ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Desanto?

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
Since the other thread is just a group chat with nothing to do with Desanto, I figured we could get back on track with what has taken place.

Two weeks ago Desanto wrestled on Friday but not Saturday. During the interview Brands said it was Desantos decision not to wrestle that day.

A week later Schriever pulls his redshirt and the message boards freak out. Brands says to ignore the message boards.

Now Desanto was in shorts and a t-shirt this weekend while watching on. Also if he was out for the year, Brands would let people know just as was done with Spencer.

Could he be in trouble? The fact that Brands said it was Desanto's decision makes me doubt that.

Is it a temporary injury? Very possible, as he didn't seem to have a good grip his last time on the mat.

Now the big thing is why was Schrievers redshirt pulled? Schriever said he wanted to wrestle. With the light weights we have coming and already here, Schriever may not make the lineup in the future. Schriever has already been here a year and may not want to stay in school forever.

What other things have you noticed? It is obviously a secret. Tom doesn't want us to freak out. My guess is they are monitoring a injury and they want Schriever ready to go just in case Desanto doesn't heal quick enough.

Last edited:
I re-played the Illinois meet, put in on super slow motion and zoomed in on DeSanto's eyes. By my surprise, DeSanto sent a message in morse code by alternating long and short blinks. The message was "I'll be back soon. Worry not. Expect big points at Nationals."
Well, that’s not much to go on but it’s the most concrete info we have so far.

If his injury was that serious, I can’t imagine he’d travel with the team to Illinois. Also, nothing was wrapped from what I saw of him on the bench. He didn’t look great in his previous couple matches, not the typical animalistic pace we have become accustomed too. My thought when I saw him vs Minn and Purdue was that it appeared he was possibly fighting an illness.

If his injury was that serious, I can’t imagine he’d travel with the team to Illinois. Also, nothing was wrapped from what I saw of him on the bench. He didn’t look great in his previous couple matches, not the typical animalistic pace we have become accustomed too. My thought when I saw him vs Minn and Purdue was that it appeared he was possibly fighting an illness.
That's my guess too. The same illness that's affecting every sports team everywhere.

I can say this for certain. When the public knows something new about DeSanto a fresh thread will be started here shortly thereafter. Until then it's all just hearsay and speculation repeated over and over.

Yeah, the reason that the other thread turned in to what it has is because there is no news about ADS to speak of. Can't force this stuff.

Last year Desanto had problems mentally with injuries. Remember his match with RBY when he forfeited? Also at Nationals he was having issues with his hand and he kept shaking it and freaking out. It seems to me as if Desanto struggles with pain. Tom asked Desanto what he wanted to do a couple weeks ago and it was Desantos decision to sit out. Seems like a small injury with mental precautions.

Last year Desanto had problems mentally with injuries. Remember his match with RBY when he forfeited? Also at Nationals he was having issues with his hand and he kept shaking it and freaking out. It seems to me as if Desanto struggles with pain. Tom asked Desanto what he wanted to do a couple weeks ago and it was Desantos decision to sit out. Seems like a small injury with mental precautions.
That’s called pain, dum a$$…

In his defense, when he was freaking out and shaking his finger… It was bent 90 degrees backwards at the middle knuckle... multiple times. I would consider that distracting for reasons other than just pain.

Yeah, the reason that the other thread turned in to what it has is because there is no news about ADS to speak of. Can't force this stuff.
Yep. I understand when a casual fan stops over for a quick update and asks about it. However when you are a regular that repeatedly asks for updates, when clearly there are none yet, it's gets old.

I've said it before... but when I was a kid, I would ask my dad where we were going in his truck that day. And every day his response was the same. "You'll find out when we get there kid." He was I right, I always found out where we were going and it hurt me none that I didn't know ahead of time.

Don't expect instant gratification or an explanation. Be patient. Go with the flow. We all will find out soon enough.

All I got was Eierman not training like a champ and DeSanto isn't any of my business (but noted that if it was disciplinary action the University would have already announced it). In other news.. ligament issues in lower half of lineup- off season should clear that up, Bull making the most out of his situation as always, but ditched the brace last year, Kemerer obvious, and see what's wrapped at the upper weights. "That's wrestling."

Reactions: el dub
After Assad got benched, it lit a fire under him. Now Brands is trying the same thing with JE and ADS.

No, I’m not serious.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
I arrived early for Northwestern match, Desanto was sitting in stands with teammates. I am convinced I saw Desanto with a black brace, or a wrap on right hand/wrist. This device may have been a thumb brace, or a splint designed to protect thumb. Most guys drilled or spared with work-out partner (Ayala and Schriever). Desanto did not work-out. Not sure this is significant, or how to interpret.

I arrived early for Northwestern match, Desanto was sitting in stands with teammates. I am convinced I saw Desanto with a black brace, or a wrap on right hand/wrist. This device may have been a thumb brace, or a splint designed to protect thumb. Most guys drilled or spared with work-out partner (Ayala and Schriever). Desanto did not work-out. Not sure this is significant, or how to interpret.

Different than the one he’s worn every match since at least NCAAs last year?

Since the other thread is just a group chat with nothing to do with Desanto, I figured we could get back on track with what has taken place.

Two weeks ago Desanto wrestled on Friday but not Saturday. During the interview Brands said it was Desantos decision not to wrestle that day.

A week later Schriever pulls his redshirt and the message boards freak out. Brands says to ignore the message boards.

Now Desanto was in shorts and a t-shirt this weekend while watching on. Also if he was out for the year, Brands would let people know just as was done with Spencer.

Could he be in trouble? The fact that Brands said it was Desanto's decision makes me doubt that.

Is it a temporary injury? Very possible, as he didn't seem to have a good grip his last time on the mat.

Now the big thing is why was Schrievers redshirt pulled? Schriever said he wanted to wrestle. With the light weights we have coming and already here, Schriever may not make the lineup in the future. Schriever has already been here a year and may not want to stay in school forever.

What other things have you noticed? It is obviously a secret. Tom doesn't want us to freak out. My guess is they are monitoring a injury and they want Schriever ready to go just in case Desanto doesn't heal quick enough.
This is Schrievers second year - he may not want to “redshirt” 2 years given the extra year available. Maybe he wants on the mat now for experience for next year. Some guys get a bachelors in 4 years. Not everyone wants to be on campus 6 years. Just my thoughts on the redshirt pull

Reactions: Samoy and el dub
This is what I am trying to convince myself is going on.

Ayala likes wrestling and plans on bulking up and going 133 next year when Spencer takes 125. Schriever doesn’t see beating Ayala at 133 - or Henson at 141 - and plans on redshirting next year.

In addition, when Jesuroga comes, there will be a logjam at 133 and 141. So even if Ayala redshirts next year and Schriever starts at 133, there are certainly no guarantees he will have a starting spot in the future.

He is taking his guaranteed starts when he can get them even though he knows that DeSanto will likely be back this year.

Last edited:

Ayala likes wrestling and plans on bulking up and going 133 next year when Spencer takes 125. Schriever doesn’t see beating Ayala at 133 - or Henson at 141 - and plans on redshirting next year.

In addition, when Jesuroga comes, there will be a logjam at 133 and 141. So even if Ayala redshirts next year and Schriever starts at 133, there are certainly no guarantees he will have a starting spot in the future.

He is taking his guaranteed starts when he can get them even though he knows that DeSanto will likely be back this year.
You really think Schriever is sitting here thinking "golly gee dang, that Ayala and Henson are real good, I don't stand a chance!"

Dude's a killer, definitely isn't basing his decisions on who he thinks he can't beat out.

But I'd say he also realizes his time in the spotlight is never a guarantee, especially with his past injury problems, and he's looking to get his time in where he can. Particularly since he already technically had his development year last year.

Wasn't wearing any brace/wrap at IL meet, FWIW. Of course, he wasn't wrestling either.

Maybe Desanto and Eierman are struggling with their weight?

I was thinking about this and how good Ayala has been, jesuroga is even higher ranked coming into iowa. If he can live up to that ranking, the 25 and 33 spots look very good.

Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT