ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Missed first 5 minutes when they apparently made 8-9 turnovers

Impressed with what I saw. If learn to make FTs and Davis could shoot better they will win their share of games
If any of the guards could shoot better.... But they ARE doing a great job getting the ball inside, and Megan/Hannah are putting them down. There were stretches tonight when we were really clicking. But good lord - 23 TOs?!?

Just home from Carver. I was proud of the Hawks tonight. They went toe-to-toe with the #1 team and didn't back down.
They fell behind right of the bat with lots of TOs and failing to get back on D. But they settled down and closed the gap by the half. They started the 3rd by playing their best ball of the season. Cut way down on TOs and passed the ball really well. cut the lead to 2 and forced the Irish to call a time out. But two missed layups and three TOs opened the lead back to double digits.
Ally had 13 at half and ended with 18. Megan held her own with Turner, scoring 16 and getting 11 rebounds for another double-double.
The difference? Iowa shot 21% from 3pt. Ally was 3-5, the rest of the team 1-14.
Iowa was 6-16 from the FT line.
And again , 23 TOs.
The effort was there. Just need to take care of the ball and hit the FT and they would have been in it to the end. They were the first team this season to out-rebound ND (40-34). But giving up 21 points on TOs cost them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkahawk and 5Fan5
If any of the guards could shoot better.... But they ARE doing a great job getting the ball inside, and Megan/Hannah are putting them down. There were stretches tonight when we were really clicking. But good lord - 23 TOs?!?

You are correct. I singled out Davis as I was impressed that she played with more control than last year. There were turnovers from everyone but saw improvement. She made a coupld excellent feeds to Megan. Hoping their shooting will improve as season progresses and freshmen make fewer mistakes

Fun team to watch, effort is there,20% 3 point shooting and 40% free throws is mental the yips. Team needs to toughen up. Still love to watch them and they will only get better

Really like watching this team play. They should do well when Big 10 season starts. These freshman are going to be special.

I'm hoping Chase can return to her form from last year. They need her to step back up even though I like what I am seeing from Hannah. I would also like to see Alexa and Christina have solid games. Megan a double double.

Just my opinion, but I think Chase's best basketball has been when she was on the floor with Megan last year. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen, unless Lisa scraps the platoon system.

Just my opinion, but I think Chase's best basketball has been when she was on the floor with Megan last year. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen, unless Lisa scraps the platoon system.

My impression is that Coach Bluder's message to the team this year is that to be a starter you have to make a commitment to play defense. That is why the freshman Bre Cera continues to start over junior Chase Coley. Chase can't seem to change her high school method of playing defense, meaning allow your opponent to back you all the way down to the basket because you can always block the shot. That worked in high school but not in D1. Cera on the other hand can't shoot with the screws in her hand, as someone mentioned above, but she is the definition of scrappy.

However, in the 4th quarters this year, including last night, Bluder has gone with the Coley and Gustafson combo so maybe by Big Ten season Chase will realize what she has to do to earn more minutes. She only got 9 minutes total last night. At least they don't have her trying to play the 5 this year. Stewart has emerged as the backup there.

Chase Coley
Last season 31 starts 25.2 minutes per game
.522 FG% .811 FT% 5.9 rpg 11.1 ppg
This season 0 starts 13.5 minutes per game
.400 FG% .400 FT% 4.4 rpg 3.5 ppg
Obviously the platoon isn't working for Chase.
Instead of all five starters back, with Whitney's transfer and Chase's demotion, the Hawks have three starters back. And it shows.

Reactions: BGHAWK
I don't really like platoon system and agree Chase played best when arched with Megan last year.
I will say I was glad to see there was no major collapse when second group was playing last night. Don't understand why Bluder doing it this way but maybe sees it as easiest way to get 10 talented players on floor

I don't really like platoon system and agree Chase played best when arched with Megan last year.
I will say I was glad to see there was no major collapse when second group was playing last night. Don't understand why Bluder doing it this way but maybe sees it as easiest way to get 10 talented players on floor
I don't think there has been much of a drop off with the 2nd platoon in, in any game. But actually I don't think it was as clear a platoon-system last night. I may be wrong, but I don't think there were more than three subs at a time. And there were lots of different mixes of players on the court.

One thing I really like from Bluder this year, she's willing to sit a person who's not performing. If Chase comes into a game not playing defense, she's going to be watching from the bench. Last night Alexa had an immediate bad turnover and only had about five minutes the rest of the night. I'm sure Bluder is frustrated with these two about these very things. With this many great players on the team, everyone's figuring out they need to play focused from the moment they get in. If they don't there's someone just as good waiting for those minutes.

Had Iowa made some free throws last night, they would have led Notre Dame in the third quarter. Both Gustafson and Coley are or were great free throw shooters and they clanked them. Davis missed some. I don't expect Disterhoft to improve on FT at this juncture of her career, but Doyle really needs to work on it. Meyer and Cera too. Regarding 3-point shooters, maybe Iowa miss Jennings after all? I remember her shoot them fairly well.

Was really happy with the fight they displayed when down early by 14. Watching this particular game film should be a great teaching experience as it should be clear how good they can be when playing solid defense & valuing the basketball by making good decisions. The question is will it translate to future games? In regards to the poor outside shooting I don't see a quick fix & they just have to keep shooting it when a good opportunity presents itself. Ally Disterhoft & Tania Davis need to shoot it more as they are the best options right now with Christina Buttenham showing promise. The Freshman will hopefully come around as they get more comfortable, Makenzie Meyer has the best looking shot of the bunch so far & Bre Cera hasn't shown any offense at this level so far. I think the best/quickest opportunity for improvement is Alexa Kastanek as she is one of the best shooters on the team. The problem with her is she has been ice cold all season & is a turnover waiting to happen, the team really needs her so I hope she gets it figured out.

Reactions: LinusPF
The platoon system was being used throughout. Adjustments were made because of foul trouble. With this year's 4 out offense, Chase gets the ball way too often outside of the 3-point line. Her skill set isn't being used in the game planning this year.

The platoon system was being used throughout. Adjustments were made because of foul trouble. With this year's 4 out offense, Chase gets the ball way too often outside of the 3-point line. Her skill set isn't being used in the game planning this year.
Certainly looked that way last night.

I watched the UNI-SDSU game (did not see Iowa-SDSU), UNI stayed close until the 3rd Q when SDSU ran away with it. Final score appears closer than the game actually was due to some UNI subs hitting 3's in garbage time. I would not quite call SDSU goons, but they have plainly put in a lot of weight room time, always hustle and are constantly moving.

Iowa-UNI this Sunday should be an opportunity for the Hawks to get back on track. UNI has no match for Gustafson, and their leader Weekly, who will score a lot if not defended, can be bothered by aggressive defense (I assume Cera will guard her).

Now that it is Dec, I expect to here some news about Carly very soon. I think she is a 'wild card' factor for this team going forward. This is her third year now and was just beginning to show some glimpses of her potential early in the season last year. If she is going to get PT, I think she will need to compete for time at the 4 position. Ally can play more at the 3 and PT for Carly could come at the expense of one or more of the freshmen.

Chase has been an enigma. Early on last season she was starting at the five and while she was inconsistent, she was spectacular at times. Then as Megan emerged at the 5, Chase became a bit more consistent but also less spectacular. This seems like an experiment to make Chase into a 4. Hannah was working to play there last year and now she is starting to blossom. It also appears that she is playing some at both '4' and '5'. Ally has been playing mostly at the 4 so far this season, allowing the Freshmen guards to have more experience in games.

Alexas and Christina are playing much like they did last season. Alexas has had some very good games, but has been inconsistent like Chase. Christina has not really had any break-out game, but she has been steady.

I think Kathleen [Doyle] is starting to separate herself from the other freshmen. She is starting to get in a rhythm offensively and has been playing tenacious defense as well.

I said at the end of last season, that Megan would be a double double machine. I even thought so when she was still in HS. I'm certain she will graduate as the all-time leader of double doubles. I think she has a chance [in theory] to do it this season, but if not, then next year for sure. The only question in my mind is if she will average a double double for her career. She is almost there now.

Ally has had a high number of turnovers, especially the last few games. There is no doubt she has been the main focus of the opponents' defense, drawing their best defenders. She has also had a lot of assists. So it is clear that she is doing more of the ball handling.

I think Hannah is leading the race for most improved player of the year award and I think she is just going to keep getting better. I believe we shall see even greater performances throughout the rest of season. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a new career-high game for her in the very near future. Perhaps even today.

Last edited:
Carly suited up and went through warmups today. She is back practicing, in two minute stretches. She is expecting to see the court around Christmas time.
The Hawks came out strong against UNI. The TOs were down and the shooting was up. They were 11-16 from 3pt and 9-11 from the FT line. They won the rebounding battle again. The defense was good throughput. Won 88-39. The tirnover total was 21 (still too high), but 11 of those were in the 4th , at the end.
Ally led the scoring with 17 on 6-7 shooting, including 4-4 from three. She has been on a tear from the arc. In 22 minutes.
Megan had 12 in 22 minutes. UNI did a nice job with double teams when she got the ball. She had 17 rebounds and 4 blocks. Add another double-double to her list.
The FR guards did well. Kathleen and Bre had 7 (anew high for Bre), Makenzie came off the bench for 9 , a new career high(two threes and 6 rebounds), Chase and Hannah both added 7 (Hannah had 6 rebounds). Alexa and Christina had 5. Hailey got in and had 4. Actually 6, one was waved off. She beat everyone down the court and took a pass for a layup.

Last edited:
Good to see Carly dressed today so hopefully she can get healthy and stay healthy.

Ally now has 1704 career points. Haguejorde ended with 2059. Ally needs 356. She has a minimum of 22 games left. She would need to average 16.1 ppg to become the leader. She is currently averaging 18.0 ppg on 28 minutes and 10 shots per game.She played 36 minutes per game last season and scored the most points of any JR in Hawk history. If she stays healthy, she can do it. Especially if the Hawks advance in the B1G tournament and make a post-season tournament. She is currently 7th.

As a contrast, Cindy Haugejorde took 1,784 shots in her career. Ally has taken 1,159. Cindy took 570 shots in her SR season. The most Ally has taken was 380. In Haugejorde's time, Iowa was playing teams like Coe. Mt. Mercy, William Penn, etc. That is why I consider Lindsey Meder the real all time leader. Lindsey ended with 1,906. Ally still needs to pass Fran Price (1742), Jennie Lillis (1762), Michelle Edwards (1821), Jaime Printy (1841), then Meder, then Haugejorde.

On the other hand, I guess back in those days they didn't play 30 games a season, so Cindy Haugejorde probably scored quite a few more points per game.

Jaime Printy had a shot to break the record before she got injured. I think she missed 8 games, so it would have been quite tough, but she'd pass Meder for sure.

As a contrast, Cindy Haugejorde took 1,784 shots in her career. Ally has taken 1,159. Cindy took 570 shots in her SR season. The most Ally has taken was 380. In Haugejorde's time, Iowa was playing teams like Coe. Mt. Mercy, William Penn, etc. That is why I consider Lindsey Meder the real all time leader. Lindsey ended with 1,906. Ally still needs to pass Fran Price (1742), Jennie Lillis (1762), Michelle Edwards (1821), Jaime Printy (1841), then Meder, then Haugejorde.

Allie also has the advantage of the three point shot.

Thanks Oakhawk for your comments. The women's shooting against UNI was phenomenal. (I'm sure Notre Dame, UCLA and SDSU had something to do with Iowa's poor shooting.) I believe they are all very good shooters. They just need more game time experience and they will get even better.

But at least just as impressive as their offensive efficiency, was their defensive fg% (especially on the perimeter) and the 6 blocks. They are also showing impressive rebounding.

Turnovers have been an issue but those should also decrease as the players 'gel' more.

Also thanks for mentioning the new highs for Bre and Makenzie. Hannah was very productive in the limited minutes that she played.

Last edited:
Disterhoft chases Hawkeyes scoring mark

With at least 21 games remaining in her college career, Disterhoft would need to average 16.9 points over the rest of the season to break the long-standing record. She is 58 points away from climbing into the top five on the list.

Disterhoft has hit 11-of-15 shots from 3-point range in Iowa’s last four games, raising her scoring average to 18 points per game and continuing the senior guard’s steady climb on the Hawkeyes’ career scoring chart.

The Hawks crushed the Clones 88-76. They led by 22 at one point but the refs started calling all kinds of cheap touch fouls to let the Clones get closer.
Tania had a new career high with 23, Kathleen Doyle had a career high with 17. For the second straight game the Hawks shot the 3 very well. The Hawks were 13-21 for 62% and held ISU to 21%. Megan with a double-double (19 and 13). Tania 5-6 3pt.
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2016/12/7/IOWA10.pdf

Reactions: Tunadog
The Hawks crushed the Clones 88-76. They led by 22 at one point but the refs started calling all kinds of cheap touch fouls to let the Clones get closer.
Tania had a new career high with 23, Kathleen Doyle had a career high with 17. For the second straight game the Hawks shot the 3 very well. The Hawks were 13-21 for 62% and held ISU to 21%. Megan with a double-double (19 and 13). Tania 5-6 3pt.
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2016/12/7/IOWA10.pdf

I only saw last 15 minutes but was impressed. Doyle played well and it seemed Iowa's defense was more aggressive than in recent years. Or maybe just better able to match up with ISU. Hopefully the 3 point accuracy continues.

The Ames tribune reported that the cyclones 'held' Ally to 14 points.
If everybody holds Disterhoft to 14 points, she won't be able to break the career scoring record, you know. So, any time Disterhoft scores less than 17 points, it's a small victory for the opponent:)

All the Iowa starters are good defenders, Davis: very quick; Disterhoft: very tall with long arms for a perimeter player; Cera: tenacious defender; Doyle: quick and strong; Gustafson: big and strong, takes up space in the middle. And they don't have to play long minutes to get tired out, which helps too.

All the Iowa starters are good defenders, Davis: very quick; Disterhoft: very tall with long arms for a perimeter player; Cera: tenacious defender; Doyle: quick and strong; Gustafson: big and strong, takes up space in the middle. And they don't have to play long minutes to get tired out, which helps too.

I just dont think come conference time that Lisa can stay with this lineup, I think she will need 2 bigs on the court at the same time. Bigs being Meg, Chase, Hannah, and Carly

I just dont think come conference time that Lisa can stay with this lineup, I think she will need 2 bigs on the court at the same time. Bigs being Meg, Chase, Hannah, and Carly
I hope Carly can make solid contribution this season. That will be great. She's a good rebounder, too.

Mak Meyer is the one doing the "Worm" with Lisa. Mak does an excellent version.

ISU #3 in the country in FG % coming in. The Hawks held them to 26%. The clones had just hit 10-15 threes against #6 Mississippi State. Iowa held them to 6-28.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT