ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

I don't know. Clark has been around gays her whole career and many are her best friends. Its pretty obvious the main issue is her being the "golden child", both in terms of her stardom and the fact that she has brought a white majority into the WNBA's arena.
Definitely not suggesting CC has any issue with that. Reeve’s response on X was a pretty good indication that she’s willing to go to bat for her veterans of W and she seems to take issue with many things that Clark represents. This is nothing about CC and everything about the pettiness and disrespect displayed by not only the players but the coaches/team management.

Definitely not suggesting CC has any issue with that. Reeve’s response on X was a pretty good indication that she’s willing to go to bat for her veterans of W and she seems to take issue with many things that Clark represents. This is nothing about CC and everything about the pettiness and disrespect displayed by not only the players but the coaches/team management.
Not totally disagreeing either I'd say the pettiness break down would be something like 60% old guard envy, 30% racially motivated, and 10% because she's straight.....

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Yep it was on Sportcenter this morning at 7am. Funny though, NO mention of Reese not making the team???

I was listening to ESPN radio last night and some guy whose name I didn't recognize said "it's the Olympics; people were going to watch whether Caitlin was on the team or not."

He's missing the point, imo. There would have been millions more watching across the globe.

I was listening to ESPN radio last night and some guy whose name I didn't recognize said "it's the Olympics; people were going to watch whether Caitlin was on the team or not."

He's missing the point, imo. There would have been millions more watching across the globe.
Why would they watch now when they never have before? People watch gymnastics and swimming and track and field, not women’s basketball.

Just MORE drama that Catlin has to block out. It's incredible how the idiots in charge continue to do her NO favors.

I GUARANTEE that these idiots will decide to add Clark to the team and Caitlin will receive even more hate, because "she's only on the team because her millions of fans were outraged".

The incompetence is incredible.

Evidently they've already stated that the decision isn't set in stone yet, especially since it is likely that Chelsea Gray won't be able to play. If I'm the Aces management I would be putting a lot of pressure on her to not play. Not that these women get paid a lot, but I would be pissed if she were not able to play for the team that is paying her, she goes to the Olympics and reinjures her foot again and now I don't have her for the rest of the season either.

But then again, having Clark on the team is clearly going to cause team chemistry issues and I'm not sure how you overcome that, especially since not even the coach seems interested in doing anything about it. They've created a shit sandwich with no good outcome.
If Gray backs out, they will replace her with Ogunbowale.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Just MORE drama that Catlin has to block out. It's incredible how the idiots in charge continue to do her NO favors.

I GUARANTEE that these idiots will decide to add Clark to the team and Caitlin will receive even more hate, because "she's only on the team because her millions of fans were outraged".

Yep. Thats been my point as well. I could see her being added if Grey can't play and she'll get treated like dogshit by the vets and their followers. She just doesn't need more of this crap on top of everything else. Let them deal with the stupidity of her being kept off, and any fallout from the sponsors...

Meanwhile, Caitlin handles this situation like a pro. Like she always does.

I do wonder if she had any idea going into this that the women of the WNBA were this bad.
I think she had some idea, but probably not to this level. I know that both Kelsey Plum and Sabrina I. reached out to her. Plum spoke candidly about her struggles when she entered the league.

I haven’t either because it hasn’t been competitive—same for the men’s side. Mainly I prefer to watch so-called Olympic Sports that don’t have popular leagues in between. No interest in baseball for example, either.

I would likely have watched Caitlin if she were in this year’s Olympics—BUT—I would prefer she made it on merit rather than by popularity.
She’s a better player than Diana Taurasi RIGHT NOW. She can also do things with a basketball that Sabrina and Plum can’t do. I would love to see those 3 do what Caitlin does while being faceguarded all over the court.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Caitlin felt, if it comes to that, she would have to decline because it’s what’s best for the team, even though they would be better if she was on it. I feel bad for the kid. Nonstop bullshit she has to deal with.

The irony is that the decision makers are worried how Caitlin's millions of fans would have reacted to what would likely be limited playing time on a stacked roster.

They think this morning's reaction is going to be better?

There needs to be a changing of the old guard of women’s basketball.

Her fame is worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if U.S. games are boycotted. I hope so.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If Gray backs out, they will replace her with Ogunbowale.
And rightly so, Arika is 2nd in scoring and 1st in steals. She plays both ends of the court. Fans need to be realistic about this -- Clark is going to be a good player in the league, she's just not there yet. You have to pick your best players for the Olympics.

And rightly so, Arika is 2nd in scoring and 1st in steals. She plays both ends of the court. Fans need to be realistic about this -- Clark is going to be a good player in the league, she's just not there yet. You have to pick your best players for the Olympics.

Does 42 year old Diana Taurasi really belong on the team?

22-year-old Caitlin Clark's numbers are just as good as hers

Lolol.. And that would be absolutely FINE if thats what this was. Unfortunately no one can say that this is the best possible team. There is no way at 42 that DT is one of the best 15 players. She's not. And having a player on the roster who may not even be able to play shoots another whole in that theory. You said it yourself. Why is Arika not on that roster instead of several others?

Full text of tweet:

Caitlin Clark on NOT making the Olympic team:

- “Honestly, no disappointment. I think It just gives you something to work for. That’s a dream. Hopefully one day I can be there. It’s just a little more motivation, you remember that. Hopefully when four years comes back around I could be there.”

“They called me and let me know before everything came out which was really respectful of them… they did the same for every girl that made the team or every girl that didn’t make the team.”

“I’ve loved competing at every single second but it’s gonna be a great month for my body to get rest and get healthy and just get a little time away from basketball… additionally, a great opportunity for us to work and get better. A great opportunity for myself to get in the weight room, to work on the court and work on things that I want to get better at that maybe I didn’t have time going from college to the pro season .”

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT