ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Have you been impressed by Fran's past Portal transfers? Other than Uthoff, a Cedar Rapids kid that got mad at Bo Ryan and returned home, I can only recall Bakari...and it became obvious after he played why he had been available.

I hope we don't have any donations to the Portal.

If Nunge and JO were fine with it, then Fran could look to Portal, but he hasn't shown himself to be much of a salesman on his program to Portal prospects in the past.

Iowa has enough returning talent to be competitive in B1G. Maybe .500 Ball. Fran was a genius to bring in the two Murray boys. Oregon kind of showed, you don't really need that many B1Gs.

That was before Garza, though. I wonder if other bigs will look at Iowa differently than they used to after Garza's success at Iowa and how much credit he's given to Fran.

I agree with you on not necessarily needing more bigs. I'd say perimeter defense, scoring, and perimeter shooting is needed more. Yeah, Iowa might suffer some in the B10 without a traditional big getting 30 minutes a game, but we've seen how badly the B10 played in the tourney with all their traditional big men. I'll take .500 in conference with a team built to go deep in the tourney rather than try what's not been working for Iowa and the rest of the B10.

I agree with those who think Fran should take a serious look at possible transfers at the 5. I also would prefer a grad transfer, but if good enough, I would welcome a 5 with more eligibility. I am comfortable with Nunge getting most of the minutes at 5, but Big O isn't close to ready and I don't have a way to know if he ever will be. I like video of the kid coming in 2022, but we need help next year.

I am more optimistic about next year than most on this thread, but that becomes much less positive if Nunge, CJ, and Connor aren't healthy. If those guys are healthy and Weesy is back, I think the Hawks are in the top 3 or 4. I am not sure who is leaving early at other schools. I assume Ayo and Kofi leave at Illannoy; Wagner and Livers at UM; not sure about Liddell at OSU; damn near everyone for the Goofers; Wisky loses most of the team. Purdon't should be really good, especially if Williams returns.

Reactions: perryhawk
To me, just being competitive is a losing mentality. The goal should always be win conference titles and play for national championships. Is it going to happen every year, no, but that's what the goal should be. .500 is average at best. Do you want average or do you want to strive for excellence?
That's you. Coaches don't come to Iowa for championships, they come for 7 year contracts after modest success. If you think Barta cares about championships you're just kidding yourself. Still a solid athletic dept but if conference championships are what you're looking for just pick another team

I was actually impressed with what little we saw of Josh O this year. I thought he ran the court pretty well. I guess the questions is how many times can he do that. But a year and a half to get into shape, given Iowa's resources, should be enough to get him to the point he can offer backup minutes for Nunge.

That's you. Coaches don't come to Iowa for championships, they come for 7 year contracts after modest success. If you think Barta cares about championships you're just kidding yourself. Still a solid athletic dept but if conference championships are what you're looking for just pick another team
If you think a coach's goal at any school, let alone Iowa, is not trying to win championships every year, I am not sure you understand a coach's mindset. Every coach at every level, believes they can win with who they have.

Last edited:
Are you just referring to bball championships, because we are winning championships in wrestling, gymnastics and track and field? Modest success isn't what happened this year either, disappointing end, but that was a really good season. Last year was a really good season.

Reactions: perryhawk
Would love to get a guy with the skills of Wahab. Unless there's some behind the scenes connection Iowa would seem to be an unlikely landing spot.

All good! And you?....Are you still in the 407?....I am now in the great white north in MSP...
Yep, still in the 407. So you left OH? And I gotta believe your youngsters are in college by now? My stepdaughter is getting married in September, but true to hyer superior upbringing, is doing it on a Friday!

If, and I think it is a big if, how soon would any of the guys on the team people think would transfer, put their name in the portal?

I agree with those who think Fran should take a serious look at possible transfers at the 5. I also would prefer a grad transfer, but if good enough, I would welcome a 5 with more eligibility. I am comfortable with Nunge getting most of the minutes at 5, but Big O isn't close to ready and I don't have a way to know if he ever will be. I like video of the kid coming in 2022, but we need help next year.

I am more optimistic about next year than most on this thread, but that becomes much less positive if Nunge, CJ, and Connor aren't healthy. If those guys are healthy and Weesy is back, I think the Hawks are in the top 3 or 4. I am not sure who is leaving early at other schools. I assume Ayo and Kofi leave at Illannoy; Wagner and Livers at UM; not sure about Liddell at OSU; damn near everyone for the Goofers; Wisky loses most of the team. Purdon't should be really good, especially if Williams returns.
Probably better than 50/50 that Kofi returns. He’s a bit like Garza at that age where he doesn’t fit well in today’s NBA game. He will definitely put his name in but if it doesn’t appear that he will be a first rounder, he could be back.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Probably better than 50/50 that Kofi returns. He’s a bit like Garza at that age where he doesn’t fit well in today’s NBA game. He will definitely put his name in but if it doesn’t appear that he will be a first rounder, he could be back.
Don’t worry, we have Josh O to guard him if he does come back! :p

He should go. He’s ready and I’m guessing some team will see a future Shaq like player in Kofi.

How about Liam Robbins, who played for the gophs last season?

giphy.gif

I’d love for Robbins to come back home. Playing ball 45 minutes from his parents and hometown.

Last edited:
If you think a coach's goal at any school, let alone Iowa, is not trying to win championships every year, I am not sure you understand a coach's mindset. Every coach at every level, believes they can win with who they have.

True, championships bring contract bonuses and popularity and job stability or new job opportunities.

Due to positive self bias, some coaches are able to look back at their past body of work and overestimate the impressiveness of a career of being 0.500 in conference, never getting to sweet 16 , never getting past the quarterfinals in conference tournament. So perhaps those type coaches are not going to go out and make any necessary changes to actually be competitive for higher goals? That said, a lot of fans are quite happy with 0.500 conference ball, so party on for those fans..

As for Iowa, it is easy to see we are going to be better next year after losing our two top scorers. That assumes two of our top Assist to TO guys return because Assists drives scoring. .. A sweet 16 Bid is around the corner if only the refs, Big10 style of play, ncaa seeding will be in Iowa's favor for a change.

I still am waiting for the shoe to drop on an out-transfer and less interested in Portal recruits or even spring JC recruits because Fran has a history of doing nothing this time of year . If Banking a schollie is a an off season thing, then Fran is all over that move.

Fran uses the transfer portal begrudgingly so I am guessing you won't see much movement from Iowa.

I was surprised by his absence from a list of possible draftees from a list posted in another thread. I thought we were being told that the NBA GMs' were drooling over his abilities.
In all fairness, I think they would be. You cannot teach his physical aspects and he is just getting better every year.

I would have guessed he would be a lottery pick
He can't shoot and he can't pass the ball. In the NBA, he won't be able to bully his way to the basket any way near how he does in college. I'm guessing you could count the number of shots he made outside of the lane on two hands - maybe one! But then again, I only watched a handful of Illinois games this year.

Kofi can't shoot outside of 10 ft, but he is a monster near the basket. He actually runs very well, and seems like a good kid. I would be surprised if he isn't drafted, but I might not be until the second round.

Reactions: 24 so far and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT