ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Akwuba

Can someone explain briefly how NIL money works? Is it money directly from the university athletic department? Are there limits, beyond the money that a school is willing to pay?...
No limits. It act as a free market as anything else.

Universities can directly pay, but it gets tricky and most haven’t touched this avenue yet, but you’re starting to see it now with things like “GPA incentives”

Right now, it looks like it’s going to shape into the largest companies w/the biggest marketing spends partnering with Universities, essentially creating ‘slush’ funds for big-market players. I’m all for it.

I personally know that Kum & Go, Pella, Mid-American Energy, Rockwell, and a few financial and law groups have significant interest in getting involved with Iowa for something similar to what Miami just did for that K-State transfer. Folks are underselling Iowa’s NIL ceiling - we have one of the most advanced entrepreneurial resource centers in the country that consistently brings in founders with serious $$$$. Pair that with no professional teams and a state that loves their Hawkeyes and sports in general.. cash ain’t the problem in Iowa City, I promise you.

Universities can directly pay, but it gets tricky and most haven’t touched this avenue yet, but you’re starting to see it now with things like “GPA incentives”

Right now, it looks like it’s going to shape into the largest companies w/the biggest marketing spends partnering with Universities, essentially creating ‘slush’ funds for big-market players. I’m all for it.

I personally know that Kum & Go, Pella, Mid-American Energy, Rockwell, and a few financial and law groups have significant interest in getting involved with Iowa for something similar to what Miami just did for that K-State transfer. Folks are underselling Iowa’s NIL ceiling - we have one of the most advanced entrepreneurial resource centers in the country that consistently brings in founders with serious $$$$. Pair that with no professional teams and a state that loves their Hawkeyes and sports in general.. cash ain’t the problem in Iowa City, I promise you.
Yeah I never understood why Iowa fans were freaking out--there's more ways to get NIL deals than just collectives. Iowa consistently is near the top in the Big Ten in donors. NIL may legitimately benefit Iowa in recruiting. The player's seem to have figured it out--I'd be curious to know how much money the Murrays made off merch and autograph signings. We know that Caitlin has raked in money from larger companies like Hyvee and H&R Block as well as her merch. Connor and Patrick have a good amount of ads on their podcast. We may not have a LifeWallet just handing out a quarter mil, but Iowa fans support their player's and local businesses really well. Iowa players don't have professional players to compete with for cutting ads for local businesses. The biggest thing that we may be competing with is if other schools don't force their players to "work" for their NIL money by not having to cut ads, promos and appearances.

I agree about Kris- the more minutes that he's on the floor, the better Iowa will be. Someone has to play backup minutes at the 4 though, and Kris was definitely more foul-prone than his brother. I don't see anyone else on the roster helping at the 4 (please not CMac), and so I think FR will/should see time at 4 & 5.
Honestly Keegan was foul prone as a freshman also, and didn't get the kind of calls he probably did as Iowa's alpha. I would expect with the increased playing time, and exposure that Kris will make improvement in his foul rate...

Reactions: BBHawk
Honestly Keegan was foul prone as a freshman also, and didn't get the kind of calls he probably did as Iowa's alpha. I would expect with the increased playing time, and exposure that Kris will make improvement in his foul rate...
Keagan was making mistakes but seemed less emotional about it, even as a freshman. Kris is a little more firey, often making a mistake then fouling trying to make up for it. If he can tamp that down, he'll do much better this year.

There is a company named Kum & Go?😁

Reactions: AlvySinger
Ole Miss does have a Top 100 Big coming in next year whereas Iowa currently has Rebraca holding down that spot with two developing bigs in JO and Mulvey. He’d probably see about the same amount of playing time at either school.

Iowa is the better program on the court and in developing players. Ole Miss hasn’t had an NBA draft pick since 2010. He would also fit Iowa’s style of play perfectly, whereas Ole Miss goes at a much slower tempo(Louisiana is like Iowa in that regard)

That said, does any of that matter in the NIL era? Who knows. I hope he makes the best decision for his future aspirations.

Ole Miss does have a Top 100 Big coming in next year whereas Iowa currently has Rebraca holding down that spot with two developing bigs in JO and Mulvey. He’d probably see about the same amount of playing time at either school.

Iowa is the better program on the court and in developing players. Ole Miss hasn’t had an NBA draft pick since 2010. He would also fit Iowa’s style of play perfectly, whereas Ole Miss goes at a much slower tempo(Louisiana is like Iowa in that regard)

That said, does any of that matter in the NIL era? Who knows. I hope he makes the best decision for his future aspirations.
Unlike iowas style in football way fran plays is appealing to kids. Recent success Iowa has had along with our big including playing time available. Combine that with ole miss being pretty irrelevant in b-ball as you mentioned favors Iowa. No clue on make up of their roster but the big but is NIL $ and ole miss being SEC who knows.

I’d be ecstatic if Iowa got him allow kris to play the 4 primarily and also give rebreca who battled as an undersized 5 last year a chance to play there more. Plus be nice to have a shot blocking presence like him.

Reactions: amahawk
He was born in Montgomery, Alabama.

He most recently played in Louisiana.

Does he want to stay in the South (Mississippi)?

We'll soon find out.

My wife Margaret hopes he commits so that we can go on vacation.
Hold on Fran, the Lake is still frozen so we are not going to the Lake house just yet.

Reactions: Franisdaman
The whole team make-up improves if he comes- everyone can play their more natural positions rather than being forced to play one spot 'bigger'. I could see Kris at the 3 and the 4, Payton at the 2 (?) and the 3, Rebraca at the 4 and the 5. Cmon Theo!
in clutch situations you could run a lineup of:
TP
Payton
Khris
Filip
Theo

or flip-out Filip with Uhlis and play a full-press.
Can’t overstate how much we need a player with his exact skillset.

Reactions: hopstiguy61
in clutch situations you could run a lineup of:
TP
Payton
Khris
Filip
Theo

or flip-out Filip with Uhlis and play a full-press.
Can’t overstate how much we need a player with his exact skillset.

Gone are the days you play someone at the 4 who cannot shoot.

Looking at Theo's film has got me thinking that we mis-utilized Ahmad Wagner. He would've been the perfect small ball 5. Instead Fran had him out on the perimeter.

• Wow
Reactions: perryhawk
Looking at Theo's film has got me thinking that we mis-utilized Ahmad Wagner. He would've been the perfect small ball 5. Instead Fran had him out on the perimeter.
Ahmad Wagner? How tall was he?

FYI, Akwuba is listed as 6'11". He has very long arms, too. Here's a link to his profile on the Portland website from 2 years ago. Then they listed his wingspan at 7'4". Another nugget - he averaged over 10 blocks/game as a senior in high school!

The NFL lists Wagner as 6'5", FWIW.

Last edited:
Why would you predict that? I suppose if you’re an isu fan, that prolly has something to do with it. 😉

A) not an ISU fan
B) he's from the south. Do you folks really think he'd rather be in Iowa for the winter months? Logic, man.

No. Wagner would have been at a huge disadvantage at BOTH ends of the court defending players 6-7 inches taller than him and on the offensive end they could just hang out in the lane rim protecting due to no outside threat from him.

A) not an ISU fan
B) he's from the south. Do you folks really think he'd rather be in Iowa for the winter months? Logic, man.
Really hoping Theo analyzes this situation that his future is hinged on, that could potentially make him millions of dollars, setting up his family or his potential future family rather, up for life. I think spending a few months in the frigid cold winters of Iowa, and being away from home just might be worth it if we put him into the NBA. Chances aren’t great at his former programs and one of the two options he’s looking at now. Like people have already stated, It’s been 18 years since Ole Miss has had anyone drafted. I haven’t checked but I’d put money on them having 0 players currently on an NBA roster.

Weather and geography certainly can be a swaying factor. Family is one of my core values, and winter sucks balls in Iowa. This is a pivotal point in his life. The way I see it, when it comes to developing talent, winning games, elevating players into the professional realm and overall success of the program, forget even recent years (which we are skewed heavily in favor of us), we are the optimal choice. I hope he sees it that way, I mean it’s not like he has a choice who drafts him and where he ends up geographically a year from now anyway. You can sway GM’s and owners but you really don’t have that much leverage unless you’re a high first rounder.

God forbid he gets drafted by my Timberwolves, how will he ever survive!? It’s way colder up north!! 😂😭

Reactions: HawkGem10
Haha.
You ever been to Portland? We get more snow in 1 Iowa storm than they do all year.
Yes. I have friends who live there, and I have been several times. It's cold and damp there in the winter, and snow in parts. Ever hear of Mt Hood?

It's not Alabama. That won't discourage him if he wants to play basketball in the best league in the country.

Reactions: perryhawk
I know there is a wide divergence of opinion on Rebraca on this board. If Akwuba chooses Iowa, who will start at center and what is the distribution of minutes at center? I like Rebraca quite a bit, although he will never be a star and is more of a 4/5 player. I know next to nothing about Akwuba, except he has any incredibly long wingspan, and is probably more of a force near the basket. My guess, based on very little knowledge, is that Rebraca might play more total minutes, but some of his minutes will be at the 4. Maybe something like Center: Akwuba 24, Rebraca 12, Mulvey/Big O 4. At the 4, Kris 25, Rebraca 15 (still don't see Patrick as physical enough to play 4 or 5). Connor might also play some minutes at 4. I don't care who starts, and consider the distribution of minutes as more important, especially in crunch time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT