ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up

How do native Iowans feel about half the starting line up being from PA and no Iowans in the starting line up?

125 - PA
133 - PA
141 - PA
149 - FL
157 - PA
165 - OH
174 - PA
184 - IL
197 - IL
285 - IL
I bet Ed Orgeron feels so dumb after his National Championship last night because he had to do it with 8 guys from Alabama on the roster...

How do native Iowans feel about half the starting line up being from PA and no Iowans in the starting line up?

125 - PA
133 - PA
141 - PA
149 - FL
157 - PA
165 - OH
174 - PA
184 - IL
197 - IL
285 - IL

Whether it's countries or states, borders aren't important to me. People are basically the same everywhere, whether they live 5 miles, 500 miles, or 5000 miles away from me. The us vs. them mentality is toxic, in regards to where someone is from.

Edit: I've never really understood what it means to "troll", but this topic is clearly trolling!! Therefore, the OP has zero credibility.

Reactions: el dub and Grip220
Who cares? Iowa high school wrestling hasn't been great for a long time. All the more impressive that the University of Iowa is where they are at right now.

it's not as bad as a lot of people play it to be. As recently as 2018 there were two world freestyle team members from Iowa - Gilman and Colon. We've had six Iowa preps win national titles in the last 10 years - Drew foster, Cory Clark, Kyven Gadson, St. John, McDonough (x 2), and Borschel. And, Gilman, Sorensen, Marion (x 2), and Andrew Long were finalists.

For a state our size, we are still very good.

Love the fact that even though they are from different states, they grew up with IOWA wrestling posters on their walls and knew this was where they wanted to be.

They weren't lucky enough to be born here, but they were smart enough to know this was home.

Would really suck to be from one of these states and watch as these studs choose Iowa over the in-state programs. Must really suck to be you.

Best post I've read on this board, possibly ever!! :):):)

Wrestling is still considered a "niche" sport and the high school talent over the years has been somewhat localized. Talent wise, there has been a bit of an improvement in some parts of the country, but there are still many States/areas where high school wrestling is pretty weak, imo.
Niche sport or not, it's a global sport and you go where you have to to get the best. Local talent and talent coming from in-state is a good topic, and it might make things easier for recruiting for sure, but in the end, imo, I don't care where a guy comes from if he's good and a fit for the program and he comes to Iowa, he a Hawk.

If you list the greatest Hawkeye wrestler of all time, in your opinion, chances are he's from out of state (Lincoln, Banach, Williams, Metcalf) It could be that your fav is Brands or McD or CC, so it's always been a good balance. But out of state is nothing new, especially when the state population is as small as Iowa. And while psu has had a lot of great talent from instate, their most valuable asset, karl is not from PA. Neither is DT or Kerry McCoy or Bo Nikal.

giphy.gif

I’d like to see a little more diversity in the lineup. Like a couple Russians or Eastern Europeans. Almost had a Cuban for next year. The Turks (not Vince) have some young studs that Might enjoy the IOWA coeds.
Me too. We haven't had a black starter since Montell Marion. We've had a few Latinos though.

SOME Penn State fans seem to think all good things originate in Pennsylvania and thus want validation of “Our state is better”.

they want you to tell them how great their state is in some way somehow. If it’s not complimenting the in state college, then it’s complimenting the people from there.

"States"..........or so they say........
images

Whether it's countries or states, borders aren't important to me. People are basically the same everywhere, whether they live 5 miles, 500 miles, or 5000 miles away from me. The us vs. them mentality is toxic, in regards to where someone is from.

Edit: I've never really understood what it means to "troll", but this topic is clearly trolling!! Therefore, the OP has zero credibility.

In October 1986 I spent 3 weeks in Russia. Some of the nicest, most sincere people I have ever met.

They only had 3 TV stations in Moscow at that time and they were all Govt. propoganda so no one watched them.

Instead they spent time with each other and developed social skills and learned how to be good friends and support each other.

People everywhere can be magnifcient. Their Govts........not so much.

Zain, Ruth and Oliver do not equal nolf, cenzo and Lee. Not even close in high school. Especially not Ruth. College, yes. Ruth was something like 6th and 4th at states in PA and didn’t even really blossom until he went to Blair, which is New Jersey. We’re talking high school here...nolf had one loss, Lee had one loss and Oliver (despite being very elite) almost tripled their losses in high school alone. And zain was very good but he missed a year and has some losses young. They’re not equal at all. And I’ve spoken with Jody plenty of times and I wouldn’t have the gaul to put words in his mouth like you have. I’ve never had a convo with him on this subject but maybe one day I will. The talent in PA is always superb but the most elite stand out in the west. Sorry. You say you live here? Then you already know that. There aren’t a lot of Lee’s and kolat’s but guess where they’re from? That’s right...SW pa. But this is an Iowa board so let’s talk about Iowa and how they’re going to win NCAA’s this year...or maybe you’d care to wager something significant since we live so close to one another? I could meet you at young guns “headquarters” with cash in hand. Let me know, Charlie Brown. And one last thing, you should learn to be a good winner and loser. Penn state isn’t number 1 this year so what? You shouldn’t make an extra account just to come over here and rub people the wrong way. Says a lot about the type of person you are.

Oliver did have four losses as a freshman in high school, but he was a tiny 103. I think he weighed in the 80s and wrestled 103 as a freshman and still finished 2nd in AAA in PA.

Over half of the 280 HS wrestlers ranked by Intermat (as of Jan. 8) are from five states: Pennsylvania (51), New Jersey (31), California (29), Ohio (25), and Illinois (17). Any competitive program is likely going to have wrestlers from these states on its roster.

There are a few good PSU posters who are mature intelligent posters who love their University and the sport.
Unfortunately they are greatly over shadowed by the unbelievable amount of insecure trolls who constantly read HR looking for the slightest offense.
There is no person on HR who doesnt realize Pennsylvania has 4x the amount of talent as Iowa does in its youth programs. But Pennsylvania coincidentally also has 4x the population and they fail to see the correlation between the two.

Cadet World Champ and was not allowed to wrestle due to transfer rules.
Oliver did have four losses as a freshman in high school, but he was a tiny 103. I think he weighed in the 80s and wrestled 103 as a freshman and still finished 2nd in AAA in PA.
Fellas, fellas, they were very good...amazing even. I know these things about them too (minus JO weighing 80 lbs). I’m saying they were not Spencer or Kolat good in high school. You see, guys from the eastern part and central part of Pa have a problem with the cream of the crop being from my little neck of the woods. They will fight it until they’re blue in the face and mention chance as their comparison to Kolat or Spencer. To me, it’s laughable but maybe I’m biased and a little crazy. But I saw him live and didn’t see what I saw with the other two mentioned. Not even close. Zain might be the greatest at 149 of all time in college and he was better than chance in high school. He was phenomenal but for comparison purposes, missing a year in high school matters a little. I know he was made fun of and transferred and all of that. And JO was amazing in high school too. I don’t think it’s a slight to say they weren’t as good as lee and Kolat but who was (from pa)? I should’ve just made a burner account and argued this over on that other site but this pest is over here...

Quit assuming I put words into anyones mouth. Spoke to Jody about this exact topic at an event a couple years ago. Pat was there as well....he was a neighbor of mine at the time. Busy day so I'll have to reply later to the rest of that mess you just posted. Actually have to figure out wth youre talking about in regards to colleg or highschool accomplishments. Just assumed you meant college considering HS 4 timer Marstellar is a joke to you. Ill dig into it though but do suspect Ill match wrestler for wrestler there as well. The central and eastern parts of the state dominated brackets throughout the history of PA wrestling. To be honest, through most of it, Bedford, Cambria and Somerset counties where we are from was an afterthought for most of people outside of the area Haselrig was a beast but most years we'd get excited because a guy like Kaltembaugh (may he RIP) would break through. You had your Easters, Beaujons, the Warnicks but they were few and far between for stretches. Nicky Roberts (may he RIP) was probably the best HS wrestler from the area unless you wanna go way back then I'd say Jan Clark from Northern Bedford.
All I read was blah blah blah I don’t want to bet. Did I get that right?

Fellas, fellas, they were very good...amazing even. I know these things about them too (minus JO weighing 80 lbs). I’m saying they were not Spencer or Kolat good in high school. You see, guys from the eastern part and central part of Pa have a problem with the cream of the crop being from my little neck of the woods. They will fight it until they’re blue in the face and mention chance as their comparison to Kolat or Spencer. To me, it’s laughable but maybe I’m biased and a little crazy. But I saw him live and didn’t see what I saw with the other two mentioned. Not even close. Zain might be the greatest at 149 of all time in college and he was better than chance in high school. He was phenomenal but for comparison purposes, missing a year in high school matters a little. I know he was made fun of and transferred and all of that. And JO was amazing in high school too. I don’t think it’s a slight to say they weren’t as good as lee and Kolat but who was (from pa)? I should’ve just made a burner account and argued this over on that other site but this pest is over here...
You're an idiot. Quit trying to fool Hawkeye fans by making it sound as if you are in the "hub" of PA wrestling because you are not.First of all...your neck of the woods? You keep bringing up Spencer and Kolat yet neither of them were near your neck of the woods...1 1/2 drive for you. Maybe 2 to Jefferson Morgan? As for your neck of the woods (Somerset,Cambria and Bedford counties) rarely do you get big time college coaches like Brands or Cael at our schools recruiting kids. Its better than it used to be but we are still lucky to see a kid a year go to a top program. And top 10 kids in their weight are few and far between.

As for your bet, I dont gamble but even if I did I"d make sure odds are in my favor. Unlike you I use my head. And yes...right now the odds would not be in my favor.

Last edited:
I
thought you were busy today,sorry this was not for you neo,bad timing
I am. Stepped away for a minute or two from teaching complete idiots all day on how to quote people in forums but I'm back at it now.

Btw, if I don't get to you tonight, I'll hit you up first thing in the morning.

You're an idiot. Quit trying to fool Hawkeye fans by making it sound as if you are in the "hub" of PA wrestling because you are not.First of all...your neck of the woods? You keep bringing up Spencer and Kolat yet neither of them were near your neck of the woods...1 1/2 drive for you. Maybe 2 to Jefferson Morgan? As for your neck of the woods (Somerset,Cambria and Bedford counties) rarely do you get big time college coaches like Brands or Cael at our schools recruiting kids. Its better than it used to be but we are still lucky to see a kid a year go to a top program. And top 10 kids in their weight are few and far between.

As for your bet, I dont gamble but even if I did I"d make sure odds are in my favor. Unlike you I use my head. And yes...right now the odds would not be in my favor.
How cute of you to go all the way back in my messages and find that I went to trinity high school...except I went to trinity high school in Washington, pa. Not the other one, dickless. You’re the idiot. Why would I talk about southwestern pa and my kids who went to young guns if I lived out there? I’ve love all over western pa for work over the years but I grew up in Washington which is nowhere near 1.5-2 hrs away you ignorant SOB. It’s right in the “hub”. And I figured you’d say something about not wanting to bet. See, it’s you who doesn’t live here. I know that much or you’d actually know what you’re talking about. Anything else?

125 - PA
133 - PA
141 - PA
149 - FL
157 - PA
165 - OH
174 - PA
184 - IL
197 - IL
285 - IL
I love conversion stories! Their Iowans now!

How cute of you to go all the way back in my messages and find that I went to trinity high school...except I went to trinity high school in Washington, pa. Not the other one, dickless. You’re the idiot. Why would I talk about southwestern pa and my kids who went to young guns if I lived out there? I’ve love all over western pa for work over the years but I grew up in Washington which is nowhere near 1.5-2 hrs away you ignorant SOB. It’s right in the “hub”. And I figured you’d say something about not wanting to bet. See, it’s you who doesn’t live here. I know that much or you’d actually know what you’re talking about. Anything else?
Wtf. I'm about done arguing with you. Who said I knew you went to Trinity. Where in my post did I mention that. And the other Trinity I believe is way out in D3 near York or Harrisburg maybe. Clearly not SwPa. The one where Ryan Deihl transferred to from West Virginia. So yeah....if you are indeed in SW Pa an idiot would know you are not from that one. As for Wahington Pa I was there just yesterday for work. I didnt drive there directly but maybe 2 hours drive from Jtown? Yep.....I do live in SW Pa. A little misunderstanding though, you made it sound as if you are from my part of SW Pa after saying you'd meet me so some of my comments do reflect that. Matter of fact, I can just about look out my Window and see the UPJ campus where Jody coaches. An area that really isnt considered that strong for hs wrestling.

The bottom line in all this anyway is that western pa wrestling is not anymore tougher than many other parts. History proves that. The hs rankings this year prove it. Brackets throughout history proves it. Of course the Pittsburgh area is tough. Popolulation alone gaurantees that. Everyone knows this but theres tough wrestling throughout entire state.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT