ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal around the league

890 in the portal as of 7:00a this morning. Insane (A few highlights: ISU has 11 in, Indiana has 21 in, Purdue has 19 in and Michigan State has 16 in and East Carolina leads the nation with 23 in! LOL)

890 in the portal as of 7:00a this morning. Insane (A few highlights: ISU has 11 in, Indiana has 21 in, Purdue has 19 in and Michigan State has 16 in and East Carolina leads the nation with 23 in! LOL)
Try to ring that cash register, no matter how good or bad you are.

Purdue is just Walter’s continuing to clean up the crap roster Brohm left him. Only lost like 2 Purdue wouldn’t have minded to keep.

A lot of the portal people are there because their scholarship was not going to be renewed. These people in the past usually just quietly went to The eastern illinoises of the world.

Mccord was an OK qb, but he was the weak link on that loaded offense. tosu has been used to a very high level performer at qb for a long time. It's unsurprising that Day wouldn't just give him the union card. I think it's highly likely that tosu will be able to replace that talent level at qb. From the standpoint of their current offensive firepower they'll have a harder time replacing Marvin Harrison, Jr.

Mccord was an OK qb, but he was the weak link on that loaded offense. tosu has been used to a very high level performer at qb for a long time. It's unsurprising that Day wouldn't just give him the union card. I think it's highly likely that tosu will be able to replace that talent level at qb. From the standpoint of their current offensive firepower they'll have a harder time replacing Marvin Harrison, Jr.
McCord wanted assurance he will be the starter in 24, Day said it’s an open competition. Marvin might return to tOSU for next year depending on the qb they get in the portal and $$$$$. Oh to be a college football player in this time and age.

OSU has about 10 in portal already, what's going on there?? Day not the answer? Too much talent? Both??

It’s called “fan” * natic ….. They are out of control and he is likely to be fired if he can’t figure out how to beat Michigan next year!

OSU has about 10 in portal already, what's going on there?? Day not the answer? Too much talent? Both??
It's now 15! NIL money, they don't like to pay it.

Post on X that McCord can't stand the heat from the fans after loss to the sign stealers.

I am assuming this means Cam Ward is all but a sure deal to OSU. Leonard was rumored to be an OSU target recently.

I think you are seeing the coaches like Ryan Day who know they need a great passer but also a very good running qb who can make big plays off script in the few games their teams will be in close contests. Qbs who scramble for first downs are like the BBall players who vacuum up offensive rebounds and more overall rebounds to give your team extra chances with the ball. And not only can scramble and run but scramble to evade the sack and throw the ball away to have 3rd and 7 rather than 3rd and 16.

The threat of a good QB draw on 3rd and 6 or so can really handcuff a defense

Kaleb Brown left OSU last year because he wasnt getting snaps. High school kids sign that LOI but after their freshman camp and season seeing 14 really good receivers on the team they tell themselves I can do a Charlie Jones and go to a team where I can get a ton of snaps and targets. And for a WR Iowa is a chance to really stick out

I doubt a lot of these players are wondering if their head coach coach is not the answer as they are mostly high testosterone loaded, prima donnas (receivers and running backs), and they want to be on the field.

Prolly wise to let all these teams blow their cash on these guys that iowa wasn’t gonna get anyway. We really need a QB but could sweep up a few role players for a fraction of one of the top 10 QBs in portal.
There isn't a salary cap. You do know this, right?

I think you are seeing the coaches like Ryan Day who know they need a great passer but also a very good running qb who can make big plays off script in the few games their teams will be in close contests. Qbs who scramble for first downs are like the BBall players who vacuum up offensive rebounds and more overall rebounds to give your team extra chances with the ball. And not only can scramble and run but scramble to evade the sack and throw the ball away to have 3rd and 7 rather than 3rd and 16.

The threat of a good QB draw on 3rd and 6 or so can really handcuff a defense
Absolutely.
A qb like McCord is rather pedestrian in the context of recent tosu qb talent with throwing and he's below what they've had running the ball/extending plays with legs. And, as you note, that is critical to their success for their expectations which is not just to make the playoffs but be in the title game regularly. Having a qb who is dangerous to run for a big gainer at any moment is the rule, not the exception, for what they think they need to do on offense.

Reactions: uihawk82
There isn't a salary cap. You do know this, right?
Obviously, but you really think fans are gonna throw 20 million every year at just the football team? I’m sure Nebby has deep pockets but it’s not like they are gonna pay all their players big money every year. Especially if… which is inevitable… they don’t compete with the big dogs. So yes, I know there is no salary cap, but ppl have limits

Obviously, but you really think fans are gonna throw 20 million every year at just the football team? I’m sure Nebby has deep pockets but it’s not like they are gonna pay all their players big money every year. Especially if… which is inevitable… they don’t compete with the big dogs. So yes, I know there is no salary cap, but ppl have limits
I would have to have a freakin' ton of money to write a big check to NIL. I don't care for it one bit.

Maybe if I had 50 mil .......

Talk about slappin' Ryan Day in the face. Fleming to PSU will give RD nightmares.
Wow, that is...not good for OSU. Huge NIL payday for him I'd guess?
Anyone surprised Iowa didn't have anyone else enter the portal as 1/2 was the cutoff? Although it can take a few days for the paperwork to clear so maybe not quite public just yet.

Wow, that is...not good for OSU. Huge NIL payday for him I'd guess?
Anyone surprised Iowa didn't have anyone else enter the portal as 1/2 was the cutoff? Although it can take a few days for the paperwork to clear so maybe not quite public just yet.
portal cut off for Iowa is the 6th, so there is time yet.

Athlon sports reports Georgia has lost 32 players (21 and 11) to the portal and NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT