ADVERTISEMENT

So, who will land TJ Power? He Visited IOWA a 2nd Time (Unofficially) in June

I don't know if we stand a chance with Drew Fielder, but I like him better than Estrella. The kid is really good. Does anyone know if we stand a chance with him?

Great points. At Iowa, he would not only be a starter, he would be getting a LOT of minutes. And in Fran's system a huge spotlight would be on HIM. At Duke, the spotlight would be all over the place.
Then take advantage of the portal.

I wonder if a guy like TJ Power from Duke will hit the transfer portal. Did Iowa come in second again?

Currently averaging 2 ppg.

I can't imagine he's happy over there and now they have five more 5-star recruits coming in. He would fit in perfectly in Fran's system.

TJ, we put forwards in The League!

I wonder if a guy like TJ Power from Duke will hit the transfer portal. Did Iowa come in second again?

I can't imagine he's happy over there and now they have five more 5-star recruits coming in. He would fit in perfectly in Fran's system.

Isn’t he a 21 year old freshmen?

Any idea why he's only averaging 2 ppg?
No playing time due to better players in front of him?

Reactions: Franisdaman

I'm in Trilly Donavon's discord server and he has had a "likely to portal" list going for a month + now. TJ Power was one of the first names on the list. I think it's an open secret that he will be leaving Duke--he knows he isn't going to be playing ahead of Cooper Flagg next year.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

Yes, that is correct, but in 14 years, as athletic and as good as the forwards that Fran has recruited to Iowa, Iowa is still waiting to make the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament.
Sadly, guards and centers lead teams to the 2nd week. We're still waiting Fran and yet he continues to over recruit forwards.
If Tony Perkins decides to end his college career and Bowen enters the portal does Fran have a backup plan. Is it to bring in more forwards? He has 2 recruited for next year.
Dix and Harding are a wonderful pair of guards, 1 shooting guard, 1 point guard, but if you look at Iowa's roster as it's constructed as of today, if Perkins and Bowen leave, Dix and Harding will be the only guards on scholarships.
This years off season, is one that could make or break Iowa and determine if Iowa will ever make the 2 week. Fran has got to go out and get at least 1 or 2 guards that will except the responsibility of playing at Iowa whether it's as a starter or off the bench and that is not his expertise sadly. We shall see.

Reactions: jerbob36
Yes, that is correct, but in 14 years, as athletic and as good as the forwards that Fran has recruited to Iowa, Iowa is still waiting to make the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament.
Sadly, guards and centers lead teams to the 2nd week. We're still waiting Fran and yet he continues to over recruit forwards.
If Tony Perkins decides to end his college career and Bowen enters the portal does Fran have a backup plan. Is it to bring in more forwards? He has 2 recruited for next year.
Dix and Harding are a wonderful pair of guards, 1 shooting guard, 1 point guard, but if you look at Iowa's roster as it's constructed as of today, if Perkins and Bowen leave, Dix and Harding will be the only guards on scholarships.
This years off season, is one that could make or break Iowa and determine if Iowa will ever make the 2 week. Fran has got to go out and get at least 1 or 2 guards that will except the responsibility of playing at Iowa whether it's as a starter or off the bench and that is not his expertise sadly. We shall see.
The plan would most likely be to go to the portal…..what else do you do? Maybe there’s a HS recruit available but chances are they wouldn’t be a player you would want to depend on as a key player…..hopefully provide depth.

We're bringing in two forwards in this recruiting class. We will likely have around 5 forwards come back to the team next year (freeman/sandforts/dembele/brauns).

If we are going to hit the portal it MUST be for guards. Not more forwards.
Freeman and Brauns are centers. While Dembele can hit the 3, he’ll be spending a lot of his time inside. Tadjo is a post player on offense.

Fran likes to have a couple forwards on the floor who are perimeter-oriented. On next year’s team, the only players projected to fit that description would be the Sandforts and Koch. And depending on what happens in the backcourt, they may need Pryce to play some at shooting guard.

In my opinion, if you have a chance to add a player the quality of Power, you do it. He was ranked as a Top 20 player in the country. You take him and figure out who plays where later.

We're bringing in two forwards in this recruiting class. We will likely have around 5 forwards come back to the team next year (freeman/sandforts/dembele/brauns).

If we are going to hit the portal it MUST be for guards. Not more forwards.
Only if we lose Perkins, or if we have the opportunity for a guy you can’t turn down. I’ve great confidence in Perkins/Dix/Harding/Pryce, I don’t think there will be enough minutes for a transfer.

Reactions: perryhawk
Will he help us win a national championship?

Fans that actually care enough to follow recruiting:

afd1619b-20a8-4dd7-8640-7c150eb22c5d_text.gif

Me: ^^^^

Reactions: icwesthawk
Only if we lose Perkins, or if we have the opportunity for a guy you can’t turn down. I’ve great confidence in Perkins/Dix/Harding/Pryce, I don’t think there will be enough minutes for a transfer.
Somewhat agree, but I think Fran needs to change his recruiting up now days with the portal. It's a meritocracy. Just because you received a scholarship doesn't mean you get playing time. If there's someone in the portal that matches culture & can provide Iowa with more wins, Fran owes it to the university and it's fan base to go out and put the best team he possibly can, that gives Iowa the best chance to win each and every year.

Reactions: IGot5onIt
Somewhat agree, but I think Fran needs to change his recruiting up now days with the portal. It's a meritocracy. Just because you received a scholarship doesn't mean you get playing time. If there's someone in the portal that matches culture & can provide Iowa with more wins, Fran owes it to the university and it's fan base to go out and put the best team he possibly can, that gives Iowa the best chance to win each and every year.
I don't disagree with you, but talking with other coaches/AAU folks I do think that it is a really tough sell to convince a kid in the portal to come and try and beat out an incumbent starter. It obviously does happen sometimes, but it's pretty rare. The #1 thing that guys in the portal are typically looking for is an immediate path towards more playing time. If Perkins and Dix are back, Fran is going to have a hard time selling a high caliber guard to come. If Perkins does not come back, then I think it's open season for finding the best guard you can bring in.

Now, my biggest issue with Fran's portal strategy (at least what I have pieced together from who Iowa has reportedly contacted/brought in for visits) is that he seems to only go after the top portal names. Getting another Even Brauns level guy to backup Owen and a low major guard who can come off the bench and shoot would definitely help this roster next year if Perkins and Dix are the presumed starters.

I don’t agree. Fran is always going to be about investing in his players and developing their talent. It’s loyalty. If you start recruiting over kids then it changes the dynamics. We’re never going to be ISU where we have a bunch of $ to outbid everyone else. Player development is the key.

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
I don’t agree. Fran is always going to be about investing in his players and developing their talent. It’s loyalty. If you start recruiting over kids then it changes the dynamics. We’re never going to be ISU where we have a bunch of $ to outbid everyone else. Player development is the key.
I agree with this, Fran is never going to get a player from the portal to start over a player Fran recruited from high school and started the year before.
If Iowa is in need of a player to fill a starting position then a player like Rebraca is likely going to come from the portal. As I've said in another thread, Iowa could lose from 1 player (Krikke) or up to 5 players, and anywhere in between, Krikke, Patrick, Perkins, Bowen, and Payton Sanford.
Will that happen, probably not. but there could be room for Fran to grab a player to help next year or the roster could be completely full next year with the addition of the 2 incoming recruits and Tony and Patrick return.

I agree. Fran has his faults, but fans also need to appreciate that he's not playing with a full deck of cards. He has little to no $ and the program has horrific fan support. A program with weak NIL/fan support can't bring in top-level talent every year.

. . . and don't tell me Fran would recruit better if he got to a sweet 16. Rutgers has only won ONE (1) NCAA tournament game in the last 40 years. And they just signed the #3 overall class for 2024. They also have terrific fan support. Fan support even when your program is struggling means something.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT