ADVERTISEMENT

Triple Double

Double doubles should be a target every game:
The bigs with points and rebounds
the guards with points and assists

But doing a Caitlin triple is really special and you could see the smile on Paytons face when he got it.
Great job Payton and great milestone Patrick.

Hard to believe with some of the great players in Iowa history that it has never happened before.

Well it's pretty rare for a player other than a point guard to have 10 assists or for a point guard to have 10 rebounds so I'm not sure why it's surprising. Acie Earl had 9 steals in a game and probably 10 blocks at least once, but he also shared a lot of boards with Chris Street so getting 10 wasn't easy. Pierre Pierce and Jeff Horner are really the only two that might've had a chance but even then 10 rebounds was going to be tough with Brunner on the team.

CC22 has 5 this season, Sandfort just got the first ever for the men. Now I am wondering this; In Men's D1 ball, this season, how many triple doubles have been achieved? Surely one of you brainiac's can find that out for us.

Andre Woodridge would have been my guess
Another guy that wasn't going to come close to 10 rebounds, especially with Settles and Bowen on the team. He wasn't even a guarantee to score double figures his first two years with Kingsbury and Millard also around. His senior year might've had a chance, but still Rucker, Koch, and Bowen were grabbing all the boards. He was a turnover machine at times, but even then ten is a lot and Dr. Tom probably benches him if it's that bad.

Maybe Roy Marble would have had the type of game that could get a triple double. Not a lot of Hawks I can think of that had all three phases to their game. Even for sandfort it is a bit of a fluke for him to get 10 assists. His points and rebounding are pretty good normally.
Chris Street and Keegan both had the type of games if they would have played full careers.

Tyler Smith too.

Maybe Roy Marble would have had the type of game that could get a triple double. Not a lot of Hawks I can think of that had all three phases to their game. Even for sandfort it is a bit of a fluke for him to get 10 assists. His points and rebounding are pretty good normally.
Andre Woolridge

Another guy that wasn't going to come close to 10 rebounds, especially with Settles and Bowen on the team. He wasn't even a guarantee to score double figures his first two years with Kingsbury and Millard also around. His senior year might've had a chance, but still Rucker, Koch, and Bowen were grabbing all the boards. He was a turnover machine at times, but even then ten is a lot and Dr. Tom probably benches him if it's that bad.
Congratulations, gotta be the most negative Andre Woolridge take ever. That dude was a stud. Period.

Honestly recent (except Woolridge) guys that I thought would have a chance at triple doubles based on a lot of things (not necessarily best players):
1. Matt Gatens
2. Roy Devyn Marble
3. Andre Woolridge
4. Tony Perkins
5. Mike Gesell
6. Joe W
7. Keegan Murray
I feel like it’d be unrealistic to expect guys like Garza, White, Cook to have double digit assists.

Congratulations, gotta be the most negative Andre Woolridge take ever. That dude was a stud. Period.

Umm, thanks I guess. Andre averaged 2.8 boards a game, he wasn't going to get a triple double. That's literally what the topic is about. Garza was national player of the year, clearly didn't suck, but wasn't going to get close to one either. Has nothing to do with how good either one was.

seems odd that this is the first for Iowa.
After 30 seconds of research I found
UNC has 2.
Duke 4.
The ACC has 32.
Indiana 3
UCLA 4
UK 3

About that qualifier. Assists, blocked shots and steals didn’t become official statistics until the 1970s, 1973 for assists, 1977 for blocks and steals

• Wow
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
humble kid.

full text of the tweet:

Payton Sandfort (26 pts, 10 rebs, 10 asts) on recording the first MBB triple-double in Iowa program history:

“It's crazy no other Hawk has done it. Well, I mean I see Caitlin (Clark) do it every day. So that takes some of the legitimacy from it. (laughs) ... But I’m pretty proud. To be from this state, it’s a pretty special thing to be the first one.”

I don't remember him having difficulty scoring or being a turnover machine. He was a great player is what I remember.

Never said he had difficulty scoring, but we were a balanced scoring team his soph and junior years, he averaged 14 and 13 points those year which means he didn't always score ten and sometimes he'd score 18-20. Kingsbury was a bit of a shot hog in '95 and led the team in scoring with Settles second, and Millard came out of virtually nowhere to be a 14 ppg guy in '96 second to Settles, and Kingsbury getting benched but still averaging 11 ppg behind Andre for fourth. And he averaged 3.2 turnovers per game, which means sometimes he turned it over 6 times and sometime he didn't turn it over at all. You don't remember him getting called for at least one carry every game back when they actually still called that? He also threw a ton of long court bounce passes that were hit or miss depending on who was running the floor. That's also how he averaged 6 assists per game since most of his half court assists were off the fake 3 alley oop they'd run once or twice a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT