ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal around the league

lol….. as compared to what we had this year? Yes.
Sure, if Big ten defenses were equal to Mac defenses, if Iowa had an actual OC, OL, WR coach...The list goes on, there is a reason he isn't being targeted, and he's from Iowa.

Wow, that is...not good for OSU. Huge NIL payday for him I'd guess?
Anyone surprised Iowa didn't have anyone else enter the portal as 1/2 was the cutoff? Although it can take a few days for the paperwork to clear so maybe not quite public just yet.
Iowa student-athletes have 5 days after last game to enter this portal cycle. So, by Saturday.

Reactions: squeezebox
OSU coach said they were sticking with their own QBs for next year.
Cam Ward declaring for NFL might have blown up their plan
So it's Devin Brown, the frosh from SD that played in the bowl or true frosh next year, highly rated Air Nolend?
They did secure the #1 recruit overall a WR to replace Harrison but I wonder if they drop off next year. Iowa goes to the Shoe next year.

OSU coach said they were sticking with their own QBs for next year.
Cam Ward declaring for NFL might have blown up their plan
So it's Devin Brown, the frosh from SD that played in the bowl or true frosh next year, highly rated Air Nolend?
They did secure the #1 recruit overall a WR to replace Harrison but I wonder if they drop off next year. Iowa goes to the Shoe next year.
Iowa got beat down by a TN team that had half their roster missing and a true freshman QB who accounted for 4 TD

I don’t see a quick turnaround for Iowa offense no matter who is hired

Iowa got beat down by a TN team that had half their roster missing and a true freshman QB who accounted for 4 TD

This is quite the statement. Have you looked at Iowa's schedule next year? It is not a world wrecker by any means. If Iowa even has a top 70 offense with the returners on defense, they are going to be more than solid.

What would it take in your view for Iowa to go from 130 - 70th ? Thats a huge jump and would be a return to around the KOK days

I am struggling to see the talent on the roster right now to do this.

Our OL play is god awful. Our WR can’t catch and have little to no speed

TE and RB are decent, but defenses can take them away if the above two groups fail to improve.

QB…..a kid with two broken legs. Another who ended up being the worst div 1 QB most of us have ever seen….and a freshman who didn’t get any reps but has some wheels

Do you think a new OC that has to retain the current position group coaches can reach 70th ?

Would there not be some learning curve involved for the offense ?

What would it take in your view for Iowa to go from 130 - 70th ? Thats a huge jump and would be a return to around the KOK days

TE and RB are decent, but defenses can take them away if the above two groups fail to improve.

QB…..a kid with two broken legs. Another who ended up being the worst div 1 QB most of us have ever seen….and a freshman who didn’t get any reps but has some wheels

Do you think a new OC that has to retain the current position group coaches can reach 70th ?

you are struggling to see talent on the roster? RB is deep, I am not sure any of them are the next coming of Shonn Greene, but they are more than serviceable. Lachey is a 1st round talent returning, Ostrenga certainly flashed this year.

OL: I will absolutely agree with you, and this is where #1 I would love for the new OC to bring an OL coach in, same goes for WR. However, if the scheme can change a bit and it isn't so GD complicated that would help. I would really love to see a transfer OT come in.

QB: Literally Ty Thompson is visiting this week former 5* guy, Marco looked more than serviceable as a QB, and I don't want to hear accuracy issues given his HS stats, that will come.

1. Who says the new OC has to keep the Oline coach which takes me to

2. Maybe a new Oline coach and an OC with some new ideas for blocking in the run game.

3. An OC and QB coach who can install a decent passing game to get guys open with double crossing patterns on one side of the ball or from either side. All you need is that receiver to get open for a half second and play the QB who can get them the ball.

4. Some new novel ways to get some better passing protection,

It doesnt all have to hinge on entirely new and more skilled and athletic players next year. Get Bostick and Wetjen on the field, work SethA and KalebB with the Juggs throwing machine until they never drop a pass again, etc etc

I thought Howard had committed somewhere already?
So much for Day's comments about not going to the portal for QB.
Howard is similar to McCourt imo.
Not the kind of mobile QB they usually feature.

That's a tall order to get to the 70th best offense.

What they have right now is above average TE group and average RB group.

What they need:

1. A healthy, mobile qb who can complete at least 60% of his throws and scare the opposing D with potential for a downfield throw. Far from certain they're going to get that.

2. A MAJOR offensive line upgrade. Most of the time having players come back is a good thing, You'd expect they'd be better with another year behind them. I'm not convinced that's the case with this group.

3. A WR group that is a threat at multiple levels in the passing game. Right now, they're not a threat at any level.

4. Sets, plays, schemes and a gameplan that the opposing D hasn't already figured out before they've hit the field.

I'm hopeful with the new OC that they can break into the top 100. Getting to 70 seems very unlikely.

Reactions: shudaddy

Probably true but we shouldn't really expect that anyway under the most stylistically conservative coach in the country.

Still waiting on potential Michigan transfers to arrive, but Kaekert brought up an interesting point for the spring, OSU with 2, 5* QBs will most likely have one of those guys exit, it will be interesting to see where one of them ends up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT