ADVERTISEMENT

Warner

Agree he Wrestled his best match this year by far. Looked in far superior condition, which to me was the biggest + of the match.

If I was coaching him and picking the match apart a little. I did not like his straight on 1/2 shot that buckwheat reshot off of for a TD.

I believe he did it to prevent getting hit for a stalling call? I will never know the answer to that question, but if that was the case a low sweep since might have been a better option.

His defense of shots was great. Would like to see him work more to score from the sprawl as he does with lessor opponents.

Truly think he had his match strategy planned out, and worked it to perfection!

I was at the match and screaming when Warner scored the last second takedown. The plus - Warner wrestled well and had a huge smile the rest of the night and this will be a great confidence booster. The only minus - Brucki was clearly stronger than Warner and it seemed like he had an extra 5 pounds of muscle. As others have said, if Warner wants a national championship, hitting the weight room is a requirement.

Last edited:
I was at the match and screaming when Warren scored the last second takedown. The plus - Warren wrestled well and had a huge smile the rest of the night and this will be a great confidence booster. The only minus - Brucki was clearly stronger than Warren and it seemed like he had an extra 5 pounds of muscle. As others have said, if Warren wants a national championship, hitting the weight room is a requirement.

Who the hell is Warren?

I was at the match and screaming when Warren scored the last second takedown. The plus - Warren wrestled well and had a huge smile the rest of the night and this will be a great confidence booster. The only minus - Brucki was clearly stronger than Warren and it seemed like he had an extra 5 pounds of muscle. As others have said, if Warren wants a national championship, hitting the weight room is a requirement.

You know who else Brucki has an extra 5 lbs of muscle on? Everyone!

Who the hell is Warren?

CJ5lzOEXAAQAPI4.png

He needs to catch Moore right after weigh-ins to beat him. Otherwise he loses by several takedowns. Now, I do think he can beat anyone else at the weight. He just isn’t a guy that lights up the scoreboard.

Not sure I agree. Moore is the favorite for sure but I think his volume style is dangerous against a guy like Warner who thrives on reshots.

Reactions: depelland
Not sure I agree. Moore is the favorite for sure but I think his volume style is dangerous against a guy like Warner who thrives on reshots.

I would agree with that against a sluggish Moore. The weight cut hurts him as much as any Current DI starter. But, watch his matches when he is going several hours after a weigh-in. Sort of like Jaggers, a whole different wrestler.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
I was at the match and screaming when Warner scored the last second takedown. The plus - Warner wrestled well and had a huge smile the rest of the night and this will be a great confidence booster. The only minus - Brucki was clearly stronger than Warner and it seemed like he had an extra 5 pounds of muscle. As others have said, if Warner wants a national championship, hitting the weight room is a requirement.
Brucki is stronger than all the 97 pounders...

Reactions: Rawl
I would agree with that against a sluggish Moore. The weight cut hurts him as much as any Current DI starter. But, watch his matches when he is going several hours after a weigh-in. Sort of like Jaggers, a whole different wrestler.
I haven’t gone back and checked so I may be wrong, but doesn’t it look like Young has similar issues? Tough cut, but get some recovery time after weigh ins and he’s a different animal.

Is this true? Kollin Moore has had 2 close matches this year. One was in the finals of the MSU open way after weigh ins (10ish hours probably?). The other was in the quarters at Vegas which didn't start until 9pm eastern, so hours and hours after weigh ins again. On the flip side, he murdered top 10 Traxler on a one hour weigh in.

I think this weight cut thing for Moore is a myth from his sophomore year where he was really disappointing and people were trying to speculate why. After the season, he addressed it and said that the cut wasn't the problem, but that he struggled with the pressure and some nagging injuries. He said he only walks around in the low 200s. I haven't seen anything from him this year that says weight cut problems.

I was excited for Warner to pick up the last second win, but he was fortunate not to have gotten dinged for a second stalling (or more). The ref was proactive in calling stalls and Brucki was taking all the shots. It was tense wondering if Warner was going to lose a point as the match moved along.

Is this true? Kollin Moore has had 2 close matches this year. One was in the finals of the MSU open way after weigh ins (10ish hours probably?). The other was in the quarters at Vegas which didn't start until 9pm eastern, so hours and hours after weigh ins again. On the flip side, he murdered top 10 Traxler on a one hour weigh in.

I think this weight cut thing for Moore is a myth from his sophomore year where he was really disappointing and people were trying to speculate why. After the season, he addressed it and said that the cut wasn't the problem, but that he struggled with the pressure and some nagging injuries. He said he only walks around in the low 200s. I haven't seen anything from him this year that says weight cut problems.

He is NOT a small guy at 97 kg, or at least he was not 2 years ago. Most of those guys are walking around near 230. He may still be beating guys near weigh-ins, but the matches I have watched he has looked much more sluggish. Granted, most of that was prior to this season so maybe he has focused more on keeping his body closer to 197 than 97 kg. Mind you, that is almost a 17 lb difference.

I haven’t gone back and checked so I may be wrong, but doesn’t it look like Young has similar issues? Tough cut, but get some recovery time after weigh ins and he’s a different animal.

He is definitely not a small 157. But, you are better asking the guys on here that are closer to the program about his weight.

When i watch Warner wrestle and he gets into his over arm...under arm pummel i want to scream for a foot sweep !!!!!!!!! even if its not successful all the time it keeps the other guy from controlling the set up...just a simple pull down or arm throw over would really fit into his offensive attack series very well. He wrestled a much stronger opponent in Brucki but as my High school coach always said " with hauling all that excess muscle it often makes for poor mileage... lets see what the tank looks like after a busy 1st and 2nd period "

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
He is NOT a small guy at 97 kg, or at least he was not 2 years ago. Most of those guys are walking around near 230. He may still be beating guys near weigh-ins, but the matches I have watched he has looked much more sluggish. Granted, most of that was prior to this season so maybe he has focused more on keeping his body closer to 197 than 97 kg. Mind you, that is almost a 17 lb difference.
I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? Your entire argument is subjective.

He's done multiple interviews where he said his performance two years ago was a combination of too much pressure, nagging injuries that kept him from training hard, and burn out from not taking a break from competition for 2 straight years.

He had zero issues last year. He smashed everyone not named Bo Nickal. He had one OT match against Schultz, but he controlled the whole match and attacked the whole time. It went to OT because they shot at the same time with 10 seconds to go and Moore stumbled and gave up the takedown to tie with 1 second left. He then took Schultz down in the first 10 seconds of SV to win. No gassing problem there. He attacked to the final whistle.

Your entire position is based on internet poster speculation on his performance 2 years ago that has been directly refuted by him multiple times. You gotta catch up, friend.

I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? Your entire argument is subjective.

He's done multiple interviews where he said his performance two years ago was a combination of too much pressure, nagging injuries that kept him from training hard, and burn out from not taking a break from competition for 2 straight years.

He had zero issues last year. He smashed everyone not named Bo Nickal. He had one OT match against Schultz, but he controlled the whole match and attacked the whole time. It went to OT because they shot at the same time with 10 seconds to go and Moore stumbled and gave up the takedown to tie with 1 second left. He then took Schultz down in the first 10 seconds of SV to win. No gassing problem there. He attacked to the final whistle.

Your entire position is based on internet poster speculation on his performance 2 years ago that has been directly refuted by him multiple times. You gotta catch up, friend.

I am sorry, but I don't believe what they say when interviewed very often. Remember when McDonough and the entire coaching staff kept saying he just needs to wrestle better his senior year when asked if he was injured? I believe what I see in numbers though. Moore was cutting to make 97kg. That was an undeniable fact. Injuries may have exacerbated the issue, but he was cutting a LARGE amount of weight to wrestle 197 and his matches 2 years ago were rough when close to weigh-ins.

Now, I admitted that he may have that much more under control now. Maybe the cut is no longer a significant factor. Also, maybe he was just that much better than everyone he wrestled last season(other than Nickal). However, that still doesn't change my premise. He is a very large 197lber. I still think he is much more beatable closer to weigh-ins. It may not be the factor it was 2 years ago, but I think it is Warner's only shot and was really the only point of my original post.

I am sorry, but I don't believe what they say when interviewed very often. Remember when McDonough and the entire coaching staff kept saying he just needs to wrestle better his senior year when asked if he was injured? I believe what I see in numbers though. Moore was cutting to make 97kg. That was an undeniable fact. Injuries may have exacerbated the issue, but he was cutting a LARGE amount of weight to wrestle 197 and his matches 2 years ago were rough when close to weigh-ins.

Now, I admitted that he may have that much more under control now. Maybe the cut is no longer a significant factor. Also, maybe he was just that much better than everyone he wrestled last season(other than Nickal). However, that still doesn't change my premise. He is a very large 197lber. I still think he is much more beatable closer to weigh-ins. It may not be the factor it was 2 years ago, but I think it is Warner's only shot and was really the only point of my original post.

Citation?

Here he is in an interview after U23 trials right after his sophomore season:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6212262-kollin-moore-now-we-are-2-2

The interviewer asked why he went 97 kg instead of 92 kg. His answer was his elbows are banged up and 97 had a lot less guys signed up when he registered. He then said that 97 filled up afterwards, but that he didn't feel like cutting weight anyway so he stayed up at 97. Obviously, the implication there is that he was NOT cutting to 97 kg as you claimed (at least not much).

Here he is in an interview after U23 trials right after his sophomore season:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6212262-kollin-moore-now-we-are-2-2

The interviewer asked why he went 97 kg instead of 92 kg. His answer was his elbows are banged up and 97 had a lot less guys signed up when he registered. He then said that 97 filled up afterwards, but that he didn't feel like cutting weight anyway so he stayed up at 97. Obviously, the implication there is that he was NOT cutting to 97 kg as you claimed (at least not much).

I know he has been quoted that he walks around near 220. So, by definition he has to at least cut some to make 213 and quite a bit to make 197. Now, I didn't say he was cutting hard to make 213, just that any need to cut to that definitely means there is a substantial amount of meat that needs to be thinned out to make 197.

Again, maybe he has it much more under control because I haven't seen him focusing on International as much as he seemed to a while back. With today's use of nutrition vs. my time's more common way to cut weight, I could see him adjusting to maintain a weight much better during the season.

I have just watched his style and body type since his freshman season. His attack rate and visible rate of movement throughout a match decreased considerably his sophomore season, while his relative girth seemed visibly larger. Now, last season it seemed like he got some of that back and the size looked a bit trimmer. Still, he did make string bean Nickal look tiny in comparison.

I will say this, if he truly has his weight management under control, I don't think anyone touches him this season, close to weigh-ins or not.

I know he has been quoted that he walks around near 220. So, by definition he has to at least cut some to make 213 and quite a bit to make 197. Now, I didn't say he was cutting hard to make 213, just that any need to cut to that definitely means there is a substantial amount of meat that needs to be thinned out to make 197.

Again, maybe he has it much more under control because I haven't seen him focusing on International as much as he seemed to a while back. With today's use of nutrition vs. my time's more common way to cut weight, I could see him adjusting to maintain a weight much better during the season.

I have just watched his style and body type since his freshman season. His attack rate and visible rate of movement throughout a match decreased considerably his sophomore season, while his relative girth seemed visibly larger. Now, last season it seemed like he got some of that back and the size looked a bit trimmer. Still, he did make string bean Nickal look tiny in comparison.

I will say this, if he truly has his weight management under control, I don't think anyone touches him this season, close to weigh-ins or not.
Here is an interview he did about a few weeks after his sophomore season where you supposedly say he was walking around at 220:

At about 8 minutes in he says he was walking around about 203 and now has been eating a ton and lifting and is up to 208. He then says 197 is a perfect weight for him size wise and that he's not cutting much, but that he could see why people thought that because he looked tired. He then explains why he was actually struggling. This is a great interview and should clear up your misconceptions about his season.

Glad to see Warner get the win; however, he needs to get it in gear sooner and not hope for a freakish last second takedown. That is also a plan for losing.
Freakish. If that's freakish then I've witnessed countless freakish Iowa losses. ;)

Here is an interview he did about a few weeks after his sophomore season where you supposedly say he was walking around at 220:

At about 8 minutes in he says he was walking around about 203 and now has been eating a ton and lifting and is up to 208. He then says 197 is a perfect weight for him size wise and that he's not cutting much, but that he could see why people thought that because he looked tired. He then explains why he was actually struggling. This is a great interview and should clear up your misconceptions about his season.

Thanks for that, I appreciate all the looking up you did. I do, however, remember an interview where he says he is at least 217 in the summer. All of this aside, it wasn't really the key part to my original point. My point was Warner's chances beating Moore. If Moore does not have an issue with weight, I DO NOT see Warner beating him. So, if his problems were mainly injury and had little to nothing to do with cutting weight, I will be fully surprised if Moore doesn't finish this season undefeated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT