ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

In many mock drafts he is not even included in the 2nd round.
Kofi improved his free throw percentage and that's about it. The NBA will take a flyer on him because he's such an imposing physical specimen, but he has much to learn about the game. Time will tell if he has a long and prosperous career in the NBA.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ExcE79MXMAQCzn2

Reactions: Ronman
Per CR Gazette, UNI's Noah Carter has entered the transfer portal.

Started 14 games, averaged 12 ppg & 5.7 rpg. Known as a 3 pt shooter coming out of Dubuque Sr HS. He had 9 3's in UNI's opening game against Westetn KY Univ.

Carter has 3 yrs of elgibility.

Interested?

Reactions: Moral
I only saw Tanner Groves play one game, but based on that game, he would be a perfect one-year addition to the team. He does it all on the offensive end. He didn't seem like a great defender, but he knows how to get position and rebound. He also seemed like a great sport. After the game, he went out of his way to congratulate his opponents. Sure hope Fran gives him a call.

Missing Micah Potter from Wisconsin...
Potter is not in the transfer portal. I would be very surprised if he wanted to continue playing college basketball elsewhere instead of taking a stab at playing overseas

I am very surprised by the Reuvers news though. He was a completely different player from last year to day one this year. Thought for sure he was just going to move on. Maybe he feels he needs a change of scenery to re-establish himself before trying a professional career?

Id take Tanner Groves, and his little brother too. They were impressive in that tourney game. And they would be hawk fan favorites

Looking at just the Big Ten transfer list, you could put a pretty darn good team together just off of that list

Reactions: 24 so far
Harrar rom PSU and Aaryn Rai from Dartmouth
If you think a coach's goal at any school, let alone Iowa, is not trying to win championships every year, I am not sure you understand a coach's mindset. Every coach at every level, believes they can win with who they have.
Sorry. Just not true. I have a friend who coaches at a school in Illinois and he has flat out told me depending on the year that his tem will be lucky to win two or three games. Other years he has been much more optimistic.
You bought the Hollywood version of basketball. Coaches are realistic if they want to keep their jobs. Not going to tell the A.D. they are going to win the championship and then get fired because they won 3 game.

What they tell thr kids may be different because their job is to motivate and get them to perform at their highest ability.

Id take Tanner Groves, and his little brother too. They were impressive in that tourney game. And they would be hawk fan favorites

Looking at just the Big Ten transfer list, you could put a pretty darn good team together just off of that list

Tanner Groves, very good skill set. He will likely have more prominent suitors than Iowa. But would be a great fit at Iowa. Could step in and play immediately.

Per CR Gazette, UNI's Noah Carter has entered the transfer portal.

Started 14 games, averaged 12 ppg & 5.7 rpg. Known as a 3 pt shooter coming out of Dubuque Sr HS. He had 9 3's in UNI's opening game against Westetn KY Univ.

Carter has 3 yrs of elgibility.

Interested?
That’s too bad, I thought he was a nice fit at that level of competition. Not really Power 5 athlete in my opinion.

It appears MSU just got a guard named Walker from Northeastern averaged 18.8 points per game.

Last edited:
Sorry. Just not true. I have a friend who coaches at a school in Illinois and he has flat out told me depending on the year that his tem will be lucky to win two or three games. Other years he has been much more optimistic.
You bought the Hollywood version of basketball. Coaches are realistic if they want to keep their jobs. Not going to tell the A.D. they are going to win the championship and then get fired because they won 3 game.

What they tell thr kids may be different because their job is to motivate and get them to perform at their highest ability.
Actually, I haven't bought the Hollywood version. I coached basketball for over 20 years at all levels. I got out because I wanted more time with my family and the business is very sleezy. Just this past week, a new coach was hired at a new school and was going to hire an assistant from another team to get a player. Once the player said he would not leave, the coach took the offer off the table.

If there are seasons where your friend is only going to win 2 or 3 games, he will not be around long unless he is at high school. High school you don't get to recruit your players, unless it's a private school, you have to go with what you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
It would be interesting to see who in the transfer portal was recruited by Iowa in HS. There has to be a few out there.

Fran will pickup some. I'd like a big and an outside threat. We need it.

None of the young guys are great outside shots. We need another deep threat.

Although Nunge should have a full recovery, it is still a question mark. And Josh is a question mark as well. Can he slim down? We'll see.

Oh no Fran is too proud to resort to the portal. He would rather his guys get their doors blown off by teams like Oregon than add some talent to make the team more competitive. If and this is a big "if" he went to the portal it would be for a Bakari Evelyn type guy who would be depth only not someone who would actually add value.

Here are a few interesting names I came across.

Jaylen Butz from Depaul is 6'9 / 205 and pretty athletic
Jamal Mashburn Jr. / slashing guard & good shooter who came on for MN
Faats Russell / like the name and his game
Teddy Allen --dude is a tumbleweed for sure but can flat out score
Al Durham--he can defend
You mention Fran is too proud to go to the transfer portal. Then mention a player Fran picked up in the transfer portal...?

Actually, I haven't bought the Hollywood version. I coached basketball for over 20 years at all levels. I got out because I wanted more time with my family and the business is very sleezy. Just this past week, a new coach was hired at a new school and was going to hire an assistant from another team to get a player. Once the player said he would not leave, the coach took the offer off the table.

If there are seasons where your friend is only going to win 2 or 3 games, he will not be around long unless he is at high school. High school you don't get to recruit your players, unless it's a private school, you have to go with what you have.

“High school you don't get to recruit your players, unless it's a private school, you have to go with what you have.”

Not really close to reality in Iowa HS. The recruiting is pretty active in all schools.

Reactions: hawktech
I still do not understand all the Joe W talk of going pro. I searched 5 NBA mock draft sites, not one mentioned Joe...? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Joe needs to learn to finish at the rim. He improved a lot this year. But has a long way to go to be in the NBA. IMHO

He won’t be driving in the NBA, he’ll shoot almost nothing but 3’s.

He can't shoot and he can't pass the ball. In the NBA, he won't be able to bully his way to the basket any way near how he does in college. I'm guessing you could count the number of shots he made outside of the lane on two hands - maybe one! But then again, I only watched a handful of Illinois games this year.
That doesn't really matter, there's plenty of bigs who can't do that in the league.

Kofi’s weakness is the same as Lukas, he can't defend away from the hoop.

Most nba teams play 4 out with a screener, Kofi is plenty capable of playing that role on offense he just can't defend it on defense.

Still, I expect he would be drafted this year but maybe not first round.

The Groves Brothers would be fun. I just do not see a fit on our roster unless someone significant (Connor, and or CJ) move on to another school or sport.

The Groves Brothers would be fun. I just do not see a fit on our roster unless someone significant (Connor, and or CJ) move on to another school or sport.
If Wieskamp leaves Iowa has 3 to give.

You absolutely take them no questions asked.

If Joe doesn't leave you still absolutely take them. Fran has his sons scholarships to use if needed.

I doubt they have interest in Iowa though.

Last edited:
If Iowa loses no contributing players to the portal(no, Ash jacking threes in garbage time is not contributing) it would be surprising given the movement we're seeing.

If Wieskamp leaves Iowa has 3 to give.

You absolutely take them no questions asked.

If Joe doesn't leave you still absolutely take them. Fran has his sons scholarships to use if needed.

I doubt they have interest in Iowa though.
I doubt it too. But it would be huge to have some experience next year, I just think we have to much depth. Teams like ISU, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska. Just to name a few, will be a more attractive option. Illinois too if Ayo and Kofi go pro. Iowa has not had anyone leave like those other schools have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT