ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up

The club that produces the best PA guys is run by an IOWA guy how does that feel.
Iowa should always get some great PA kids. Theres just so many of them so if they are a top program then they should expect to be able to get them. PSU cant get them all.

That said, I can see Taylors club quickly challenging Young Guns for club supremacy in the state soon. Jody is a great guy, does a helluva job and is well respected here in the area. It wont be easy..

It’s not like Iowa high school wrestlers are having a bunch of success wrestling for other schools. It’s hard to think of any local recruit that went elsewhere that we wish we had. Closest would have been Teske and it didn’t work out for him obviously.

Reactions: el dub
Well this was fun. Goodnight folks.

Btw...stupid thread. I dont give a shit where PSU get its kids if it means national titles. To suspect you guys care where the Hawkeyes get theirs is moronic...

How do native Iowans feel about half the starting line up being from PA and no Iowans in the starting line up?

125 - PA
133 - PA
141 - PA
149 - FL
157 - PA
165 - OH
174 - PA
184 - IL
197 - IL
285 - IL
I'm sure Iowa feels better than PSU, who also has very few Pennsylvania starters, and loses their in-state recruits to Iowa. Iowa has no problem getting quality in-state recruits and only lost Teske to PSU (and look how that worked out). People should focus on the fact the best wrestling school of the decade only has 2 Penn starters, and lost on Teasdale, Lee, Murin, and lots of other quality talent to other schools....

PSU
125- Who knows but it was Teske - IA
133 - AZ
141- IND
149 - Penn
157 - MN
165 - Penn
174 - MN
184 - MD
197 - NY
HWT - NJ/CA

Reactions: Grip220
Iowa should always get some great PA kids. Theres just so many of them so if they are a top program then they should expect to be able to get them. PSU cant get them all.

That said, I can see Taylors club quickly challenging Young Guns for club supremacy in the state soon. Jody is a great guy, does a helluva job and is well respected here in the area. It wont be easy..
Negative. Most of the talent is closer to young guns. I know you and your cronies would have everyone believe the real talent is on the other side of the state but everybody knows that’s just not true. So unless these families all of a sudden move out that way for Taylor’s club ( or be willing to drive a lot farther at least), I don’t see him matching or surpassing what stritt has accomplished. Plus, David Taylor is an attention whore whose aspirations, I’m sure, we’ll exceed that of a lowly (no offense to hard working club coaches out there) club coach. He’ll be like Edgar Snyder at best...the face of the club but never present. That won’t be enough. Taylor will probably coach college when his freestyle career is over anyway. The hell are you talking about?

Negative. Most of the talent is closer to young guns. I know you and your cronies would have everyone believe the real talent is on the other side of the state but everybody knows that’s just not true. So unless these families all of a sudden move out that way for Taylor’s club ( or be willing to drive a lot farther at least), I don’t see him matching or surpassing what stritt has accomplished. Plus, David Taylor is an attention whore whose aspirations, I’m sure, we’ll exceed that of a lowly (no offense to hard working club coaches out there) club coach. He’ll be like Edgar Snyder at best...the face of the club but never present. That won’t be enough. Taylor will probably coach college when his freestyle career is over anyway. The hell are you talking about?
Well....you might want to take a look at intermats top 20 rankings for each weight class then. The way I'm seeing it....over 83% percent of those PA kids that are ranked are nowhere near a young guns club. In fact, are any of them ranked even a member of young guns? Hillegas maybe. Maybe the kid from Dubois.

You dont know anything about PA wrestling. Everyone knows the state is loaded from border to border.. The level of talent compared to others in each region changes all the time depending on any given year. It just so happens this year most of the top dogs are in central and eastern parts of the state which is unfortunate considering those areas are considered Nittany Lion nation...

Last edited:
Well....you might want to take a look at intermats top 20 rankings for each weight class then. The way I'm seeing it....over 83% percent of those PA kids that are ranked are nowhere near a young guns club. In fact, are any of them ranked even a member of young guns? Hillegas maybe. Maybe the kid from Dubois.

You dont know anything about PA wrestling. Everyone knows the state is loaded from border to border.. The level of talent compared to others in each region changes all the time depending on any given year. It just so happens this year most of the top dogs are in central and eastern parts of the state which is unfortunate considering those areas are considered Nittany Lion nation...
Yeah, except I live here in SW pa. You’re some special kind of stupid. Tell me, who are the top dogs from the central and eastern parts of the state from the past several years that you speak of...since it changes from year to year? You won’t come up with names like Spencer Lee, Vincenzo, nolf (getting closer to central), nico or further back with Moore or Kolat and countless others. Who do you have, Marsteller? Joke. No, bud you don’t know anything about PA wrestling. You mention hillegas...pretty sure he was with quest for years maybe mixed in some young guns but I never saw him. Throw out some studs that even come close to the ones I mentioned. Hell, name one. But yeah, David Taylor is going to have a club that rivals young guns in the next few years. You get credit for the 83% references but you still fail because you’re a troll on the wrong board who’s too ignorant to realize that the young guns’ locations are in the hotbed of young Pa wrestling talent with a terrific coach. If DT opened a club up here, maybe it would contend but as it stands there’s no way.

How do native Iowans feel about half the starting line up being from PA and no Iowans in the starting line up?

125 - PA
133 - PA
141 - PA
149 - FL
157 - PA
165 - OH
174 - PA
184 - IL
197 - IL
285 - IL
It is called recruiting, like in every other collegiate sport...

tenor.gif

Yeah, except I live here in SW pa. You’re some special kind of stupid. Tell me, who are the top dogs from the central and eastern parts of the state from the past several years that you speak of...since it changes from year to year? You won’t come up with names like Spencer Lee, Vincenzo, nolf (getting closer to central), nico or further back with Moore or Kolat and countless others. Who do you have, Marsteller? Joke. No, bud you don’t know anything about PA wrestling. You mention hillegas...pretty sure he was with quest for years maybe mixed in some young guns but I never saw him. Throw out some studs that even come close to the ones I mentioned. Hell, name one. But yeah, David Taylor is going to have a club that rivals young guns in the next few years. You get credit for the 83% references but you still fail because you’re a troll on the wrong board who’s too ignorant to realize that the young guns’ locations are in the hotbed of young Pa wrestling talent with a terrific coach. If DT opened a club up here, maybe it would contend but as it stands there’s no way.
Who said anything about the past few years? The western part of the state had a nice run for awhile but before that it was the central part and east. Its now trending that way again. The current rankings show that. Its cyclical....always has been and always will be. Or hell...maybe I just imagined it was the Eastons, Nazareths and Bald Eagle Areas of the state dominating things out there.

Btw, I live less than 5 minute walk from young guns headquarters. Jody himself would tell you it was a pefect storm for talent during that run. He would also tell you back in the day the central part of state and the east always had the powerhouse programs. Oh and guess what. According to the rankings this year all the studs are out that way again. And I'll match you wrestler for wrestler all day every day if you want to go that route. You give me Nolf, Cenzo and Spencer and Ill give you a Zain, Ruth or Jordan Oliver.

Last edited:
How do native Pennsylvanians feel about 70% of PSU's starting lineup being from out-of-state?

You sound like a person who really doesnt know wrestling history. Yea PSU fan base riding high vocal because of the last 10 yrs. Iowa fan base was same when they started the run, but before 1975 there wasnt much to say. Ok st and iowa st were the big dogs even PSU won a natty in 1953. Dont post much here but when ur dealing with over the top fan base (iowa,Psu,Oh st Ect... ) you have to on occasion lol

You're missing the point. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has always produced great wrestling talent. It's PSU fans that think the sport started 10 years ago. "Pennsylvania" and "PSU fans" are not the same thing.

I’d like to see a little more diversity in the lineup. Like a couple Russians or Eastern Europeans. Almost had a Cuban for next year. The Turks (not Vince) have some young studs that Might enjoy the IOWA coeds.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
It’s not like Iowa high school wrestlers are having a bunch of success wrestling for other schools. It’s hard to think of any local recruit that went elsewhere that we wish we had. Closest would have been Teske and it didn’t work out for him obviously.
I would say Sloan would have been a great addition.

I would say Sloan would have been a great addition.
Yeah, good catch and obviously I forgot Drew Foster from UNI. I was thinking of kids that we really wanted from a recruiting standpoint. Unless I’m mistaken these kids were under the radar and it was hard to predict they would end up having that kind of success.

Reactions: wasdt21
Yeah, good catch and obviously I forgot Drew Foster from UNI. I was thinking of kids that we really wanted from a recruiting standpoint. Unless I’m mistaken these kids were under the radar and it was hard to predict they would end up having that kind of success.
Yeah I’d agree with that. Can you imagine the depth we’d have at the upper weights if they were with team?

Who said anything about the past few years? The western part of the state had a nice run for awhile but before that it was the central part and east. Its now trending that way again. The current rankings show that. Its cyclical....always has been and always will be. Or hell...maybe I just imagined it was the Eastons, Nazareths and Bald Eagle Areas of the state dominating things out there.

Btw, I live less than 5 minute walk from young guns headquarters. Jody himself would tell you it was a pefect storm for talent during that run. He would also tell you back in the day the central part of state and the east always had the powerhouse programs. Oh and guess what. According to the rankings this year all the studs are out that way again. And I'll match you wrestler for wrestler all day every day if you want to go that route. You give me Nolf, Cenzo and Spencer and Ill give you a Zain, Ruth or Jordan Oliver.
Zain, Ruth and Oliver do not equal nolf, cenzo and Lee. Not even close in high school. Especially not Ruth. College, yes. Ruth was something like 6th and 4th at states in PA and didn’t even really blossom until he went to Blair, which is New Jersey. We’re talking high school here...nolf had one loss, Lee had one loss and Oliver (despite being very elite) almost tripled their losses in high school alone. And zain was very good but he missed a year and has some losses young. They’re not equal at all. And I’ve spoken with Jody plenty of times and I wouldn’t have the gaul to put words in his mouth like you have. I’ve never had a convo with him on this subject but maybe one day I will. The talent in PA is always superb but the most elite stand out in the west. Sorry. You say you live here? Then you already know that. There aren’t a lot of Lee’s and kolat’s but guess where they’re from? That’s right...SW pa. But this is an Iowa board so let’s talk about Iowa and how they’re going to win NCAA’s this year...or maybe you’d care to wager something significant since we live so close to one another? I could meet you at young guns “headquarters” with cash in hand. Let me know, Charlie Brown. And one last thing, you should learn to be a good winner and loser. Penn state isn’t number 1 this year so what? You shouldn’t make an extra account just to come over here and rub people the wrong way. Says a lot about the type of person you are.

Damn these PSU nuts are really banking on this Taylor club. Drives them crazy that a good chunk of these kids look up to Iowa. Strit has more character in his little pinkey than Taylor has in his whole self absorbed lab trained body. Strit is salt of the earth and it shows in the kids he gets to coach. Not sure I get that salt of the earth feeling with Taylor.

Damn these PSU nuts are really banking on this Taylor club. Drives them crazy that a good chunk of these kids look up to Iowa. Strit has more character in his little pinkey than Taylor has in his whole self absorbed lab trained body. Strit is salt of the earth and it shows in the kids he gets to coach. Not sure I get that salt of the earth feeling with Taylor.
Considering two of the very best to come out of Young Guns went to PSU, I'd say your comments here border on insanity.

Zain, Ruth and Oliver do not equal nolf, cenzo and Lee. Not even close in high school. Especially not Ruth. College, yes. Ruth was something like 6th and 4th at states in PA and didn’t even really blossom until he went to Blair, which is New Jersey. We’re talking high school here...nolf had one loss, Lee had one loss and Oliver (despite being very elite) almost tripled their losses in high school alone. And zain was very good but he missed a year and has some losses young. They’re not equal at all. And I’ve spoken with Jody plenty of times and I wouldn’t have the gaul to put words in his mouth like you have. I’ve never had a convo with him on this subject but maybe one day I will. The talent in PA is always superb but the most elite stand out in the west. Sorry. You say you live here? Then you already know that. There aren’t a lot of Lee’s and kolat’s but guess where they’re from? That’s right...SW pa. But this is an Iowa board so let’s talk about Iowa and how they’re going to win NCAA’s this year...or maybe you’d care to wager something significant since we live so close to one another? I could meet you at young guns “headquarters” with cash in hand. Let me know, Charlie Brown. And one last thing, you should learn to be a good winner and loser. Penn state isn’t number 1 this year so what? You shouldn’t make an extra account just to come over here and rub people the wrong way. Says a lot about the type of person you are.
Quit assuming I put words into anyones mouth. Spoke to Jody about this exact topic at an event a couple years ago. Pat was there as well....he was a neighbor of mine at the time. Busy day so I'll have to reply later to the rest of that mess you just posted. Actually have to figure out wth youre talking about in regards to colleg or highschool accomplishments. Just assumed you meant college considering HS 4 timer Marstellar is a joke to you. Ill dig into it though but do suspect Ill match wrestler for wrestler there as well. The central and eastern parts of the state dominated brackets throughout the history of PA wrestling. To be honest, through most of it, Bedford, Cambria and Somerset counties where we are from was an afterthought for most of people outside of the area Haselrig was a beast but most years we'd get excited because a guy like Kaltembaugh (may he RIP) would break through. You had your Easters, Beaujons, the Warnicks but they were few and far between for stretches. Nicky Roberts (may he RIP) was probably the best HS wrestler from the area unless you wanna go way back then I'd say Jan Clark from Northern Bedford.

Last edited:
A friend of mine lives in South Central MN. One of the local stud wrestlers went to Iowa. The young man didn't crack the lineup during his time at Iowa and when he was done, he returned home. He still works out with the local club and constantly talks about how awesome it was to be in the room at Iowa.

So, I hope Spencer and the four guys that Cael didn't recruit return home after 5 years with a closet full of Hawkeye gear, work out with their local club and talk about how aweseome it was to wrestle in front of 10K screaming Iowawegians when they wrestled Chattanooga.

Quit assuming I put words into anyones mouth. Spoke to Jody about this exact topic at an event a couple years ago. Pat was there as well....he was a neighbor of mine at the time. Busy day so I'll have to reply later to the rest of that mess you just posted. Actually have to figure out wth youre talking about in regards to colleg or highschool accomplishments. Just assumed you meant college considering HS 4 timer Marstellar is a joke to you. Ill dig into it though but do suspect Ill match wrestler for wrestler there as well. The central and eastern parts of the state dominated brackets throughout the history of PA wrestling. To be honest, through most of it, Bedford, Cambria and Somerset counties where we are from was an afterthought for most of people outside of the area Haselrig was a beast but most years we'd get excited because a guy like Kaltembaugh (may he RIP) would break through. You had your Easters, Beaujons, the Warnicks but they were few and far between for stretches. Nicky Roberts (may he RIP) was probably the best HS wrestler from the area outside of Haselrig.
#FTGF

Considering two of the very best to come out of Young Guns went to PSU, I'd say your comments here border on insanity.
Of course they are gonna get a lot of Young Guns kids it is in your state. But, if there was an Iowa club as good as PA Young Guns and any of the kids went to PSU it would bother me. Let alone a pipeline of them with more and more bound to with Spencer's influence. Why do you think PSU obsesses about anti-recruiting Iowa in their pitches to any kid that has Iowa in their schools? Giving power point presentations and custom videos on the subject to the kid and their parents. He knows this is an issue. He left Iowa because he couldn't beat Brands at recruiting in Iowa. Now he moved half way across the country and he is dealing with it again. It may be hard to think of Iowa as this, but we are a sleeping giant and if they get on a roll with the new super recruits it will be hard to stop.

The whole fun shtick is his way of positioning himself as the anti-Iowa. It worked for a while. It is getting old and hopefully more of the wrong type of top recruits are buying still.

Of course they are gonna get a lot of Young Guns kids it is in your state. But, if there was an Iowa club as good as PA Young Guns and any of the kids went to PSU it would bother me. Let alone a pipeline of them with more and more bound to with Spencer's influence. Why do you think PSU obsesses about anti-recruiting Iowa in their pitches to any kid that has Iowa in their schools? Giving power point presentations and custom videos on the subject to the kid and their parents. He knows this is an issue. He left Iowa because he couldn't beat Brands at recruiting in Iowa. Now he moved half way across the country and he is dealing with it again. It may be hard to think of Iowa as this, but we are a sleeping giant and if they get on a roll with the new super recruits it will be hard to stop.

The whole fun shtick is his way of positioning himself as the anti-Iowa. It worked for a while. It is getting old and hopefully more of the wrong type of top recruits are buying still.
BOOM mic drop and good night!

PSA - Not sure who the trouble maker is, but the ignore feature is a great tool.

And for the record, not sure why in wrestling this is an issue. I can't think of a another sport where getting a talented kid from out of state is an issue. Normally, ability to recruit in hotbed states is something you look for when hiring assistant coaches. By football or basketball standards, Terry and Morningstar are complete recruiting studs. Get the best talent that fits the program needs and mentality, who cares where they come from. Once here, they're Hawkeyes.

PSA - Not sure who the trouble maker is, but the ignore feature is a great tool.

And for the record, not sure why in wrestling this is an issue. I can't think of a another sport where getting a talented kid from out of state is an issue. Normally, ability to recruit in hotbed states is something you look for when hiring assistant coaches. By football or basketball standards, Terry and Morningstar are complete recruiting studs. Get the best talent that fits the program needs and mentality, who cares where they come from. Once here, they're Hawkeyes.

SOME Penn State fans seem to think all good things originate in Pennsylvania and thus want validation of “Our state is better”.

they want you to tell them how great their state is in some way somehow. If it’s not complimenting the in state college, then it’s complimenting the people from there.

Wrestling is still considered a "niche" sport and the high school talent over the years has been somewhat localized. Talent wise, there has been a bit of an improvement in some parts of the country, but there are still many States/areas where high school wrestling is pretty weak, imo.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT