ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

Good insight. I mostly agree that race is not the primary factor, but it is a factor…but so much more.

They have in their mind who they want wnba fans to be. They want fans from certain geographies, that look a certain way and have certain beliefs. Most of the CC fans are from flyover country. Not exactly what WNBA brass had dreamed about.

A quandary. They want more viewership, more revenue (I think?) but they need to find a way to do it on their terms. Cannot have some flyover white girl leapfrog all the veterans that “built” this.

But CC is an avalanche. And an organic one. This isn’t the impossible burger being jammed down our throats. This is real buzz. Real excitement. Real interest. They cannot hold it back easily.
This, and like a tsunami that is raining down on their heads. They're showing low emotional IQ, while CC takes the high road every time. She has more polish and poise than 99% of the WNBA. And that's why she makes the big endorsement deals. Well this & her talent....

Angry Television GIF by NETFLIX

no. I can't. Leaving Bird and Magic off the 1980 Olympic Team would be a better example. When the NBA finals were on tape delay.

But David Stern wasn't that dumb. Because he was running a real business.
It's okay. I wasn't expecting you to, nor am I going to attempt to explain it in order to change your mind. You'll just have to take my word for it and be fine with that. :)

This, and like a tsunami that is raining down on their heads. They're showing low emotional IQ, while CC takes the high road every time. She has more polish and poise than 99% of the WNBA. And that's why she makes the big endorsement deals. Well this & her talent....

Angry Television GIF by NETFLIX
That's the biggest thing. They don't seem to understand that when a company hands over a 7 or 8 figure contract, it's not because they are rewarding you for being good at your sport. It's because you can sell their product. If you can't be charismatic and professional, they don't want you representing them. That's the same thing Jordan and Tiger have.

I don't pretend to know what Clark is thinking, but I find it hard to believe that she isn't actually disappointed, that she hasn't felt angry at some of the things that have happened, or felt that certain people needed to be told certain things. However, she's also extremely smart and she's putting that marketing degree to work. She doesn't respond to much immediately. She always waits. Likely to let her emotions calm down so she doesn't say something stupid. I bet she has people to talk to so they can formulate an appropriate response (I'm guessing her family plays a lot of these roles). At any rate, she has a method that works very well and corporate America certainly approves.

I think back to Christian Laettner when he got selected for the '92 Olympic Team.

I can't help but think that at least a part of his lack of success in the NBA can be attributed to his experience with the Dream Team.

I don't in any way, shape, or form see this as a bad thing for Clark.
The guy played in the NBA for 13 years. In his first 6 seasons, he averaged 17 ppg and 8 rebounds. I would hardly call that a lack of success.

I honestly think Taurasi has a lot to do with it. It's ridiculous that this is her 6th Olympic games at age 42. I mentioned this before but I would not be surprised if she tried to play in 2028, too.

No way DT deserves to be on this year's squad. The talking heads keep saying that players like DT have earned their spot because she is a legend with five gold medals, championships, etc, and that CC's time will come. The problem is that the exact same logic will be used in 2028. Every player on the 2024 Olympic squad will have a gold medal (or 6 in DT's case), and CC won't have one. How can CC be added at the expense of a previous gold medalist, right? At the same time, by then CC's scoring records may well have been broken by JuJu Watkins, and you have to know that the establishment will want JuJu on the Olympic team because why wouldn't you want the all time NCAA scoring leader on the Olympic team, right? With the Olympic team selection committee made up of a bunch of gatekeepers of the sport like Dawn Staley, it isn't a given that CC will ever be selected for an Olympic team. Probably she will be, but it is far from a given. She is going to have to turn the Fever into a great team IMO or she'll face the arguments of "what has she accomplished to deserve a spot on the Olympic team when players X, Y and Z have NCAA championships, wnba championships, etc."

Maybe it’s the WNBAs sugar daddy, the NBA, who is sabotaging the women. They don’t want the women to become too popular. I am joking, of course. However, it is amazing how many unforced marketing errors they have made in a short period of time.

Reactions: spiderland
Maybe it’s the WNBAs sugar daddy, the NBA, who is sabotaging the women. They don’t want the women to become too popular. I am joking, of course. However, it is amazing how many unforced marketing errors they have made in a short period of time.
The W’s handling of caitlin reminds of that ESPN commercial of Chris Farley shooting free throws.

Does 42 year old Diana Taurasi really belong on the team?

22-year-old Caitlin Clark's numbers are just as good as hers
Offensive numbers yes -- but defensively Caitlin is a liability and the international game is very physical. Iowa fans would throw a fit if she was selected and then didn't play a whole lot. Caitlin's time will come -- she knows she must get a lot stronger and she will.

Offensive numbers yes -- but defensively Caitlin is a liability and the international game is very physical. Iowa fans would throw a fit if she was selected and then didn't play a whole lot. Caitlin's time will come -- she knows she must get a lot stronger and she will.
That should be USA Basketball's new angle, since the first one fell flat. "We're actually doing this to protect you, Caitlin. It's for your own good. You and your fans will thank us later." It's so crazy, it just might work.

The 5-member women's selection committee:
Olympic-Selection-Committee.jpg

Top left clockwise Delisha Milton Jones (Former U Florida player, current Old Dominion coach),Jennifer Rossitti (Former UConn, current Conn Sun Pres and 2024 USA 3-on-3 Head Coach), Bethany Donaphin (Former Stanford player), Dawn Staley (So Carolina coach), and Seimone Augustus (former LSU player, current LSU ass't coach). Not pictured - Dan Padover, current Atlanta Dream GM and Exec VP for BB Ops, signed Rhyne Howard from Kentucky who is on the 3-on-3 USA team.

12 man Roster:
A Wilson, South Carolina; LV Aces
B Stewart, UConn, NY Liberty
D Taurasi, UConn, Phx
N Collier, UConn, Minn
A Thomas, Maryland, Conn. Sun (whose Pres was on Select committee)
B Greiner, Baylor (Mulkey was coach), Phx
K Copper, Rutgers, Phx
K Plum, Washington, LV Aces
J Young, Notre Dame, LV Aces
C Gray, Duke, LV Aces
J Loyd, Notre dame, Seattle
S Ionescu, Oregon, NY Liberty

3-on-3 Roster:
R Howard, Kentucky, Atl Dream (GM and Exec VP on 12-man committee)
C Brink, Stanford, LA Sparks,
C Burdick, Tenn Vols, UFlorida ass't coach)
HVL, former LSU, (Still in college b/c she wasn't sure she'd be drafted this year @ 5'7"

3-on-3 committee:
Jay Demings, Carolyn Peck (former Purdue coach), Linday Whalen (former Minn Gophers coach)
Head Coach: Rossitti (UConn and Conn. Sun)
Asst Coach: Tammi Reiss (former teammate of Staleys @ UVa and current Hd coach @ U Rhode Island)

Strong political smell involved in this

And so DT who can't guard these younger players just fouls them or throws them to the floor because she can't keep up with them, and you think thats a better outcome? Okay then......

And so DT who can't guard these younger players just fouls them or throws them to the floor because she can't keep up with them, and you think thats a better outcome? Okay then......
That always made me chuckle in some of the pickup games I played in when the older guys would justify their cheap tactics by making excuses such as because they're older and "slower" they needed to do that sh** to have a chance competitively.

Much like with Taurasi, just because you play aggressive and perhaps even dirty and then justify it in your mind and tell other people they're wrong for "having a difference opinion"............doesn't make her or people like that right.

When you get to the point in your life as an athlete where you have to make excuses, rarely if ever is that a good thing.

The reach of Caitlin Clark news and this story still amazes me. They brought this topic up on a morning hits channel in Orlando. Not sports talk radio, two FM morning show hosts. Quantifying this boggles my mind.
With the NBA Finals in progress, this IS the story. By the way, both hosts were shocked she was left off. The noise surrounding this story is deafening.

Have you seen Plum play defense? She is horrible and worse than Caitlin. Nobody mentions that.

I wish the NBA would end the subsidy. The "W" needs to make it on its own or die. This would be the reality check that the league needs.

I can't imagine how the international game is more physical than the WNBA. What, are they throwing right crosses when they set picks?

Also, I take issue with the "defensive liability" claims. It's obviously not the strength of her game but she holds her own out there. The Fever just don't play good team defense so when that happens then nobody plays good defense.

I can't imagine how the international game is more physical than the WNBA. What, are they throwing right crosses when they set picks?

Also, I take issue with the "defensive liability" claims. It's obviously not the strength of her game but she holds her own out there. The Fever just don't play good team defense so when that happens then nobody plays good defense.
Total bull crap. If anything, the Euro official game it tighter than here.

Just last month, Las Vegas Aces star A’ja Wilson said during an interview with The Associated Press that race was a factor in Clark’s stardom.

"I think it’s a huge thing. I think a lot of people may say it’s not about Black and White, but to me, it is," Wilson said. "It really is because you can be top-notch at what you are as a Black woman, but yet maybe that’s something that people don’t want to see."

"They don’t see it as marketable, so it doesn’t matter how hard I work. It doesn’t matter what we all do as Black women, we’re still going to be swept underneath the rug. That’s why it boils my blood when people say it’s not about race, because it is."https://userinterface.us/news/tenne...sley-s-because-of-their-whiteness-356350.html

HEY A'ja - top female athlete earner seem to be black - Coco Gauff ($26 million off the tennis court). Then there's Simone, Serena & Allyson.

Just last month, Las Vegas Aces star A’ja Wilson said during an interview with The Associated Press that race was a factor in Clark’s stardom.

"I think it’s a huge thing. I think a lot of people may say it’s not about Black and White, but to me, it is," Wilson said. "It really is because you can be top-notch at what you are as a Black woman, but yet maybe that’s something that people don’t want to see."

"They don’t see it as marketable, so it doesn’t matter how hard I work. It doesn’t matter what we all do as Black women, we’re still going to be swept underneath the rug. That’s why it boils my blood when people say it’s not about race, because it is."https://userinterface.us/news/tenne...sley-s-because-of-their-whiteness-356350.html

HEY A'ja - top female athlete earner seem to be black - Coco Gauff ($26 million off the tennis court). Then there's Simone, Serena & Allyson.
I'm very confused by this post.

The reach of Caitlin Clark news and this story still amazes me. They brought this topic up on a morning hits channel in Orlando. Not sports talk radio, two FM morning show hosts. Quantifying this boggles my mind.
With the NBA Finals in progress, this IS the story. By the way, both hosts were shocked she was left off. The noise surrounding this story is deafening.
Lol I just turned on the TV and happened upon Fox News and here's Clay Travis talking about Clark being snubbed.

yes it's all over texas radio, and not just sports. and sports radio, too. it's everywhere.

Last edited:

Here’s a thought. If you want to be really, really good at basketball, then work really hard at playing basketball. If you want to be really, really good at basketball AND be marketable, then maybe work really hard at playing basketball AND work really hard at marketing yourself. Just a suggestion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT