; combine that with NIL and it’s not a good combo.
Charlie has by far been more the exception than the rule. He used Iowa (as was his prerogative) then left for greener pastures.

Let's see where he is at the end of the year.

I saw this coming from a mile away when he started opening up his recruiting and visits and what HR had written about him a few weeks ago.. no shock here - good luck kid! Best wishes and hope you do well wherever you go!
I also think he saw the writing on the wall with our stable of backs and watching Kaleb Johnson rip off 2 long TD’s

Reactions: GhostAppendage
There is mountains of evidence to the contrary, including our #1 WR and our leading rusher from this past Saturday.

Don't lose sight of the forest through the trees.
Mountains of evidence? Lol.
There is mountains of evidence to the contrary, including our #1 WR and our leading rusher from this past Saturday.

Don't lose sight of the forest through the trees.
Lol.

Ragini was the leading receiver Saturday with a whopping total of 56 yards against mighty Nevada. Kaleb Johnson didn’t even get half the touches Gavin Williams did. How many do you expect KJ to get when Leshun returns to the lineup against Rutgers?

Iowa seems to have an aversion to recruiting portal players. I don't have the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure Iowa is dead last in number of in-coming portal transfers among all B10 teams. It is fairly easy to draw a correlation between that and the current dreadful situation with the offense.

I do beleive that bringing in a large number of transfers is not the best strategy for Iowa. However, glaring needs at WR and QB were not adeqetely addressed and the price of that failure will be paid this season.
Alleged loyalty to the players we recruit, though in would say it’s disloyal to not get better players to help the ones we have

It did? Seriously? Wow… not through my glasses - we have the Williams bros, KJ2, Patterson, and the kid from Des Moines (can’t recall his name at the moment) am I missing anyone else here?
I have no idea what you are replying to here. The topic was about the loss of tight ends

That’s tough, I think it’s a mixture of KJ Potential success and NIL.
Lol, Johnson had less than 15 carries in college- most against the 86th ranked defense in the country. Doubt that scared him off.

Bet wherever he ends up will have better RBs than Iowa currently does.

Lol, Johnson had less than 15 carries in college- most against the 86th ranked defense in the country. Doubt that scared him off.

Bet wherever he ends up will have better RBs than Iowa currently does.
I hope your breath doesn't smell like your opinions.

I mean, it’s not like Iowa has had a plethora of talent on offense over the years to choose from, but even the casual observer could see the talent in guys like Noah Fant and Charlie Jones.
Yes I agree in which all of those players you had mentioned were so under underutilized throughout their career … I mean of course we need to stockpile on rb’s as you can never have too many … this does suck though he looked pretty good but his grades are total shit

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I have no idea what you are replying to here. The topic was about the loss of tight ends
Really? With the head of the post

“RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa”​

th

There is a positive here. Sure...Kendrick may be gone...but we do have four good backs and all them have a ton of eligibility. The other positive...There are two seniors in the mix on the OLine...Plumb and DeJong...neither is at the top of the group. We have 7-8 guys that should improve this year...and be much better next. Then again...I thought that for this year...and these guys haven't looked good. Barnett may feel his seat getting hot.
Don't be a Been brother...

Keegan Johnson - Hasn’t really played this season. Our best receiver.
Charlie Jones - Production now speaks for itself.
Tyrone Tracy- Productive player, got passed over last year
Arland Bruce - Swiss Army knive. Can do a lot of things.
Nico - Great slot guy.
I’d say that’s a pretty stacked receiver room not even taking into account someone like Brecht.
Stacked?

Whatever. Yes you are right but we all need to move on and stop the negativity on sites likes this. Recruits read our post.
Tell KF recruits watch games and that exposure (through, espn, fs1, B1GTV,etc) has 1000x the influence over a bunch of hacks on this site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT