ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Might not be a bad thing. Get Jennie Baranczyk several years of experience in Big Ten basketball, and then come back to Iowa when Coach Bluder retires.

It may be a few years before Lisa retires, who knows, but if Jennie goes to Wisconsin and has success I can't see her coming back to Iowa, especially from another Big Ten school.

Taylor Kissinger and Anaya Peoples were singled out as impressive at the EBATop40 National Camp

CcBY1BHWIAADsHd.jpg

Taylor.

Mukwonago's Cera looks to close out her career on top

Above, in photos: Bre Cera through the years
Mukwonago junior Bre Cera shoots over the Arrowhead defense. Staff photo by Carol Spaeth-Bauer.

lcr_frank_evan_2014.jpg

By Evan Frank

March 7, 2016

This was going to be Bre Cera and the Mukwonago girls basketball team's season. A senior headed to Iowa in the fall, Cera has been on the varsity squad for the past four years. Cera began her career at MHS with back-to-back WIAA Division 1 state-tournament appearances. With a loaded lineup coming into this season, Mukwonago was ranked No. 1 in the Wisconsin Sports Network preseason poll in D1. What could go wrong?

Cera and Mukwonago didn't have to wait long to find out the answer. The day after Thanksgiving in the second game of the season against Milwaukee Riverside, Cera went for a loose ball and jammed her right finger in the process. Broken fingers were nothing new to Cera, but this was different. A trainer knew immediately the hand was broken.

"It wasn't hurting at first, so I didn't think much of it," Cera said. "After that, I really started to feel the pain. The first thing that entered my mind was that at the beginning of the season, this is probably the most excited I've ever been for a season. I knew we had a lot of potential, and this was my last year. I think I was upset I was going to miss out on the season I was looking forward to."

But as Cera said, it could have been much worse. She underwent surgery in December and missed nearly two months of action and 12 games. Mukwonago incurred its only three losses of the 2015-16 campaign in that stretch but still went 9-3 while Cera sat on the sidelines. It spoke to the depth of coach Rick Kolinske's squad. But of course, Mukwonago was even more dangerous with Cera on the floor.

A concern for Cera was that the injury happened to her shooting hand. When she was able to be active in practices, Cera would do everything left handed. The rehabilitation started slow at first but ramped up quickly.

"It went slow for a long time, then it kind of went fast," Cera said. "All of a sudden, I could do some defensive drills. I still had to wear something over it to protect it, but I could jump in here and there doing stuff without shooting and having contact."

Kolinske felt Cera handled the injury well.

"It was very difficult for her to watch from the sidelines, but she never stopped working to return to the team as soon as possible," Kolinske said. "She was so determined to return as soon as possible. She not only did the rehab, but she also continued to do everything that she could at practice, left handed, as well as all the conditioning."

Cera returned on Jan. 22 in a road contest against Catholic Memorial. At first, Cera's shot felt different. It took a little while to be more comfortable, and through 14 games, Cera averages 12.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists a game.

The scoring has dipped compared to last season's nearly 17 points per game, but the dynamic of the team has changed. Freshman Grace Beyer has shot 43 percent from 3-point range (on 79 attempts) and converted 59 of 67 free throws (88 percent). Younger players like Alaina Nash and Natalie Andersen have also been crucial parts to this year's squad.

"When I was injured, obviously I wasn't happy about it," Cera said. "But I thought it was kind of nice just because our younger players could get in and get more experience and get more comfortable with the way things are going. With me being on the sideline, I had more of an opportunity to watch, see little things and help them out in practice. If I saw things in games, I could point it out and help them out in that way. I thought a lot of our younger players really grew as players during that period. Now that I'm back in the flow, and we're all back together. Our team isn't just dominated by one or two of us. It's an entire team effort."

Some things never change, though. Cera still wrecks defenses with her drives in the lane. Kolinske also thinks the senior's defense has been outstanding.

"Bre has always been a great defender, but the type of defense that I am seeing out of her now is better than I have ever seen," Kolinske said. "It is such a luxury to have a player like Bre, who can completely shut down our opponents' best player. It's no coincidence that seven of the 14 games that she has played in, we have held our opponent to their lowest point total of their season."

Cera and company have two more games to do whatever it takes to get the school its first state title. It may not have gone exactly as initially planned, but it may still be Bre Cera and Mukwonago's season after all.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Class of 2017 shooting guard Taylor Kissinger of Minden, Neb., showcased her skills on a variety of levels during camp. Kissinger can attack and get to the rim, use screens to get an open jumper, and consistently drain 3-pointers in transition. She had a span of possessions where she pulled up for back-to-back 3-pointers, and then weaved her way through the defense for an easy pull up in the lane. She has a diverse skill set and can score in bunches.

Katlyn Gilbert, a class of 2018 guard from Indianapolis, Ind., had an impressive showing throughout the camp making plays on both ends of the floor. Her wingspan allows her to create from defensive deflections and transition to the other end for an easy bucket. Gilbert is a powerful perimeter player who uses her size well in the paint, but will also pull from outside and knock down perimeter jumpers.

From Day 2 of the EBA Top40 Camp. Two Iowa targets.
Taylor-Kissinger-EBAT40-600.jpg

Taylor

Detroit Country Day | Forward - 6'0" Destiny Pitts
One of the best shooters in the state. Pitts can shoot the three-pointer and has an excellent pull up off the dribble. Pitts had 12 points, six assists and five rebounds in a 67-13 victory over Warren Michigan Collegiate in a Class B district semifinal Pitts is averaging 16 points and nine rebounds for a team that will play Madison Heights Lamphere in a district final on Saturday.
66AD7A5B-5056-8946-895E7E143CBDA231_W234_Hauto.jpg

Southfield-Lathrup | Guard - 5'10" Deja Church
A tough, physical guard, Church is excellent at attacking the basket. Her perimeter shot is much improved over last season. Church had 23 points and eight rebounds in a 60-40 victory over Detroit Renaissance in a district semifinal. She’s averaging 17 points and six rebounds for a team that will play for a Class A district title against Southfield on Friday.
662C51C6-5056-8946-8956DEEAA3654EDF_W234_Hauto.png

Yes, they won. Bre hit a bunch of pressure FT down the stretch. Won by 4, 49-45 Oak Creek hit a meaningless 3 at the end.
Bre had 23. She was 6-12 from the field, 11-12 from the FT line.
They will play Verona for the title..

Thanks for the link oak. Looking forward to tomorrow nights game. Too much going on this time of year, but hope to catch some boys too. I like Bre's game and her defense will be welcome.

Tough game for Mukwonago and Bre tonight. I think Bre's first three buckets had underneath contact with no call, par for Wisconsin high school officiating. She hurt the same hand she broke in the first half but it seems to be more muscular than anything. We will see what tomorrow holds

The refs did let it get rough on drives to the hoop. I was wondering if Bre was ever going to get a call, it wasn't just contact, it was hard contact. But she played through it and came out on top.

Oak did Iowa ever recruit Sidney Cooks? I didn't see Iowa listed in her profile. Her team won Thursday night by 2. She spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble, and fouled out with 3-4 min. left. I would say she is the Jarod Uthoff of womens basketball. Tall & skinny and can shoot from anywhere.

Iowa did look at Cooks early, but Sidney seemed to have her sights set on the perennial top 10 teams.
On the Bre and contact without alls, at least she will be B1G officiating ready. :):)
In the game last night , it almost seemed like they thought they had to call things differently against Bre to keep the game close.

Reactions: BDinIC
I agree.I watched the Verona-Appleton North game. Verona had a lot of size and played well.

Bre is an impressive player, that spin move in transition was a thing of beauty. She brings an intensity and focus much like Sam Logic did.

Will she be in Iowa City for GTL summer league? Most incoming FR do, and take a few summer classes to get a start.

Bre is an impressive player, that spin move in transition was a thing of beauty. She brings an intensity and focus much like Sam Logic did.
Bre's motor is ridiculous...will never give in. Honestly though, taking 16 shots is a lot for her because she likes to make the right play much like logic.

Good for lexis. Wisconsin has a rule that you have to play in so many games to be considered for miss bball. I don't know the number, but I was told Bre didn't have enough games played this year to be considered.

RI's Beal earns All-State first-team honors from IBCA

Rock Island freshman guard Brea Beal earned Class 3A/4A All-State first-team honors from the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association [... She] was the only underclassman on the 15-member first team. Twelve of the honorees were seniors. Beal, who earned Class 4A All-State second-team honors from The Associated Press, averaged a team-best 16.7 points per game and shot 47.2 percent (211-of-447) from the field. On top of that, she averaged 6.7 rebounds, 3.3 steals and 2.9 assists.

Any news on Tyasha Harris and where or when she may announce?

Signing period starts April 13th so hopefully we will get some news soon. I remember non-poster said he spoke to her coach & she was down to Iowa or South Carolina.

Hawkeyes for 2016 All 4 members of the 18th-ranked, 2016 recruiting class are 1st team all-state honorees this year!

Hawkeyes for 2016 All 4 members of the 18th-ranked, 2016 recruiting class are 1st team all-state honorees this year!
Wasn't that the case for the 2015 class also? Or didn't Larson make all-state?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT