ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors that BF is interviewing....

I am going to ask this without knowing the right answer. Would you hire a coach who would replicate the last 20 years of Iowa football? Who is most likely to do that? Are some of you happy with the Kirk Era? I am old enought to remember when Tom Davis was let go and what happened to the Iowa basketball team. And Davis did nit have Iowa basketball as relevant as the football team is today.

I do not know who the next coach should be but the anger over Kirk really puzzles me. He has been great for Iowa and is the west champion. Can you enjoy winning? I understand he has flaws but I have heard the complaints that he hasn't won the west and now that he won it, you are still complaining. Part of the reason Iowa has a good defense is that the offense is designed to keep the game in a ball controlled game. I understand the complaints that they haven't executed and that they are predictable but they always have been. I think many people need to sit back and enjoy the ride.
those bitching about the KF era are either trolls or well-meaning posters who have no understanding of how the real world operates. the latter can be forgiven (note: sadly i wasn't on the right side of history in regards to the tom davis saga either)

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Given how folks have such a great tendency of believing the "news" and/or links posted on their social media feeds ... the fact that they'd fall prey to retweet about Brian isn't at all shocking.

Also, stupidity abounds everywhere ...

... an example of how a computer-authored "paper" got accepted to a computer-science conference.

... the Sokal hoax ... an example of a theoretical physicist illustrating the blind acceptance of trite that was pervading a particular philosophical school of thought.

I'd be very surprised if Iowa replaces Kirk with a person with no HC experience at any level, unless it was a promotion of Phil who doesn't seem to want the job. I don't know that Kirk would have been offered the job back in 1999 if he didn't have at least those three years as HC at Maine. Of course Stoops was likely to be offered if Kirk wasn't a candidate and he only had three years as an Assistant HC under Spurrier, so maybe I'm wrong.

But unless he starts showing major progress in his current role, Brian is not the guy for the job. Brian had some success as the OL coach but has been mostly a disaster as OC. Compared to LeVar Woods who has shown he can put together elite units underneath him, had a decent tenure in the NFL, has coached on offense, defense, and special teams for us, and would be much better suited for the job.

Think about Woods's tenure.
LB coach 2012-2014 = Recruited Josey Jewell and Ben Niemann, both in the NFL and damn good players under us.
TE coach 2015-2017 = Recruited Noah Fant and TJ Hockenson, both in the NFL and damn good players under us.
ST Coordinator 2018-Present = Runs one of the best special teams units in the country in kicking, punting, and returns.

See, I disagree with this premise. Iowa is a good enough program that they shouldn’t be hiring a first-time head coach. It would be a very difficult sell for Barta, or whoever the AD is, to hire Brian when there are other candidates with HC experience out there.
What if Kirk retired in the month of June or July? (Not necessarily this year or next)

kind of forces his son into the head coaching job. It’s what I would do.

Reactions: hawkdave007
What if Kirk retired in the month of June or July? (Not necessarily this year or next)

kind of forces his son into the head coaching job. It’s what I would do.
If it was that short of notice? Maybe, but you could also sell me on Phil as an interim as well.

wouldn’t be my first choice but if you told me Brian essentially got a 1 year trial period to see how he’d do first, I wouldn’t completely hate it.

I think he’s a smart football guy, but wouldn’t want him just handed the reins. And regardless, fair or not it would be too much of a polarizing hire now.

I would take woods anytime
Maybe, but Iowa is in a good spot for coaches I think, especially ones for whom love the development side of coaching. But I don’t think our first choice is a guy who’s never done it as a HC anywhere.

I think many schools have learned from the Joey Meyer debacle at DePaul. You are an assistant for Dad for years, you do really know Dad's coaching philosophies..

But you aren't Dad.

Who were the guys on here saying (sometimes enthusiastically) Brian was being groomed for Kirk's job?

Reactions: VodkaSam
I think many schools have learned from the Joey Meyer debacle at DePaul. You are an assistant for Dad for years, you do really know Dad's coaching philosophies..

But you aren't Dad.

Who were the guys on here saying (sometimes enthusiastically) Brian was being groomed for Kirk's job?
I do think that was on the back of Kirks mind when he made the hire with Brian, but for him to pull it off Brian needed to clearly show the offense has improved. And for the most part, it’s been one step forward, one step back all the time.

Kick rocks, chode.
If you want more of the current type offense, then maybe we can fall into another west crown again in the next 7-8 years...you sound ok with that....I am not. In fact, I'd like to recruit better athletes at the skill positions, revamp the offense, and maybe reach the College Football Playoffs. Does all of this scare you? Too far reaching of a goal?

I think some if you are so entrenched that you can't look at the facts. I am NOT advocating for BF as the next head coach but there are valid reasons to hire him.
1. You most likely keep much of the staff that has had Iowa successful over the past years
2. You remove BF ad OC
3. The "he hasn't been head coach before" is over played. All head coaches were not a head coach prior to their first job. Stoops wasn't a head coach before Oklahoma. I don't think Riley was either. Fry took Alverez from a high school.
4. People like Belicek and O'Brian thought well of BF.
5. BF knows the Iowa way of winning and would be qualified to keep that going.
6. I believe BF and Polaski rejuvenated recruiting and he knows how to recruit to iowa.

I am not going to list negatives and I acknowledge that there are negatives. I am mostly not listing because they have been listed for several years but I think many dismiss him too quickly and do not give him credit for anything. I am old enough to remember people being upset that Kirk was hired when his only head coaching experience was at Maine.

I think some if you are so entrenched that you can't look at the facts. I am NOT advocating for BF as the next head coach but there are valid reasons to hire him.
1. You most likely keep much of the staff that has had Iowa successful over the past years
2. You remove BF ad OC
3. The "he hasn't been head coach before" is over played. All head coaches were not a head coach prior to their first job. Stoops wasn't a head coach before Oklahoma. I don't think Riley was either. Fry took Alverez from a high school.
4. People like Belicek and O'Brian thought well of BF.
5. BF knows the Iowa way of winning and would be qualified to keep that going.
6. I believe BF and Polaski rejuvenated recruiting and he knows how to recruit to iowa.

I am not going to list negatives and I acknowledge that there are negatives. I am mostly not listing because they have been listed for several years but I think many dismiss him too quickly and do not give him credit for anything. I am old enough to remember people being upset that Kirk was hired when his only head coaching experience was at Maine.
Yeah, it’s not a requirement, just a preference for me.

I do agree that people tend to focus more on the negatives around Brian than other stuff he brings to the table. Fair or not, hiring him to succeed his dad would just be too polarizing imo, without seeing him coach elsewhere first.

If you want more of the current type offense, then maybe we can fall into another west crown again in the next 7-8 years...you sound ok with that....I am not. In fact, I'd like to recruit better athletes at the skill positions, revamp the offense, and maybe reach the College Football Playoffs. Does all of this scare you? Too far reaching of a goal?
I have zero interest in the pro-style scheme personally. The problem currently is that BF doesn’t always show the best feel for playcalls in some situations. It’s frustrating is that we’ve seen games where every call is perfect, and others where he seemingly calls himself into a brick wall and doesn’t seem to know when to switch gears.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Over the last 5 years not including this year Iowa's average offensive ranking is 105.2. We know we are rank 123 this year on offense. So it tells us this is an ongoing problem. Just think where we would be if our Offense was ranked in the 60's, you know average. Something needs to be done about the offense.

Reactions: Pat McGroyne
All the guys who seriously think Brian would consider a lessor $500K job for a head coaching line on a resume have either never been married or they aren’t any longer. Just saying.

• Wow
Reactions: IAHUNTER
I'd be very surprised if Iowa replaces Kirk with a person with no HC experience at any level, unless it was a promotion of Phil who doesn't seem to want the job. I don't know that Kirk would have been offered the job back in 1999 if he didn't have at least those three years as HC at Maine. Of course Stoops was likely to be offered if Kirk wasn't a candidate and he only had three years as an Assistant HC under Spurrier, so maybe I'm wrong.

But unless he starts showing major progress in his current role, Brian is not the guy for the job. Brian had some success as the OL coach but has been mostly a disaster as OC. Compared to LeVar Woods who has shown he can put together elite units underneath him, had a decent tenure in the NFL, has coached on offense, defense, and special teams for us, and would be much better suited for the job.

Think about Woods's tenure.
LB coach 2012-2014 = Recruited Josey Jewell and Ben Niemann, both in the NFL and damn good players under us.
TE coach 2015-2017 = Recruited Noah Fant and TJ Hockenson, both in the NFL and damn good players under us.
ST Coordinator 2018-Present = Runs one of the best special teams units in the country in kicking, punting, and returns.
Just a point. The position coaches don't just recruit their own units. Not sure of all the guys but Jewell wasn't recruited by Woods. I believe that Reece Morgan brought Jewell to KF's attention and Kf thought if nothing else they could make a good fullback. Not sure about the two TE's. The coaches recruit by territory, not specifically by the position their coaching.

I would take him over BF. He is more level-headed and would also be a better recruiter.
agree with recruiting potential. but level headed im not sure (based on psu game), passionate though fo sho. i like woods and if he’s the next guy i have no problem.

Why would you laugh at having your team of choice constantly struggle on offense? You want the hawks to succeed, right?
I’d laugh at the weekly festival of histrionics, tears, “expert” analysis, hyperbole, bullshit and Pop Warner coaching advice. It has nothing to do with laughing at the team. It has everything to do with laughing at irrational people on this forum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT