ADVERTISEMENT

*****W Virginia vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

If Iowa can get to 85 pts they win it is that simple.....WV struggles to score and didn't look all that good offensively their first game.

I’m convinced Princeton was the tougher out. We will see, but I think this is a great matchup for us.

In fairness to Beth M, there are really no good female announcers 😯.

Really….. i’ve gotten to the point I prefer them… There are so many idiots in the booth anymore. Trying to be funny or cute or smart, my son and I make fun of them all day long while listening to games. There really isn’t one where I say. Oh thank goodness they’re doing the game.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Really….. i’ve gotten to the point I prefer them… There are so many idiots in the booth anymore. Trying to be funny or cute or smart, my son and I make fun of them all day long while listening to games. There really isn’t one where I say. Oh thank goodness they’re doing the game.
It was a a little tongue-in-cheek but, otoh, I can't say I've heard a good crew yet. Admittedly, a small sample size.

I think I would really enjoy a female crew if they could relate something unique to the women's game. I'm not even sure what that might be, but as is, it's just a lot of the same-ol-same-ol.

JMO

Reactions: cmhawks99
Moral, tonight:

75f55a2d3c78d9fe18f4ec9fe4668a93.gif

I had to go into work early today too, this is going to be a rough one. I regret never becoming a person that can take naps.

Hey, why didn't I think of that? Oh . . . maybe it's because if I turn off the volume (mute is a term some people use), then I can't hear the crowd noise either. Damn, there's always something . . . but thanks anyway, genius. LOL
Listen to AM 800 on iheart radio, that sincs up pretty close

Turn it down low enough where you can't hear the announcer but still loud enough you can hear the crowd. If there's something crucial you feel like you need to hear, turn it up. EZPZ.

I do this for football games and haven't cared about the announcers for years. They're never saying anything you need to hear anyway.
Thanks. This is a great idea, especially for basketball. I think I'll give it a try. Thank gawd for the wisdom and insight on this board.

Reactions: millah_22
7pm ESPN

These two schools haven’t played since Nov 2018 (84-81 Iowa victory).

WVU plays some string defense but I don’t think they enough offensive power. I’m seeing a 87-72 Hawkeye win tonight.
I think the lady hawks need to buckle up tonight. Caitlin and others are going to be bumped and checked more than against holy cross and CC didnt like that treatment very much with the lack of whistles.

Lady Hawks really like to play that clean uptempo offense and very good positional defense.

Not sure how WV is with height and rebounding but Iowa really rebounded well against holy cross to make up for some sloppy turnovers.

Reactions: Underscore2
The 2 guys in the booth for the Iowa men's game last night really were BAD in my opinion.

I think the lady hawks need to buckle up tonight. Caitlin and others are going to be bumped and checked more than against holy cross and CC didnt like that treatment very much with the lack of whistles.

Lady Hawks really like to play that clean uptempo offense and very good positional defense.

Not sure how WV is with height and rebounding but Iowa really rebounded well against holy cross to make up for some sloppy turnovers.
So you're saying Iowa's basketball players prefer playing basketball to rugby. I think you are correct. And I much prefer watching basketball instead of rugby. Any significant contact in basketball is, by rule, a foul. If the officials called the game that way, all this BS "physical" play would stop--men and women.

I am SO sick of seeing some behemoth repeatedly crash into a defender, knocking them back a few feet each time, until the offensive player is under the basket for a lay-up. That kind of garbage is ruining the game. And when "physical" play is allowed, it undermines the fundamental nature of basketball. The truth is, when one team plays rugby and the other plays basketball, it's a wonder there aren't fights all the time. If the officials won't protect the integrity of the game, what is a player supposed to do?

If you don't understand CC's frustration at this BS, you've never played basketball . . . not even at the Y or the rec center . . . where "physical" play results in payback.

Again, your description of Iowa is the definition of textbook basketball. It's a beautiful thing. James Naismith invented a noncontact sport. It's up to the officials to make sure every game is played that way. Sadly, few of them are up to the task.

They are not a particularly good rebounding team.

So you're saying Iowa's basketball players prefer playing basketball to rugby. I think you are correct. And I much prefer watching basketball instead of rugby. Any significant contact in basketball is, by rule, a foul. If the officials called the game that way, all this BS "physical" play would stop--men and women.

I am SO sick of seeing some behemoth repeatedly crash into a defender, knocking them back a few feet each time, until the offensive player is under the basket for a lay-up. That kind of garbage is ruining the game. And when "physical" play is allowed, it undermines the fundamental nature of basketball. The truth is, when one team plays rugby and the other plays basketball, it's a wonder there aren't fights all the time. If the officials won't protect the integrity of the game, what is a player supposed to do?

If you don't understand CC's frustration at this BS, you've never played basketball . . . not even at the Y or the rec center . . . where "physical" play results in payback.

Again, your description of Iowa is the definition of textbook basketball. It's a beautiful thing. James Naismith invented a noncontact sport. It's up to the officials to make sure every game is played that way. Sadly, few of them are up to the task.

I actually appreciate good defense, it’s why I am OK with Fran McCaffrey leaving because our men’s team couldn’t guard a fireplace if they were chained to it.

And I also really enjoy Iowa State “winning” but as I said to my uncle the other day, a huge Iowa State fan, I enjoy watching them play per se, but it is literally like watching a rugby match.

They absolutely beat the crap out of people!!

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT