ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreek Hill: Watch this video and things will go smoother next time.

Jesus Christ. They had his drivers license. They knew who he was. He was 1 minute away from the facility. He wasn't going to pull out a gun and shoot them. WTF.
...and they weren't going to shoot him, but that's what he's out there implying. Cop could probably be reprimanded for not being more patient. But this isn't some "George Floyd II" that it seems some are trying to turn it into. Much closer to Rashee Rice.

Again, had he listened and not rolled up the window, nothing would have happened. Brought it on himself. Cops deal with punks all day. Don’t listen, it’s kissing the pavement time. Cops did nothing wrong,

The cops were 100% in the wrong. Sure, Hill was an ass and didn’t need to be, but the cops were wrong.

They crossed several lines, shouting out many orders they didn’t have the authority to command.
These are the type that give cops bad names.

Again, had he listened and not rolled up the window, nothing would have happened. Brought it on himself. Cops deal with punks all day. Don’t listen, it’s kissing the pavement time. Cops did nothing wrong,
What law did Hill break by rolling up his window? I see clips of people - generally white people - who are FAR bigger assholes to cops, but know their rights, and the cops don't pull them out of the car. I literally just saw one last week where the guy wouldn't roll his window down because "You are making me feel unsafe. Get your supervisor." Almost always the officer stops pushing the issue because the driver knows his or her rights. This cop totally escalated the situation.

Don’t teach anymore, and I wouldn’t have laid a hand on a kid who was simply not following directions.

Agree to disagree here I guess. Hill was being a dick and started the thing. Cops seemed like they then escalated the situation out of proportion to Hills dickishness.
I moved a kindergartener today who was being an ass to his teacher. Very defiant. Refusing all of her directions. He needed to be in line so I put him in line.

2 hours later the principal had him. We are 2 weeks into the school year and the kid already has a half dozen major referrals. Unreal.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I moved a kindergartener today who was being an ass to his teacher. Very defiant. Refusing all of her directions. He needed to be in line so I put him in line.

2 hours later the principal had him. We are 2 weeks into the school year and the kid already has a half dozen major referrals. Unreal.
I admire anyone who has taught at the elementary level for a long period of. Just getting 25+ munchkins all pointed in the same direction for 5 minutes at the same time is a Herculean task at times. To say nothing of actually teaching.

Single biggest reason I went into secondary ed while I was in the field was I was scared to death of getting in trouble for totally innocent contact from kids. I subbed a couple of times at an elementary school and probably half a dozen times I got unprompted hugs kids who liked me. Cute moments, but scared the crap out of me professionally.

They had a DL, do you know for sure it was his?
Wait, so now when the police acknowledged they pulled Tyreek Hill over due to speeding and reckless driving, we actually still think there’s a chance that Tyreek tried to pass fake ID so that the cops wouldn’t know who he really is? It’s his car, his plate, his license. It was also so visibly his car that teammates pulled over to see what was going on.

Wait, so now when the police acknowledged they pulled Tyreek Hill over due to speeding and reckless driving, we actually still think there’s a chance that Tyreek tried to pass fake ID so that the cops wouldn’t know who he really is? It’s his car, his plate, his license. It was also so visibly his car that teammates pulled over to see what was going on.
Wad asking the suspect known or unknown to roll down his window reasonable or unreasonable?

At least one will. Not sure about the others. There should be a database of bad cops. He can move and get a job immediately. One of the reasons why this shit continues.
Cop knows the city has to pay the lawsuits for his bs. Make cops carry and pay liability insurance premiums themselves and they'll start to cool the f down when dealing with the public.

Wad asking the suspect known or unknown to roll down his window reasonable or unreasonable?
It’s reasonable and Hill was being a dick about it…but in the end, the officer got what he needed to issue the tickets. I’m still not seeing the need to get him out of the car.

As someone (maybe you) said, this isn’t some “George Floyd” situation, but it’s just not great police work. It’s not a “fire everyone” catastrophe, but it’s far from a “hey, let’s all review the fine work these officers did so we can all emulate” situation.

I admire anyone who has taught at the elementary level for a long period of. Just getting 25+ munchkins all pointed in the same direction for 5 minutes at the same time is a Herculean task at times. To say nothing of actually teaching.

Single biggest reason I went into secondary ed while I was in the field was I was scared to death of getting in trouble for totally innocent contact from kids. I subbed a couple of times at an elementary school and probably half a dozen times I got unprompted hugs kids who liked me. Cute moments, but scared the crap out of me professionally.
I got a report from my DIL that my grandson who's a 1st grader was sitting in class last week as the teacher presented a math concept that she said would, "probably be very hard for them to understand", to which the grandson replied, "maybe it is for your brain". :oops: 😆

It’s reasonable and Hill was being a dick about it…but in the end, the officer got what he needed to issue the tickets. I’m still not seeing the need to get him out of the car.

As someone (maybe you) said, this isn’t some “George Floyd” situation, but it’s just not great police work. It’s not a “fire everyone” catastrophe, but it’s far from a “hey, let’s all review the fine work these officers did so we can all emulate” situation.
It's probably not making the academy training videos for how to handle a traffic stop or deescalate a situation.

It was completely unavoidable though. As a father I have experienced this type of immature behavior often. As I said in an earlier post this reminds me so much of asking my child nicely 3-4-5 times to do something within reason or necessity by time 6, I'm no longer asking, I'm demanding and escalating. Then my kid turns around and says "why are you yelling at me?!" Ignoring the fact that I calmly asked 5 times to bring me your homework.

I got a report from my DIL that my grandson who's a 1st grader was sitting in class last week as the teacher presented a math concept that she said would, "probably be very hard for them to understand", to which the grandson replied, "maybe it is for your brain". :oops: 😆
Depending on the age of the grandson, that might just fall into the “bleep kids say” and not really be something intended to be snarky or disrespectful.

I coach a kid now in 14U baseball who has always been a challenge, but one thing he’s never learned is a filter between brain and mouth that is tied to understanding of interpersonal relationships. There will be a baseball play where a teammate throws to the wrong base or makes a baserunning error or swings at a terrible pitch and he’ll go up to the kid and ask why. His lack of understanding relationships leaves a tone of “WHY DID YOU DO THAT YOU IDIOT” where he’s actually really asking because he genuinely can’t understand why the guy would have done that and he wants to know what he’s missing. The misunderstandings I’ve seen this kid have without intent have been WILD. He is working on it, but man, it’s a process.

Depending on the age of the grandson, that might just fall into the “bleep kids say” and not really be something intended to be snarky or disrespectful.

I coach a kid now in 14U baseball who has always been a challenge, but one thing he’s never learned is a filter between brain and mouth that is tied to understanding of interpersonal relationships. There will be a baseball play where a teammate throws to the wrong base or makes a baserunning error or swings at a terrible pitch and he’ll go up to the kid and ask why. His lack of understanding relationships leaves a tone of “WHY DID YOU DO THAT YOU IDIOT” where he’s actually really asking because he genuinely can’t understand why the guy would have done that and he wants to know what he’s missing. The misunderstandings I’ve seen this kid have without intent have been WILD. He is working on it, but man, it’s a process.
I believe that. My grandson can be quite the card at times but I've never heard him say anything hurtful to others, at least not with intent. He's hard to predict, some days he loves being the center of attention, the next minute he wants to fade into the background. The good thing about that interaction is the teacher laughed out loud and wrote a note home to his parents because she loves his personality and wit.

Watching the full video, here is my play-by-play.
Tyreek is pulled over for speeding
Cop knocks on his window.
Tyreek yells at cop multiple times for knocking on window.
Cop turns to run Id as Tyreek rolls up window.
Cop knocks 5 times to roll window down again.
Tyreek rolls down window 1 inch.
Cop tells him to get out of car 4 times.
After brief pause, cop says he’s had enough on opens car door.
Cops pull Tyreek from car and cuff him on the ground.

Is there anything factually I missed?
Before having 7 catches and 130 yards plus another 26 yards rushing yells at cops several times that he just had surgery on his knee. :cool:

Another case of non compliance by a motorist followed by over aggression by cops. I'll take why do humans suck, for 200, Alex.

In a perfect world the lead cop is written up for not keeping a cooler head and the PD says as much, Hill apologizes for not cooperating with law enforcement and driving recklessly, everyone shakes hands and acts like an adult. They do a public service announcement about making communities safer together along with the NFL. Tyreek's brand would soar.

It's nice to dream.

It's probably not making the academy training videos for how to handle a traffic stop or deescalate a situation.

It was completely unavoidable though. As a father I have experienced this type of immature behavior often. As I said in an earlier post this reminds me so much of asking my child nicely 3-4-5 times to do something within reason or necessity by time 6, I'm no longer asking, I'm demanding and escalating. Then my kid turns around and says "why are you yelling at me?!" Ignoring the fact that I calmly asked 5 times to bring me your homework.
Of course, I’d pointed to Hill’s initial escalation at every point. Your first sentence is the point I’m trying to get across from the police side. It wasn’t criminal or catastrophic, but this could have ended differently with different behavior by Hill and/or the police.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
In a perfect world the lead cop is written up for not keeping a cooler head and the PD says as much, Hill apologizes for not cooperating with law enforcement and driving recklessly, everyone shakes hands and acts like an adult. They do a public service announcement about making communities safer together along with the NFL. Tyreek's brand would soar.

It's nice to dream.
This would be an excellent end for this misadventure.

It's disappointing how many binary thinkers we have on this board - and presumably represented to some degree in the general population - I can't help but wonder if it's related to our hyper divided tribal politics? Or have people always been prone to this sort of fallacy in thinking?

You don't have to be for Hill or think he's a model citizen if you think that the police performed well below what should be somewhat high expectations. You don't have to think the police were in top shape just because you think Hill is a POS who wasn't 100% compliant. You don't have to choose one or the other.

You can think Hill is a POS who could have prevented all of this by not speeding and by quickly complying with every direction; AND at the same time you can have modest expectations for law enforcement officer performance and realize that this sort of conduct does not meet it.

It's okay to realize this wasn't model policing, it didn't need to happen like that, and also realize nothing would have happened if Hill had better conduct himself.

I feel like this sort of concept is taught to children, yet when even a tangentially political topic rises, it goes out the window.

Some idiot brought up Israel - Hamas. Great example. You can be critical of Israel, and think that Hamas is a terrorist organization that has harmed the people that they are supposed to govern. It's not either or.

It's disappointing how many binary thinkers we have on this board - and presumably represented to some degree in the general population - I can't help but wonder if it's related to our hyper divided tribal politics? Or have people always been prone to this sort of fallacy in thinking?

You don't have to be for Hill or think he's a model citizen if you think that the police performed well below what should be somewhat high expectations. You don't have to think the police were in top shape just because you think Hill is a POS who wasn't 100% compliant. You don't have to choose one or the other.

You can think Hill is a POS who could have prevented all of this by not speeding and by quickly complying with every direction; AND at the same time you can have modest expectations for law enforcement officer performance and realize that this sort of conduct does not meet it.

It's okay to realize this wasn't model policing, it didn't need to happen like that, and also realize nothing would have happened if Hill had better conduct himself.

I feel like this sort of concept is taught to children, yet when even a tangentially political topic rises, it goes out the window.

Some idiot brought up Israel - Hamas. Great example. You can be critical of Israel, and think that Hamas is a terrorist organization that has harmed the people that they are supposed to govern. It's not either or.
Amen, brother.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
...and they weren't going to shoot him, but that's what he's out there implying. Cop could probably be reprimanded for not being more patient. But this isn't some "George Floyd II" that it seems some are trying to turn it into. Much closer to Rashee Rice.
There was absolutely zero reason to grab him from the car and throw him to the ground and handcuff him. The cops escalated the situation. Look, we know Tyreek is a dumb ass but they way way overreacted.

There was absolutely zero reason to grab him from the car and throw him to the ground and handcuff him. The cops escalated the situation. Look, we know Tyreek is a dumb ass but they way way overreacted.
I disgree that there was zero reason. It might have been a very low number, it was probably more use of force than the situation demanded, but If Hill had cooperated and followed the law and cooperated fully, there's a .01% chance he winds up face down on the street.

Watch the video again.

Cop gives instructions and says, "Keep your window down or I'm going to get you out of the car." No response is given and guy immediately says, "As a matter of fact, get out of the car." This is a sign the cop is frustrated and clearly taking out his anger on Hill's non-compliance.

Hill doesn't comply so officers instruct him several times again. Then they open his door. As they open his door, Hill is actually exiting the car. For the first time he seems compliant. Then 2nd cop grabs him and starts to pull him out. The 2nd cop yells, "When we tell you do to something you do it. You're a little effing confused.... Stop crying." That 2nd cop needs to be fired. Both these guys are angry and that's how they're conducting themselves.

Let's change the scenario a bit. Imagine it's Iowa in the middle of January. It's 20 degrees out and there is a light snow. A county sheriff pulls a woman over for speeding 83 in a 70, way too fast for current road conditions. He pulls her over and gets her license and registration. As he walks from the vehicle, she rolls her window up because she's cold. Now she starts to argue she doesn't need to because he's already got her license and registration and it's cold outside. Does this scenario play out the same way?

a94a24b2-7b3f-4f2d-ab3c-2f202254c359_text.gif

Watch the video again.

Cop gives instructions and says, "Keep your window down or I'm going to get you out of the car." No response is given and guy immediately says, "As a matter of fact, get out of the car." This is a sign the cop is frustrated and clearly taking out his anger on Hill's non-compliance.

Hill doesn't comply so officers instruct him several times again. Then they open his door. As they open his door, Hill is actually exiting the car. For the first time he seems compliant. Then 2nd cop grabs him and starts to pull him out. The 2nd cop yells, "When we tell you do to something you do it. You're a little effing confused.... Stop crying." That 2nd cop needs to be fired. Both these guys are angry and that's how they're conducting themselves.

Let's change the scenario a bit. Imagine it's Iowa in the middle of January. It's 20 degrees out and there is a light snow. A county sheriff pulls a woman over for speeding 83 in a 70, way too fast for current road conditions. He pulls her over and gets her license and registration. As he walks from the vehicle, she rolls her window up because she's cold. Now she starts to argue she doesn't need to because he's already got her license and registration and it's cold outside. Does this scenario play out the same way?

a94a24b2-7b3f-4f2d-ab3c-2f202254c359_text.gif
Let's imagine we're on the moon... There's no reason to imagine it's a different scenario. It was a Sunday morning in Miami, FL. No matter why he rolled the window up, he had plenty of opportunity to roll it down when he was asked repeatedly to do so. Then he decided to be a smart ass and crack it open.

Hill showed his true colors… arrogant, sense of entitlement, disrespectful, above the law, spoiled brat. But as usual, some people want to blame law enforcement instead of Hill and his non-compliant behavior. Had he just done as he was asked, cops would’ve issued him a ticket (or maybe just a warning), asked him to slow down and keep the roads safe, wished him luck in the game, and sent him on his way.

• Love
Also, if you get pulled over and have tinted windows, NEVER think it’s ok NOT to roll your window down and keep it down when an officer asks you to. Simple as that. Police are trained to assume you are hiding something if you do that and you continue to not comply, and their mood and attitude goes from ‘routine traffic stop’ to ‘you’re fvcking around and about to find out’ in about .5 seconds.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT