ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

SDSU is a veteran team that almost upset #4 seed Stanford in the second round of the NCAA tournament last year. They are among other teams receiving votes in the Top 25 now. They were a stiff test for a young Hawkeye squad still making lots of mistakes. I give Lisa Bluder credit for scheduling a tough opponent every year in the Hawkeye Challenge instead of guaranteeing a championship. The coaching staff will have lots of teaching material now.
Ok not a bad loss. Hopefully they improve from this

Well, looks like Penn State has turned around. Just beat #13 Tennessee by 14 points, 70 to 56. Or is Tennessee not good this year?

I think we played too much man. It felt like the whole game. We just don't have enough quickness..and it brought Chase and Megan too far away from the basket. But obviously we lost simply because we shot poorly, and that was regardless of which platoon was on the court.

Too many turnovers. Missed a lot of lay-ups. Fouls not called (SDSU fouled with the body, they would put their hands up and then shove with the lower body on shooters). Came out sluggish. Should have been a win.
SDSU is a good team with some goons and shooters.

Really bad day for turnovers mostly the freshmen. Think we had more turnovers then made baskets at half. We tied the game in the 4th with Coley, Megan, Ally, Tania and either Doyle or Kastanek . SD made the winning shot near the final horn.

Too many turnovers. Missed a lot of lay-ups. Fouls not called (SDSU fouled with the body, they would put their hands up and then shove with the lower body on shooters). Came out sluggish. Should have been a win.

We've been vulnerable to teams that play that way for a long time, and it often is not called. I don't understand why WBB has evolved to favor thug-ball over skills, but it is what it is.

I suspect the turnovers will get cleaned up, but I also suspect that for all of the talent, we just are not a team of great shooters.

We've been vulnerable to teams that play that way for a long time, and it often is not called. I don't understand why WBB has evolved to favor thug-ball over skills, but it is what it is.
Might that be the reason why the young players kept missing lay-ups? Only Disterhoft and Kastanek seemed to be able to make those.

On a lighter note, Iowa's last score can almost be made into a designed play:) Let the small, quick Tania Davis drive to the basket to wipe out all the defenders and throw up a shot, and then let Megan Gustafson grab the rebound and make the put back with no defenders on their feet around her.

Reactions: LinusPF
At least Ally had 4 steals and 1 block, that kind of wipes out the 5 turnovers. And had 16 points.

Davis had one turnover in 31 minutes of play, and Doyle also only had one in 24 minutes, so at least they were solid. Gustafson only had one in 31 minutes, but sure she's not the point guard.

Who should've been defending their best player #12 for their last shot? As well as for the whole game? She wouldn't have had 22 pts and 10 rebounds I can tell you that!

Goons? Not exactly a tempered evaluation. What word will you use for the much more physical players we'll see going forward?

Who should've been defending their best player #12 for their last shot? As well as for the whole game? She wouldn't have had 22 pts and 10 rebounds I can tell you that!
Ant , appreciate your support of Bre, but I watched her specially and although she did bring a lot of energy, SDS's "slow" players got past her more times than not. She's a freshman; she might very well be the defender you think she is, but she needs a few more games,

Next up...#9 UCLA.
One of the assistant coaches for UCLA is Shannon Perry. She played at Iowa under Vivian Stringer. Perry graduated in 1998 from the University of Iowa with a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and communication studies, where she graduated with honors. She was a four-year letter winner at Iowa from 1995-98 and was regarded as the team's leading defensive player throughout that time. She led the Hawkeyes to the 1997 Big Ten Tournament title and 1996 and 1998 regular season titles. Her teams advanced to the NCAA Tournament her final three seasons and made a trip to the Sweet 16 in 1996. Additionally, she was a three-time All-Big Ten Academic selection and received the 1998 Robin Roberts/WBCA Sports Communication Scholarship award and the 1998 NCAA Women’s Enhancement Post-Graduate Scholarship award.

I remember Shannon Perry being a very good player. But in her class, there were Tangela Smith, Angela Hamblin, Tiffany Gooden and Nadine Domond, all great offensive players so her contribution turned towards defense.

By the way she served as a graduate assistant under Angie Lee for a year before the whole coaching staff was fired. Might she hold a grudge against Iowa?

UCLA Women's Basketball Home

UCLA News at ESPN

TEAM STATISTICS UCLA/Opp

SCORING 327/250
Points per game 81.8/62.5
Scoring margin +19.25

FIELD GOALS-ATT 108-264/89-260
Field goal pct .409/.342

3 POINT FG-ATT 33-101/24-79
3-point FG pct .327/.304
3-pt FG made per game 8.25/6.0

FREE THROWS-ATT 78-114/48-72
Free throw pct .684/.667
F-Throws made per game 19.5/12.0

REBOUNDS 189/158
Rebounds per game 47.2/39.5
Rebounding margin +7.75

ASSISTS 65/48
Assists per game 16.25/12.0

TURNOVERS 62/81
Turnovers per game 15.5/20.25
Assist/turnover ratio 1.0/0.6
Turnover margin +4.75

STEALS 46/28.
Steals per game 11.5/7.0

BLOCKS 28/14
Blocks per game 7.0/3.5

Last edited:
Hawkeyes acted their age for first time against South Dakota State

Underclassmen played 119 of Iowa’s 200 minutes Sunday. The Jackrabbits played underclassmen just 54 minutes.

The Jackrabbits [who beat #19 ranked Miami and lost by only one point to Stanford in last year's NCAA west regional tournament] returning players accounted for 132 points and 53 rebounds in those two tourney games.

I would also mention that SDSU had two seniors, two Juniors and one sophomore in their starting lineup. Combined they had nearly twice as many career starts and total minutes played as Iowa.
Also, SDSU lost to #13 ranked Oklahoma last night 74-60 while Oral Roberts took Kansas to two OT's before losing 64-56.

Iowa lost to UCLA 78 to 65. When I stopped watching early in the second quarter, Iowa was leading 31 to 30, despite some very sloppy play, including yet another missed layup by a freshman player. Davis had made 3 3-pointers by then, I believe. So what happened after that? Did UCLA step up on defense? Did Iowa run into foul trouble?

Iowa lost to UCLA 78 to 65. When I stopped watching early in the second quarter, Iowa was leading 31 to 30, despite some very sloppy play, including yet another missed layup by a freshman player. Davis had made 3 3-pointers by then, I believe. So what happened after that? Did UCLA step up on defense? Did Iowa run into foul trouble?
Iowa was up 35-30 and a UCLA three off an offensive rebound followed by two quick Iowa turnovers lead to four quick points. Iowa was down 37-35 and I don't think Iowa ever led again after that. It felt like that was the turning point. UCLA started hitting more shots in the second half and Iowa just couldn't keep up.

Megan did have two fouls in the first quarter and sat most of the first half. Hannah played well at the 5 when she was in. Iowa had a few too many turnovers and wasn't hitting consistently on mid range and outside the arc.

UCLA continue to play that zone defense most of the game & the only foul issue was with Megan Gustafson in the first half. The zone appeared to really throw the entire team off & UCLA stopped Iowa's transition game which was working well in the first half. What I felt really did Iowa in were turnovers & ice cold outside shooting once again. Most noticeable were Ally Disterhoft with 7 turnovers & Alexa Kastanek going 1-10 from 3 attempting to get something going. The bright spots were Megan Gustafson when they could get her the ball she scored easily & Hannah Stewart player her best game with 10 points / 6 boards. The Freshman all struggled offensively with Kathleen Doyle (back as a starter) looking the most ready with her aggressive play at both ends.

They weren't over matched against the #11 ranked team but were their own worst enemy so to speak. They have to make layups, find consistent outside shooting, & cut down turnovers (piled up in the 3rd quarter) if they want to win games against the better teams on the schedule.

Looks like the sophomores all played well, including Hanna Stewart. Maybe Carly Mohns can be a spark as well, if she can come back to play effectively.

The Hawks got open looks from 3pt, but only shot 25%. The second half they took 30 shots, 15 of them threes. They made 2 of those 15. That was the game.
Turnovers were a problem again. Most of those were on bad passes. They need to take care of the ball.
Megan had 15 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes. Hannah had 10 and 6 in 13 minutes. There were points to be had on the inside. Yet Alexa launched 10 threes in 12 minutes of play, made 1.
Ally had 7 TO. For a veteran that is way too many. The Hawks were in this game and could have won with fewer TO and fewer missed open threes.
James Madison won't be easy. And then #1Notre Dame.

Someone needs to step up and make threes consistently or all they'll see is zone. Plus the freshman need to start scoring some points. Hopefully that comes with some more experience. Hannah has been a pleasant suprise.

Tania seems to be the best (at this point the only) 3-point shooter. When Logic was a freshman, Kamille Whalin was the point guard and a better shooter than Sam. When Lisa moved Sam to point and Whalin to shooting guard, the team improved quite a bit. Not saying Doyle can be another Logic, but it might be worth a look.

Why has Coley been reduced to such a minor role? Not a power forward next to Gustafson? Seems she is very talented and not being utilized to turn her loose?

Why has Coley been reduced to such a minor role? Not a power forward next to Gustafson? Seems she is very talented and not being utilized to turn her loose?

Maybe Lisa is still playing the platoon system and Coley is on the second bunch. I wish she would start Coley along with Ally, Megan, Doyle and Davis and then sub from there, but have her best 5 playing together. Just my opinion and not worth much.

Reactions: conn53victor
She disappears defensively. She had two consecutive bad defensive possessions Wed nite and after didn't see the court again. It's a shame because she's a great shot blocker when she chooses to actually play defense. And of course her passing and her mid-range shot making can be great. In her defense, it seems she's been at the top of the key playing defense this season. She's not going to block any shots from there?!?

Cancun All-Tournament Team. Congrats to Gustafson.

RIVIERA ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Jordan Canada – UCLA (MVP)
Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott – Toledo
Megan Gustafson - Iowa
Precious Hall – JMU
Mackenzie Latt – Davidson
Estefania Ors – Idaho State

Since losing by 15 at home to Iowa, North Dakota is 1-1, with its loss coming at [Lawrence] Kansas in double overtime. Next week they host Summit League power SDSU who narrowly won against Iowa last week. Meanwhile, SDSU lost to ranked Oklahoma in Norman during Thanksgiving.

Prior to playing Iowa, James Madison played and lost to both Tennessee (81-69) and Florida State (84-64). They play Rutgers next week.

Last edited:
Tonight #1 Notre Dame comes to Carver. I hope the Hawks challenge them.

IOWA WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Hawkeyes welcome test against top-ranked Irish

Coach Muffet McGraw’s team is deep and balanced, with sophomore guard Arike Ogunbowale leading three Notre Dame players who average in double figures.

The younger sister of Wisconsin running back Dare Ogunbowale averages 17.7 points per game and is one of six Fighting Irish players who average at least 8.5 points per game.

Freshman Bre Cera, who like Ogunbowale is from the Milwaukee area, draws the initial assignment of defending Notre Dame’s scoring leader.

I'll be satisfied if Iowa can stay within 20 points with Notre Dame.
I'm hoping Chase can return to her form from last year. They need her to step back up even though I like what I am seeing from Hannah. I would also like to see Alexa and Christina have solid games. Megan a double double.

Lady Hawks only down 2 with 3 min left in 3rd quarter vs #1 Norte Dame.

Missed first 5 minutes when they apparently made 8-9 turnovers

Impressed with what I saw. If learn to make FTs and Davis could shoot better they will win their share of games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT